[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Favorite Buzz moments (not just when he left)  (Read 8395 times)

tower912

• All American
Favorite Buzz moments (not just when he left)
« on: July 29, 2015, 06:58:41 AM »
1.   Davidson comeback.
2.  Outcoaching Brad at the end against Butler
3.   Dancing on WVU's logo.
4.  Walking it out after DJO's dunk.
5.  Swabbing the deck of the aircraft carrier. 
6.  Getting the T for falling on his ass. 
7.  Pretty much the entire 09-10 season.    Getting that performance out of that team?

Time for some positivity. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
Re: Favorite Buzz moments (not just when he left)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 08:33:03 AM »
Great list.  Fun times.

I'll add one private one.  Immediately after the Davidson game when Buzz returned to the hotel he gave a smile and wink to Corey as he rode the escalator up to the ballroom.  She had spent the previous night in the hospital returning to the hotel that morning but was not strong enough to attend the game. She managed to briefly come out of their room and to the rail of the open atrium as the team returned.  It had been a scary night for the family and that was good to see.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 08:49:19 AM »
Tower hits on the top ones, but I'll add the Cinci game in 2013 where we got down big, came back and lost in OT.

The fight we showed in that game let me know we would be special.  We turned out to be Elite.

It was an era where we played our tails off nearly every single minute all the while winning in the SEC of basketball.  Fun times.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:40:58 AM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 09:40:21 AM »
anytime he said "I don't mean this in a negative or disparaging way"

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
The 11-12 team with Jae and DJO as seniors was awesome to watch.

I'll add the Syracuse game in 12-13, MU went through two horrid droughts against the zone. Jake's 4 point play snapped them out of one, and then Davante took over in the second half.

The UW game that year was fun as well. Junior played like a man, and I almost fell over a row when Davante scored on the break to put MU up 13.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 09:50:24 AM »
1.   Davidson comeback.
7.  Pretty much the entire 09-10 season.    Getting that performance out of that team?

Interesting that the majority of memorable moments for a coach have nothing to do with coaching.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 10:12:26 AM »
1.   Davidson comeback.

My number 1 favorite is the walk it out.  Number 2 is the Syracuse game at home with Jake's 4 point play and finding out Ox had a mid-range game.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 10:25:33 AM »
I will say the coolest thing about this tenure was his players.  They weren't big prospects coming out of high school. 
You could probably count on one hand the number of games under Buzz Williams where Marquette was out-worked and out-hustled.  I'll always admire the toughness and tenacity his teams brought to every game.  They never, ever quit.

His players weren't well-known names when they came here.  However, when they left, they left a strong and impactful legacy.  Part of this is obviously on the players - they came in with a chip on their shoulders and worked incredibly hard everyday to compete and be their absolute best.  However, the other other part is that Buzz was willing to give these kids a shot - and he absolutely put them through the gauntlet while here.  Buzz was a grinder at heart as well, and he always looked at finding players that held that same quality.

Jimmy Butler, Darius Johnson-Odom, Jae Crowder, Dwight Buycks, Davante Gardner, Chris Otule, Junior Cadougan were all players he gave opportunities to, and they each seized those opportunities and ran with them.  I'll also add that he elevated the drive and performance of players who were already established in Wes Matthews, Jerel McNeal, Dominic James, Lazar Hayward, Jamil Wilson and Trent Lockett.  Each of them had opportunities at the NBA level, and I think Buzz had a lot to do with it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 10:33:54 AM »
Interesting that the majority of memorable moments for a coach have nothing to do with coaching.

Outcoaching Brad at the end of the Butler game, the entire 09-10 season, and the Davidson game say that you are wrong. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 10:37:26 AM »
The 4 NCAA Tournament games I had the pleasure of being at.  All 4 were very good games in some way.

Davidson (the chaos of the comeback) and Butler (an all around really well played game by both teams) in Lexington and Xavier (a game Marquette controlled from start to finish, with Jimmy shutting down Tu and making him cry, but hey, he's tough and you don't mess with his guys - "zip 'em up") and Syracuse (falling behind by double digits early, chipping away, and a couple of huge huge 3 pointers).

In fact, I think in my lifetime my NCAA Tournament game record is pretty solid.  4-0 those 2 seasons, 2-1 in 2003, and I believe 0-1 in 1994...but I don't really remember that one, as I was 5 years old.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 04:21:42 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 10:38:13 AM »
I will say the coolest thing about this tenure was his players.  They weren't big prospects coming out of high school. 
You could probably count on one hand the number of games under Buzz Williams where Marquette was out-worked and out-hustled.  I'll always admire the toughness and tenacity his teams brought to every game.  They never, ever quit.

His players weren't well-known names when they came here.  However, when they left, they left a strong and impactful legacy.  Part of this is obviously on the players - they came in with a chip on their shoulders and worked incredibly hard everyday to compete and be their absolute best.  However, the other other part is that Buzz was willing to give these kids a shot - and he absolutely put them through the gauntlet while here.  Buzz was a grinder at heart as well, and he always looked at finding players that held that same quality.

Jimmy Butler, Darius Johnson-Odom, Jae Crowder, Dwight Buycks, Davante Gardner, Chris Otule, Junior Cadougan were all players he gave opportunities to, and they each seized those opportunities and ran with them.  I'll also add that he elevated the drive and performance of players who were already established in Wes Matthews, Jerel McNeal, Dominic James, Lazar Hayward, Jamil Wilson and Trent Lockett.  Each of them had opportunities at the NBA level, and I think Buzz had a lot to do with it.

