[Today at 11:06:58 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by cheebs09
[Today at 10:52:12 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 10:42:19 AM]

NIL Future by Hards Alumni
[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Admirals Moving Next Door  (Read 8526 times)

Benny B

• All American
Admirals Moving Next Door
« on: July 31, 2015, 02:21:23 PM »
http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/blog/2015/07/admirals-hockey-teampreparing-for-move-to-uw.html

So does this help free up some Saturday evenings for MU, or does MU continue with late-morning to mid-afternoon tips regardless?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

uncle zeffy

• Scholarship Player
Re: Admirals Moving Next Door
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 02:35:58 PM »
http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/blog/2015/07/admirals-hockey-teampreparing-for-move-to-uw.html

So does this help free up some Saturday evenings for MU, or does MU continue with late-morning to mid-afternoon tips regardless?

If the student section was better we would have more prime-time games

Well considering last season we had 2 home games on Saturdays that conflicted with the Admirals (01/03/15 - Providence and 02/21/2015 - Nova) I do not think this is a HUGE benefit for us.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 02:44:27 PM »
Since its da Bucks' house, they gonna get them Saturday nites. Likely to toss us a bone when they be outta town, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 02:46:27 PM »
The Admirals likely relocation is precipitated by the fact that their longtime home the BMO Harris Bradley Center is likely to be demolished by late 2017 or 2018. The Milwaukee Bucks, who are leading the design for the new $500 million arena just north of the Bradley Center, are signaling they are not planning for a hockey tenant.

I have not been following this closely but isn't this good news for MU?  Getting rid of the hockey tenant for good means a basketball first arena that rids it off the things we hate about the Bradley center.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 02:49:37 PM »
Since its da Bucks' house, they gonna get them Saturday nites. Likely to toss us a bone when they be outta town, hey?

MU doesn't play at home every weekend, so you'd think there'd be plenty of opportunities to coordinate schedules to allow MU some primetime action.  The question is does MU/Fox/BE want it?

I have not been following this closely but isn't this good news for MU?  Getting rid of the hockey tenant for good means a basketball first arena that rids it off the things we hate about the Bradley center.

Maybe the Benny B Thunderdome won't need to be built if the Bucks build a basketball arena.  So that's very good news; especially now that I may have about $80M freeing up.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 03:32:22 PM »
MU doesn't play at home every weekend, so you'd think there'd be plenty of opportunities to coordinate schedules to allow MU some primetime action.  The question is does MU/Fox/BE want it?

+1

The Bucks and MU can co-exist just fine with all the Saturday night dates they want if the talk and coordinate.  It's a non-issue, especially with the admirals out if the way.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 03:43:44 PM »
+1

The Bucks and MU can co-exist just fine with all the Saturday night dates they want if the talk and coordinate.  It's a non-issue, especially with the admirals out if the way.

Except that the Bucks get absolutely 0 say in their scheduling, and Marquette only gets a say in about 13 games in their season as to what dates they're going to be playing on and where.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 05:37:02 PM »
Except that the Bucks get absolutely 0 say in their scheduling, and Marquette only gets a say in about 13 games in their season as to what dates they're going to be playing on and where.

Well...yes and no. The Big East still has to schedule around our home availability. If we have better slots available, there's definitely a chance the league will take advantage of that.

Uncle zeffy pointed out there isn't always a ton of overlap between us and the Admirals. But if you figure the Big East is usually about 9-10 weeks long, it could very well give us 2-4 more prime time weekend slots that may not have been available with the Admirals in the building. Is it a huge difference? Probably not. But even if only for a couple dates a year, it's likely to be a positive.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 05:39:14 PM »
We may get a few Friday night or Saturday night games but it won't be a huge deal,

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 05:48:54 PM »
Well...yes and no. The Big East still has to schedule around our home availability. If we have better slots available, there's definitely a chance the league will take advantage of that.

