[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 11:39:07 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8337384 times)

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/17
« Reply #9900 on: October 10, 2017, 01:53:31 PM »
Why does everyone assume all black athletes come from poor families? Not all black people are poor , many of us work hard and do things the right way. The media just shines the light on the bad actors and ignores the rest of us who are diligent.

Bowen and his family knew the score from day one and they were out for themselves. They could have cared less about the University they were attending. It was all a means to an end. It was so evident from the various  TV interviews he had.  So yes ,I think Pitino should go down, I also think the kid should pay a penalty too. Every kid today knows it is against the NCAA rules to take bribes. They drill it into these kids at an early age at clinics etc.

I don't know what the right penalty for the kid should be. Possibly ban from NCAA for 2 years but allow them to go to Juco. It is a privilege to play D1 sports and kids and their familes  should understand that.

I do not think Bowen will ever make to college.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9901 on: October 10, 2017, 07:15:44 PM »
Uhh...thats a slightly different question.

Not really.  If you drop the amateur status and make them employees that can receive financial incentives to play sports, then the element of equity comes into play.  They cannot be separated. 

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #9902 on: October 10, 2017, 08:13:36 PM »
Kentucky head coach John Calipari was in town today to see 6’6 Quentin Grimes (2018/PG). #Top100Talent @qdotgrimes

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #9903 on: October 10, 2017, 09:07:54 PM »
Why does everyone assume all black athletes come from poor families?

Pretty sure the majority of D1 scholarships are going to middle class families now anyways.  Those are the families (black, white, or whatever) that can afford the camps and travel teams and everything else that comes with becoming a high level athlete.  There are still isolated rags-to-riches stories, like DWade, but they are far from the norm nowadays. 

The Undefeated had a good scoop on this issue earlier this year: https://theundefeated.com/features/gentrification-of-ncaa-division-1-college-basketball/

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9904 on: October 11, 2017, 05:37:52 AM »
Pretty sure the majority of D1 scholarships are going to middle class families now anyways.  Those are the families (black, white, or whatever) that can afford the camps and travel teams and everything else that comes with becoming a high level athlete.  There are still isolated rags-to-riches stories, like DWade, but they are far from the norm nowadays. 

The Undefeated had a good scoop on this issue earlier this year: https://theundefeated.com/features/gentrification-of-ncaa-division-1-college-basketball/

I don't buy the idea that poor kids getting to play college bball is isolated. I'm guessing your source is very political & leans heavily a certain way.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #9905 on: October 11, 2017, 06:46:28 AM »
I don't buy the idea that poor kids getting to play college bball is isolated. I'm guessing your source is very political & leans heavily a certain way.

Who was the last definitively "poor kid" to hoop at Marquette?  Out best players of recent years have all been from middle class families: Ellensons, Hausers, Howard, Duane, etc.  Hell, even the players from really disadvantaged backgrounds like JFB were helped by generous middle class donors.  College sports is not the ticket out of poverty anymore for all but a select few.  As a teacher in an urban area, I'm constantly trying to remind kids who are good but not otherworldly basketball, football, or soccer players that just being the third best player at St. Cats isn't going to get them out of the Racine hood.  The only kid to go D1 from my school in the last 3-4 years was the daughter of the richest donor at the school, and she was playing golf.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9906 on: October 11, 2017, 07:05:52 AM »
Who was the last definitively "poor kid" to hoop at Marquette?  Out best players of recent years have all been from middle class families: Ellensons, Hausers, Howard, Duane, etc.  Hell, even the players from really disadvantaged backgrounds like JFB were helped by generous middle class donors.  College sports is not the ticket out of poverty anymore for all but a select few.  As a teacher in an urban area, I'm constantly trying to remind kids who are good but not otherworldly basketball, football, or soccer players that just being the third best player at St. Cats isn't going to get them out of the Racine hood.  The only kid to go D1 from my school in the last 3-4 years was the daughter of the richest donor at the school, and she was playing golf.

Steve Taylor. But in general,  you are spot on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/03/opinion/sunday/in-the-nba-zip-code-matters.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all&
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:07:00 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #9907 on: October 11, 2017, 08:08:46 AM »
Why do people assume that Quinerly only got $15k?  In the call transcript, Book said he needed $15k MORE to secure a commitment from the player. I took this as "what we already offered wasn't good enough."  They also mentioned they were in a bidding war with another school (presumed to be Miami) for another recruit.

Fingers crossed for Dotson to commit to Kansas!  Also that Wojo brings out the ice cream truck in 10 days.