Junior was a top 50 prospect not a charity case, replace him with fulce. But other than that I agree.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 10:43:07 AM »
I thought it was hilarious when he knocked over the cup that was on the scorers table (iirc) and it was full of candy. It spilled all over the floor and took a while to clean up.

Also, life lessons
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FxrfIQ8Vnro" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FxrfIQ8Vnro</a>

Karaoke at Marquette Madness - skip ahead to 4:05
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/N1fWswIu0T0&amp;t=250" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/N1fWswIu0T0&amp;t=250</a>
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 10:51:58 AM by Skatastrophy »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 10:54:34 AM »

In fact, I think in my lifetime my NCAA Tournament game record is pretty solid.  4-0 those 2 seasons, 2-1 in 2003, and I believe 0-1 in 1994...but I don't really remember that one, as I was 5 years old).

Wait a minute.  You were at the Sweet 16 game in Knoxville against Grant Hill's Duke squad?  I was there as well much to the chagrin of warriorchick as I left her at home with a 2 year old and an infant.  One of my favorite post game parties ever.  Jimmy Mac's dad sure could party.  I hope I don't get anyone in trouble but we were the guys charged with unloading a whole pile of KO's tickets and got lots of perks out of the deal.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 10:59:12 AM »
Wait a minute.  You were at the Sweet 16 game in Knoxville against Grant Hill's Duke squad?  I was there as well much to the chagrin of warriorchick as I left her at home with a 2 year old and an infant.  One of my favorite post game parties ever.  Jimmy Mac's dad sure could party.  I hope I don't get anyone in trouble but we were the guys charged with unloading a whole pile of KO's tickets and got lots of perks out of the deal.

Yup, I was there.  I really don't remember much of it though.  I just remember that my dad, older brother, and mom's dad road tripped to Tennessee for an NCAA Tournament game and then we also saw Big Dog play.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 11:15:13 AM »
.. and Xavier (a game Marquette controlled from start to finish, with Jimmy shutting down Tu and making him cry, but hey, he's tough and you don't mess with his guys - "zip 'em up")

Ooooh, I forgot about that coaching masterpiece.   Thanks. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 11:49:18 AM »
I met Buzz a few times and he was always very congenial, very open to conversation. But one moment I will always remember was before the 2013-14 season. I wrote Buzz an email discussing a bit of my own personal history and what the team meant to me. It was a lengthy email, but he emailed me back after the team opened the season with a win telling me that he read my email to the team after the game.

It's a small detail, but for all his faults, Buzz did a great job of being personable and taking an interest in the fanbase. He's not a perfect person by any means, but he did care. Mine is a pretty insignificant example, but I know there are plenty of people here who did have their lives touched in a positive way by Buzz, and I'll always be glad for that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 01:25:59 PM »
Similar to brew city’s favorite moment, mine is also when he responded to an email I wrote him. I sent him a lengthy email in 2012 discussing my history as a fan, but more importantly how my grandpa played at Marquette (1950-52) and was ill at the time. I essentially asked him if he could take time to write my grandpa a short letter or encouragement as he battled his illness and ultimately his last few weeks on this earth. Buzz promptly responded “what is his address” and proceeded to send him a cool autographed picture writing “Papa- hang in there, hang in there. Keep fighting, keep fighting. -Buzz”.

That was very special to me and my family. We still have the picture with us today. That meant a lot to me and I will be forever grateful for Buzz.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 01:54:02 PM »
Similar to brew city’s favorite moment, mine is also when he responded to an email I wrote him. I sent him a lengthy email in 2012 discussing my history as a fan, but more importantly how my grandpa played at Marquette (1950-52) and was ill at the time. I essentially asked him if he could take time to write my grandpa a short letter or encouragement as he battled his illness and ultimately his last few weeks on this earth. Buzz promptly responded “what is his address” and proceeded to send him a cool autographed picture writing “Papa- hang in there, hang in there. Keep fighting, keep fighting. -Buzz”.

That was very special to me and my family. We still have the picture with us today. That meant a lot to me and I will be forever grateful for Buzz.
thats a great story. I agree that returned emails were really special from him.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 02:38:54 PM »
I agree that returned emails were really special from him.

I sent Buzz an email in April 2014 and it was returned to me as undeliverable...

Death on call

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 03:00:47 PM »
I sent Buzz an email in April 2014 and it was returned to me as undeliverable...
Some bad timing there.... ;)

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 03:56:44 PM »

You left a Tennessee girl home for that game? In Knoxville? Shame on you! Since she was the local (sort of) and you were the Alien, Chick should have gone and you should have stayed with the kids.  :-)

Best Buzz moment was the WVU dance. Very Al-like!

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 04:11:54 PM »
Outcoaching Brad at the end of the Butler game, the entire 09-10 season, and the Davidson game say that you are wrong.

And the other four you listed don't have to do with coaching. Four out of seven is a majority.

It's all good guy. Just thought it was interesting. Take a dip in the sun with your positivity and relax, like Frankie says.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 04:22:10 PM »

An intern probably flushed it
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 04:42:59 PM »
chicklet spill, his loud suits, and his jabs at Crean during his hiring press conference.

And of course the winning.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 04:50:34 PM »

Classic
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/t8ILUBm-65I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/t8ILUBm-65I</a>
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 04:52:39 PM by Stone Cold »