[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Barry Alvarez to retire in the next year, too?  (Read 1540 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Barry Alvarez to retire in the next year, too?
« on: June 30, 2015, 09:43:49 AM »
http://host.madison.com/sports/college/basketball/badgers-men-s-basketball-if-bo-ryan-goes-barry-alvarez/article_0a9ab844-d526-11e3-bd24-0019bb2963f4.html

“I’ve told Bo that I don’t want to hire another (men’s) basketball coach,’’ Alvarez said.

Before everyone gets weird about this, Alvarez said there’s nothing formal or pending on this front, but his revelation came with a straight face.

“We were just talking one time,’’ he said of Ryan. “We’re both about the same age. We have the same contract. I’m not planning on hiring another basketball coach while I’m the athletic director.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Barry Alvarez to retire in the next year, too?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:55:34 AM »
Barry will be out in less than three years IMO. 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 10:10:44 AM »
If he lets Gard take over, he wouldn't have to hire another coach.

Hiring Gard as the next head coach means that he would have to hire Gard as the next head coach. He'd have to negotiate a contract with him at the very least.

I believe that an AD in Barry's situation would have to vet potential candidates before making a decision, even if he were strongly leaning one way. That means having to hire a recruiting firm and dealing with donors. It'd be a headache, and something that he's said in the past that he just doesn't want to deal with again.

In addition to the friction he's had with the past couple football coaches, I wouldn't be surprised if he threw in the towel.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 10:48:35 AM »
Alvarez will be an addition by subtraction at this point. They'll never get top flight coaches so long as they know they will be micromanaged. Alvarez has been unable to distance himself from his old gig.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:51:16 AM »
Alvarez will be an addition by subtraction at this point. They'll never get top flight coaches so long as they know they will be micromanaged. Alvarez has been unable to distance himself from his old gig.

Yes.  There is a sense that they need him to move on to take that next step as an athletic department.  Right now he doesn't do much but fund-raise and talk to coaches.  Much of the other stuff is done by his associates.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 11:20:53 AM »

Yes.  There is a sense that they need him to move on to take that next step as an athletic department.  Right now he doesn't do much but fund-raise and talk to coaches.  Much of the other stuff is done by his associates.

So do we root for him to leave because it'll be a reduction in fund-raising for an in-state rival?

Or do we root for him to stay because he's a disruptive influence inside of their Athletic Department?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 09:06:07 PM »
Hearing they will give him the old Wisconsin Handshake as they show him the door.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 09:13:40 PM »
Hiring Gard as the next head coach means that he would have to hire Gard as the next head coach. He'd have to negotiate a contract with him at the very least.

I believe that an AD in Barry's situation would have to vet potential candidates before making a decision, even if he were strongly leaning one way. That means having to hire a recruiting firm and dealing with donors. It'd be a headache, and something that he's said in the past that he just doesn't want to deal with again.

In addition to the friction he's had with the past couple football coaches, I wouldn't be surprised if he threw in the towel.

well, regardless of whether he wants to go through that process or not and whether he retires with bo or not, he's going through that process. it takes much longer to hire an AD than it does to hire a basketball coach. if he wants to retire with bo then they'll be hiring a basketball coach without an ad. as we saw with shaka, that can be problematic. if he wants to avoid the hiring process then he'd need to announce his retirement about now in order to remove himself from the hiring process come next april.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:17:15 PM by WithoutBias »

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 09:40:44 PM »
agreed. Amateur hour.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 11:46:52 PM »
agreed. Amateur hour.

Are you referring to when Marquette was airing the Larry and Bert Show?

Death on call

feedback