Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Early look at the Big East.  (Read 10783 times)

swoopem

• All American
Re: Early look at the Big East.
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2015, 10:13:34 AM »
Is there another Big East team that is going to be starting a freshmen point guard with no point guard back up? We have had the worst point guard in the Big East the last two years and I do not see that changing this year. Taylor could be 50% better than Derrick and we still most likely will have the worst point guard situation in the Big East with no experience and no true back up.

His name is Traci Carter. Not sure where you're getting Taylor from. He is going to be a stud.
Bring back FFP!!!

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2015, 11:40:13 AM »
Taylor's gone to Toledo - he wouldn't have been a very good PG anyway.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2015, 12:30:37 PM »
His name is Traci Carter. Not sure where you're getting Taylor from. He is going to be a stud.
Brain fart. I know his name, but when I am posting at work I do not take time to review what I typed. It always amazing me what I typed compared to what I thought I typed.
I have no doubt that Traci will be a stud as a senior, but he has a lot to learn before then. You are expecting a lot out of a freshmen at the toughest & most important position to play.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2015, 03:39:33 PM »
PG Taylor/Cheatnam Dead last Two freshmen point guards with the back up not playing point in high school.
Am I translating this correctly, because they are Freshmen with no experience they are defaulted to the bottom of starting PG’s in the big East?

" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2015, 05:20:13 PM »
Is there another Big East team that is going to be starting a freshmen point guard with no point guard back up? We have had the worst point guard in the Big East the last two years and I do not see that changing this year. Taylor could be 50% better than Derrick and we still most likely will have the worst point guard situation in the Big East with no experience and no true back up.

Why are we fitting these guys for a noose before they ever set foot on the court?

Before we build a gallows, let's make sure they committed the crime! In other words, give 'em a chance before we   hang 'em for being bad!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2015, 05:24:51 PM »
Why are we fitting these guys for a noose before they ever set foot on the court?

Before we build a gallows, let's make sure they committed the crime! In other words, give 'em a chance before we   hang 'em for being bad!

I agree, but we shouldn't build them a pedestal to fall off either.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2015, 05:55:51 PM »
When we get to the Big East I see our starting lineup as Henry, Luke, JJJ, Sandy and Duane.  Wally sixth man off the bench for instant energy. Then the rest of the freshman with limited minutes earning more as they prove themselves.

I think Duane will do a very good job running the offense.  So I am not concerned about the point guard situation provided he stays healthy.

I think the loss of STjr will hurt us a lot. He seemed to have some pep at the end of the year and I think he was poised for a solid senior year.

Gabe Levin would have been a major contributor if he had stayed.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2015, 06:12:31 PM »
When we get to the Big East I see our starting lineup as Henry, Luke, JJJ, Sandy and Duane.  Wally sixth man off the bench for instant energy. Then the rest of the freshman with limited minutes earning more as they prove themselves.

I think Duane will do a very good job running the offense.  So I am not concerned about the point guard situation provided he stays healthy.

I think the loss of STjr will hurt us a lot. He seemed to have some pep at the end of the year and I think he was poised for a solid senior year.

Gabe Levin would have been a major contributor if he had stayed.

I don't think you will see Duane playing a whole lot of point guard.  No more than 12 minutes per game, in my estimation.  Wojo has said numerous times he likes Duane off the ball if possible.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2015, 08:15:14 PM »
I don't think you will see Duane playing a whole lot of point guard.  No more than 12 minutes per game, in my estimation.  Wojo has said numerous times he likes Duane off the ball if possible.
Who do you see playing the position?
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2015, 09:31:01 PM »
Who do you see playing the position?

A lot of Traci Carter, a little Haniif Cheatham.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2015, 10:22:47 PM »
Am I translating this correctly, because they are Freshmen with no experience they are defaulted to the bottom of starting PG’s in the big East?

Experience is very important and so is talent.
Returning starters.
Butler Alex Barlow
DePaul Billy Garrett Jr.
Providence Kris Dunn
Seton Hall Isaiah Whitehead
Villanova Ryan Arcidiacono
Possibly 5 teams including MU, that will have to replace their starting point guard, At least three of them had a freshman point guard on last year's team that will probably step and start this year.
Remember I am not just picking on Traci. I am pointing out that Haanif Cheatnam is his predicted backup did not even play point in high school.  Assuming Traci plays 30 minutes a game that means Cheatnam gets 10 or maybe you pull Wilson from the two, but that weakens the two spot. MU has no experience at point guard and that is what makes them last in my mind. There are exceptions, but history shows that freshmen often do not have a big impact their freshmen year in the Big East.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 10:24:27 PM by bilsu »

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2015, 10:54:02 PM »
Returning starters.
Butler Alex Barlow
DePaul Billy Garrett Jr.
Providence Kris Dunn
Possibly 5 teams including MU, that will have to replace their starting point guard, At least three of them had a freshman point guard on last year's team that will probably step and start this year.
Remember I am not just picking on Traci. I am pointing out that Haanif Cheatnam is his predicted backup did not even play point in high school.  Assuming Traci plays 30 minutes a game that means Cheatnam gets 10 or maybe you pull Wilson from the two, but that weakens the two spot. MU has no experience at point guard and that is what makes them last in my mind. There are exceptions, but history shows that freshmen often do not have a big impact their freshmen year in the Big East.

Thanks for your response.   Hope that sometime during the season you have a chance to reevaluate how they preform.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2015, 10:49:49 AM »
Returning starters.
Butler Alex Barlow
DePaul Billy Garrett Jr.
Providence Kris Dunn

Whitehead's main accomplishment as a college player is torpedoing the Hall program to the point where their starting PG transferred mid-season and their best player transferred after the season. He also shot 36% and turned it over nearly four times a game. Think you're mixing up a player who is returning and a returning player being good.

Also, Alex Barlow is no longer a college player. Eligibility exhausted.

So, in reality, the Big East PG pool is one stud; one go getter on the best team; and a good player on a terrible squad. Not exactly a murderers row of talent.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2015, 08:55:20 PM »
add DSR as a returning Stud PG even though he'll likely be back to more off the ball with Tre Campbell getting more run at PG I expect DSR to still play a lot of the 1 like he did last year.

Dunn
DSR
Arcidiacino
Garett Jr
Whitehead
Tyler Lewis at Butler (All American in High School played a year at NC St)
Mo Watson at Creighton (transfer from Boston U)

are all proven and will likely be better than whomever plays PG for Marquette.

Xavier has a lot of options, but none proven so can't say for sure on them and No clue who's playing Point Guard for St. John's but I'd err on the side of Marquette's options being better.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2015, 08:49:28 AM »
No clue who's playing Point Guard for St. John's but I'd err on the side of Marquette's options being better.

Fixed that for you.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle