[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8338291 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 8/1/17
« Reply #8900 on: August 09, 2017, 10:56:53 AM »
If he wants to go to Kentucky or Kansas or Arizona, he better get used to getting recruited over.

Why?  There are a total of 5 unsigned guards ahead of Grimes in the rankings, and a total of 1 committed guards going to one of the schools he's looking at ahead of him.  And not all of those unsigned guards are going to end up at Kentucky, Kansas, or Arizona.  He can play either guard position.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #8901 on: August 09, 2017, 11:00:44 AM »
Says the number one advocate of Marquette recruiting over players?????

I guess you don't buy into Wojo's recent pronouncements that MU isn't backing down from anyone on the recruiting trail.

I advocate for recruiting over players that are at the end of the bench.  If you go to a Kentucky, Kansas or Arizona and don't go 1 and done, you're going to be recruited over every year by more 5 star players that think they are 1 and dones.

MU has landed one 5 star player since I started following Marquette in 08-09. Big difference. If Grimes comes to Marquette, he is far less likely to get recruited over than he is at a blue blood.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #8902 on: August 09, 2017, 11:03:58 AM »
Why?  There are a total of 5 unsigned guards ahead of Grimes in the rankings, and a total of 1 committed guards going to one of the schools he's looking at ahead of him.  And not all of those unsigned guards are going to end up at Kentucky, Kansas, or Arizona.  He can play either guard position.

Wasn't necessarily just referring to his class.  As I just said in my last post, blue bloods cycle through 5 star players each year.  If you don't make a big splash a freshman and enter the NBA, chances are you are going to be recruited over as a sophomore.  And again as junior.  And again as senior.  Many guys who go to blue bloods and don't have huge freshman years leave because they see the writing on the wall.  Charles Matthews and even Semi Ojileye are two recent examples off the top of my head.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8903 on: August 09, 2017, 11:10:01 AM »
I advocate for recruiting over players that are at the end of the bench.  If you go to a Kentucky, Kansas or Arizona and don't go 1 and done, you're going to be recruited over every year by more 5 star players that think they are 1 and dones.

MU has landed one 5 star player since I started following Marquette in 08-09. Big difference. If Grimes comes to Marquette, he is far less likely to get recruited over than he is at a blue blood.

Weren't blue and Johnson rated 5 stars by a recruiting service? I know they weren't unanimous but just wanted to nit pick
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8904 on: August 09, 2017, 11:17:40 AM »
Weren't blue and Johnson rated 5 stars by a recruiting service? I know they weren't unanimous but just wanted to nit pick

I know at least one service had Blue as a 5-star. Johnson was at one point, not sure if he ended up there. I believe Howard was before reclassifying. Of course, Jamil Wilson was also a 5-star early on, but fell in the rankings prior to his Oregon commitment.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #8905 on: August 09, 2017, 11:19:02 AM »

Sure, but I am talking consensus top 15 recruits.  Blue and Johnson were in the 30s in most services, no?  Don't even think Grimes fits that description, which is even moreso to my point of if he is super concerned about playing time and exposure, a blue blood probably isn't in his best interest.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8906 on: August 09, 2017, 11:35:12 AM »
if he is super concerned about playing time and exposure, a blue blood probably isn't in his best interest.

Not necessarily. Grimes is a talent, he will carve out playing time no matter which of his final 7 he ends up at. Remember, Kentucky regularly sends guys who played like 10 minutes a game into the NBA. You don't have to be a star at a blue blood to get drafted. If getting starter level minutes is what's important to him than you might have more of an argument.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #8907 on: August 09, 2017, 11:37:52 AM »
Not necessarily. Grimes is a talent, he will carve out playing time no matter which of his final 7 he ends up at. Remember, Kentucky regularly sends guys who played like 10 minutes a game into the NBA. You don't have to be a star at a blue blood to get drafted. If getting starter level minutes is what's important to him than you might have more of an argument.

I literally mentioned playing time in what you quoted.  The kid was recently quoted saying something along the lines of he likes Marquette because he can come in day 1 and and it be his team.  That sounds to me like a guy that wants and expects to play more than 10 MPG.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8908 on: August 09, 2017, 11:41:11 AM »
I literally mentioned playing time in what you quoted.  The kid was recently quoted saying something along the lines of he likes Marquette because he can come in day 1 and and it be his team.  That sounds to me like a guy that wants and expects to play more than 10 MPG.