Uncle zeffy pointed out there isn't always a ton of overlap between us and the Admirals. But if you figure the Big East is usually about 9-10 weeks long, it could very well give us 2-4 more prime time weekend slots that may not have been available with the Admirals in the building. Is it a huge difference? Probably not. But even if only for a couple dates a year, it's likely to be a positive.

Agreed, but it's not up to Marquette, it's up to the Big East.  And I don't think the NBA gives a the slightest care as to whether or not Marquette might or might not get a prime time game if the Bucks aren't using the building.

It's not as simple as "The Bucks and MU can co-exist just fine with the all the Saturday night dates they want if they talk and coordinate" like Heisenberg suggests.  In fact, the Bucks and MU can talk and coordinate all they want, but it means absolutely nothing, as the Bucks don't decide their schedule, and Marquette doesn't decide their schedule after December 30th.  So talking and coordinating with the Bucks essentially does absolutely nothing for Marquette and the new arena's availability.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 06:04:50 PM »
Agreed, but it's not up to Marquette, it's up to the Big East.  And I don't think the NBA gives a the slightest care as to whether or not Marquette might or might not get a prime time game if the Bucks aren't using the building.

It's not as simple as "The Bucks and MU can co-exist just fine with the all the Saturday night dates they want if they talk and coordinate" like Heisenberg suggests.  In fact, the Bucks and MU can talk and coordinate all they want, but it means absolutely nothing, as the Bucks don't decide their schedule, and Marquette doesn't decide their schedule after December 30th.  So talking and coordinating with the Bucks essentially does absolutely nothing for Marquette and the new arena's availability.

Agreed. Non-con scheduling happens before the NBA schedule comes out, so we're pretty much at their mercy. Get as many home Saturdays as you can and cross your fingers.

The most likely way this benefits us is in Big East play since the full Big East schedule is released after the NBA schedule. I'm sure they will look for marquee time slots when they can. In the past two years, we've had 9 total home Saturday dates in Big East play. My guess is, especially if we're back to contending once the new arena opens, the league will try to coordinate those Saturday home games with better time slots and take advantage of when the Bucks are out of town.

That said, it will probably only matter 2-3 times per year. But considering there's almost always complaining that we "never play Saturday nights at home", a difference of 2-3 times, especially if the schedule only allows for a total of 6-8 Saturday home dates per year, that's worth the difference.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 12:32:18 AM »
nm
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 09:20:01 AM »
I'm trying to remember.  Does the BEast ever do a Friday night FS1 'feature' game?  Between the Bucks and the Admirals which both had priority over MU that was practically impossible for us.  (Not that I'd like it to become a regular option as getting there from Chicago during a Friday rush hour would be a real bitch.)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 09:28:59 AM »
Agreed. Non-con scheduling happens before the NBA schedule comes out, so we're pretty much at their mercy. Get as many home Saturdays as you can and cross your fingers.

The most likely way this benefits us is in Big East play since the full Big East schedule is released after the NBA schedule. I'm sure they will look for marquee time slots when they can. In the past two years, we've had 9 total home Saturday dates in Big East play. My guess is, especially if we're back to contending once the new arena opens, the league will try to coordinate those Saturday home games with better time slots and take advantage of when the Bucks are out of town.

That said, it will probably only matter 2-3 times per year. But considering there's almost always complaining that we "never play Saturday nights at home", a difference of 2-3 times, especially if the schedule only allows for a total of 6-8 Saturday home dates per year, that's worth the difference.

If we schedule noncon first, we have a contract with the Bradley Center. Are you saying the Bucks have the ability to break that contract without cost?

The Chicago Bulls schedule a West Coast trip in November because the United Center has the circus every year. So there is some coordination with scheduling at the NBA league office.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 10:55:54 AM »
If we schedule noncon first, we have a contract with the Bradley Center. Are you saying the Bucks have the ability to break that contract without cost?

