[Today at 10:43:30 AM]

NCSTATE is evil by tower912
[Today at 10:37:58 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bo Retiring  (Read 88849 times)

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
Re: Bo Retiring
« Reply #175 on: July 01, 2015, 05:24:22 PM »
Could not agree more with BrewCity.

Look at the last two seasons.  We are going to brag about NBA $$$?

I have no doubt their time is close to an end, but use a proper measuring stick. Over a 10/15/20 year period they have been better no matter how you measure it. Historically, long term we are better.  But in 20+ years we have gone farther in the Dance only 2 times.

The future is so bright... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
a two year downturn doesn't equate to a significant dive in program quality, just as UW's two years of FFs doesn't make them a Blue Blood.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

• All American
« Reply #176 on: July 01, 2015, 05:27:08 PM »
I'd suggest that is about the dumbest way to sort the strongest to weakest basketball programs I've ever heard. Program strength isn't based on what players do after they leave the program. How moronic is that? It's based on what the program does as a program. Factors that would all trump number of alums would be...

1) National titles
2) Final Fours
3) NCAA tourney appearances
4) NCAA tourney wins
5) Conference titles
6) Conference tourney titles
7) Head-to-head records
8) NCAA winning percentage
9) Number of 20+ or 25+ win seasons
10) Anything else that relates to actual PROGRAM PERFORMANCE

By the logic you are presenting, schools like LSU (1 Final Four in the past 20 years), USC (1 Elite 8 in the past 20 years), Wake Forest (1 Elite 8 in the past 20 years), Colorado (2 NCAA wins in the past 20 years), and New Mexico (4 NCAA wins in the past 20 years) are stronger programs than Wisconsin? The same Wisconsin with 3 Final Fours and 29 NCAA wins in the past 20 years?

Give me a break. The only schools that place more value on who they put on NBA rosters than actual on-court performance are schools that are losers on the court. Please do not put Marquette in that category by making such a stupid, inane argument.
its not perfect in every instance, but it is absolutely the best measurement for current status of a program. Not all-time accomplishments (too much weight on the distant past) and not weighting current seasons too much (in UW's case these last two years are outliers).

I can't talk you out of your intense love for Bucky, but I'd say your team is way underperforming in terms of NBA successes with such a dominant program.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #177 on: July 01, 2015, 05:41:38 PM »
So, Bo's next gig is gonna be ridin' a dildo, ai na?

What BS.  There's nothing to indicate that Bo and Crean have that kind of a relationship... yet.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #178 on: July 01, 2015, 05:42:17 PM »
its not perfect in every instance, but it is absolutely the best measurement for current status of a program. Not all-time accomplishments (too much weight on the distant past) and not weighting current seasons too much (in UW's case these last two years are outliers).

I can't talk you out of your intense love for Bucky, but I'd say your team is way underperforming in terms of NBA successes with such a dominant program.

First of all, you don't know me. I have no love for Bucky. I hate them with every fiber of my being. I have been an active member on numerous Marquette sites, written for numerous Marquette blogs, been a season ticket holder ever since I've been able to afford it, graduated from Marquette, and absolutely, without a doubt bleed Marquette blue and gold. Anyone who has spent any time on these boards can tell you my team is Marquette. If my fandom for Marquette has any flaw at all, it's that I'm overly optimistic and put a happier shine on the MU program than just about anyone out there. So you can stuff that "intense love of Bucky" right up your ass.

However I'm not so blinded by that love that I can't acknowledge Wisconsin has been at worst one of the top-10 programs of the past 20 years. Bo may be the Grinch, but he's a damn savvy Grinch that has done an amazing job recruiting guys that fit his system and found ways to win more consistently over his career than anyone outside of Duke, Kansas, and MSU. They have had an excellent program and anyone saying otherwise is absolutely, positively clueless about college basketball.

Again, prioritizing NBA success over actual winning is for losers. I would trade every minute Dwyane Wade has played in the NBA for 2 more wins in 2003. I would happily given up all the NBA opportunities for Wes, Lazar, and Jerel if only Dom could have stayed healthy in 2009 and found a way to get our top-10 team a Final Four and national title.

