'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 0% taxes in Texas nice change for Wesley and DeAndre in Breitbart Sports lead  (Read 10867 times)

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015/07/04/california-taxes-blamed-for-deandre-jordans-exodus-to-texas/

story earlier in the day noted the big pull for the Bucks ...

and Friday Greg Monroe shocked all by rejecting the New York Knicks (3.8% city + 8.8% state) to pay almost 5% less in Milwaukee (0% city + 7.7% state)

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2015/07/03/top-players-rejecting-kobe-high-taxes-in-ny-and-la/

What a great week for MU grads and the Bradley Center's other team. Can't wait for the season.

The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
Dumb.

Pakuni

• All American
The upside of playing pro sports in Texas = no state income tax
The downside of playing pro sports in Texas = living among so many Texans

warriorchick

• All American

And allegedly it's the conservatives who are bigots...
Have some patience, FFS.

Pakuni

• All American
And allegedly it's the conservatives who are bigots...

Also, humorless.

warriorchick

• All American
Also, humorless.

Not quite; sometimes it's hard to tell which outrageous statements are jokes and which are serious.
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified

The male texans are a obnoxious.

But those Texas women.... *cue up Keefe*
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
The male texans are a obnoxious.

But those Texas women.... *cue up Keefe*

All my exes ....

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
Dumb.

My guess is neither of us will never have to think about how dumb it is that we have avoided writing out $14 million in checks to the state of California for signing a contract there :-) but if I'm wrong - then congrats on your success!
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Dumb.

Smart

Good to see they figured it out, or hired the right advisors to do so on their own.

Very smart.

Bravo

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
This is a little misleading because NBA players pay taxes based on where the games are played.  So, even though Wes/DeAndre will pay no taxes for the games they play in Texas (which I understand is now half of the games, instead of just a few), they will have to pay the California rate for the games they play there.

http://midlevelexceptional.com/2014/07/23/exploring-true-value-contract/

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
This is a little misleading because NBA players pay taxes based on where the games are played.  So, even though Wes/DeAndre will pay no taxes for the games they play in Texas (which I understand is now half of the games, instead of just a few), they will have to pay the California rate for the games they play there.

http://midlevelexceptional.com/2014/07/23/exploring-true-value-contract/

Actually more.

Games at Houston, San Antonio as well.

GB Warrior

• All American
Actually more.

And Memphis. So most of his games.

jficke13

• All American
Not positive, but I think there's no state income tax in FL either, so that means no state tax on games played in Miami and Orlando as well. The percent of state-tax-free-games keeps creeping higher.

brandx

Actually more.

No because that would be the case wherever he signed. All players, whomever they play for, pay no taxes in SA or Houston.

The benefit is only the 41 home games.

tower912

• All American
All that money and making your team choices on a few percentage points of tax.    First world problem. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Desert_warrior

• Scholarship Player
It sounds like it wasn't just money that lured Wesley. Mavericks brought along a highly respected trainer to meet with him which may have helped.

drewm88

• All American
No because that would be the case wherever he signed. All players, whomever they play for, pay no taxes in SA or Houston.

The benefit is only the 41 home games.

Technically, that's incorrect because being in the same division as SA and Houston (and Memphis) means 2 away games at each every season, when a different west team MAY only visit once.

But your point stands overall because we're down to a difference of 1-2 road games tops.

brandx

Technically, that's incorrect because being in the same division as SA and Houston (and Memphis) means 2 away games at each every season, when a different west team MAY only visit once.

But your point stands overall because we're down to a difference of 1-2 road games tops.

Agree.

JWags85

• All American
It sounds like it wasn't just money that lured Wesley. Mavericks brought along a highly respected trainer to meet with him which may have helped.

