[Today at 02:39:15 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Most Watchable/Unwatchable Sports on TV/Live  (Read 6914 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
Most Watchable/Unwatchable Sports on TV/Live
« on: July 01, 2015, 04:57:35 AM »
I just watched the USA Womens soccer game against Germany...and realized that to me.... top flight women's soccer is the most watchable of women's sports.
I cannot watch the WNBA, ugh! and the worst...if you have have ever seen it is women's hockey.

On TV, NHL hockey isn't even close to as good a game as it is to watch in person.
I dont watch much pro golf on TV, but its a fun day to attend a PGA event, in person.

NFL is beautifully packaged for TV watching, but most NFL games, in person kind of drag on, with all the TV timeouts etc. For action, an NBA or NCAA game in person is great, but if I am trying to woo, and chat with a client an MLB game pace/length is better.

I would enjoy what other sports fans think here:

What sports (mens, women's or both) do you find are the most watchable/unwatchable on TV/in person ?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 05:02:22 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Most Watchable/Unwatchable Sports on TV/Live
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 06:43:07 AM »
Hockey and baseball are much, much better in person.

Basketball is slightly better in person.

Football is much, much better on television.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 08:13:04 AM »
The best sporting event I ever saw live was professional track meets especially when someone is attempting a world record.  The crowd is electric in a way I have never experienced at a team sporting event as you get the feeling you're witnessing something more important than sports but a milestone in the human achievement.

In general, individual events (track, swimming, cycling, tennis, golf, etc) much better live than on TV.  Team events (baseball, football, basketball, soccer), much better on TV than live.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 02:22:26 PM by Heisenberg »

source?

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 03:43:49 PM »
For me college basketball is the most fun in-person event. That could be because I have only ever been in the student's section, but to me it has always felt like a sport where you are more connected to the team (Disclosure: I have only been to Marquette, UWM, and Badgers games).

Baseball I love watching live, less so on tv (Disclosure: I have only gone to Brewers games).

Mixed martial arts/boxing I much prefer on tv. At live events you get super hyped for the actual fights, but the long breaks between when there are a high number of finishes makes the night drag on. I generally take those long breaks to make snacks at home. (Disclosure: I have only been to the two UFC events that were in Milwaukee and some local MMA and boxing shows. The local shows flowed better).

Soccer is much more fun in person IMO. I love how the crowd is almost always knowledgeable, the atmosphere, and US stadiums generally put you right up next to the action. At home it is easy to get distracted during lulls in action, and it is nearly impossible to get friends together to watch a big game. (Disclosure: I have only seen the Chicago Fire in person).

Football I pretty much agree with what has already been said.

NBA I give the slight edge to in-person viewing. (Disclosure: I've only been to Bucks games).

Can't say as I really watch any hockey.

My personal rankings are
1. College basketball live.
2. Baseball live
3. Soccer live
4. MMA/Boxing on tv
5. Football on tv
6. NBA live
7. MMA/Boxing live
8. College basketball on tv.
9. NBA on tv
10. Football live.
11. Baseball on tv.
12. Soccer on tv.

Not enough data to rank hockey.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 03:54:01 PM »
Best on TV:
1. Football
<huge gap>
2. Basketball
3. Baseball

Best in person:
1. Hockey
2. Basketball
3. Baseball

Golf is terrible in person, IMO. Football is nearly as bad. The game-day experience (read: tailgating) can be awesome, but in terms of actually watching the game, it's not good. It's the perfect made-for-TV sport.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 04:16:28 PM »
Best on TV:
1. Football
<huge gap>
2. Basketball
3. Baseball

Best in person:
1. Hockey
2. Basketball
3. Baseball

Golf is terrible in person, IMO. Football is nearly as bad. The game-day experience (read: tailgating) can be awesome, but in terms of actually watching the game, it's not good. It's the perfect made-for-TV sport.

