'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bo Retiring  (Read 88841 times)

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
Re: Bo Retiring
« Reply #225 on: July 02, 2015, 10:13:35 AM »
You can pat yourself on the back and tell yourself you're a good boy.  ::)
thanks; don't need any permission to boost my own ego
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #226 on: July 02, 2015, 10:16:19 AM »
thanks; don't need any permission to boost my own ego

Clearly.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

• All American
« Reply #227 on: July 02, 2015, 10:19:03 AM »
LOL

I didn't call it irrelevant, I said there were numerous more important factors, all of which you preferred to ignore. I explained why recruiting rankings were a flawed metric, you abandoned them, but seem to only want to include them if they favor Marquette and ignore them if they are actually analyzed objectively.

You must be dizzy by now from all this talking in circles you're doing.  ;D
Jesus, man: from your own post:

1) Salary - You conceded salary was an edge to MU (MU 1, UW, 0)
2) Resources - You conceded "sure," and MU spends more on BBall (MU 2, UW 0)
3) NBA - You conceded MU wins here, I'm happy to include, per your request (MU 3, UW 0)
4) Recruiting - You said "Even" I disagree but at this point the argument is won. Awarding both teams a point, gives us (MU 4 UW 1)

What revision of argument are you looking for here? In the areas we agree, MU is the clear winner.

This is already a pretty big waste of time without arguing for points I've already proven.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #228 on: July 02, 2015, 10:25:41 AM »

Yeah.  I mean God forbid people debate something actually on topic - providing opinions and basis for those opinions. 

I'm sure you could have an excellent debate on the merits of outhouses vs. indoor plumbing, but the bottom line is that it's still a sh\tty topic to be discussing.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #229 on: July 02, 2015, 10:26:38 AM »
1 & 2) Money isn't an issue for Wisconsin. They haven't spent more because they haven't had to. But they undoubtedly have deeper pockets than we do.
3) NBA. We have more. Care to address all those other factors I brought up, like NCAA wins, Final Fours, conference regular season/tourney titles, and actual on-court college production? Or is that inconvenient because it doesn't favor Marquette?
4) Facilities Nice job ignoring this one...though that seems to be your tendency when you can't win a point.
5) Recruiting. We win the star rankings, they win the production rankings. Again, which would you rather have?

• All American
« Reply #230 on: July 02, 2015, 10:27:37 AM »
Jesus, man: from your own post:

1) Salary - You conceded salary was an edge to MU (MU 1, UW, 0)
2) Resources - You conceded "sure," and MU spends more on BBall (MU 2, UW 0)
3) NBA - You conceded MU wins here, I'm happy to include, per your request (MU 3, UW 0)
4) Recruiting - You said "Even" I disagree but at this point the argument is won. Awarding both teams a point, gives us (MU 4 UW 1)

What revision of argument are you looking for here? In the areas we agree, MU is the clear winner.

This is already a pretty big waste of time without arguing for points I've already proven.
So the unofficial tally:

Salary: MU
Resources: MU
NBA: MU
Recruiting: I'll concede a wash here, even though I disagree
Facilities: This is clearly MU as well, but even if we give this to UW, it doesn't matter at this point
Conference: I'll remind you of a point you won here; B10>BEast Point UW

Total: MU: 3, UW 2 - and this is giving UW every benefit of the doubt.

Marquette's job is more attractive than the UW job to a new candidate

• All American
« Reply #231 on: July 02, 2015, 10:29:46 AM »
1 & 2) Money isn't an issue for Wisconsin. They haven't spent more because they haven't had to. But they undoubtedly have deeper pockets than we do.
3) NBA. We have more. Care to address all those other factors I brought up, like NCAA wins, Final Fours, conference regular season/tourney titles, and actual on-court college production? Or is that inconvenient because it doesn't favor Marquette?
4) Facilities Nice job ignoring this one...though that seems to be your tendency when you can't win a point.
5) Recruiting. We win the star rankings, they win the production rankings. Again, which would you rather have?