NBA accolades are nice. I like to see our guys succeed after they leave. But I'm a fan of Marquette, not the NBA as a league. I could give a rat's ass who wins the NBA title, who is the MVP, or how much money those guys are earning. As long as they are happy and supporting their families, it is irrelevant if they are in the NBA, the D-League, playing in Europe, or running a balloon shop in Atlanta.

On the other hand, I do care IMMENSELY about how Marquette does on the court. I care about Marquette winning the Big East, winning games in the NCAAs, getting back the national title, and putting kids on the All-American teams. I personally would rather see a Marquette player win one national title and be named to the All-American team once than see that same player win 5 NBA titles and be a 10-time All-Star. Why? BECAUSE I CARE ABOUT MARQUETTE!

If you want to place all your value on the NBA, have fun with that. Then you can bask in the glory with amazing programs like Wake Forest and USC. Loser programs that have loser mentalities that Marquette should absolutely not be associated with. Give me Marquette winning over former players NBA paychecks any day of the week. Because to a MARQUETTE FAN, the former should matter WAY MORE than the latter.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

• All American
« Reply #179 on: July 01, 2015, 05:56:08 PM »
First of all, you don't know me. I have no love for Bucky. I hate them with every fiber of my being. I have been an active member on numerous Marquette sites, written for numerous Marquette blogs, been a season ticket holder ever since I've been able to afford it, graduated from Marquette, and absolutely, without a doubt bleed Marquette blue and gold. Anyone who has spent any time on these boards can tell you my team is Marquette. If my fandom for Marquette has any flaw at all, it's that I'm overly optimistic and put a happier shine on the MU program than just about anyone out there. So you can stuff that "intense love of Bucky" right up your ass.

However I'm not so blinded by that love that I can't acknowledge Wisconsin has been at worst one of the top-10 programs of the past 20 years. Bo may be the Grinch, but he's a damn savvy Grinch that has done an amazing job recruiting guys that fit his system and found ways to win more consistently over his career than anyone outside of Duke, Kansas, and MSU. They have had an excellent program and anyone saying otherwise is absolutely, positively clueless about college basketball.

Again, prioritizing NBA success over actual winning is for losers. I would trade every minute Dwyane Wade has played in the NBA for 2 more wins in 2003. I would happily given up all the NBA opportunities for Wes, Lazar, and Jerel if only Dom could have stayed healthy in 2009 and found a way to get our top-10 team a Final Four and national title.

NBA accolades are nice. I like to see our guys succeed after they leave. But I'm a fan of Marquette, not the NBA as a league. I could give a rat's ass who wins the NBA title, who is the MVP, or how much money those guys are earning. As long as they are happy and supporting their families, it is irrelevant if they are in the NBA, the D-League, playing in Europe, or running a balloon shop in Atlanta.

On the other hand, I do care IMMENSELY about how Marquette does on the court. I care about Marquette winning the Big East, winning games in the NCAAs, getting back the national title, and putting kids on the All-American teams. I personally would rather see a Marquette player win one national title and be named to the All-American team once than see that same player win 5 NBA titles and be a 10-time All-Star. Why? BECAUSE I CARE ABOUT MARQUETTE!

If you want to place all your value on the NBA, have fun with that. Then you can bask in the glory with amazing programs like Wake Forest and USC. Loser programs that have loser mentalities that Marquette should absolutely not be associated with. Give me Marquette winning over former players NBA paychecks any day of the week. Because to a MARQUETTE FAN, the former should matter WAY MORE than the latter.
1) The topic I was addressing with the NBA measure was an attempt to capture the attractiveness of a job to a coaching candidate. I stand by the method to roughly get that right. Bo is a great coach but that doesn't mean the program is the most attractive job once he leaves

2) Wisconsin is absolutely not a top ten program over the past ten years. I'll give you ten better: 1) Duke, 2) Connecticut, 3) Louisville, 4) Kentucky, 5) North Carolina, 6) Kansas, and 7) Florida all won National Championships. 8) Michigan State went to four Final Fours. 9) Butler went to back-to-back NC games. 10) UCLA went back-to-back-to-back Final Fours.

