'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by tower912
[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Austin Nichols transferring from Memphis  (Read 61972 times)

Fullodds

• All American
Austin Nichols transferring from Memphis
« on: July 07, 2015, 09:52:46 PM »
Memphis blocking the move.  He would have two years left.  Very skilled and active big. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Austin Nichols transferring from Memphis
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 10:03:38 PM »
Memphis blocking the move.  He would have two years left.  Very skilled and active big. 

Obciously I Don't know the situation but I feel that whenever a school goes and trys to block a transfer it's just in bad taste.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 05:23:40 AM »
Has he announced where he wants to transfer to?  Blocking the transfer, are they not giving him his release?

I didn't think Memphis could block a transfer unless the new school was already designated.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 07:19:19 AM by lurch91 »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 05:34:52 AM »
No, you block to prevent them from going somewhere. Like when Jarrod Uthoff announced his intent to transfer and Bo Ryan blocked the Big 10, the ACC, Florida, Marquette, and any school eligible for the NCAA Tournament in the slim chance they might play Wisconsin.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 06:56:25 AM »
Has he announced where he wants to transfer to?  Blocking the transfer, are they not giving him his release?

I didn't think Memphis could block a transfer unless he new school was already designated.

An ESPN article said Baylor, Marquette, and Notre Dame called to check on the status of his release.  Wonder if Jajaun and Austin are pals?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 07:15:40 AM »
Aki Collins landed Nichols at Memphis just one year after he moved on from his role at Marquette. Interesting tidbit.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 07:32:20 AM »
No, you block to prevent them from going somewhere. Like when Jarrod Uthoff announced his intent to transfer and Bo Ryan blocked the Big 10, the ACC, Florida, Marquette, and any school eligible for the NCAA Tournament in the slim chance they might play Wisconsin.

But Wisconsin backed down when the negative publicity began to mount.  I can envision Memphis waiting until the player meets with the coach or something and then blocking transfer within their conference but beyond that they'll never pull it off.  They'd never land another recruit.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 07:42:04 AM »
I have seen some journalists supporting Memphis in blocking the transfer, at least temporarily. To lose this kid in July is the issue that leaves people sympathetic to Pastner.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 07:46:48 AM »
He's a Junior, so he sits a year.  But to add a 6' 9" body with this kind of skill for the season after next would be huge!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13217060/memphis-tigers-forward-austin-nichols-said-intends-transfer

Nichols, who averaged 13.3 points and 6.1 rebounds last season before suffering a season-ending ankle injury, was expected to be a candidate for American Athletic Conference Player of the Year. He informed Tigers coach Josh Pastner of his decision about a week ago, sources told ESPN.

Memphis has refused his request to transfer due to the timing. All of the high school players for this season have made their decisions, and there are few high-level transfers left as well.

"The school isn't going to release him,'' Pastner told ESPN's Andy Katz on Tuesday night. "We spoke with Austin in mid-June and everything was fine. We named him captain after the season. We don't know what has changed.''

Pastner said the entire coaching staff was caught off guard by the decision.

"He's a potential player of the year in our league. He's been nothing but great the first two years we have had him,'' said Pastner. "He's been terrific on the floor.''

Pastner said the president and athletic director support the decision not to release him. He added that the staff hasn't heard from Nichols since he made his announcement.

A source told ESPN that Baylor, Marquette and Notre Dame were among the schools which called to check on Nichols' release, but the school wouldn't grant one.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 07:48:35 AM »
I have seen some journalists supporting Memphis in blocking the transfer, at least temporarily. To lose this kid in July is the issue that leaves people sympathetic to Pastner.

Agree that the timing is awkward but ultimately Memphis has almost no choice.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 07:55:30 AM »
Agree that the timing is awkward but ultimately Memphis has almost no choice.

Agree

Can anyone name a case where a kid that says he wants to transfer was ultimately not allowed to?

All I can think of is how Bo was crucified by the national press for not allowing Utoff to transfer to Iowa.  Eventually Bucky/Bo caved and let him go to Iowa.

The national media will kill Pastner suggesting a schollie is made to look like a form of slavery.  Additionally, you don't want to hurt future recruiting by making Memphis look like a roach motel (players check-in but can never check out).

