'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 12:53:11 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Sports Illustrated looks at college basketball transfers  (Read 18097 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Sports Illustrated looks at college basketball transfers
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2015, 08:08:47 PM »
Chicos,

Reading the articles you posted, it appears I was mistaken. I truly apologize. I had a different understanding of the Power 5s use of 4 year scholarships. I will continue to look into it further.

I absolutely agree that if a player attempts to transfer before the end of a multiyear scholarship, than that player should be penalized (i.e. sitting out for a year). However, there are still hundreds of players who are on 1 year renewable scholarships. I still hold that the ethical thing to do for these players is letting them transfer at the end of the season without penalty. I also understand why the NCAA doesn't do this and how it could radically change things. Personally, I feel the game would evolve to accommodate for increased transfers (or maybe more institutions would start offering multi-year scholarships)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2015, 08:17:30 PM »
No problem TAMU.  Actually you were right for SEC.

I confirmed through an AD at a SEC school that SEC has discretion, Big 12,Big 10, Pac 12 it is a requirement.  He wasn't sure about ACC but was checking.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2015, 10:19:00 PM »
That's a good thing! Please provide more facts -- and about schools that aren't in the Big 5 -- as you get them.

Sure, but I'd ask that you do the same about coaches and their movement from those non Big 5 conferences as well.   Let's not pretend all those coaches are like Fortune 500 CEOs, when there are 248K other CEOs.  Many of those coaches are from mid to low level schools, and have to pay the buyouts on their own, don't exactly leave with the same verocity that people like to focus on when analyzing the top of the food chain.  I'd also point out with lower and mid level schools players leaving after those schools developed those kids...very tough for those programs.  The kids should have to sit out.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2015, 10:27:31 PM »
Sure, but I'd ask that you do the same about coaches and their movement from those non Big 5 conferences as well.   Let's not pretend all those coaches are like Fortune 500 CEOs, when there are 248K other CEOs.  Many of those coaches are from mid to low level schools, and have to pay the buyouts on their own, don't exactly leave with the same verocity that people like to focus on when analyzing the top of the food chain.  I'd also point out with lower and mid level schools players leaving after those schools developed those kids...very tough for those programs.  The kids should have to sit out.

I highly doubt that any low major coaches have any insane buyout clauses.  The only coaches who have that are the coaches who will have their buyout clauses bought out by the school that is hiring them.  It's silly to think that buyout clauses are some unjust think weighing coaches down and stopping them from moving into better situations.  If it's really that big of a deal, then the coach should make sure his agent negotiates a contract that doesn't have a buyout clause, or negotiates with the hiring school that they are the ones to buy out his contract for him.

You're completely overdramatizing this.  Comparing coaches who get paid millions of dollars and have their new employer pay their buyout clauses for them to student athletes who don't make a single penny having to pay back $30K/year to the school they are transferring out of is ludicrous even by your standards.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2015, 10:41:46 PM »
I highly doubt that any low major coaches have any insane buyout clauses.  The only coaches who have that are the coaches who will have their buyout clauses bought out by the school that is hiring them.  It's silly to think that buyout clauses are some unjust think weighing coaches down and stopping them from moving into better situations.  If it's really that big of a deal, then the coach should make sure his agent negotiates a contract that doesn't have a buyout clause, or negotiates with the hiring school that they are the ones to buy out his contract for him.

You're completely overdramatizing this.  Comparing coaches who get paid millions of dollars and have their new employer pay their buyout clauses for them to student athletes who don't make a single penny having to pay back $30K/year to the school they are transferring out of is ludicrous even by your standards.

First off, you are welcome on the information about 4 year scholarships....no need to apologize or thank me.   :P

Second, you are correct that they don't have "insane" buyouts, nor did I claim that.  HOWEVER, what typically happens at the higher end is the buying school or booster, etc, can help pay off the buyout...subsidize it as it were.  As you stated.   That doesn't happen at the lower level as much, plus those guys aren't making as much so the buyouts aren't going to be as high...it's often relative and propotional, but it matters in the context of proportinality.

My point is that too many of you focus on the 1% or the 5% and not on what's happening across DI or even across all sports.  It's often the corner case scenario of some stud football or basketball player, but for some reason we ignore the literally 1000's of others or wish to cram that corner case scenario and extrapolate it on everyone else.  It's the same mistake when focusing on CEO pay here..the focus is on the extreme scale, not what is happening to the 90%+.  Why the focus on the outliers?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2015, 05:54:53 AM »
In this sport, it's more than 5%. The upper level at the minimum includes all the P5 schools and the Big East. So that's what, 78/351 schools? Then figure you can add in the Mountain West, AAC,  and probably 15-20 other schools (Gonzaga, Wichita State, etc) that try to operate like the big boys.

The schools that will pay buyouts probably amounts to around 30-35%. Still not a majority, but also not a 5% outlier. In football, it's an even higher percentage.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2015, 09:18:39 AM »
In this sport, it's more than 5%. The upper level at the minimum includes all the P5 schools and the Big East. So that's what, 78/351 schools? Then figure you can add in the Mountain West, AAC,  and probably 15-20 other schools (Gonzaga, Wichita State, etc) that try to operate like the big boys.

The schools that will pay buyouts probably amounts to around 30-35%. Still not a majority, but also not a 5% outlier. In football, it's an even higher percentage.

My 5% reference had to do with the typical goofiness talked about here and elsewhere as it relates to student athletes.  Paying them, etc.  Less than 1% make it to the NBA.  Less than 2% of football players make it to the NFL, but the changes people want often focus on that tiny sliver, or the upper crust pf prgrams and not the vast majority.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2015, 02:16:06 PM »
I hadn't seen this posted anywhere else:

Chris Obekpa from St. John's has transferred to UNLV.  The Rebels are loaded with talent for next season and I think if they don't make the NCAA Tourney coach Dave Rice will be shown the door. Obekpa will have to sit out the upcoming season as a transfer.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv-rebels/basketball/former-st-johns-center-transferring-unlv
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2015, 04:04:39 PM »

We'll have to disagree like gentlemen on that part.

Crazy thing is, nobody is asking either of us to help formulate policy. The nerve!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2015, 11:59:19 PM »
We'll have to disagree like gentlemen on that part.

Crazy thing is, nobody is asking either of us to help formulate policy. The nerve!

Not currently at least.  Fortunately the AD's I know are in 100% agreement with my position (or I'm in 100% agreement with theirs, however you wish to state it) so I'm not too worried about it changing any time soon.  The chaos it would create would literally destroy some team's seasons which could in turn put a program back a number of years.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2015, 06:15:43 AM »
I hadn't seen this posted anywhere else:

Chris Obekpa from St. John's has transferred to UNLV.  The Rebels are loaded with talent for next season and I think if they don't make the NCAA Tourney coach Dave Rice will be shown the door. Obekpa will have to sit out the upcoming season as a transfer.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv-rebels/basketball/former-st-johns-center-transferring-unlv

Not the smartest move for Obekpa from a playing time standpoint.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.