With regard to NCAA Wins, Final Fours, etc, I don't think that impacts a job's attractiveness. Just the same way that out three straight sweet sixteens didnt really help Wojo in year 1. How far back do you go here? Do you factor in tradition? The decade of the 1970s? Or do you just compare the last two years?

• All American
« Reply #232 on: July 02, 2015, 10:31:25 AM »

I think you could actually make the case that recent success in some cases could be a negative. Buzz's stated reason for leaving (if you believe it) was that he wasn't sure he could maintain that level of success "Elite Eights." VaTech was an attractive job for him in part because of the lack of success.... long leash.

Whoever coaches next at UW will be compared with Bo, a HOF coach.

Applying this to the business world, Tim Cook has done an awesome job, but continues to be compared to Steve Jobs. Jeff Immelt succeeded Jack Welch, and is still compared with his success.

Both CEOs are doing well because of their execution and the healthy businesses they were left, but in either case, their legendary predecessor is a drag on their evaluations.

Could be the same case with Bo, Izzo, etc
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:33:50 AM by Grayson Allen »

• All American
« Reply #233 on: July 02, 2015, 10:34:55 AM »
Dude. I conceded facilities even though I disagree. You'd like to continuing fighting on that one? What are you hoping to accomplish?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #234 on: July 02, 2015, 10:37:19 AM »
With regard to NCAA Wins, Final Fours, etc, I don't think that impacts a job's attractiveness.

...though actually, you did that to yourself.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #235 on: July 02, 2015, 10:38:04 AM »
I officially declare this a Scoop Gang Bang
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #236 on: July 02, 2015, 10:39:10 AM »
Dude. I conceded facilities even though I disagree. You'd like to continuing fighting on that one? What are you hoping to accomplish?

You tally a bunch of points to prove that "you won". Then you leave out the points that "you lost". And ignore points I brought up that you also lost. Not sure you understand how this whole "scoring system" thing you're trying to institute works...

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #237 on: July 02, 2015, 10:45:46 AM »
So when UW wins a point, it's because of bias (despite me being anti-UW), and we'll only include the points Marquette wins in your scoring system, because that's objective? Hmm...I'm not sure you understand how the Internet works.

EDIT: Thanks, mods.

• All American
« Reply #238 on: July 02, 2015, 10:49:53 AM »
So when UW wins a point, it's because of bias (despite me being anti-UW), and we'll only include the points Marquette wins in your scoring system, because that's objective? Hmm...I'm not sure you understand how the Internet works.

EDIT: Thanks, mods.
Your logic skills are on full display, particularly in ignoring that I included points for UW, regardless of whether I disagreed with them. What is the problem you have with that?

To review

Salary: Point MU
Resources: Point MU
NBA: Point MU
Recruiting: Wash
Facilities: Point UW
Conference: Point UW

Thus: MU: 3, UW: 2

• All American
« Reply #239 on: July 02, 2015, 10:50:42 AM »
Hmm...I'm not sure you understand how the Internet works.
Huh?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #240 on: July 02, 2015, 10:52:07 AM »
Jeebus already! get a room!

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #241 on: July 02, 2015, 10:58:23 AM »
I officially declare this a Scoop Gang Bang
isn't it more of a sex show?  two people going at it so hard that they ignore all the background noise and commentary on their work. 

with the frequency and focus it's down right artistic (like a sex show)

• All American
« Reply #242 on: July 02, 2015, 10:59:25 AM »
isn't it more of a sex show?  two people going at it so hard that they ignore all the background noise and commentary on their work.  

with the frequency and focus it's down right artistic (like a sex show)
I can't believe we're making love!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #243 on: July 02, 2015, 11:01:04 AM »
Your logic skills are on full display, particularly in ignoring that I included points for UW, regardless of whether I disagreed with them. What is the problem you have with that?

To review

Well, as you changed your score from 4-1 to 3-2 without including things like conference titles, final four appearances, and ignoring UW's ability to spend, nothing.

I WANT Marquette to be tops in all of these. I want us to be among the elite. I want a new arena, sports medicine institute, better housing, and more titles. But in recent history, the reality is Madison is coming out ahead.

