[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette Offers 2016 Jayce Johnson  (Read 6777 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Marquette Offers 2016 Jayce Johnson
« on: July 28, 2015, 02:45:14 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Dj8Dqy3ns

6"11 235 Center from California, going to Findlay for Prep School. Ranked in the top 75 by most services. Seems like a more offensively gifted and defensively challenged Luke Fischer. Mostly west coast schools going after him.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:47:09 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Marquette Offers 2016 Jayce Johnson
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 03:15:28 PM »
Love recruitin' these Jewish kids, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 03:18:28 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/t5Dj8Dqy3ns" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/t5Dj8Dqy3ns</a>

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 06:58:12 PM »
Looks like he left Findlay Prep and is back in SoCal @ Santa Monica - his fourth school in three years!

http://smdp.com/boys-basketball-santa-monica-the-perfect-spot-7-foot-transfer/145373

Boys basketball: Santa Monica ‘the perfect spot’ for 7-foot transfer
By Jeffrey I. Goodman on February 6, 2015 in High School

In a perfect world, Jayce Johnson would have started and ended high school in one place.

He never would have transferred, never would have had to learn new system after new system, meet new teammate after new teammate, impress new coach after new coach.

“I wanted to stay somewhere for four years,” he says, “but it’s already too late for that.”

Too late indeed.

Johnson has been on the move constantly over the last three years, recently landing at Santa Monica High — the fourth boys basketball program in three seasons for the lanky 7-foot junior. But the journeyman with the impossible wingspan and the size-18 shoes says he believes he’s found the right place.

Finally.

“This is it,” he says. “I’ll be here for the rest of my high school career.”

Johnson brings an interior presence to an already talented Samohi squad that features Auburn-bound senior Nuwr’iyl Williams, junior Jonah Mathews and freshman point guard Spencer Freedman.

His defending, rebounding and shot-blocking abilities were immediately obvious for the Vikings, whose season continues Friday night with a league game at home against Culver City. And his offensive talent is revealing itself gradually as they work the center into their schemes.

“He’s still getting acclimated to what we do, and we’re still getting used to how to utilize him,” coach James Hecht says. “His conditioning is getting better, and each day he’s getting a little bit better. He’s been very well-received by the other guys on the team. We can really do some things with him being as big as he is and as skilled as he is around the basket.”

The coach’s assessment underscores why Johnson is optimistic about being at Samohi.

Johnson declines to provide details of his tumultuous trail, chalking it up to a blur of blunders, “a lot of bad stories, a lot of politics.” But for one reason or another, he didn’t get the playing time he thought he might and didn’t get the opportunities to prove his skills.

He also blames himself.

“They’re my decisions,” he says, “and I’m going to learn from them.”

Johnson started his prep career at Santa Ana-Mater Dei, where Gary McKnight — California’s winningest coach in high school basketball history — has led the Monarchs to four consecutive state championships. Johnson was part of a title-winning squad that went 34-2 in 2012-13, but he averaged just 2.8 points and 3.1 rebounds per game.

He transferred to Gardena-Junipero Serra for his sophomore season, averaging 9.5 points and 9.0 rebounds per game and tallying five double-doubles in 17 games. The gem of his year was a 20-point, 16-rebound performance in the Padres’ win over Sherman Oaks-Buckley.

“I’ve learned so many different things,” he says. “Each place gave me a different look on life, a different look on basketball, a different look on what I need to do to get to where I want to be. … But I wasn’t getting better where I was.”

Johnson left for Findlay Prep in Henderson, Nevada, a well-known magnet for basketball prospects that has produced a handful of NBA players, including Avery Bradley, Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph and Anthony Bennett.

He didn’t last long there. He took the floor just eight times, averaging 3.1 points and 6.1 rebounds in 12.8 minutes per game. After logging double-digit minutes in his first five games with the Pilots, he recorded just 13 in his final three games combined.

Attempts to reach his former coaches were not successful.

For the roaming big man, Santa Monica was an enticing destination. It was back in Southern California, where he was born and raised, where he fell in love with basketball as a middle-school student at Oxford Preparatory Academy in Mission Viejo. It was a program that has produced college-level athletes and enjoyed team success in postseason play.

And it fit his on-court criteria.

“I was looking around for schools that didn’t have a big and needed a big,” Johnson says. “I wanted to find somewhere I could go, earn my spot and start playing and get better. I saw Santa Monica as an opportunity. They needed a big. It was the perfect spot.”

Johnson settled in at Samohi and made his debut for the Vikings in a home game Jan. 14, scoring 15 points and grabbing 11 rebounds in a 63-46 win over Hawthorne.

He was half of a marquee matchup Jan. 23, when Samohi hosted 6-foot-11 Chance Comanche and Beverly Hills in Ocean League action. Johnson held his own and then some.