Edit: Just realized that you said TWENTY years. That gives me even more programs who have won a national championship (12 total), which automatically puts them ahead of anything UW has accomplished. None of these teams turned in anything close to the 13-14 gem the '94-'95 Badgers turned in. This record, by the way, is representative of their entire mediocre history. Your top-ten statement is ludicrous.

I'm not saying you aren't an MU fan as well, but I don't know how you put so much weight on UW like they are a force of nature. Bo Ryan is a hall of fame coach. HE is spectacular. Even with him at the helm, the last two years were a complete outlier, and won't happen again at UW. Now that Bo is gone, and there are no more Bo-type coaches, there is little else to point to support them maintaining aything close to the success he enjoyed even before the FF runs.

Wild guess: you grew up in the state of Wisconsin? I did not. While I probably hold a fondness for Michigan teams, being from there, I'm not going to flip out if someone suggests the Lions aren't a top organization. There is nothing wrong with the UW, but the superlatives used to describe the University are baffling and ridiculous, even to a guy who grew up among obnoxious ND and Michigan alums.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:16:26 PM by Grayson Allen »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2015, 06:15:47 PM »
1) The topic I was addressing with the NBA measure was an attempt to capture the attractiveness of a job to a coaching candidate. I stand by the method to roughly get that right. Bo is a great coach but that doesn't mean the program is the most attractive job once he leaves

It will still be an attractive job. They play in a major conference (sadly bigger than ours) and have plenty of money as well as elite facilities and a great athletic dorm. Don't let your hate of UW blind you to how much potential the program has. Bo laid the foundation, and as long as a coach has the belief he can recruit, it can be a great job. It isn't Duke, Kansas, UNC, or Kentucky, but it's in that next tier of 10-15 jobs. I would say Marquette is in that tier as well.

2) Wisconsin is absolutely not a top ten program over the past ten years. I'll give you ten better: 1) Duke, 2) Connecticut, 3) Louisville, 4) Kentucky, 5) North Carolina, 6) Kansas, and 7) Florida all won National Championships. 8) Michigan State went to four Final Fours. 9) Butler went to back-to-back NC games. 10) UCLA went back-to-back-to-back Final Fours.

First, I said 20, not ten. UW has been to the Final Four with two different coaches (even if the Bennett Final Four was even more an outlier). But 17 straight years in the tournament, 14 years in the top-4 of a high-major conference, and 3 Final Fours is huge. I'm sentimental toward Butler, but to indicate they have had more success than UW over the past 2 decades is ridiculous. I'd give you the top-8. After that, it's UW and UCLA, sadly. They're pretty much dead even at 9.

I'm not saying you aren't an MU fan as well, but I don't know how you put so much weight on UW like they are a force of nature. Bo Ryan is a hall of fame coach. HE is spectacular. Even with him at the helm, the last two years were a complete outlier, and won't happen again at UW. Now that Bo is gone, and there are no more Bo-type coaches, there is little else to point to support them maintaining aything close to the success he enjoyed even before the FF runs.

They are in for a fall, but you could just as easily argue that the past 2 years weren't the outlier and that the only surprise is Bo didn't get that far sooner. Before the past 2 FF appearances, they had 3 conference titles and 2 conference tourney titles, as well as 15 straight years in the Dance. Bo's teams notoriously underperformed when it came to March. Rather than this being the outlier, it's a lot more like them catching up with the mean.

As far as sustained success, that's always about the next coach. No matter how UW fans may desire it, they won't get Tony Bennett. I would pretty much guarantee there's a better chance of Wojo leaving and TB taking the Marquette job than there is of him following Bo at UW. Even less chance they could pry Shaka Smart away from Texas (another name delusional Bucky fans like). But if they aren't sold on Gard (who could be great, he's identified much of the Badgers' recent talent and is a good X's & O's coach by all reports) they could likely get interest from guys like Bryce Drew at Valpo, Ben Jacobson at UNI, Steve Masiello at Manhattan, or even Archie Miller at Dayton. Any of them could succeed at Wisconsin.

Wild guess: you grew up in the state of Wisconsin?

