[Today at 12:28:22 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 11:39:07 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Mav story about Jamil  (Read 7092 times)

tower912

• All American
Mav story about Jamil
« on: July 28, 2015, 11:05:58 AM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WarriorPride68

• All American
Re: Mav story about Jamil
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 02:40:56 PM »
Extremely proud of Jamil. Wish him the best of luck!

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 03:06:10 PM »
I hope he can stick.  It always seemed that his problem was not talent, but motivation.  Hopefully the prospect of an NBA salary will be motivating enough.  If he can hit 35% from 3 and play some good D, he'll find a role.  I like the Shawn Marion comparison, but Jamil has a long way to go before he's a defender at the level Marion was in his prime. 

The thing that bothers me is Carlisle never seemed to find a use for Crowder, who's actually a much better player than Jamil.  Smarter, better effort, better positioning, sees the court better, and a much better defender...
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 03:24:38 PM »
Jamil always reminded me of a quote from Rick Majerus about Ousmane Barro: "He'd rather hug everyone on the court rather than punch them." Every other player had a scowl after a big play, Jamil would run down the court with a giant grin on his face. He was extremely smart and good-natured ... sometimes felt that let him down on the basketball court. He has all the physical tools to be an NBA player.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 04:19:30 PM »
He frustrated me because to my eyes he had all of the physical tools but somehow ended up being less than the sum of the parts.   His biggest weakness was an unwillingness to be the man. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 04:33:02 PM »
He frustrated me because to my eyes he had all of the physical tools but somehow ended up being less than the sum of the parts.   His biggest weakness was an unwillingness to be the man. 

On the last play of the last home game of the regular season, Jamil drove in and had a tough but very achievable pull up jumper available to win or tie with 2 seconds left (i can't remember which).  He adjusts mid air and throws it to Derrick. 

I wish Sr. year was more memories like Davidson and not the burning image of Derrick throwing up the last shot on his senior night.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 04:35:25 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 04:41:47 PM »
I felt the same way about that play, but was labeled as a Derrick apologist for blaming someone other than Derrick. 

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 07:21:23 PM »
I felt the same way about that play, but was labeled as a Derrick apologist for blaming someone other than Derrick.

Where is Ners anyways?  He perma-banned?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 08:00:55 PM »
Where is Ners anyways?  He perma-banned?

He's done his time. Doesn't he qualify for early release under that Obama sentence commutation program?

FREE NERS NOW! 

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 08:28:42 PM »
He's done his time. Doesn't he qualify for early release under that Obama sentence commutation program?

FREE NERS NOW!

Something tells me the perma ban is mutual.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 08:43:11 PM »

FREE NERS NOW!
I'm WAY out of bounds from a seniority POV but Venkman....Don't cross the streams!  some things can't be undone.

That being said..yeah, bring back N'ers i honestly would like to see what he says on the politics board

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 09:45:43 PM »
That is awesome for Jamil and MU Basketball!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 09:47:36 PM »

He's here

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 09:53:47 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 09:55:07 PM »

There is no way in hell Ners would ever be able to stay away from here on his own.

He is banned, and we are all better off for it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 10:31:28 AM »
Amen, World, Amen.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 10:34:40 AM »
Account still active, last used in February, currently logged out.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 10:48:00 PM »

Me too, tower.

I was no fan of Derrick's extremely limited basketball ability, but Jamil got my vote as "most disappointing player" in 2013-14.

Lots of the preseason hype about the Warriors assumed Jamil was going to take "the next step." He did ... only it was backward!

As for the Mavs ... come on. Jamil might be a lovely guy. Don't know him. Never met him. But I did see him play 100 basketball games. And he is not good enough to be in the NBA.*

*Full disclosure: I said the same about Buycks, so maybe there is a fraction of a percent of a chance.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 09:22:25 AM »
During the Butler tourney game, Jamil hit a three and mouthed a kiss at one of the Butler players.  I was hoping that would be the single moment where he broke out of his shell, but unfortunately, this seemingly-newfound aggression was shortlived.

Anyway, good to see him get picked up.  I'm a Mavs fan once again.

Hopefully he gets some PT and scores a point so that he can officially be an NBA player.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 10:30:49 AM »
It sounds somewhat ridiculous but there are guys whose games fit better in the NBA than in college basketball. No one watched Dwight Buycks at MU thought he would ever sniff the NBA. No one thought that Jimmy Butler would be an All-Star. Jamil could be one of those guys (much closer to Buycks than Butler, obviously).

So many fans expected Jamil to be "the man" for MU, but that just wasn't his game. He looked the part as a 6'7" rafter-touching athlete, but he wasn't particularly quick nor did he have a definitive strength to his game. He did a lot of things well but his college ceiling was that of a third-option on a good team. That's what he was in '12-'13 and, not coincidentally, that was his best season and MU's best season since Wade.

In terms of NBA ability, his ceiling is that of a 10th man energy/3-and-D wing player. He's never going to be a star but if a team is looking to fill out their roster, it could do a lot worse than a high character, hard worker with a 40" vertical and an NBA build.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 11:04:11 AM »
That is fair.   He can be Robin, not Batman.   

SuddenSam

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 12:23:06 PM »
NBA body type but don't recall NBA skills.  Hot and cold shooting, plenty of nights where nothing hit.  Obviously would be great to see him land in the association.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 03:29:33 PM »
NBA body type but don't recall NBA skills.  Hot and cold shooting, plenty of nights where nothing hit.  Obviously would be great to see him land in the association.

True...but you can teach an athlete to shoot. You can't teach a shooter to be an athlete.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 03:38:56 PM »
I actually don't think Jamil is a great "basketball athlete." In college, he was all too easy to beat off the dribble, and how often did he blow past his man on the dribble? Rarely, especially if the man across from him was any kind of athlete at all.

For a fringe player to survive, he usually has to have one skill that catches a coach's eye. We know what Novak's skill was and what Butler's skill was and what Matthews' skill was.

What is that one thing Jamil has that will make Carlisle go, "Wow, we've got something here?" Unless he has developed a knock-down 3 or toughness or lateral quickness, I'm not seeing it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson