[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[Today at 10:46:31 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cecil the Lion  (Read 15625 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Cecil the Lion
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2015, 06:05:34 PM »
Some entrepreneur in MN will likely start sellin' tee shirts that say, "I Survived Bein' Dr. Palmer's Patient," ai na?

Doc,

I understand you hunted fur bearing creatures back when there still were fur bearing creatures...

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2015, 06:33:59 PM »
Damn straight I did and very successfully, I might add. Havin' said that, would love to turn back the hands of time and chase the 2 legged deer now roamin' the Ave., hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2015, 07:45:28 PM »
Damn straight I did and very successfully, I might add. Havin' said that, would love to turn back the hands of time and chase the 2 legged deer now roamin' the Ave., hey?

Nothing like sinking your teeth into fresh kill. Back in our day a hunter needed to pack in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers. Today's sportsman has little need for such accoutrement.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2015, 07:47:37 PM »
That's what I'm hearin',  too, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2015, 07:53:04 PM »
That's what I'm hearin',  too, hey?

You should know, Doc. I'll bet the number of hunters coming into your shop to get fur out of their gums has decreased markedly since the '70's.

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2015, 08:09:03 PM »
Someone kills someone in Chicago, it gets a small blurb on the news. Someone kills a lion in Africa and everyone losses their crap. LOGIC

Earlier this week two young men in Minneapolis were shot in cold blood. They were very recent first generation African immigrants.  Barely made the news here. No one knows their name.

Mark Dayton could comment on Cecil, but not this.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2015, 08:24:10 PM »
Earlier this week two young men in Minneapolis were shot in cold blood. They were very recent first generation African immigrants.  Barely made the news here. No one knows their name.

Mark Dayton could comment on Cecil, but not this.
You're both right....BUT the killing of the lion brings something the Minneapolis and Chicago killings cant possibly bring.  A villain that nobody can defend and everyone can detest.  As a culture we rarely have a common enemy any more and people are reveling in it.

Nobody approves of murder but the causes/influences/blames of those murders bring one or multiple of the following into the conversation, race-gun control-oppression-immegration-government.  We can't agree on any of those so a) the conversation gets old and b) quite frankly the news of these murders gets old.

I'm offended by both but not outraged and i've started asking those that are outraged to turn their outrage into action and not just words on social media.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2015, 08:54:43 PM »
Because we don't. Theres a million things way more terrible in this world then this, but were getting upset over a lion. It's a lion.

Speak for yourself.  Lots of us here have the capacity to get upset about many things, and likewise happy about many things...all at the same time.

I'm not happy about the lion, or the recent spate of killings by police, or human trafficking, or the Iran nuclear deal, or the lack of any meaningful gun control in the U.S.  I could list many others, but hopefully you get the point.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2015, 09:40:10 PM »
You should know, Doc. I'll bet the number of hunters coming into your shop to get fur out of their gums has decreased markedly since the '70's.

Definitely, muck divin' ain't what it used to be, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2015, 09:45:57 PM »

Definitely, muck divin' ain't bet'rn what it used to be, hey?
FIFY

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2015, 09:47:47 PM »
Remind us old married farts what muck divin' is.  :o

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2015, 09:49:48 PM »

We were raised to hunt in the bush, Doc. Today's younger sportsmen simply don't know what wild game tastes like.

Death on call

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2015, 08:16:11 AM »
Chicagoans aren't as cute and furry as lions.

+ 1

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2015, 12:48:50 PM »
Last night at a gathering with friends...

Person No. 1, "Someone is probably going to kill that guy who killed Cecil."
Person No. 2, "Good!"

As a guest at someone else's home, and in an effort to help preserve a peaceful atmosphere on a beautiful summer evening, I bit my tongue.  I personally can't comprehend why someone would want to kill an animal like that, but people who think death is an appropriate penalty for killing an animal are really screwed up.  Not that it will come as a surprise to any of you, but Person No. 2 is a vegan.

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2015, 01:14:36 PM »

From what I a told muff diving has become skin diving...

