[Today at 07:56:17 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Gomez to Mets #donedeal  (Read 3652 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Gomez to Mets #donedeal
« on: July 29, 2015, 10:18:07 PM »
A'ina?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

chapman

• All American
Re: Gomez to Mets #donedeal
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 10:26:36 PM »
Cheer up, Wilmer.  It was only a Milwaukee style #donedeal.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 11:09:25 PM »
Social media run amok.  No trade.  Never was

Can't believe everything you read on the internet.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/07/29/wilmer-flores-cries-on-field-mets-leave-him-in-game-following-carlos-gomez-trade-reports/
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 11:10:58 PM by Heisenberg »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 06:30:45 AM »
Social media run amok.  No trade.  Never was

Can't believe everything you read on the internet.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/07/29/wilmer-flores-cries-on-field-mets-leave-him-in-game-following-carlos-gomez-trade-reports/

Nope, there was a deal. The Met's backed out of it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 07:47:50 AM »
I'm just waiting for Melvin to chit the bed here. Why isn't Parra gone yet? Why isn't Lind, KRod, Gomez gone yet?

This is our opportunity for a much needed rebuild. Melvins gone at the end of the year, yeah?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 08:04:59 AM »
They don't need to be in a hurry to trade Gomez, KRod or Lind.  They are all under contract next year.  So while they may not be around when the club gets to being good again, they still can be traded this off season or next year. 

Parra, Lohse and Cotts need to be gone.  And they still could be after today.  They would need to pass through waivers first.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 10:50:10 AM »
Yes, Cotts and Parra will never get through waivers. Lohse would. So those two absolutely have to be moved. Unfortunately, as the hour gets late and more and more deals are made, the price is going down.

The aments got cold feet on the Gomez deal, which is fine. It happens. I'm just glad Melvin help his ground, because as you say, he will have value in the offseason in what will actually be a larger market.

The Crdinals may now have an OF need, so you have to assume Doug Melvin would be the forts call with both Parra and Gomez available. Parra would seem to be the much more likely candidate in that scenario.

Just hope it is a busy next 24 hours for Doug. If not, this season becomes even more of a disaster than it already is.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 02:40:18 PM »
They don't need to be in a hurry to trade Gomez, KRod or Lind.  They are all under contract next year.  So while they may not be around when the club gets to being good again, they still can be traded this off season or next year. 

Parra, Lohse and Cotts need to be gone.  And they still could be after today.  They would need to pass through waivers first.

Don't think you're going to get anything for Lohse, unfortunately.  Might as well keep him in the rotation hoping that he shows some club something worth taking him off our hands for through the waiver wire, but still very doubtful.

The other 2 there is absolutely no reason not to get something back for.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 05:36:17 PM »
IWB probably busted out the scoop first, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 06:09:13 PM »
You can tell that kid just endured a shaka to his system.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 07:00:20 PM »
just saw on espn-gomez reportedly on his way to astros?
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 07:04:38 PM »
just saw on espn-gomez reportedly on his way to astros?

Along with Fiers.

Unless Houston has a problem...with the physicals.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 07:13:47 PM »
Thank you, Mets.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 07:19:56 PM »
Along with Fiers.

Unless Houston has a problem...with the physicals.

gomez said he feels sexy-probably not what the astros were thinking when they said he must pass physical
don't...don't don't don't don't

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 09:13:48 PM »
Thank you, Mets.

No kidding.

Now get Parra the hell out of here.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 09:34:52 PM »
Last night turned out to be a blessing in disguise, hey?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 09:39:58 PM »
Much, much better.  I'm a bigger Fiers fan than most, but he's not 25 or a top of the rotation pitcher, and since we're not playing for 2016 that makes him very expendable.  The only downside is that Logan Schafer is back.  I would rather Counsell just put himself in the lineup than see Schafer again.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:42:02 PM by chapman »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 10:38:37 PM »
No kidding.

Now get Parra the hell out of here.

Yup.  I loved Parra from the day we got him.  He's exactly the type of player the Brewers need a lot more of (professional, does all the little things right), but his value will never be higher (I suppose if he had 3 years left on his contract it would be, but he doesn't and when he does he won't be this red hot), he will get overpaid this offseason, and the Brewers can't afford to be the ones to overpay him.  So get something for him.

(Really happy we got 2 outfield prospects, as Gomez is gone, Parra will be gone, and Davis just doesn't do a whole lot beyond hit 25 homers a season, which is nice but man he is bad defensively)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 07:47:00 AM »
Yup.  I loved Parra from the day we got him.  He's exactly the type of player the Brewers need a lot more of (professional, does all the little things right), but his value will never be higher (I suppose if he had 3 years left on his contract it would be, but he doesn't and when he does he won't be this red hot), he will get overpaid this offseason, and the Brewers can't afford to be the ones to overpay him.  So get something for him.

(Really happy we got 2 outfield prospects, as Gomez is gone, Parra will be gone, and Davis just doesn't do a whole lot beyond hit 25 homers a season, which is nice but man he is bad defensively)

Being careful to temper expectations on what return they get for a half season of Parra, but Orioles number 3 prospect name keeps coming up. Would make for an outstanding couple of days for Doug Melvin...3 of top 5 prospects would have come over in these trades, all of which have ETAs of 2016-2017. Hard to complain, based on what the Brewers had to offer.

While I gotta believe Doug Melvin has intentionally lost Sandy Alderson's number after the other night,  Parra to the Mets seems like a no brainer. Won't happen, but would like to see several teams involved to keep the price up.

Hopefully they don't stop with Parra and can make one or to minor moves as well, to add additional system depth.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:17:35 AM by NavinRJohnson »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 08:23:12 AM »
Personally, I was getting tired of Gomez's swing out of his shoes plate appearances.   This Brett Phillips kid sounds like a future stud.    Fiers was a bonus, getting production from him in the first place.   Only thing that would have been better is getting Lohse out to clear some money, if only a gm was that dumb. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 08:31:54 AM »
Lohse will clear waivers, so would not be at all surprised to see him and a few bucks moved for a low level prospect next month. Garza, KRod, Broxton fit that scenario as well. So at least another guy or two will be moved next month.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:43:46 AM by NavinRJohnson »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 08:54:40 AM »
I'm not too familiar with it.   But what in your opinion determines if a guy clears waivers, contract size?    I would think someone would pick up one of those guys on waivers.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 09:31:38 AM »
I'm not too familiar with it.   But what in your opinion determines if a guy clears waivers, contract size?    I would think someone would pick up one of those guys on waivers.

If a team selects a player off waivers and the waiving team allows it to go through, the new team picks up the remaining entirety of that player's contract.

No team is going to pick up Matt Garza with his $25M remaining or pay Broxton the remaining amount on his $9M deal this season. If anything, the players would clear waivers and the Brewers could trade them while paying off a fairly significant chunk of the contract.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 09:34:56 AM »

Yes, what they have left on contract (obviously vs how good they are). Lohse as an example owed a good bit of money, but not pitching well. If you pick him up, you pick up the contract with him. Nobody gonna wanna pay him $4M or whatever he's owed for rest of year. Once he clears tho, they might be able to trade him and $2M to someone in need of a starter.

KRod as well...signed for the next two years I think at a good bit of cash. Nobody going to want to pick that up so he won't be claimed.

Adam Lind on the other hand will be exposed, but will absolutely be claimed, so tne Brewers will pull him back and/or work out a trade with that team (though I forget exactly how that part works).

Basically every player is put in revocable waivers staring tomorrow, most go unclaimed, so nobody ever really hears about it.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 09:35:07 AM »
Parra for Davies sounds close to a #donedeal

feedback