Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Cracked Sidewalks post July 2011"Trying to explain Jae Crowder's greatness"  (Read 6775 times)

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
After Jae Crowder averaged just under 12 points and 7 rebounds a game his junior year, and before he was near any mock draft, I wrote a Cracked Sidewalks post that has always been one of my favorite. In light of my joy at his wonderful $35 million contact, please indulge me in a recount from 4 years ago:

NBC Sports actually linked to the Cracked Sidewalks story here:
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/19/marquette-may-have-the-nations-best-all-around-player/

The Cracked Sidewalks headline was subtle, but I tipped my hand a little:

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2011/07/trying-to-explain-jae-crowders.html

It closed with this quote, which I am now pretty happy is not the case:

"However, Crowder’s greatness is among the best in the country, and hopefully he won’t go down as one of the most underrated players by our fan base as they come to appreciate all of the things he does."

Obviously by a year later he was the Big East POY, 2nd Team All-American and taking us to the Sweet 16 again. What a wonderful journey. Oh, did I mention I have a number of pictures of me with Jae after his seniors day massacre of Georgetown mounted on my office wall.

So happy for him and his wonderful father Corey, who actually introduced the two of us for the first time that day well after I started writing about him.

The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
I remember writing about his first game:

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2010/11/mu-exhibits-new-talent-wins-by-30.html

Jae Crowder was the first man off the bench, followed by Vander Blue.  Crowder had a double double, 15 and 10.

Crowder and Otule combined for 27 points. When was the last time MU's interior guys combined for 27? And 19 rebounds? (Maybe the last time we played a D3 team, yeah. Let me be excited for a few more minutes, ok?)

Sign me up for the Jae Crowder fan club.

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
Me too. Jae's almost soft-spoken manner masks a deep intensity and focus. How many times did we see him in a crowd of bigger bodies and come up with the rebound? Strength and class.

real chili 83

• All American
My favorite Jae moment...

When he snubbed the Badgers during introductions, and then went on with Derrick Wilson to kick #7 Wisconsin's a$$. 

In Madison.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified

When he snubbed the Badgers during introductions, and then went on with Derrick Wilson to kick #7 Wisconsin's a$$. 

In Madison.

I was at that game. Great, great moment.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
His drive, his intensity, his leadership, his refusal to lose and desire to be the man at crunch time made him the player we all remember fondly.   Remember when Buzz wouldn't start him in order to keep him out of early foul trouble?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
Me too. Jae's almost soft-spoken manner masks a deep intensity and focus. How many times did we see him in a crowd of bigger bodies and come up with the rebound? Strength and class.

Best traffic rebounder I've seen at that size. Also incredibly crafty in the paint defensively. Came up with a bunch of steals.

He and DJO don't get enough credit for how great they were at Marquette.

jsglow

• All American
My daughter and I were in Louisville for the tourney Jae's Senior year.  With about 7 minutes to go down big to Murray St. Junior got in Jae's face coming out of a timeout.  All of us in the MU section witnessed it.  Jae went off on both ends of the floor.  MU advanced.  Priceless.

warriorchick

• All American
He was also a master at drawing the charge. I don't know if he has been able to carry that skill to the NBA or not.
Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
He was also a master at drawing the charge. I don't know if he has been able to carry that skill to the NBA or not.

$35 mil.  He's doing something right.

BM1090

• All American
Best traffic rebounder I've seen at that size. Also incredibly crafty in the paint defensively. Came up with a bunch of steals.

He and DJO don't get enough credit for how great they were at Marquette.

Could not agree more with your last sentence. If it weren't for the ice cold shooting game vs. Florida in the S16, I think they'd be given more credit. That was a legit final four contender and better than the following year's elite 8 team, IMO.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
My 2 favorite Jae moments.

1) The game against West Virginia.  Words cannot appropriately describe that performance.

2) The game against Washington at the Garden.  I was screaming at the TV when Crowder didn't pass the ball under the hoop for the easy 2 when he took the jumper for 3.  And I was screaming like crazy in joy when he nailed it.

tower912

• All American
My 2 favorite Jae moments.

1) The game against West Virginia.  Words cannot appropriately describe that performance.

2) The game against Washington at the Garden.  I was screaming at the TV when Crowder didn't pass the ball under the hoop for the easy 2 when he took the jumper for 3.  And I was screaming like crazy in joy when he nailed it.

IIRC, Jamil hit the game winner.  

Edit:  .....Annnnnnnnnnnd a quick scan of scoop wiki indicates that my memory is complete crap.   
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:03:03 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2amrrcUpwyg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2amrrcUpwyg</a>

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Love that video -- just missing the DJO dunk against Louisville at home.

Those were fun years on the court.

withoutbias

• All American

In Madison.

what'd jae do to snub the badgers during intros?  do they do it female basketball style for all their regular season home games where they alternate home and away starters and have them meet at half court?  and jae didn't do that?  if so, I didn't think my respect for jae could've grown anymore than it was, but it just did.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
what'd jae do to snub the badgers during intros?  do they do it female basketball style for all their regular season home games where they alternate home and away starters and have them meet at half court?  and jae didn't do that?  if so, I didn't think my respect for jae could've grown anymore than it was, but it just did.

Jae was called first and he ran to center court.  The badger guy (Gasser?) was called and started to pull his pistols out of the holster and ham it up.  Jae just stared for about 10 seconds then ran to the MU huddle - leaving him hanging when he finally ran to center court.

tower912

• All American
I remember watching Andre Drummond as a rookie with the Pistons having stretches where he just abused people physically and thinking 'Man, Crowder used to guard this guy better than anybody in tonight's game is.'

withoutbias

• All American
Jae was called first and he ran to center court.  The badger guy (Gasser?) was called and started to pull his pistols out of the holster and ham it up.  Jae just stared for about 10 seconds then ran to the MU huddle - leaving him hanging when he finally ran to center court.

that is outstanding.  i vaguely remember it but that is great.  if anybody can find a video of it that'd be greatly appreciated.