This pretty much says it all.  It's exactly how I would rank the sports, and while this may not be Pakuni's intent, I would also exclude golf, soccer, and any BTSOH sports from any consideration whatsoever.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 07:22:50 PM »
I find football to be the most unwatchable. Far too much dead time, far too many commercial breaks. I can't fathom how a game that averages under 11 minutes of actual game action in a 3 hour period could be considered watchable. The average NFL game features about 6% of the time spent actually watching live football.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 07:40:55 PM »
I find football to be the most unwatchable. Far too much dead time, far too many commercial breaks. I can't fathom how a game that averages under 11 minutes of actual game action in a 3 hour period could be considered watchable. The average NFL game features about 6% of the time spent actually watching live football.
The only way* I hang on to my NFL fan badge is by a) not going to Arrowhead**, b) having the game on mute so i don't have to listen to the ever growing list of color commentators that have turned into caricatures of their own catch phrases, and c) turning Sunday afternoons into family game days so we have something to do during the other 80% of air time that is a waist.

*the hypocrisy of both the league and the NFLPA is really testing me.  plus, try watching the commercials during an NFL game with kids under 10....YIKES!

**anyone who has not done the Arrowhead tailgate experience should do it.  I've not been to every NFL stadium but 10(ish) and it's far and away better than any of those.  Still doesn't make up for the in game experience and i'm not a Chiefs fan ----- i just live here.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 08:18:56 AM »
I really enjoyed viewing jello wrestling live in Vegas awhile ago
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 10:22:43 AM »

If you aren't watching football with DVR, then you're doing it all wrong.

For a game with a noon start, I turn on my TV between 1:45-2:00p.  From there, it's two buttons on my remote.... skip forward & skip back.  No commercials, no timeouts... hell, as soon as the tackle is made, I skip forward to the teams coming to the LOS for the next down.  The only time I slow down and actually watch without skipping is when something's under review or scoring plays.  I usually catch up to live after the two minute warning.

In other words, I only spend 6% not actually watching live football.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 10:45:23 AM »

For a game with a noon start, I turn on my TV between 1:45-2:00p.  From there, it's two buttons on my remote.... skip forward & skip back.  No commercials, no timeouts... hell, as soon as the tackle is made, I skip forward to the teams coming to the LOS for the next down.  The only time I slow down and actually watch without skipping is when something's under review or scoring plays.  I usually catch up to live after the two minute warning.

I was going to post this same thing. Watching on DVR-delay works especially well when watching a game with your kids.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 10:49:51 AM »
my thoughts

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 10:58:01 AM »
Horse racing better on TV? TVG doesn't even have HD, way better in person.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 10:59:03 AM »

Meh. I've been to Arlington several times. Its fun....but mostly because you are drinking and gambling, not the actual sport. Its pretty slow, especially with the 30 minute breaks between races. At least on TV you can change the channel.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 11:33:54 AM »
Meh. I've been to Arlington several times. Its fun....but mostly because you are drinking and gambling, not the actual sport. Its pretty slow, especially with the 30 minute breaks between races. At least on TV you can change the channel.

I guess for the casual spectator.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
I guess for the casual spectator.

I guess that's fair. That would definitely be what I consider myself as far as horse racing goes.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 11:41:05 AM »
Best on TV:
1. Football
<huge gap>
2. Basketball
3. Baseball

Best in person:
1. Hockey
2. Basketball
3. Baseball

this pretty much nails it for me.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 12:44:08 PM »

If you're skipping 90+% of the televised event, that would seem like the definition of unwatchable  :-\

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 12:53:56 PM »
If you're skipping 90+% of the televised event, that would seem like the definition of unwatchable  :-\

Agreed.  I watch football just as he described...because I find the live version completely unwatchable.  More time runs off the clock while the players are standing around between plays than it does during live action.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 02:00:06 PM »
I can't decide if Tiddlywinks is better live or on TV

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/67VumrieWm8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/67VumrieWm8</a>
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 02:14:18 PM by Michael Kenyon »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 02:09:08 PM »
Those old Magic: The Gathering tournaments on ESPN2 were pretty brutal, especially for casual viewers who didn't know a thing about the game.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 02:13:41 PM »
The 70s teenager in me says the most watchable sport of all time was the Dunking Contest in the Battle of the Network Stars when anyone whose first name was Heather or last name was Landers was in the dunking booth.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 02:27:27 PM »

Especially at a stakes race.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 02:30:55 PM »
Personally I find hockey, especially playoff hockey, the most watchable on TV. The pace of play is fantastic and keeps the viewer engaged more so than any other sport. Fewer commercial breaks, replays, and breaks in the action. The breaks are timed well so you can sit down, watch for awhile, then you know you have time to use the bathroom, make a sandwich, whatever and be back for the next period.

source?

• All American
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 09:28:13 PM by source? »

feedback