Does anyone know what's up with Nobal Days' recruitment?  Bucky fans already have him on their 2019 roster.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9908 on: October 11, 2017, 08:34:37 AM »
Bucky fans always assume that any player from Wisconsin is going to be in their roster. If they end up somewhere else its because either a) they didn't want him anyway b) the other coach cheated c)  he's too dumb to go to Madison d) some combination of a,  b,  & c.

That being said,  Ive heard he's a badger lean. Maybe kicking their butts the next two years will change his mind ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #9909 on: October 11, 2017, 08:47:38 AM »
I'm honestly lukewarm on Nobal Days.  He'll probably be a serviceable PF in college but I don't think he'll be a star.  Would rather see some guards added in the next class.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #9910 on: October 11, 2017, 09:27:11 AM »
Out of curiosity would you fee different if one of them took a bribe in the business world? Perhaps during an internship or something?

I would feel differently if an 18 year old took a bribe to do something illegal, rather than to make a decision about where to go to school that only violates the rules of an organization which is trying to keep its costs down.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9911 on: October 11, 2017, 09:40:42 AM »
I would feel differently if an 18 year old took a bribe to do something illegal, rather than to make a decision about where to go to school that only violates the rules of an organization which is trying to keep its costs down.
Breaking an NCAA rule is not criminally  illegal. However, It is hard to believe he would not know it would end his eligibility if caught.
It becomes illegal, if he does not report it on his income taxes. I am pretty sure that was not going to happen.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #9912 on: October 11, 2017, 09:46:54 AM »
Bucky fans always assume that any player from Wisconsin is going to be in their roster. If they end up somewhere else its because either a) they didn't want him anyway b) the other coach cheated c)  he's too dumb to go to Madison d) some combination of a,  b,  & c.

That being said,  Ive heard he's a badger lean. Maybe kicking their butts the next two years will change his mind ;D

C is what cracks me up the most.  The reason Diamond stone got away!
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9913 on: October 11, 2017, 09:48:11 AM »
C is what cracks me up the most.  The reason Diamond stone got away!

No man, it's that Maryland got UnderArmour to give Diamond's dad a high paying job he doesn't deserve!  (Forget that UW was well into the process of switching to UnderArmour...)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #9914 on: October 11, 2017, 10:12:06 AM »
No man, it's that Maryland got UnderArmour to give Diamond's dad a high paying job he doesn't deserve!  (Forget that UW was well into the process of switching to UnderArmour...)

That to me is F, cheating on Under Armour.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #9915 on: October 11, 2017, 10:25:19 AM »
Why do people assume that Quinerly only got $15k?  In the call transcript, Book said he needed $15k MORE to secure a commitment from the player. I took this as "what we already offered wasn't good enough."  They also mentioned they were in a bidding war with another school (presumed to be Miami) for another recruit.

Yup, the indictment had Book on tape asking for a 15k "advance." The actual price was 5k a month.

And as to the topic as a whole, I think this paragraph is particularly enraging.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #9916 on: October 11, 2017, 10:44:49 AM »

Don't forget e) Joey wanted to go to UW, but his mom insisted he go to Marquette.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #9917 on: October 11, 2017, 11:35:23 AM »
Breaking an NCAA rule is not criminally  illegal. However, It is hard to believe he would not know it would end his eligibility if caught.
It becomes illegal, if he does not report it on his income taxes. I am pretty sure that was not going to happen.

The discusion between Bagpiping Boxer and myself didn't involve whether accepting a payment to go to a particular school violated NCAA rules, it was whether the NCAA rule was moral, that's why BB brought up the alternative situation of an 18 year old doing an intership. 

I would go even further and suggest that NCAA restrictions on payments to "student-athlete" are illegal under anti-trust laws currently on the books.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9918 on: October 11, 2017, 11:38:49 AM »
Don't forget e) Joey wanted to go to UW, but his mom insisted he go to Marquette.
Weird .... same thing happened with Wes Matthews.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9919 on: October 11, 2017, 12:28:35 PM »
Hearing some movement on the Dotson to Maryland front. Starting to lean towards them as the likely destination. If it happens we will have to beat Kansas outright for Grimes. Doable, but much more difficult.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9920 on: October 11, 2017, 01:17:57 PM »
Probably gettin’ da old UA payday, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #9921 on: October 11, 2017, 01:20:21 PM »
Hearing some movement on the Dotson to Maryland front. Starting to lean towards them as the likely destination. If it happens we will have to beat Kansas outright for Grimes. Doable, but much more difficult.

I'd be very worried about Kansas if I were QG. 

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #9922 on: October 11, 2017, 01:33:05 PM »

Adidas-wise?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9923 on: October 11, 2017, 01:40:23 PM »
Tornados?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #9924 on: October 11, 2017, 02:06:21 PM »
Adidas-wise?

I have to imagine that Self is very involved in the current happenings.