[Today at 04:32:41 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bo Retiring  (Read 89662 times)

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Re: Bo Retiring
« Reply #300 on: July 07, 2015, 11:01:17 AM »
Not sure where Duke's revenue comes from, but I know a lot of our's comes from the 14,000 to 18,000 people who buy tickets on a regular basis for our games/

I presume it comes from the money trees on campus, right?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #301 on: July 07, 2015, 11:33:10 AM »
I presume it comes from the money trees on campus, right?

You can bet the revenue model is slightly different when one school is named after a tobacco tycoon and the other after a Jesuit priest.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:36:25 AM by Bleuteaux »

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #302 on: July 07, 2015, 12:06:38 PM »
You can bet the revenue model is slightly different when one school is named after a tobacco tycoon and the other after a Jesuit priest.
Ours is primarily fur-based
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #303 on: July 09, 2015, 04:45:20 PM »

"Rowan, who continues to take classes toward reclassifying into 2015, recently said he was down to St. John’s, Wisconsin and North Carolina State. But Bo Ryan’s imminent retirement appears to have pushed the Badgers out of the mix."

Interesting.
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #304 on: July 12, 2015, 12:11:15 PM »
Ours is primarily fur-based

Marquette is in trouble. There isn't much fur around these days

Death on call

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #305 on: July 13, 2015, 11:29:34 AM »
Marquette is in trouble. There isn't much fur around these days

Great... another thing Chicos can blame on the women's lib movement.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #306 on: July 13, 2015, 12:32:19 PM »
Someone actually complainin' 'bout this, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #307 on: August 13, 2015, 01:15:51 AM »
I still say he isn't retiring next year....people jumping the gun.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"

Death on call

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #309 on: August 13, 2015, 06:24:38 AM »

Well, people were jumping the gun because he said he was retiring next year. Been hearing for awhile now that he would be back beyond next year. He may be spinning it otherwise, but it's all power struggle between Barry and Bo over whether Gard gets the job when Bo steps down.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #310 on: August 13, 2015, 07:46:25 AM »

What people? Do you mean Bo himself? Wasn't he the one who said he was retiring in a year and now having second thoughts? I guess maybe he jumped the gun.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #311 on: August 13, 2015, 07:46:56 AM »
Love it - let him come back - let it drag out - who cares - if there really is some sort of issue brewing here all the better - reduces the chance of success for the next coach whoever it is - I can see why a retiring coach wants a part in picking his successor, it probably makes the last years of recruiting easier/palatable when there's a succession plan you can intimate to recruits- but the bottom line is Bo doesn't get paid to hire head coaches - however, there's that sticky thing about precedent with Barry - tough spot for the program -

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #312 on: August 13, 2015, 08:17:03 AM »
Love it - let him come back - let it drag out - who cares - if there really is some sort of issue brewing here all the better - reduces the chance of success for the next coach whoever it is - I can see why a retiring coach wants a part in picking his successor, it probably makes the last years of recruiting easier/palatable when there's a succession plan you can intimate to recruits- but the bottom line is Bo doesn't get paid to hire head coaches - however, there's that sticky thing about precedent with Barry - tough spot for the program -

For me, this is why Bo saying the whole "one more year" thing was bad for Wisconsin basketball. It hamstrung them with the 2016 class because players have no idea who they'll be playing for. They couldn't recruit under the auspices of Gard being the head man because Barry so publicly rebutted that option.

Bo saying he'll coach longer is completely a recruiting ploy. "Sure Joey, I'll put off retirement for you." At the same time, he wants Gard to get the job, so he probably figures maybe if he keeps at it for another year or two he'll outlast Barry and sell the new guy on Gard.

Either way, this will make negative recruiting against Wisconsin very easy. "Come to Eastwestern State, at least here you know who your coach will be." Bo should have just sacked up and retired when he wanted to. Wisconsin basketball would be better off for it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #313 on: August 13, 2015, 08:26:27 AM »
If Bo is interested in getting Gard the job, he should have just retired back in June.  They would have had no choice but to hire him as at least as interim.  But no AD is going to just give Gard the job.  (Unless they name Bo AD.)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #314 on: August 13, 2015, 08:37:33 AM »
If Bo is interested in getting Gard the job, he should have just retired back in June.  They would have had no choice but to hire him as at least as interim.  But no AD is going to just give Gard the job.  (Unless they name Bo AD.)