I did. But if anything, that has further spurred my hatred of everything Red. I've spent years mocking Bo's failures in March and deriding Badger fans for their failures to capitalize on great collegiate players like Tucker, Taylor, and Leuer. But the bottom line is they finally came through and Bo's legacy is now cemented. I can't stand him, but he's the best coach UW has ever had. And not just in basketball. And because of him, their program hasn't just thrived, it has the chance to continue to thrive beyond him.

• All American
« Reply #181 on: July 01, 2015, 06:17:12 PM »
It will still be an attractive job. They play in a major conference (sadly bigger than ours) and have plenty of money as well as elite facilities and a great athletic dorm. Don't let your hate of UW blind you to how much potential the program has. Bo laid the foundation, and as long as a coach has the belief he can recruit, it can be a great job. It isn't Duke, Kansas, UNC, or Kentucky, but it's in that next tier of 10-15 jobs. I would say Marquette is in that tier as well.

First, I said 20, not ten. UW has been to the Final Four with two different coaches (even if the Bennett Final Four was even more an outlier). But 17 straight years in the tournament, 14 years in the top-4 of a high-major conference, and 3 Final Fours is huge. I'm sentimental toward Butler, but to indicate they have had more success than UW over the past 2 decades is ridiculous. I'd give you the top-8. After that, it's UW and UCLA, sadly. They're pretty much dead even at 9.

They are in for a fall, but you could just as easily argue that the past 2 years weren't the outlier and that the only surprise is Bo didn't get that far sooner. Before the past 2 FF appearances, they had 3 conference titles and 2 conference tourney titles, as well as 15 straight years in the Dance. Bo's teams notoriously underperformed when it came to March. Rather than this being the outlier, it's a lot more like them catching up with the mean.

As far as sustained success, that's always about the next coach. No matter how UW fans may desire it, they won't get Tony Bennett. I would pretty much guarantee there's a better chance of Wojo leaving and TB taking the Marquette job than there is of him following Bo at UW. Even less chance they could pry Shaka Smart away from Texas (another name delusional Bucky fans like). But if they aren't sold on Gard (who could be great, he's identified much of the Badgers' recent talent and is a good X's & O's coach by all reports) they could likely get interest from guys like Bryce Drew at Valpo, Ben Jacobson at UNI, Steve Masiello at Manhattan, or even Archie Miller at Dayton. Any of them could succeed at Wisconsin.

I did. But if anything, that has further spurred my hatred of everything Red. I've spent years mocking Bo's failures in March and deriding Badger fans for their failures to capitalize on great collegiate players like Tucker, Taylor, and Leuer. But the bottom line is they finally came through and Bo's legacy is now cemented. I can't stand him, but he's the best coach UW has ever had. And not just in basketball. And because of him, their program hasn't just thrived, it has the chance to continue to thrive beyond him.
You're out of your mind. Made some edits to my last post before I realized you'd responded, btw.

• All American
« Reply #182 on: July 01, 2015, 06:20:52 PM »
From my late edit above...
"Edit: Just realized that you said TWENTY years. That gives me even more programs who have won a national championship (12 total), which automatically puts them ahead of anything UW has accomplished. None of these teams turned in anything close to the 13-14 gem the '94-'95 Badgers turned in. This record, by the way, is representative of their entire mediocre history. Your top-ten statement is ludicrous."

• All American
« Reply #183 on: July 01, 2015, 06:22:29 PM »
Whoever you think is arguing that Bo isn't a HOF coach, go have that argument with them.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #184 on: July 01, 2015, 06:37:54 PM »
You're out of your mind. Made some edits to my last post before I realized you'd responded, btw.

Says the guy who thinks NBA paychecks has anything to do with collegiate program success  ::)

Also, 94-95 was 21 years ago. So take UCLA off your title list, as well as that 13-14 season for UW.

And here's the funniest bit...I don't even think Bo Ryan was the right hire for UW, even considering everything he did there.

• All American
« Reply #185 on: July 01, 2015, 06:48:53 PM »
Says the guy who thinks NBA paychecks has anything to do with collegiate program success  ::)

Also, 94-95 was 21 years ago. So take UCLA off your title list, as well as that 13-14 season for UW.