If Wojo can start winning the Big East, making deep tourney runs, and we get the needed facility upgrades, I'm confident we have the ability to come out ahead on all fronts. 5 years ago we were clearly ahead. Poor recruiting and upgrades in Madison have changed that since then. But until those things happen, and until UW falls off from where they're at (seems likely, but hasn't happened yet), claiming a decisive victory in the face of overwhelming contrary evidence is premature.

• All American
« Reply #244 on: July 02, 2015, 11:03:21 AM »
Well, as you changed your score from 4-1 to 3-2 without including things like conference titles, final four appearances, and ignoring UW's ability to spend, nothing.

I WANT Marquette to be tops in all of these. I want us to be among the elite. I want a new arena, sports medicine institute, better housing, and more titles. But in recent history, the reality is Madison is coming out ahead.

If Wojo can start winning the Big East, making deep tourney runs, and we get the needed facility upgrades, I'm confident we have the ability to come out ahead on all fronts. 5 years ago we were clearly ahead. Poor recruiting and upgrades in Madison have changed that since then. But until those things happen, and until UW falls off from where they're at (seems likely, but hasn't happened yet), claiming a decisive victory in the face of overwhelming contrary evidence is premature.
I guess I'll let you have the last word.

naginiF - Your familiarity with sex shows is throwing shade in a lot of directions.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #245 on: July 02, 2015, 11:43:01 AM »
I guess I'll let you have the last word.

naginiF - Your familiarity with sex shows is throwing shade in a lot of directions.
I was just trying to stay within the milieu that was established with gang bang.

I did enjoy the debate though.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #246 on: July 02, 2015, 04:03:01 PM »
apparently Barry Alvarez wasn't pleased by Bo's timing
http://host.madison.com/sports/college/basketball/men/badgers-men-s-basketball-bo-ryan-s-decision-to-retire/article_d724a6a9-d003-5f85-9f57-4d8f36d037c3.html

When he sat down for an end-of-the-season chat with University of Wisconsin men’s basketball coach Bo Ryan this spring, athletic director Barry Alvarez wasn’t prepared for a bombshell. Ryan, who had just led the Badgers to a program-record 36 victories and a trip to the NCAA tournament title game, where UW lost to Duke, informed Alvarez that he was strongly considering retirement.

“I had no indication that conversation would take place,” Alvarez said. Alvarez, who had stepped away from coaching the UW football team following the 2005 season, encouraged Ryan to take some time to think about it to avoid making a decision he’d later regret. Ryan did so and ultimately decided to coach one more season, an announcement he made on Monday.

Ryan is 67, one year younger than Alvarez. In May of 2014, a month after Ryan had led the Badgers to their first of back-to-back trips to the Final Four, Alvarez said during an interview with the State Journal that he had told Ryan “that I don’t want to hire another (men’s) basketball coach.”

Alvarez was asked Wednesday if he realistically thought his career would end without having to search for Ryan’s replacement.

“I always felt Bo enjoyed coaching so much, that it was such a big part of his life, that he would do it until physically he couldn’t do it, until he just couldn’t keep the pace that he wanted,” Alvarez said. “I just thought that was a ways away.”

Ryan requested a scenario in which he would retire and the job would be handed to Badgers associate head coach Greg Gard, but Alvarez said he “wasn’t ready to do that. So that’s when he decided he could go one more year.”

Alvarez respects Gard, who has been an assistant under Ryan for 22 seasons, but Alvarez has his reasons for expanding the search.

“I think Greg’s an excellent coach and he’ll have an opportunity to interview for the job,” Alvarez said. “But I think I owe it to the university and the Athletic Department and the fans and everyone else to see who’s out there and hire the best person available, whoever that might be.

“And it might be Greg, I don’t know. But I feel an obligation that I have to do that. Our program is far enough along that I have to take a good look and find the right person.”

Alvarez admitted it’s not easy to evaluate someone without head coaching experience. That’s one major item missing from Gard’s otherwise impressive resume.