Yes but that doesn't necessarily mean that a blue blood isn't his best option, especially from an exposure standpoint. As much as we like to focus on playing time, it is one of dozens of factors that go into a recruit's decision.
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #8909 on: August 09, 2017, 11:43:10 AM »
Yes but that doesn't necessarily mean that a blue blood isn't his best option, especially from an exposure standpoint. As much as we like to focus on playing time, it is one of dozens of factors that go into a recruit's decision.

No doubt, but PT is certainly higher on the scales of importance for some.  With his tweet last night after the Quinerly news and his comments about MU in recent interviews, my educated guess is that it is quite important to Mr. Grimes. 

lessthannick11

• Team Captain
« Reply #8910 on: August 09, 2017, 12:13:14 PM »
I think you are missing where the humiliation may lie.  Whisky would be taking a recruit whose father is a mid-major assistant, won't be here long enough to see him play in Madison as the MU job is a stepping stone and comes from a program that is squirmy.

What?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8911 on: August 09, 2017, 12:36:57 PM »
Ya, that Blackheart should be banned.  Always negative.

Good catch!

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #8912 on: August 09, 2017, 12:53:14 PM »
Glow, I noticed you don't have Jalen Johnson on your list for 2020 recruits.  According to Rivals, Marquette offered him on June 20.  Badger fans believe he is a Wisconsin lock.

And by the way, what's with all these guys named Jalen in the 2019 and 2020 classes?  Is it because Jalen Rose played all over the country in the NBA 15-20 years ago?
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8913 on: August 09, 2017, 01:07:12 PM »
Glow, I noticed you don't have Jalen Johnson on your list for 2020 recruits.  According to Rivals, Marquette offered him on June 20.  Badger fans believe he is a Wisconsin lock.

And by the way, what's with all these guys named Jalen in the 2019 and 2020 classes?  Is it because Jalen Rose played all over the country in the NBA 15-20 years ago?

To respond to your first statement, I just wanted to make sure that you were paying proper attention.  As to your second question, I'd suggest you query Jamiljamesjareljaheedjamisonjohnson Bob Jr. (Southern cousin to our beloved scooper.)   ;D

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8914 on: August 09, 2017, 01:10:50 PM »

Yeah Jalen really never appeared as a name until the Fab 4.  It was a "made up" name in the first place - Rose was named after his father James (Jimmy Walker) and uncle Leonard.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8915 on: August 09, 2017, 01:26:56 PM »

Yeah Jalen really never appeared as a name until the Fab 4.  It was a "made up" name in the first place - Rose was named after his father James (Jimmy Walker) and uncle Leonard.

That's kinda awesome

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8916 on: August 09, 2017, 02:44:40 PM »
I think you are missing where the humiliation may lie.  Whisky would be taking a recruit whose father is a mid-major assistant, won't be here long enough to see him play in Madison as the MU job is a stepping stone and comes from a program that is squirmy.

Nah Dr B.  I think it's more that Chris is just being straight with his kid.  "Son, you deserve playing time but Marquette is gonna be stacked.  You need to go to a lesser program like Wisconsin."

;D
TAMU

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #8917 on: August 09, 2017, 04:20:42 PM »

I believe Johnson, either first or last name, is a made up name also. Pretty uncommon, aina
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #8918 on: August 09, 2017, 04:56:02 PM »
I see Wisconsin has Herro, Days, Johnson and NL in for their practice before going to Australia. What are the rules around recruits attending things like this? Does MU ever do this to try to get everyone together?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8919 on: August 09, 2017, 05:45:44 PM »

Same with the glut of Shaquille's coming through the college and now pro ranks. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #8920 on: August 09, 2017, 07:01:37 PM »

Jimmy Walker was an outstanding player back in the day.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8921 on: August 09, 2017, 07:38:16 PM »
Same with the glut of Shaquille's coming through the college and now pro ranks.

And Kobe's.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #8922 on: August 09, 2017, 07:59:05 PM »
And Kobe's.

I've seen an Anfernee or two.

And it's not hoops, but Raekwon McMillan got drafted by the Dolphins--only one possible explanation as to where that name came from.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8923 on: August 09, 2017, 08:03:48 PM »
I've seen an Anfernee or two.

And it's not hoops, but Raekwon McMillan got drafted by the Dolphins--only one possible explanation as to where that name came from.

Chef!!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8924 on: August 09, 2017, 08:18:16 PM »

feedback