Midway through the second quarter, the Arizona-bound Comanche gathered the ball in the key, spun towards the middle and put up a close-range shot. It didn’t go anywhere, Johnson in place to reject it. Later in the period, Comanche tried going baseline to no avail, Johnson sliding his feet and forcing a turnover.

Johnson showed poise at the offensive end as well. After being hammered by multiple defenders on a shot attempt early in the third quarter, he walked calmly to the foul line and swished two free throws. He finished with 10 points.

“He got in some foul trouble and fouled out, but he battled,” Hecht says. “There is an adjustment process, a natural process, and we’re still learning a lot about each other. But he picks up the intensity level for our team, and he’s a tremendous kid with tremendous work ethic. In the end, it’s great to have him.”

Johnson appears to be finding his groove. He managed 14 points and 13 rebounds Jan. 24 against Las Vegas. He had 17 points, 15 boards and four blocks Jan. 30 at Hawthorne. And he put up 14 points, 16 rebounds and four blocks against Las Vegas-Durango a day later.

Johnson says he’s looking forward to the Feb. 10 rematch against Comanche — the two have trained and played summer ball together.

More importantly, though, he’s hopeful that his turbulent trek through high school basketball won’t keep him from pursuing the sport at the next level. Indeed, although his road has ended for now, his journey continues.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 07:01:45 PM »

brandx

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 07:02:56 PM »
Don't want him.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 07:27:12 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Dj8Dqy3ns

6"11 235 Center from California, going to Findlay for Prep School. Ranked in the top 75 by most services. Seems like a more offensively gifted and defensively challenged Luke Fischer. Mostly west coast schools going after him.

Huh?  Luke is an extremely offensively gifted player.  Just because he played the first 1/2 of his first college season for a coach who had absolutely no idea how to utilize a gifted big man doesn't mean Luke's offensive game is subpar.  He averaged 11 points on 61% shooting from the field in 29 minutes per game in his first real division 1 action last season.  Luke also averaged 21 points per game for a Germantown team that had what ultimately became (at least) 4 division 1 scholarship basketball players, and had range beyond the 3 point line in high school.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 07:38:06 PM »
Huh?  Luke is an extremely offensively gifted player.  Just because he played the first 1/2 of his first college season for a coach who had absolutely no idea how to utilize a gifted big man doesn't mean Luke's offensive game is subpar.  He averaged 11 points on 61% shooting from the field in 29 minutes per game in his first real division 1 action last season.  Luke also averaged 21 points per game for a Germantown team that had what ultimately became (at least) 4 division 1 scholarship basketball players, and had range beyond the 3 point line in high school.

I never said Luke's offensive game was subpar. I just said that I see Jayce's offensive game as better than Luke's was at that point in his career.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 09:27:47 PM »
Kansas just offered him too.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 09:59:32 PM »
I never said Luke's offensive game was subpar. I just said that I see Jayce's offensive game as better than Luke's was at that point in his career.

Fair enough. Having seen Luke play multiple times in his time at Germantown I guess I just think Luke was and is an incredibly refined offensive player who was much more of a fluid basketball player than what I see in this guy's highlight tape. Luke's touch around the rim and ability to finish tough, well defended shots are as good as you'll see from a big man in college basketball. His ability to post and seal his defender was also underrated because we didn't have the players who understood how to get him the ball in a timely fashion on the post.

In my opinion, his weakness is the defensive side of the court. He does a good job of blocking/altering shots but he picks up unnecessary fouls far too often and by far his biggest weakness is on the boards.

I think Luke will be one of the most efficient offensive players in college basketball over the next 2 seasons.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 10:43:57 PM »
There are red flags, but I am willing to give Wojo the benefit of the doubt on this one.    Plus, the kid doesn't have to be a star right away.   If ever there was a red-shirt candidate, he is it.   A year of stability and learning from Luke, Matt (hopefully HEllenson) could only help him. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brandx

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 10:58:28 PM »
There are red flags, but I am willing to give Wojo the benefit of the doubt on this one.    Plus, the kid doesn't have to be a star right away.   If ever there was a red-shirt candidate, he is it.   A year of stability and learning from Luke, Matt (hopefully HEllenson) could only help him.

Considering his history, do you think he would ever play for MU if he red-shirted a year?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 12:57:35 AM »
I am an optimist.   Perhaps a year of stability without pressure would help the young man pull it together. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 07:50:21 AM »
Transferred three times after putting up fairly pedestrian numbers at two of three stops. If he's getting the interest and offers he's getting, I'm sure there's some talent there, but this just has recipe for disaster written all over it. I'll support him if he commits here, but he certainly doesn't seem like the type of kid Wojo has been trying to recruit in his first few classes. Would rather we look elsewhere.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 03:10:35 PM »
Yeah I just don't see how this guy would be a major priority for wojo. We'd have 2 centers already his freshman year.

And wojo is a coach who benched JJJ for a whole game because he didn't like his practice play.

You think a guy whose jumped ship multiple times due to lack of Pt is gonna like that?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....