There’s no question Ryan has added responsibilities to Gard’s plate over the years to prepare him for a head coaching gig, whether at UW or somewhere else. But there’s nothing quite like sitting in the main chair, Alvarez says.

“It is a challenge, because every person that moves from that position — and I did it — you’re in that job for two weeks and the first thing you hear is, ‘You didn’t tell me about all this stuff. You never prepared me for any of this,’ ” said Alvarez, who didn’t have any head coaching experience at the college level when he was hired by then-UW athletic director Pat Richter to take over the football program following the 1989 season.

“Everybody thinks they can make the move, but you’ve never been in a position where the buck stops here and that final decision is yours and you’re responsible for everybody and everything that’s done with the program. You’re always going to have some things come up — there are always going to be curveballs and some things you have to deal with that you haven’t been prepared for.”

Alvarez said he’s already heard from coaches interested in the UW job and will be prepared to start the interview process once the job is posted following the completion of next season. I was told the job has already been posted

He calls it a “great job” and notes that Ryan, who has produced a .717 winning percentage in Big Ten Conference regular-season play and has led UW to the NCAA tournament in each of his 14 seasons, has set a standard for consistency during his amazing run.

The program’s profile has never been higher, with the most recent Final Four run including victories over a trio of college basketball’s bluebloods — North Carolina, Arizona and Kentucky — before the loss to Duke.

“You have a world-class university, a great city and campus to recruit to,” Alvarez said. “So everything’s here. I think we’ll have some excellent candidates.”

Alvarez has hired three football coaches while trying not to stray too far from the formula that helped him turn an afterthought program into a Big Ten powerhouse: His first two hires, Bret Bielema and Gary Andersen, were defensive-minded coaches. His most recent hire, Paul Chryst, has expertise on the offensive side of the ball but is a Wisconsin native with a vast working knowledge of the program, having spent time at UW as a player and assistant coach.

Does Alvarez intend to follow a similar plan for hiring Ryan’s replacement? Not necessarily.

“You’re talking about different (scholarship) numbers, you’re talking apples and oranges,” Alvarez said. “I don’t think you have to coach the way Bo coaches to win here.

“It’s about somebody that has a system and somebody that can recruit. That’s the important thing. Somebody who can coach and flat-out get players.”

Read more: http://host.madison.com/sports/college/basketball/men/badgers-men-s-basketball-bo-ryan-s-decision-to-retire/article_d724a6a9-d003-5f85-9f57-4d8f36d037c3.html#ixzz3elo9Z2Az

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #247 on: July 03, 2015, 07:03:26 AM »

To review

How the hell does Marquette have more "resources" than Wisconsin in your metric?  That is absolutely not the case.

And the salary thing has been shown to be a wash.  Both jobs will pay good coaches top money.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #248 on: July 03, 2015, 07:04:39 AM »

Alvarez said he’s already heard from coaches interested in the UW job and will be prepared to start the interview process once the job is posted following the completion of next season. I was told the job has already been posted

It's not currently posted.  Nor will it be because no one is going to apply for it now.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #249 on: July 03, 2015, 10:32:09 AM »

To review

I don't understand the ignorance on salary and negotiation on this board.  Not singling out this person because others have concluded MU > UW in terms of salary.

Do any of you actually consider the one-on-one salary negotiations before making these broad-brushed statements?

Just considering MU's situation, we would have paid far more if we could have landed Shaka.  We would have paid far less had we had to settle for promoting Issac Chew. The salary isn't a function of the program--its a function of what the other guy at the table wants (and can command) in a negotiation.  We don't care less about the program because we paid less to Wojo than we would have for Shaka. 

Don't like that comparison?  How about this: we paid far less for Buzz his first year than we would have been willing to pay for Bennett or Miller. Again, its not a sign that MU cares less about its program--its the reality of the negotiation process.

If UW falls in love with a guy and he wants $3.5 million, UW will give him $3.5 million, which would according to the logic of some on this board be evidence that they suddenly care more about their program.  That's stupid.