[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bert to SMU  (Read 40413 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Bert to SMU
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2015, 07:29:18 PM »
He would tell you but to do so would contribute to the softening of America.
Chico's had 20k+ posts.   He has proven time and again that he will demagogue a topic into oblivion or moderator lock.   He has implied dozens of times that he has sources that told him that Buzz was dirty.     He has never once brought forth a single concrete example.     Do the math.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2015, 07:30:08 PM »
This should come as no surprise, but all coaches cheat, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2015, 08:50:05 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the closest Buzz was ever connected to rule breaking/cheating was the infamous Scott Monarch situation in 2012.  He was suspended the first Big East game of the season (UConn, I believe - which I think was the game Cadougan hit a game winning three) for the dreaded lack of institutional control, and Monarch was fired for lying to investigators. All over giving a recruit a t-shirt.

With that being said, there are some individuals who have blatantly cheated over the years - only to receive other coaching opportunities elsewhere.  Donnie Tyndall, Kelvin Sampson, Bruce Pearl, Todd Bozeman, Tim Floyd, and even Dave Bliss, received other head coaching opportunities despite rampant lack of institutional control and/or knowledgeable cheating.  Heck, wouldn't be surprised to see Mike Rice Jr. receive another shot at coaching somewhere in the next few years.

I think he actually gave Duane MU shorts (which Duane then wore at several HS all-star events, thereby providing MU with additional exposure), and at least one ride home.

Fortunately, MU avoided the extra benefit trap by not providing cream cheese for after practice bagels.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:55:12 PM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2015, 09:58:59 PM »
This should come as no surprise, but all coaches cheat, hey?

Yes, in fact those were the exact words Buzz used.  Some just get caught more readily....like a member of Buzz's staff.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2015, 10:01:02 PM »
He would tell you but to do so would contribute to the softening of America.
Chico's had 20k+ posts.   He has proven time and again that he will demagogue a topic into oblivion or moderator lock.   He has implied dozens of times that he has sources that told him that Buzz was dirty.     He has never once brought forth a single concrete example.     Do the math.

Is that right?  Slimy, squirmy, etc....doesn't always mean breaking the rules.   

That being said, you believe what you want....SMU tried to get Mother Theresa, but he stayed in Milwaukee and they went in a completely different direction to get Larry Brown.

I know the first four people I'd call to the stand under oath...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 10:04:58 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2015, 10:10:36 PM »

That being said, you believe what you want....SMU tried to get Mother Theresa, but he stayed in Milwaukee and they went in a completely different direction to get Larry Brown.

So let me get this straight, you're saying that because SMU went after (and hired) a known cheater then everyone else they went after has to be a cheater?

So then, you absolutely must think your boycrush Crean is a cheater, right?  You see, the hire they made right before they hired Crean was, well, a known cheater, who cheated again at IU.  So using your logic, Crean has to be a cheater.

Oh, my, what will Chicos do now that his celeb crush is known to cheat?!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2015, 10:21:32 PM »

Gary Harris, Hanner Mosquera-Perea, Mark Adams, and Peter Jurkin?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2015, 10:24:32 PM »
I hear he's at a football school now, in the middle of nowhere....a place where no one cares about basketball and he can do what he wants until people pay attention.  Good spot for him for now.  Smart.  Of course, things start to get a little better and his fellow ACC schools will start to pay some attention.  That's when the fun starts.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2015, 10:28:11 PM »
I hear he's at a football school now, in the middle of nowhere....a place where no one cares about basketball and he can do what he wants until people pay attention.  Good spot for him for now.  Smart.  Of course, things start to get a little better and his fellow ACC schools will start to pay some attention.  That's when the fun starts.

So you really don't have anything.  You're just predicting that in the future he will be a cheater.  Outstanding.

Crean's at a school that he is somehow turning into a football first school.  Only Thomas Crean would be able to turn IU into a football first school.  And that's the direction it's going.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2015, 11:12:10 PM »
Crean's at a school that he is somehow turning into a football first school.
laughed out loud for real here - well done
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2015, 11:34:26 PM »
I did hear there were some issues with the recruitment of Todd Mayo. This comes from someone I trust very much. Outside of that I didn't hear anything of the cheating variety but I know there was some shady stuff surrounding Todd.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2015, 08:23:49 AM »
I did hear there were some issues with the recruitment of Todd Mayo. This comes from someone I trust very much. Outside of that I didn't hear anything of the cheating variety but I know there was some shady stuff surrounding Todd.

ND Prep. That place was shady as hell. There always seems to be some finagling done to get kids from there admitted and through the clearinghouse.

The administration was pissed about Crowder getting in, but Mayo probably should have been the target of their angst.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2015, 08:45:47 AM »
ND Prep. That place was shady as hell. There always seems to be some finagling done to get kids from there admitted and through the clearinghouse.

The administration was pissed about Crowder getting in, but Mayo probably should have been the target of their angst.

People were furious in the Athletic Department about both Blue's antics (this was before the big stuff) and the fact that they were forced to admit Mayo to school (along with other JC players).

Buzz did not treat his coworkers in the AD like professionals, and steam-rolled them.

I believe that's a leadership problem moreso than a Buzz problem. Leadership allowed Buzz to act that way.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2015, 08:59:03 AM »
People were furious in the Athletic Department about both Blue's antics (this was before the big stuff) and the fact that they were forced to admit Mayo to school (along with other JC players).

Buzz did not treat his coworkers in the AD like professionals, and steam-rolled them.

I believe that's a leadership problem moreso than a Buzz problem. Leadership allowed Buzz to act that way.
Agreed. Ideally you have constructive conflict.... the coach's job is to do whatever it takes (within the rules) to win. The administration's job is to set, monitor and enforce the rules to keep in-line with the mission of the University.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2015, 09:17:05 AM »
So you really don't have anything.  You're just predicting that in the future he will be a cheater.  Outstanding.

