[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette expanding again?  (Read 5758 times)

copious1218

• All American
Marquette expanding again?
« on: July 07, 2015, 12:13:19 PM »
Hadn't seen this posted yet, but I recall others talking about it in a different thread a few months ago.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/business/312126001.html

MUMountin

• All American
Re: Marquette expanding again?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 12:43:58 PM »
Interesting--really working to move that footprint east.  Probably a good move.

Will this eventually be converted into another dorm?  Getting a little far flung from the main part of campus, but I guess not really much different than Mashuda.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 12:53:51 PM »
Unless they have purchased all real estate under this LLC, I am thinking that they are going to operate the hotel for at least a bit until they figure out what they are going to do.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 01:02:05 PM »
Unless they have purchased all real estate under this LLC, I am thinking that they are going to operate the hotel for at least a bit until they figure out what they are going to do.

I think you are correct.  I'm guessing, the long term plan would be to move the living areas east (closer to downtown and replace the current dorm footprint with academic buildings.  Puts a buffer between where the students are the majority of the time(housing) and the less than savory parts of town...at least for the underclassmen.  Just a guess on my part.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 01:07:18 PM »
I believe Marquette now owns 100% of the land south of Michigan, north of I-794 and west of 6th.  This is a major parcel with outstanding visibility.  The Health Research Center is slotted west of James Lovell (7th).  I'd have to think that the Ramada building will be eventually razed.  Don't know if they have anything in mind specifically at this moment but certainly new housing is an option.  I know student housing is necessarily in the cards within a handful of years.  I remind folks about this year's Humphrey/McCabe flip flop designed to provide more underclassmen beds immediately.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 01:14:09 PM »
Can put students in the hotel while the beer can at 16th and Wisconsin is being recycled. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 01:21:25 PM »
Manifest Destiny! I think the next block is Assurant Health, which may be available. The east of Assurant is a vacant office building too. Step 1: Own all of Milwaukee. Step 2: ???? Step 3: Profit.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 01:28:09 PM »
I think you are correct.  I'm guessing, the long term plan would be to move the living areas east (closer to downtown and replace the current dorm footprint with academic buildings.  Puts a buffer between where the students are the majority of the time(housing) and the less than savory parts of town...at least for the underclassmen.  Just a guess on my part.

Disagree.  Isn't Taco Bell out there?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 01:40:00 PM »
Disagree.  Isn't Taco Bell out there?

+1

Move all the dorms east and the kids will have to go to restaurants like Capital Grille. Fine fare, but might be a bit pricey for those on a per diem.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 01:46:48 PM »
Manifest Destiny! I think the next block is Assurant Health, which may be available. The east of Assurant is a vacant office building too. Step 1: Own all of Milwaukee. Step 2: ???? Step 3: Profit.

Assurant is going to be moving out, but that block is assessed at $22.9 million.  You're right that the building directly east of Assurant is vacant, but it is in the process of being converted to high end apartments.  Bottom line, I think we can still own all of Milwaukee, but it will cost lots of $$$.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 01:59:11 PM »
I'm pretty sure this is where the Crean Soccer Extravaganza will be built, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 02:43:44 PM »
Would be interesting if they used it as a modern straz east for a few years while building another dorm over mccormick. All rooms have a private bathroom, close to downtown, food in the dorm, I'm assuming there are conference rooms, suites for RA's, right next to the state of the art fitness center.... A lot of positives could be achieved with a modest remodel.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 03:22:29 PM »
Puts a buffer between where the students are the majority of the time(housing) and the less than savory parts of town...

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over?

Do I need to point out that it was in the "less savory parts of town" where we received our well rounded Jesuit education? I believe it was St. Alfred McGuire who encouraged us to explore.

You disappoint, Navy. 

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 04:14:23 PM »
Not sure if it's in good enough shape to be a dorm.  The Ramada was skeevy even back in my day.

