[Today at 10:54:04 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: SI names Henry #16 prospect for 2016 NBA draft  (Read 6430 times)

Pakuni

• All American
SI names Henry #16 prospect for 2016 NBA draft
« on: June 29, 2015, 07:52:06 PM »
http://www.si.com/nba/2015/06/29/nba-draft-2016-kentucky-duke-maryland-ben-simmons-diamond-stone-skal-labissiere

16. Henry Ellenson, Marquette
Freshman | 6’9”, 231 pounds | forward
Marquette coach Steve Wojciechowski made waves in October when he landed a commitment from Ellenson. Ellenson, a big man with elite offensive skills for his age, was the No. 4 player in his class, according to Rivals.com. He will instantly become the primary offensive threat for the Golden Eagles, who are only beginning the rebuilding phase.

Diamond Stone checks in at #7. Kris Dunn #9.

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
Re: SI names Henry #16 prospect for 2016 NBA draft
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 07:53:39 AM »
It looks like he might even be the 15th if SI's editors had caught their ranking error. The rankings go 13, 14, 16, 15, 16, 17. Doesn't mean much of anything, but hey 15 is better than 16, aina?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 08:35:12 AM »
Ellenson's 16 > Nigel's 16.

But in all seriousness, Nigel is every bit the player that we loved Jimmy for being, and will be the best pro out of UW in a long long time. If this is how it shakes out, we will have Ellenson for at least two years - I find it hard to believe he will leave if not a projected lottery pick.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:44:16 AM by Probably Ellenson's Coach »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 08:56:05 AM »
Cool that he is so highly touted, but sort of depressing that means if he lives up to expectations, he will be gone after one season  :-\

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:21:16 AM »
I'm predicting Ellenson to be drafted around pick 24, sign a guaranteed 3-year deal worth millions of dollars and this board calling him an idiot for leaving early.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 09:32:26 AM »
I'm predicting Ellenson to be drafted around pick 24, sign a guaranteed 3-year deal worth millions of dollars and this board calling him an idiot for leaving early.

Unlikely.  We only call people idiots when they have no shot of being drafted when they leave early and is predicted to be drafted by EVERY draft rating service if they stick around one more year. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 11:58:25 AM »

But in all seriousness, Nigel is every bit the player that we loved Jimmy for being, and will be the best pro out of UW in a long long time. If this is how it shakes out, we will have Ellenson for at least two years - I find it hard to believe he will leave if not a projected lottery pick.
I am not sure on Nigel. He looks so quick and athletic against other Big 10 players. He does not look so quick and athletic in the later rounds of the NCAA tournament, when he is playing against more athletic players.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 12:08:56 PM »

Absolutely agree. Hayes will be a great player in NBA. The Jimmy comparisons are right on in my opinion.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 12:16:15 PM »
Unlikely.  We only call people idiots when they have no shot of being drafted when they leave early and is predicted to be drafted by EVERY draft rating service if they stick around one more year. 

Agreed.

If Henry is ready to go and will be an NBA first-rounder, God bless and here we add another to MU's long line of NBA players.
SS Marquette

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 12:18:44 PM »
We've never had a 1 and done right?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 12:20:22 PM »

doesn't Maymon count as 1?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 12:21:40 PM »

Niv Berkowitz played for MU for one season before turning pro.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 12:41:40 PM »

Jim Chones was a 1.75 and done. He the closest.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 01:13:18 PM »

Unless you count RJax, Trent Lockett and Matt Carlino. ;)

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 01:17:39 PM »

Who would've been drafted if they stayed? Blue? Mayo? Blue may have been rated early before younger players should promise during the season,  but I doubt he ever was gonna get drafted as a senior with little PG skills.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 01:23:34 PM »
Who would've been drafted if they stayed? Blue? Mayo? Blue may have been rated early before younger players should promise during the season,  but I doubt he ever was gonna get drafted as a senior with little PG skills.

Probably would've depended on if he lead us to a similar run his senior year and if he increased his PPG. No undersized SG is going to get drafter averaging under 15ppg.  DJO was one of the top scorers in the country and barely made it in the draft.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 02:05:49 PM »

Who would've been drafted if they stayed? Blue? Mayo? Blue may have been rated early before younger players should promise during the season,  but I doubt he ever was gonna get drafted as a senior with little PG skills.

We'll never know for sure now...but at the time Blue declared, he was widely projected to be picked in the following year's draft.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 02:07:20 PM »
Probably would've depended on if he lead us to a similar run his senior year and if he increased his PPG. No undersized SG is going to get drafter averaging under 15ppg.  DJO was one of the top scorers in the country and barely made it in the draft.

He carried us to the elite and was big time playmaker for us that year. His stock was the highest it ever was going to be. We weren't gonna be an elite 8 team even with him. Being a year older on a team that most likely wouldn't have advanced very far wouldn't have gotten him drafted. He made a choice of pursuing his dream job and made some money, instead of playing for a year for free against inferior competition. If he didn't like school and had no desire for a degree, he mad the right choice despite what many said here.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 02:09:54 PM »
We'll never know for sure now...but at the time Blue declared, he was widely projected to be picked in the following year's draft.
I guess i don't remember that. I remember seeing him being ranked top 40 prospects for the next draft or something like that. Well, that was before you consider all the young euros and that those rankings usually overrate returning college players due to name recognition. It's an opinion but I don't see how Blue could've raised his stock enough while being a year older on a worst team.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 02:15:53 PM »
He carried us to the elite and was big time playmaker for us that year. His stock was the highest it ever was going to be. We weren't gonna be an elite 8 team even with him. Being a year older on a team that most likely wouldn't have advanced very far wouldn't have gotten him drafted. He made a choice of pursuing his dream job and made some money, instead of playing for a year for free against inferior competition. If he didn't like school and had no desire for a degree, he mad the right choice despite what many said here.

I respectively disagree about the potential of that team. Even with Derrick playing point vander would've helped spread the defense allowing for Jamil and Gardner to be considerably more effective. 

I agree that if wasn't going to get his degree and didn't like it here he made the proper decision. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 02:25:40 PM »

Yes, this.
There's something very wrong people who seem to take glee in Vander - or any other kid - not getting drafted.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 02:28:51 PM »
There's something very wrong people who seem to take glee in Vander - or any other kid - not getting drafted.

I agree.  Do you know any MU fans who take glee in Vander not getting selected?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 03:18:39 PM by GooooMarquette »

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 02:56:58 PM »
I guess i don't remember that. I remember seeing him being ranked top 40 prospects for the next draft or something like that. Well, that was before you consider all the young euros and that those rankings usually overrate returning college players due to name recognition. It's an opinion but I don't see how Blue could've raised his stock enough while being a year older on a worst team.
Got to disagree.  If Blue and Buzz had gotten on the same page in April the right thing to do for both sides would have been to appoint Vander as next years PG with Derrick backing him up.  The team instantly gets 4-5 games better.  Vander would have had the green light all the time so he probably would have scored 20ppg.  Then with Vander a threat to shoot or drive the middle opens up for Devante and Wilson.  Vander could easily of averaged 5 apg.  Neither Wilson or Davante have to lead (a role they were awful at) because Vander provides that.  That team makes the NCAA (and could have won a game or 2).  Vander shows he can play point guard and leads MU (a tourney team even if they lose in the first round) in just about every offensive category.  He would get drafted probably in the first round.  A dumb decision by a guy who simply never wanted to go to school and took the first chance he got to jump regardless of the odds.