The Chicago Bulls schedule a West Coast trip in November because the United Center has the circus every year. So there is some coordination with scheduling at the NBA league office.

I wonder when the Alabama A&M game got scheduled last year?  It seems to me that we knew knew there would be an Al game before we knew the opponent.  I never recall a game being bumped out of the BMO BC after it had been announced.  There must be some level of coordination with dark dates being given to MU in sufficient time to schedule non-con.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 12:24:32 PM »

No, but we schedule dates. Times aren't set until well after the NBA schedule comes out, so if the Bucks end up double-booked with us at the BC on a Saturday, we end up with the noon timeslot and they get the 7 pm.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 02:16:47 PM »
Whoever said the bucks have zero say in scheduling is flat out wrong. You think it was a coincidence the bucks started 16 straight years on the road with the home opener on a Saturday night? Kohl wanted to make sure the opener always sold out and the nba agreed to the request. There are also arrangement between and arenas with NHL teams. The NBA has the final call but there is a ton of flexibility over an 82 game schedule and the NBA is willing to meet requests if it makes sense for them as well.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 03:02:59 PM »
Whoever said the bucks have zero say in scheduling is flat out wrong. You think it was a coincidence the bucks started 16 straight years on the road with the home opener on a Saturday night? Kohl wanted to make sure the opener always sold out and the nba agreed to the request. There are also arrangement between and arenas with NHL teams. The NBA has the final call but there is a ton of flexibility over an 82 game schedule and the NBA is willing to meet requests if it makes sense for them as well.

So when teams play 4 road games in 6 nights they shouldn't complain because really all they need to do is politely request that no road trips are more than 2 games and each road game has 2 days off so they can settle in and rest up? Gotcha.

And so all Marquette has to do to get any time slot they want is have Wojo give Edens and Lasry a buzz and ask them to please politely ask the NBA to schedule the Bucks for the road or the afternoon so that Marquette can schedule their game against Grambling for Saturday at 7:00 PM? And maybe just politely send in the list of dates and times that are acceptable to the Big East and those will be honored too I suppose.

MU cannot simply coordinate with the Bucks in order to get prime time dates and times for their games. I don't see what is so hard to understand about this.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 07:42:22 PM »
This will work out great for the Admirals as they can go from 7 to 20 plus Saturday night dates.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 06:05:02 PM »
I'm trying to remember.  Does the BEast ever do a Friday night FS1 'feature' game?  Between the Bucks and the Admirals which both had priority over MU that was practically impossible for us.  (Not that I'd like it to become a regular option as getting there from Chicago during a Friday rush hour would be a real bitch.)

I'm pretty sure MU (and probably all of college basketball) has avoided playing Friday night games for years in order to avoid conflicts with high school hoops games, in order to give the preps the spotlight and full potential attendance. 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 08:53:33 AM »
This will work out great for the Admirals as they can go from 7 to 20 plus Saturday night dates.

Will they have first call over UWM for scheduling dates even after UWM has purchased the naming rights to the arena?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 09:14:56 AM »
Will they have first call over UWM for scheduling dates even after UWM has purchased the naming rights to the arena?
Even if the Admirals are #2, the dates will work out great for them.
The 2014-15 schedule the Admirals had 15 Friday dates/ 7 Saturday's/ 5 Sunday's and 11 during the weekday nights. Looks for the numbers to be moved to Saturday nights as the Ads season runs October thru April.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 01:55:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure MU (and probably all of college basketball) has avoided playing Friday night games for years in order to avoid conflicts with high school hoops games, in order to give the preps the spotlight and full potential attendance.

The Ivy League plays on Fridays & Saturdays when conference play starts.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 10:25:04 AM »
The Ivy League plays on Fridays & Saturdays when conference play starts.
That's probably to accommodate all the bus travel... ;)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 10:30:43 AM »
That's probably to accommodate all the bus travel... ;)

But in reality, it's probably so that these kids aren't missing school, especially since they don't get athletic scholarships.