True.  If this was Mavs vs Clippers or something similar, then maybe its a tax issues potentially for $$ reasons.  But this was one of the most desirable franchises in the NBA for a player (IMO) with a savvy and player friendly owner vs a dumpster fire of an organization with a crazy, meddling owner.

bilsu

• All American
Not positive, but I think there's no state income tax in FL either, so that means no state tax on games played in Miami and Orlando as well. The percent of state-tax-free-games keeps creeping higher.
That is only true, if you live in those states. Generally, you report all of your wages in the state you live. You also report the wages in the state you earn them. You then claim a credit for the taxes paid to the nonresident state on your resident state's tax return. Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and Kentucky are reciprocity states. For example a person living in Wisconsin commuting to Illinois for work does not pay any Illinois tax and vice versa. A Wisconsin resident commuting to Iowa ( a non reciprocal state) for work pays Iowa tax and then claims a credit for the Iowa tax paid on their Wisconsin return. Assume you live in a 6% tax state and do some work in an 8% tax state. You make $100,000 in the 8% state and pay $8,000 in tax to that state. You owe $6,000 tax in your home state, but the $8,000 tax credit eliminates your 6% state tax and you do not get any credit for the additional $2,000 in tax paid. The result is that you pay $8,000 in tax. In the reverse situation you pay $6,000 tax in your nonresident state and you owe $8,000 in your resident state, which is reduced by $6,000 paid to the non resident state. In both cases you pay $8,000. The difference being is in case 1 you pay $8,000 +0 and in the second case you pay $6,000 + $2,000. A player choosing to live in Montana will report all of his income in Montana and will also pay tax in the states his team plays in. He would get no tax savings for the games played in Florida and Texas, because he will pay tax on the income in Montana and receive no credit for income tax paid in those states, since he would not of paid any tax to those states. I would assume Brewer players will need to allocate some of their wages to Arizona, since that is where spring training is.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
That is only true, if you live in those states. Generally, you report all of your wages in the state you live. You also report the wages in the state you earn them. You then claim a credit for the taxes paid to the nonresident state on your resident state's tax return. Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and Kentucky are reciprocity states. For example a person living in Wisconsin commuting to Illinois for work does not pay any Illinois tax and vice versa. A Wisconsin resident commuting to Iowa ( a non reciprocal state) for work pays Iowa tax and then claims a credit for the Iowa tax paid on their Wisconsin return. Assume you live in a 6% tax state and do some work in an 8% tax state. You make $100,000 in the 8% state and pay $8,000 in tax to that state. You owe $6,000 tax in your home state, but the $8,000 tax credit eliminates your 6% state tax and you do not get any credit for the additional $2,000 in tax paid. The result is that you pay $8,000 in tax. In the reverse situation you pay $6,000 tax in your nonresident state and you owe $8,000 in your resident state, which is reduced by $6,000 paid to the non resident state. In both cases you pay $8,000. The difference being is in case 1 you pay $8,000 +0 and in the second case you pay $6,000 + $2,000. A player choosing to live in Montana will report all of his income in Montana and will also pay tax in the states his team plays in. He would get no tax savings for the games played in Florida and Texas, because he will pay tax on the income in Montana and receive no credit for income tax paid in those states, since he would not of paid any tax to those states. I would assume Brewer players will need to allocate some of their wages to Arizona, since that is where spring training is.

Good post, but this is terribly hard to read.  Suggest breaking it up a bit.

I'm not completely sure how it works living in states with no state income tax, but I would assume taxes paid for games in CA, IL, etc. would be credited against their state tax return in TX.  In essence, they still would have 0 state income taxes.

I have to file for multiple states every year and have recently spent a lot of time in FL.  I still get taxed for my earnings in FL on my NY return.  I just cant claim any credit for taxes paid for those earnings as no income tax was deducted.  On the flip side, when I travel to VA or IL, I am taxed there, and then use those tax payments as credits towards my NY return.  As I am still technically taxed my full amount there.

Again, I'm not completely sure how the credits for state taxes paid work in states with no income tax, but I would assume its similar and has the net effect of no state income tax.

jficke13

• All American
I did hear from some NASCAR driver that his accountant has to file in like 35 states for him. At that point I'm thinking paying the accountant is better than trying to figure it out solo on turbotax.

drewm88

• All American
I did hear from some NASCAR driver that his accountant has to file in like 35 states for him. At that point I'm thinking paying the accountant is better than trying to figure it out solo on turbotax.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/you-think-your-taxes-are-bad-nascar-drivers-have-to-fi-1698060467

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
so if the politicians are planning on paying for part of the new arena on the backs of other teams' players tax revenue (and Bucks players natch) if they are on a team from a state with income taxes, does their state pay the state of WI the credit the player claims in his own state for $ earned in WI?