'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wade to test free agency.  (Read 6598 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Wade to test free agency.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 05:36:01 PM »
Lots of crazy money going around this off-season.

Add to that a tremendous NBA draft (first round)...Summer League...

It's like the NBA season doesn't even stop (like the NFL season).

I really hope Vander, Dwight, DJO, and Jerel can land somewhere and stick.
Philly needs guards badly!
SS Marquette

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 05:42:21 PM »
Lots of crazy money going around this off-season.

Add to that a tremendous NBA draft (first round)...Summer League...

It's like the NBA season doesn't even stop (like the NFL season).

I really hope Vander, Dwight, DJO, and Jerel can land somewhere and stick.
Philly needs guards badly!

Isn't jerel locked in on Phoenix?
Maigh Eo for Sam

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 09:04:13 AM »
If I were D Wade, I'd sacrifice some $ to go where I have a chance to win the title.  He's 34, with creaky knees.  If I were him I'd think about less money for a lesser role on a championship caliber team, similar to Ray Allen joinging the Heat or Bob McAdoo joining the Lakers way back when. 

Easy for me to say, I suppose, since its hard to leave money on the table, but it seems to me that just cashing a big paycheck to play for a team that is going to miss the playoffs or be an early exit would be a lot less fun, and I'd really want to enjoy my last few seasons.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:19:10 AM »
If I were D Wade, I'd sacrifice some $ to go where I have a chance to win the title.  He's 34, with creaky knees.  If I were him I'd think about less money for a lesser role on a championship caliber team, similar to Ray Allen joinging the Heat or Bob McAdoo joining the Lakers way back when. 

Easy for me to say, I suppose, since its hard to leave money on the table, but it seems to me that just cashing a big paycheck to play for a team that is going to miss the playoffs or be an early exit would be a lot less fun, and I'd really want to enjoy my last few seasons.

It's not like doesn't have any rings.  Maybe with creaky knees, he would prefer to play for a team where he would be done in the Spring.   ;D

Have some patience, FFS.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 09:36:41 AM »

Wade sacrificed nearly $30m over the last five years for the chance to win a title. It worked twice. It's time to get the largest last paycheck he can for playing basketball.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 10:02:26 AM »
Wade sacrificed nearly $30m over the last five years for the chance to win a title. It worked twice. It's time to get the largest last paycheck he can for playing basketball.

I don't know if he will do the same thing as Lebron but I expect a lot of unrestricted FA's to sign 2 year deals with a player option for the 2nd year when the salary cap is projected to jump from 67.1 to 89 million. Max deal and NBA salaries are about to get ridiculous.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 10:25:51 AM »

I certainly see your point of view and completely understand it and that is probably what he will do.  

But he sacrificed that money in the first place for a reason.  Winning is fun.  Losing can be miserable.  Perhaps he'd rather win a lot and look forward to going to the gym every day for $15M/year rather than make a money grab and play for nothing for $20M (or whatever the numbers end up being).  I think I would.  Impossible to say without being in his shoes, though.  Hopefully for his sake he'll get a nice, fat offer from a serious contender and the point will be moot.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:28:25 AM by CTWarrior »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 10:29:41 AM »
I certainly see your point of view and completely understand it and that is probably what he will do. 

But he sacrificed that money in the first place for a reason.  Winning is fun.  Losing can be miserable.  Perhaps he's rather win a lot and look forward to going to the gym every day for $15M/year rather than make a money grab and play for nothing for $20M (or whatever the numbers end up being).  I think I would.  Impossible to say without being in his shoes, though.  Hopefully for his sake he'll get a nice, fat offer from a serious contender and the point will be moot.

I could find many ways to make myself happier with the extra $5M.

And if the fact that your team isn't championship caliber makes you that miserable, even if you personally are playing well, the rest of your team is giving their all, and everything else about your job is great, you care way too much about it.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 10:55:25 AM »
I could find many ways to make myself happier with the extra $5M.

And if the fact that your team isn't championship caliber makes you that miserable, even if you personally are playing well, the rest of your team is giving their all, and everything else about your job is great, you care way too much about it.

Wade 's estimated net worth is north of 100 million. An extra 5 million won't change his life much. As for "caring way too much about playing on a team that's championship caliber", that's what makes great competitors great. My guess is a 4th ring would mean more to Wade than another yacht.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 11:45:56 AM »

Actually the Heat have quite the roster themselves if Wade returns.

Bosh, Dragic, Whiteside, Deng, Winslow.

That team isn't coming close to missing the playoffs unless Bosh gets blood clots again and Whiteside goes in the complete other direction on the improvement scale.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 11:50:09 AM »
Wade 's estimated net worth is north of 100 million. An extra 5 million won't change his life much. As for "caring way too much about playing on a team that's championship caliber", that's what makes great competitors great. My guess is a 4th ring would mean more to Wade than another yacht.

Then why is he worried about his contract at all, then?

CT Warrior's original point was that he was willing to sacrifice millions of dollars to be on a winning team. It sounds to me as if that is not a priority anymore.  I am pretty certain the law of diminishing returns applies in regards to winning championships.  I don't think Phil Jackson was quite as stoked about getting his 11th ring as he was about getting the 1st.  After awhile, you are just throwing them on the pile.

