[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Which is your favorite musician parody from South Park

Wing
Lorde
Jennifer Lopez
Kanye West
The Broadway Bros (Stephen Sondheim, Stephen Schwartz, Andrew Lloyd-Webber & Elton John)
Stevie Nicks
Taylor Swift
R. Kelly

Author Topic: South Park - Best Musician Parody  (Read 6091 times)

Benny B

• All American
South Park - Best Musician Parody
« on: July 28, 2015, 11:25:36 AM »
Why?  Just because, OK?  If basketball season is your summer, then July 28th is like f-ing Groundhog's Day... so here's a load of BS to help you pass the time.  What better way than to consider the best South Park parodies of musicians from the last 19 years:

Wing: The most popular entertainer you'd never heard of before South Park clued you in.  Wing Han Tsang is actually a Hong Kong-born singer who lives in New Zealand with a very unique vocal style.  Think Mariah Carey with balls singing falsetto and someone kicks her in the groin... it's ridiculously popular in the Eastern Hemisphere.  The only musician on this list who actually supplied her own voice for the parody.

Lorde: "Feeling good on a Wednesday, ya ya ya" is just the latest skewering by Matt & Trey... this time, it's Aussie-born signer Lorde who - as it turns out - is actually a middle-aged geologist from Colorado who gains inspiration while sitting on the toilet.

"Llennifer" Lopez: Admit it... you've tried, but you just can't sing "Let's Run For the Border" without getting tongue-tied.  But even though Llennifer gets signed to a music contract (much to the chagrin of the real Jennifer Lopez), it's really con-man Mitch Connor behind the whole thing.  Ben Affleck didn't seem to notice.

Kanye West:  If you haven't figured out Season 13's "fish sticks" joke by now, you must be a gay fish.  Or Kanye West.  The parody was so genius, Matt & Trey brought Kanye back, as a "recovered" gay fish, in Season 18.  Come on Kanye, lighten up... at least you got to meet Aquaman.

The Broadway Bros:  If you had never considered taking your wife to a musical before October 2011, chances are pretty good that you've considered it since.  Andrew Lloyd-Webber just happens to be another bro who always takes in the Patriots' game while enjoying Hooter's hot wings and beer (along with fellow com-bro-sers Stephen Sondheim, Stephen Schwartz, and Elton John).  Yet he still maintains a prowess for titling musicals.  Whoop, there it is, indeed.

Stevie Nicks: After 9/11, there was a vacuum in the world of comedy for nearly two months until South Park aired its take on Osama Bin Laden.  Not to be forgotten in the episode was the B-plot where US forces deployed to Afghanistan mistook a local goat for Stevie Nicks who they had been expecting for a USO show.  In real life, Ms. Nicks said she found the episode hysterical, the ultimate achievement for a parodist.  In fact, she had been so impressed by Matt & Trey's work over the years, that she green-lighted over the phone the use of "Landslide"  ten years later in South Park's cynical, self-reflective episode, "You're Getting Old" without question or having even read the script.  Fans of the show immediately took note of this rare, non-ironic and very poignant use of Ms. Nicks work; not to worry though, as another part of the episode did portray a look-alike character named "Steamy" Nicks singing alongside "Steamy" Ray Vaughn (portrayed by Randy Marsh) at the local bowling alley.

Taylor Swift:  Taylor Swift made her first appearance on South Park not as a parody of herself but as a parody of memetic trends... specifically, when the meme of "Faith Hilling" was replaced by the "Taylor Swifting" meme in pop culture.  But that paled in comparison to the later parody where Taylor Swift was featured singing the duet "Baby, It's Cold Outside" with Bill Cosby.  And to think, until that episode aired, most of you thought it was just another harmless song we listened to around the holidays.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: South Park - Best Musician Parody
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
How is R. Kelly's Trapped in the Closet not on this list???!?!?!?!?  I do not recognize the legitimacy of this internet poll!!!

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 11:36:58 AM »
How is R. Kelly's Trapped in the Closet not on this list???!?!?!?!?  I do not recognize the legitimacy of this internet poll!!!

The R. Kelly one was the best. That Trapped in the Closet episode is gold

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 11:51:40 AM »
R. Kelly was hands down the best.

Fish Sticks is second.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 12:21:56 PM »
I suppose it doesn't constitute parody of him, but one of the funniest music-related gags on SP was when the parents and doctors finally realize that they have gone too far with Ritalin when the kids wanted to go see a Phil Collins concert.

"Phi Collins?  Oh my God, what have we done?"

An all around classic episode which also includes Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld and the hilarious video of the doctor with alternate method of fighting ADD.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:24:16 PM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 12:22:24 PM »
R. Kelly was hands down the best.

Fish Sticks is second.

Exactly this.

Also, though it's technically not South Park, I think the Team America theme song is by far better than all on the list (made by Parker and Stone).

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 12:42:01 PM »
I would like to say that my personal favorite DVDA song is Now You're a Man from Orgazmo: https://youtu.be/tx1mryKqvT8

But I like to throw handfuls...

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 01:06:09 PM »
I suppose it doesn't constitute parody of him, but one of the funniest music-related gags on SP was when the parents and doctors finally realize that they have gone too far with Ritalin when the kids wanted to go see a Phil Collins concert.

"Phi Collins?  Oh my God, what have we done?"

LOL. Just watched it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhMiYV04Q2k
SS Marquette

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 02:13:44 PM »
Ok... at the risk of exposing myself and MUScoop to numerous lawsuits by the Church of Scientology, I have added R. Kelly.

R Kelly: This parody was originally omitted from the list due to the fact that his brief "appearance" was more along the lines of a cut-away gag in support of the greater parody of CoS and Tom Cruise, whereas the other examples on the list are parodies that were either part of the main plot, carried through multiple episodes/seasons, and/or at the very least, stood on their own.  The "Trapped in the Closet" episode itself was superb, one of several to be nominated for an Emmy, but the poll isn't "best South Park episode involving a parody of a musician," it's simply "best musician parody."

Nevertheless, parody is parody no matter the length or layers involved, and the "pull out my gun" was an excellent bookend to the bit, so R Kelly has been added to the list by popular demand.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:19:29 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 02:15:01 PM »
I would like to say that my personal favorite DVDA song is Now You're a Man from Orgazmo: https://youtu.be/tx1mryKqvT8

Best line of the song: "Or is it the way he fights every day?  No, it's prob'ly the titties."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 02:27:16 PM »
Exactly this.

Also, though it's technically not South Park, I think the Team America theme song is by far better than all on the list (made by Parker and Stone).

I don't want to get into the parody vs. satire debate, but the only song on the Team America soundtrack that qualifies as a parody (IMO) is "Freedom Isn't Free."  Before iTunes jacked the price of downloads to $1.29, I downloaded it for 99 cents... with tax it came to $1.05.  I couldn't resist.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 04:08:43 PM »
I'm partial to Randy's Lorde.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 06:26:43 PM »
definitely r. kelly

just an interesting aside-my nephew(wife"s side) is an animator for south park and has been working on their 3-D stuff and game along with the episodes -no, i don't take any credit for having a "celebrity" in the family.  if they didn't run the credits so dang fast, but he's in there-john kujawa
don't...don't don't don't don't