And here's the funniest bit...I don't even think Bo Ryan was the right hire for UW, even considering everything he did there.
the only support you've offered to counter my theory with NBA players and paychecks being associated with program success is that you don't like it. You seem to be confusing my argument of association with one of causation. I agree that Butlers max deal will not impact MU's chances at a NC in the future.

However, the list seems generally correct, and conceptually makes sense. A program's success has to do with recruiting and developing talent. Similar to how graduating salaries are used in ranking MBA programs, I'm comfortable with this as a reasonable measure of program strength.

I don't care what you think about Bo, nor do I find it funny.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #186 on: July 01, 2015, 07:11:34 PM »
So simply, you would put USC, LSU, New Mexico, Colorado, and Wake Forest ahead of UW? Your assumption that NBA roster positions is a better indicator of program success than actual program success is inherently flawed because mediocre programs like those 5 can stumble into occasional NBA players without actually accomplishing anything significant on the court.g

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #187 on: July 01, 2015, 07:13:06 PM »
They give basketball 6% of their athletic budget. We give ours 35%. Basketball is second fiddle at Wisconsin, some times third fiddle. The priority will always be football. The institution will always support football before basketball. The fans will always support football over basketball. I am not saying that they do not care. I am saying that they will never care as much about basketball as they do football. At Marquette, basketball will always be the priority.
A brief respite from 77 eviscerating GA.....

I agree with 99% of what you post and i agree that WI will never care about hoops as much as Marquette (It is our bloodline) but you'd have to take out football, men's hockey, women's hockey, and all the other 'serious' D1 programs they support to make a legit % comparison.  

Totally nit picking you  ;)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #188 on: July 01, 2015, 07:21:01 PM »
Wisconsin is a better job than Marquette right now.  Really no question about it.

Wow, I've never seen you miss like this before.

Wisconsin has had more recent success than Marquette, really no question about that.

But, without a doubt, Marquette is the better job.  If Wisconsin had opened up last year, would Wojo have been involved?  Wisconsin's success isn't related to institutional factors.  It has been built upon the back of a coach who had a system that fit well with the school.  Gard will get hired because that is by far the best opportunity Wisconsin has for continuing the success that they have had by continuing with the current system.  If another coach were to come in who was not going to retain Ryan's way of doing things, could you realistically see Wisconsin being successful following the Ohio State or Michigan State model?  I don't see that.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

• All American
« Reply #189 on: July 01, 2015, 07:32:53 PM »
So simply, you would put USC, LSU, New Mexico, Colorado, and Wake Forest ahead of UW? Your assumption that NBA roster positions is a better indicator of program success than actual program success is inherently flawed because mediocre programs like those 5 can stumble into occasional NBA players without actually accomplishing anything significant on the court.g
The point I'm making is about two schools: Marquette and Wisconsin. The Wisconsin program, despite recent successes, is not at or above Marquette's in terms of the attractiveness of the job.

You seem to be arguing for arguing's sake here; any suggestion (based on facts) that UW may not be the elite program you wish it was seems to have sent you into a rambling, jealous stew.

As this is likely the last post of mine you'll read before blocking, thanks for the entertainment.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 07:37:14 PM by Grayson Allen »

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #190 on: July 01, 2015, 07:45:20 PM »

Wisconsin has had more recent success than Marquette, really no question about that.

But, without a doubt, Marquette is the better job.  If Wisconsin had opened up last year, would Wojo have been involved?  Wisconsin's success isn't related to institutional factors.  It has been built upon the back of a coach who had a system that fit well with the school.  Gard will get hired because that is by far the best opportunity Wisconsin has for continuing the success that they have had by continuing with the current system.  If another coach were to come in who was not going to retain Ryan's way of doing things, could you realistically see Wisconsin being successful following the Ohio State or Michigan State model?  I don't see that.

+1000000

This is spot on. Ryan is a HOF coach because he recognized Madison's limitations as a program. He knew he could not continue his preferred up tempo style while at Plattville. He realized that at the D1 level teams that slowed the game to a glacial pace always had a shot at winning. The fact that a coach has to adopt his style because of a program's limitations does not scream top tier job, let alone top 10 in the country.