But stranger things have happened.  McCabe, which is arguably the nicest dorm currently, used to be an SRO.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 05:03:48 PM »
Not sure if it's in good enough shape to be a dorm.  The Ramada was skeevy even back in my day.

But stranger things have happened.  McCabe, which is arguably the nicest dorm currently, used to be an SRO.

True - the Ramada has been a dump for decades.  But then again, so has McCormick....

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 06:16:08 PM »
Would it also put the students closer to the BC and the new arena?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 09:58:29 PM »
Would it also put the students closer to the BC and the new arena?

no, that would be Seattle U.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 01:15:48 AM »
no, that would be Seattle U.

Seattle U is actually quite close to where they want to build the new basketball arena.

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 07:15:18 AM »
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over?

Do I need to point out that it was in the "less savory parts of town" where we received our well rounded Jesuit education? I believe it was St. Alfred McGuire who encouraged us to explore.

You disappoint, Navy. 

Hey not a value statement, the less than savory parts of town is pretty much how I spent 4 of the best years of my life.  Having said that, today's helicopter parent does not place the same value on a broad set of experiences that you and I do.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 08:29:34 AM »
At this juncture I don't think anything is decided.  MU is currently undertaking a master planning process.  When land becomes available they are clearly jumping on it but I think it premature to think it's been earmarked for anything.  The Board is trying to do this somewhat systematically.  When you think about it, MU's 'land bank' got significantly smaller when the law school was built on Tory Hill.  Kind of thinking the Children's Hospital demo fits the same model.

Also, for those that haven't been to campus in awhile, MU visibility is 100 fold what is was before Eckstein Hall went up.  I'm really expecting the same impact on the northeast corner of the MU interchange when this is all said and done.  That Health Center is going to be very impressive.  Now we just need to find somebody to pay for it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 08:37:12 AM »
At this juncture I don't think anything is decided.  MU is currently undertaking a master planning process.  When land becomes available they are clearly jumping on it but I think it premature to think it's been earmarked for anything.  The Board is trying to do this somewhat systematically.  When you think about it, MU's 'land bank' got significantly smaller when the law school was built on Tory Hill.  Kind of thinking the Children's Hospital demo fits the same model.

Also, for those that haven't been to campus in awhile, MU visibility is 100 fold what is was before Eckstein Hall went up.  I'm really expecting the same impact on the northeast corner of the MU interchange when this is all said and done.  That Health Center is going to be very impressive.  Now we just need to find somebody to pay for it.

What, your checks aren't big enough yet?  Come on section 402 should be putting a name on the thing ;)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2015, 09:01:13 AM »
What, your checks aren't big enough yet?  Come on section 402 should be putting a name on the thing ;)

LOL.  I must say that it amuses me that there are certain folks on this board who are fond of saying, "Marquette should do this" or "Marquette should build that" and all the while, their wallets remain firmly lodged in their back pockets.
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2015, 09:46:11 AM »
Hey not a value statement, the less than savory parts of town is pretty much how I spent 4 of the best years of my life.  Having said that, today's helicopter parent does not place the same value on a broad set of experiences that you and I do.

And now we spend our days on the less savory parts of the interwebs here at Ye Olde Scoope Emporium.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2015, 11:38:11 AM »
Does anyone know where the money for these real estate purchases come from. The Endowment? Separate Real Estate Fund? Bond sale? Quicken Loan Mortgage?

In contrast to billionaire owners asking the state for money to construct a new arena, it is nice to see private entities like Marquette and MSOE utilize their own funds to purchase land and construct new buildings.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 11:46:02 AM »
Does anyone know where the money for these real estate purchases come from. The Endowment? Separate Real Estate Fund? Bond sale? Quicken Loan Mortgage?

In contrast to billionaire owners asking the state for money to construct a new arena, it is nice to see private entities like Marquette and MSOE utilize their own funds to purchase land and construct new buildings.
One of the LLCs was based in Oconomowoc.  There are a few wealthy alums on Oconomowoc Lake, Pine Lake, etc.

feedback