From what I heard, this is what Bo tried to do (force their hand), and Barry said Gard would be hired as the interim coach for a year and then they would throw the kitchen sink at Bennett.  I think that would've been awesome, as I don't see Bennett leaving.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #315 on: August 13, 2015, 08:41:19 AM »
I'm hearing that this isn't really a "power struggle" either.  Barry doesn't care if Bo sticks around.  He doesn't want to be in the middle of a Gard v. others thing.  Barry just knows he can't give the job to Gard like he gave his job to Beilema.  He got his hand slapped very hard after that move, and this chancellor is likely not to be as forgiving as the one who was in charge at the time.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #316 on: August 13, 2015, 08:46:11 AM »
From what I heard, this is what Bo tried to do (force their hand), and Barry said Gard would be hired as the interim coach for a year and then they would throw the kitchen sink at Bennett.  I think that would've been awesome, as I don't see Bennett leaving.

I'm not sure it's so much Bennett leaving that I don't see, but rather him coming to Wisconsin. They torched that bridge when Dick was nudged out.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #317 on: August 13, 2015, 09:10:44 AM »
I'm not sure it's so much Bennett leaving that I don't see, but rather him coming to Wisconsin. They torched that bridge when Dick was nudged out.

I suppose that's true.  But I think Bennett is very, very comfortable/happy where he is.  And it's not hard to imagine why.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #318 on: August 13, 2015, 09:15:43 AM »
For me, this is why Bo saying the whole "one more year" thing was bad for Wisconsin basketball. It hamstrung them with the 2016 class because players have no idea who they'll be playing for. They couldn't recruit under the auspices of Gard being the head man because Barry so publicly rebutted that option.

Bo saying he'll coach longer is completely a recruiting ploy. "Sure Joey, I'll put off retirement for you." At the same time, he wants Gard to get the job, so he probably figures maybe if he keeps at it for another year or two he'll outlast Barry and sell the new guy on Gard.

Either way, this will make negative recruiting against Wisconsin very easy. "Come to Eastwestern State, at least here you know who your coach will be." Bo should have just sacked up and retired when he wanted to. Wisconsin basketball would be better off for it.

Winner, winner... chicken dinner.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #319 on: August 13, 2015, 09:22:27 AM »
I'm hearing that this isn't really a "power struggle" either.  Barry doesn't care if Bo sticks around.  He doesn't want to be in the middle of a Gard v. others thing.  Barry just knows he can't give the job to Gard like he gave his job to Beilema.  He got his hand slapped very hard after that move, and this chancellor is likely not to be as forgiving as the one who was in charge at the time.

Let's be clear... the reluctance in "giving the job" to Gard because of Beilema has nothing to do with Beilema's character or departure.

Such is why Jeter will be interviewed, even though Gard will ultimately get the job.  It's a pity, really.... Jeter could be a much better coach than Gard will ever be if not for the fact that he's stuck at a dash school.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #320 on: August 13, 2015, 09:29:46 AM »
Let's be clear... the reluctance in "giving the job" to Gard because of Beilema has nothing to do with Beilema's character or departure.

Exactly.  It was because he didn't conduct a search according to UW System guidelines.  That is why Barry had to go through the hoops when they hired both Andersen and Chryst. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #321 on: August 13, 2015, 10:06:58 AM »
I've heard stories (from WI alums) that Bo wants Barry's job and Barry might be the 1st to retire but possibly not until he turns 70 in 2 years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #322 on: August 13, 2015, 10:11:10 AM »
I would be extremely surprised if UW hires Bo as athletic director.  He's less than a year younger than Barry.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #324 on: August 13, 2015, 01:14:37 PM »

Such is why Jeter will be interviewed, even though Gard will ultimately get the job.  It's a pity, really.... Jeter could be a much better coach than Gard will ever be if not for the fact that he's stuck at a dash school.

Nothing against Jeter, but I don't think that's the reason, and I don't think he'd be popular at all at Wisconsin. They have a culture ingrained against transfers, which has become a staple of his program, including JUCOs like James Eayrs, Tone Boyle, Kaylon Williams, Paris Gulley, Jordan Aaron, and Trinson White. He has also never been able to build consistent success at UWM. Two NCAA bids (one with Pearl's players) in 10 years, 4 losing seasons, and has never put together back-to-back 20-win seasons.

That's not because he's at a hyphen school. You can win in the Horizon. Pearl won with Milwaukee, Wardle won with Green Bay, Stevens with Butler, Drew (all of them) with Valpo, it can definitely be done. Now none of that means Gard won't be successful at Wisconsin or wherever, but if Jeter was high-major caliber, I'd think he'd be showing it by now.

feedback