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2015, 01:15:53 PM »

Person No. 2, "Good!"

As a guest at someone else's home, and in an effort to help preserve a peaceful atmosphere on a beautiful summer evening, I bit my tongue.  I personally can't comprehend why someone would want to kill an animal like that, but people who think death is an appropriate penalty for killing an animal are really screwed up.  Not that it will come as a surprise to any of you, but Person No. 2 is a vegan.

I had a similar encounter yesterday with one of my millenials on staff.  She's from Wisconsin, very left wing, anti-death penalty type.  She said she hopes someone kills this guy.  I asked her, aren't you against the death penalty, and for gun control, etc, etc?  She said yes, but she can make an exception.  So I asked her the obvious, so the guy that goes into the theater and kills a bunch of innocent people shouldn't get the death penalty, but the guy that LEGALLY killed this lion should be killed? 

To her credit she said, "yeah, I know that's f'd up"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »

Person No. 2, "Good!"

I agree. Some people have said he should be hunted it's disgusting I'm really against game hunting but it shouldn't be death penalty. It's like that one college cheerleader who shot the leopard or rhino or something and people were saying she should be raped etc I think people make impulse threats when they see something revolting.
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2015, 03:03:53 PM »
I had a similar encounter yesterday with one of my millenials on staff.  She's from Wisconsin, very left wing, anti-death penalty type.  She said she hopes someone kills this guy.  I asked her, aren't you against the death penalty, and for gun control, etc, etc?  She said yes, but she can make an exception.  So I asked her the obvious, so the guy that goes into the theater and kills a bunch of innocent people shouldn't get the death penalty, but the guy that LEGALLY killed this lion should be killed? 

To her credit she said, "yeah, I know that's f'd up"

Bet she drinks beer straight outta the bottle, too, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2015, 07:00:29 AM »
Curious the uproar about Cecil while barely a whimper about Planned Parenthood selling body parts of the unborn.

For many years my friends and I would trailer our dogs out to places in the West and Midwest to bird hunt. We would employ guides who obtained ranches and farms where we could enjoy the dog work and harvest some mighty good eating.  We were entirely in their hands as to where we could legally be. But rest assured we were all up-to-date on what the local laws were and abided by them. I assume  the guy paid the professional guides to provide a legal hunt .  If he is dodgy then he deserves all the criticism coming to him.

Because that simply isn't true?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2015, 07:03:06 AM »
Al Jazeera America ‏@ajam  3m3 minutes ago
Opinion: ‘Cecil who?’ Zimbabweans ask http://alj.am/z35f  via @wamagaisa

http://america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2015/8/cecil-who-zimbabweans-ask.html?utm_content=opinion&utm_campaign=ajam&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

"The Zimbabwean reaction on social media was mixed and reflected conflicting sentiments. Many were outraged. Others were skeptical about the international media coverage of the story. Zimbabwe is going through serious economic challenges. Most people have pressing needs — food, shelter and employment. Thousands of workers have been laid off after a Supreme Court judgment earlier this month that allows companies to terminate workers without offering severance packages. Itai Dzamara, a Zimbabwean democracy activist, has been missing for more than four months. His family, friends and sympathizers are worried about his safety and whereabouts. Unlike Cecil’s story, Dzamara’s has not received much international coverage."

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2015, 10:05:37 AM »
I'm hearing Cecil's bro may have bit the big one too.

We may have lion-gedon on the streets of mke now.  #mkelion
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:22:29 AM by Stone Cold »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2015, 03:27:11 PM »
I'm hearing Cecil's bro may have bit the big one too.

We may have lion-gedon on the streets of mke now.  #mkelion

Nope.  Still alive and not his brother:

http://gawker.com/jericho-the-lion-is-still-alive-isnt-cecils-brother-1721595898
Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2015, 09:42:18 AM »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2015, 10:01:20 AM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2015, 01:03:10 PM »

Jams

If a cop goes hunting is he confused by zebras?

I'll hang up and listen to your response.

Death on call