Crean's at a school that he is somehow turning into a football first school.  Only Thomas Crean would be able to turn IU into a football first school.  And that's the direction it's going.

I understand your fight with Chicos. And I understand your hatred of Crean. But the bolded is a ludicrous statement.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2015, 10:28:40 AM »
I understand your fight with Chicos. And I understand your hatred of Crean. But the bolded is a ludicrous statement.

Said somewhat tongue in cheek, but 3 NCAA Tournament appearances in 7 years isn't exactly the direction that IU should be going in when it comes to their basketball program.  IU made the NCAA Tournament 30 of the previous 36 years prior to Tom Crean coming around.  Since Crean has taken over, IU has made 3 NCAA Tournaments in 7 years.

6 missed NCAA Tournaments in 36 years before Crean.
4 missed NCAA Tournaments in 7 years with Crean.

He was supposed to "turn the program around."  Well, he's succeeded...in taking it from blue blood to bottom half B1G program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2015, 11:54:57 AM »
Said somewhat tongue in cheek, but 3 NCAA Tournament appearances in 7 years isn't exactly the direction that IU should be going in when it comes to their basketball program.  IU made the NCAA Tournament 30 of the previous 36 years prior to Tom Crean coming around.  Since Crean has taken over, IU has made 3 NCAA Tournaments in 7 years.

He was supposed to "turn the program around."  Well, he's succeeded...in taking it from blue blood to bottom half B1G program.

I don't think many people fault him for IU missing the tournament his first two or three years there.  And then after that he won a conference championship.

Yes the last two years have been clearly disappointing for IU.  But to simply hang the first few on him is nonsensical. 

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2015, 12:28:41 PM »
Very few coaches would have been able to make Indiana competitive so soon after Kelvin Sampson.  The roster was absolutely gutted when Crean took over.  I think he had 9 freshmen players on his roster, and zero seniors.  In his opening press conference, he even said it would take time to rebuild and become consistently competitive again. 

This speaks not to the pitfalls to Tom Crean as a head coach, but rather the atrocities that Kelvin Sampson oversaw/participated in while at IU.  He completely brought down the Hoosier basketball program, via his illegal recruiting activities, turning a blind eye to the rampant drug use on the team and via his attempted coverup/lying to shield himself from it.

I agree, Crean and Indiana have underperformed the past two years, which he deserves some criticism for - but Crean cannot be blamed for the first 2/3 seasons of his tenure there.  That should be attributed to Sampson.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2015, 12:55:27 PM »

I don't think many people fault him for IU missing the tournament his first two or three years there.  And then after that he won a conference championship.

Yes the last two years have been clearly disappointing for IU.  But to simply hang the first few on him is nonsensical.

Well, Larry Brown turned around SMU and made them a Top 25 team in less than two years...

Death on call

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2015, 12:58:07 PM »
TC gets a pass for years 1 and 2 (1-17, last place, 4-14, 9th place) but not for year 3 (3-15, a return to last place). He's had a winning record in the BIG twice in 7 seasons.

Should be all good this year, though. Bunch of 5 star players including a point guard who's started over 100 games AND the BIG will be way down.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2015, 01:23:04 PM »
Very few coaches would have been able to make Indiana competitive so soon after Kelvin Sampson.  The roster was absolutely gutted when Crean took over.  I think he had 9 freshmen players on his roster, and zero seniors.  In his opening press conference, he even said it would take time to rebuild and become consistently competitive again. 

This speaks not to the pitfalls to Tom Crean as a head coach, but rather the atrocities that Kelvin Sampson oversaw/participated in while at IU.  He completely brought down the Hoosier basketball program, via his illegal recruiting activities, turning a blind eye to the rampant drug use on the team and via his attempted coverup/lying to shield himself from it.

I agree, Crean and Indiana have underperformed the past two years, which he deserves some criticism for - but Crean cannot be blamed for the first 2/3 seasons of his tenure there.  That should be attributed to Sampson.

Regardless of how many seasons you think it might take to rebuild a true blue blood program, 4 NCAA Tournament wins in 7 years at IU is completely underachieving.  Sweet 16 as the best year is completely underachieving in 7 years at IU, even if he had to rebuild for the first few years.

Also, the whole "turning the blind eye to rampant drug use" hasn't exactly been fixed since Crean took over at IU.  And as a result, Luke Fischer came home to play for Marquette.

Matt Doherty had UNC in the absolute dumps.  His last year at UNC was 2002-2003.  By 2005 they were National Champions.  That's how true blue bloods like "It's Indiana, It's Indiana," respond to a coaching mistake.  Not by going 121-111 (.522) in 7 seasons.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2015, 01:41:10 PM »
TC gets a pass for years 1 and 2 (1-17, last place, 4-14, 9th place) but not for year 3 (3-15, a return to last place). He's had a winning record in the BIG twice in 7 seasons.

Should be all good this year, though. Bunch of 5 star players including a point guard who's started over 100 games AND the BIG will be way down.

If they can stay sober, non-stoned, quit running over teammates, etc.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2015, 02:50:48 PM »
If they can stay sober, non-stoned, quit running over teammates, etc.

Good point. The "culture" he's created could be a problem.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2015, 07:19:43 PM »
If they can stay sober, non-stoned, quit running over teammates the starting power forward, etc.

FIFY
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2015, 02:02:29 AM »

Weird, 3 tournaments in 7 years also is 3 tournaments in 4 years.  I guess you were being selective and using "tongue in cheek".   First Big Ten title outright in decades.  Good team coming this year.  Perfect APR scores three straight years.  He's had his share of issues, no doubt.

Meanwhile, our only Final Four in the last 39 years was coached by........