It is also the principle, as far as his negotiations with The Heat are concerned.  Wade literally took one for the team salary-wise.  Now he wants a little something for the effort.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 12:06:45 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 12:02:27 PM »
Then why is he worried about his contract at all, then?

Your original point was that he was willing to sacrifice millions of dollars to be on a winning team.

Uh, actually your reply is to my original post.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 12:06:59 PM »
Uh, actually your reply is to my original post.

Sorry, fixed.
Have some patience, FFS.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 12:44:25 PM »
If any GM signs Wade to a 20M per year contract for more than 2 years, Wade should take it and be thrilled.
If Miami won't do it, after he took pay cuts to get Bosh and James into Miami, then lesson learned on loyalty to the Miami heat.  My guess is Miami will offer a couple of years near 20M and Wade will/should take it.  It is over market value for his services based upon his health.

I just can't see a GM committing to a 4 year deal for Wade, unless it is below 15M a season.  I hope the Bucks don't go after him unless it is a 2 year deal, 3  max if the price is right. 

It is simply painful to watch Wade play since he is in obvious pain and limits his off ball movement a lot until he has to move.  The times he is able to "pick his spots" to perform seem to be on the decline with less and less occasions to turn it on. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 01:04:45 PM »
If any GM signs Wade to a 20M per year contract for more than 2 years, Wade should take it and be thrilled.
If Miami won't do it, after he took pay cuts to get Bosh and James into Miami, then lesson learned on loyalty to the Miami heat.  My guess is Miami will offer a couple of years near 20M and Wade will/should take it.  It is over market value for his services based upon his health.

I just can't see a GM committing to a 4 year deal for Wade, unless it is below 15M a season.  I hope the Bucks don't go after him unless it is a 2 year deal, 3  max if the price is right. 

It is simply painful to watch Wade play since he is in obvious pain and limits his off ball movement a lot until he has to move.  The times he is able to "pick his spots" to perform seem to be on the decline with less and less occasions to turn it on. 

He wants 3 years at 16 mil a year apparently
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 01:21:04 PM »
CT Warrior's original point was that he was willing to sacrifice millions of dollars to be on a winning team. It sounds to me as if that is not a priority anymore.  
My original point is that if I were D Wade I think I'd rather take less money to play for a winner rather than just max out on the contract.  I have no idea what D Wade is thinking. 

It's not just the money.  With the money comes expectations.  Wade cannot play 35+ minutes a night anymore for a full season.  Just seems that a smaller role for a great team makes sense.  That's how I would be thinking about it. 

GOO

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 01:24:29 PM »
Considering that he went through a divorce and given that most of these players end up with money problems, I'm sure getting the most he can in the limited years he has left is his number one priority.  If he is going to continue to do damage to his body, probably to the point where he can barely walk in his 40's without new knees, he probably wants to get compensated for it.  That would be my guess.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 01:28:45 PM »
Considering that he went through a divorce and given that most of these players end up with money problems, I'm sure getting the most he can in the limited years he has left is his number one priority.  If he is going to continue to do damage to his body, probably to the point where he can barely walk in his 40's without new knees, he probably wants to get compensated for it.  That would be my guess.

You're probably right, but if he is going to end up having money problems retiring with $120M in the bank, he would probably end up with money problems if retired with $140M in the bank, too. 

GOO

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 01:39:19 PM »
That is probably so, but no one knows what he is really worth.  If that amount is 50M or less, then being able to bank some extra money could make a big difference. 

His future cash flow probably shows a lot of red with the black diminishing even with a decent rate of return on 50M.  He may be planning to pay for 50 years of an extravagant lifestyle post basketball for himself and probably other family members and kids, etc.   Net Jets, 2 or 3 very nice homes, staff, multiple nice cars at each home, parties, etc, etc. 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 02:24:28 PM »
I missed my calling as a financial adviser to uber-rich athletes. Put $10 million in a 30 year T-Bill at 3%; it'll be worth $24 million upon maturity.  Then find a couple low cost mutual funds (one total stock market and one total bond market) and you're good to go.

uncle zeffy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 02:31:49 PM »
I missed my calling as a financial adviser to uber-rich athletes. Put $10 million in a 30 year T-Bill at 3%; it'll be worth $24 million upon maturity.  Then find a couple low cost mutual funds (one total stock market and one total bond market) and you're good to go.

oh yeah... well I would invest half of it in low risk mutual funds and then take the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities...

GOO

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 02:35:05 PM »
I missed my calling as a financial adviser to uber-rich athletes. Put $10 million in a 30 year T-Bill at 3%; it'll be worth $24 million upon maturity.  Then find a couple low cost mutual funds (one total stock market and one total bond market) and you're good to go.
And then they call and demand 5M right away for a new investment in a buddies business and for more money for X, Y, and Z, oh and another house deal.  

And you say yes even though you advise against it, because it is their money. But your investment choices better be liquid enough, or you get fired and replaced by a new guy who can totally get them 15% and has all kinds of great ideas  :-[  Most of these guys have plenty of legit financial people available, but in the end it is their money.

Hopefully Wade has a lot more sense than most. Given he is taking Harvard continuing ed classes, i suspect he does.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:36:57 PM by GOO »