If Nichols doesn't change his mind, they will eventually let him out.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 07:58:31 AM by Heisenberg »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 08:03:17 AM »
not that pastner would be offered the job...but if something like the rumors out of sacramento went down, and calapari jumped to the kings.  i'm sure pastner wouldn't accept the kentucky job in july either...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 08:42:10 AM »
Agree

Can anyone name a case where a kid that says he wants to transfer was ultimately not allowed to?

All I can think of is how Bo was crucified by the national press for not allowing Utoff to transfer to Iowa.  Eventually Bucky/Bo caved and let him go to Iowa.

The national media will kill Pastner suggesting a schollie is made to look like a form of slavery.  Additionally, you don't want to hurt future recruiting by making Memphis look like a roach motel (players check-in but can never check out).

If Nichols doesn't change his mind, they will eventually let him out.
They cannot stop him from transferring. Not releasing him means he cannot get a scholarship for a year.  Bo was crucified, because he was very successful. The press will pick on a coach like that, before they will pick on a coach like Pastner. They would be all over Coach K, if he did this and Wojo would barely hit the radar, if he did this. The press is always looking to take down the big guy.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 08:47:44 AM »
I see no way this ends well for Memphis. Either they cave to pressure from the media and let Nichols go, Nichols challenges it and Memphis is forced to let him go, or Nichols challenges it and is forced to stay. At best, Memphis gets a player who is there against their will, will transfer midseason, and will have coaches negatively recruiting against them for years. At worst, they lose the player, get blasted in the media, and still have the negative recruiting. Announcing the transfer too late to be convenient is not a good reason to deny a transfer. Their best course of action is to let him transfer as soon as possible
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 08:50:14 AM »
None of you seem to understand that it's July. A kid doesn't ask for a release in July unless he's been tampered with and Pastner knows that. He'll stall it out as long as it's feasible through a legal/PR prism so he can figure out which program(s) are the ones doing the dirty. Nichols will then be released and those schools will be on the block list.

Bruce Pearl is a master in this type of whispering.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 08:55:04 AM »
None of you seem to understand that it's July. A kid doesn't ask for a release in July unless he's been tampered with and Pastner knows that. He'll stall it out as long as it's feasible through a legal/PR prism so he can figure out which program(s) are the ones doing the dirty. Nichols will then be released and those schools will be on the block list.

Great point.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 08:58:52 AM »

Plus Tax
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 08:59:46 AM »

What kind of tampering do you think went on here? "Oh hey coaches who were interested in your services before are still interested in them... just in case..."

Also, how does that improve Pastner's position? "There's some funny business here so I'm going to respond with funny business of my own. That'll show 'em."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 09:13:36 AM »
FWIW Nichols requested to transfer either June 25 or 26, it was just yesterday that Memphis denied the transfer. Not saying there wasn't tampering, by the request was in a couple weeks ago.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 09:49:16 AM »

Until coaches are prevented from listening to better offers from other schools and the NBA, I don't see public opinion being very sympathetic to complaints about tampering.  I really am surprised schools still try and pull stunts like this.   
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 09:58:37 AM »

Well, Baylor's involved, so there's that.  But how do you undermine the commitment of a guy who who is regarded not only as his team's main guy, but his conference's likely player of the year?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2015, 10:18:15 AM »
Well, Baylor's involved, so there's that.  But how do you undermine the commitment of a guy who who is regarded not only as his team's main guy, but his conference's likely player of the year?

Since Baylor is involved it can rightly be called tampering? What should we call it since Wojo is also supposedly involved?

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2015, 11:05:52 AM »
Since Baylor is involved it can rightly be called tampering? What should we call it since Wojo is also supposedly involved?

I got the impression that Baylor, MU, and ND all inquired openly to Memphis within the past week.  I think the speculation is that the reason Memphis is denying the release is because it suspects that Baylor jumped the gun, as many people are suspicious that Scott Drew's methods may have become "unsound."
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2015, 11:50:44 AM »
He should just let off a few smoke bombs in some classrooms.

Get the boot from school.

Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 12:02:27 PM »
He should just let off a few smoke bombs in some classrooms.

Get the boot from school.

Back in the day at Memphis State a player actually going to class could get him kicked off the team...

Death on call

feedback