• All American
« Reply #191 on: July 01, 2015, 07:48:14 PM »
+1000000

This is spot on. Ryan is a HOF coach because he recognized Madison's limitations as a program. He knew he could not continue his preferred up tempo style while at Plattville. He realized that at the D1 level teams that slowed the game to a glacial pace always had a shot at winning. The fact that a coach has to adopt his style because of a program's limitations does not scream top tier job, let alone top 10 in the country.
woa woa woa - lets consult brewcity77 on this; UW is CLEARLY among the most elite programs in the nation.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #192 on: July 01, 2015, 09:32:54 PM »

If Marquette and Wisconsin opened up at the same time, all things being equal, Wisconsin would be considered the more desirable job.  If Wisconsin opened up last year, Wojo would not have been involved because Wisconsin would have had no interest.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #193 on: July 01, 2015, 09:35:38 PM »
Seriously, who are you? Go back to your Badger board and choke on Bo's shlong while you're at it. Why are you so intent on disproving MU relevance. Fact of the matter is MU hoops has wayyy more money then UW does.

Grow up.  He's been posting here for years.

Stop this crap with the "must be a Badger fan" line of thinking.  A Marquette education should be teaching you to objectively weigh facts and form opinions without bias.  Use it.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #194 on: July 01, 2015, 09:46:08 PM »

Stop this crap with the "must be a Badger fan" line of thinking.  A Marquette education should be teaching you to objectively weigh facts and form opinions without bias.  Use it.

+1

It is what separates us from the Grateful Red Philistines. People need to take off their blue and gold homer glasses here.

• All American
« Reply #195 on: July 01, 2015, 10:19:27 PM »

yes - let's all use concrete facts here... But not investment, or condition/size of facilities, or quality of recruits.... Basically lets just assume somehow UW is a more desirable job.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #196 on: July 02, 2015, 05:47:26 AM »
The point I'm making is about two schools: Marquette and Wisconsin. The Wisconsin program, despite recent successes, is not at or above Marquette's in terms of the attractiveness of the job.

You seem to be arguing for arguing's sake here; any suggestion (based on facts) that UW may not be the elite program you wish it was seems to have sent you into a rambling, jealous stew.

As this is likely the last post of mine you'll read before blocking, thanks for the entertainment.

So the NBA alum metric is a good one only for comparing these two schools? Dude, that's the very definition of a bad metric!  :D

Go ahead and block me, probably easier than constructing an argument that holds up under scrutiny.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 07:45:57 AM by brewcity77 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #197 on: July 02, 2015, 07:37:58 AM »
yes - let's all use concrete facts here... But not investment, or condition/size of facilities, or quality of recruits.... Basically lets just assume somehow UW is a more desirable job.

**Both schools are heavily invested in basketball.
**I think UW's facilities are better for reasons I have stated
**Quality of recruits?  The recruit the same territory.  Both are heavily dependent on the coach they bring in.

You have come to a different opinion. 

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #198 on: July 02, 2015, 07:47:01 AM »
Would Wisconsin ever pay more for their basketball coach than they do their football coach?  When your salary is capped out by some other dude, that decreases the attractiveness of the job.  When Tony Bennett's name has been thrown out at work, I've casually mentioned the salary thing and everyone has agreed.  Football is king and always will be.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #199 on: July 02, 2015, 07:48:38 AM »
**Both schools are heavily invested in basketball.
**I think UW's facilities are better for reasons I have stated
**Quality of recruits?  The recruit the same territory.  Both are heavily dependent on the coach they bring in.

You have come to a different opinion. 

Right now I'd side with Sultan, though it is close, and I think MU is moving in the right direction to correct that. The upgrades to the Al are a step in the right direction. The sports medicine institute is a huge step as well.

The big disparity now is dorms, which won't be fixed without the construction of a new dorm similar to the Coal Lodge. If the arena got sorted and construction on a new dorm set in motion, Marquette would definitely have better facilities, IMO.

feedback