[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bo Retiring  (Read 89656 times)

withoutbias

• All American
Re: Bo Retiring
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2015, 05:59:43 PM »
For us Marquette fans:  UW is going to solid still.  Unless whomever they hire (Gard, etc.) is a total dud, they have a program not just a good coach.

For Badger fans:  can you now stop with the whole Bo rumors were done by Marquette and Wojo to hurt UW's recruiting.  We've been hearing that since the Final Four.  Now we know there is some truth to the rumors not some recruiting tricks.

we'll see about that.

never heard that.  they actually said that?  that's hilarious.  even in years where mu sucks and uw is very good they still have little brother symptom apparently.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2015, 06:47:23 PM »
who thought that?  how long ago?

I suppose that would have been on what has been previously dubbed "The Underboard", if I recall correctly.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2015, 06:58:41 PM »
The coaching fraternity will view this as a top tier vacancy.
Greg Gard is not the man for the job.
I doubt Bennett would take it.  Remember, he's not an alum.
But anyone not coaching at UNC, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, MSU, OSU would probably give it a look.
you are out of your mind

I'm a Marquette fan, but am aware it's not a "top" job necessarily.

If UW and MU were both open simultaneously, MU gets first crack at any candidates, hands down.

Hyper involved egomaniac AD, subpar budget and salary for staff, and average at best recruiting "pipeline"
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 07:03:02 PM by Grayson Allen »
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2015, 07:07:56 PM »
Two thoughts ...

Which is a more prestigious job at Bucky, football or basketball coach?

I say football and Bucky has pretty much established itself as a stepping stone job.

Second ...

Here is my ranking of the most desirable Big 10 basketball coaching jobs

Michigan State
Indiana
Ohio State
Michigan
Maryland
Wisconsin
The rest

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2015, 07:50:06 PM »
Two thoughts ...

Michigan State
Indiana
Ohio State
Michigan
Maryland
Wisconsin
The rest

I'm not informed enough to opine on the first thought but it would be very hard to argue over your top 6.....we could quibble over the ranking i.e. MD is based off of future promise and WI off of recent past, and following Thad's legacy may be more desirable than the IU gig, but essentially you are correct.

That isn't a shame on the position.  Aren't those 6 of the top 25 HC jobs available in the country?  As the program is performing since this century, that is a pretty good situation to take over.

If I was to be the Prince of Whales and the 6th seed to The Crown (Benny B please don't fact check this) would I complain to QE that there were 5 royals in front of me? 

ShootinOutWallsofHeartach

• Walk-On
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2015, 08:10:09 PM »
TONY BENNETT IS THE ONLY COACH THAT CAN SAVE BADGER BB.
This

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2015, 08:15:08 PM »
I suppose that would have been on what has been previously dubbed "The Underboard", if I recall correctly.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=44436.msg724044#msg724044

It was in the Hauser thread.

• Walk-On
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2015, 08:25:04 PM »
Earl Tatum post says it all. Marquette has been fortunate to have experienced sustained excellence, whereby each coach (save Piano Bob,) since Al has achieved varying degrees of success over time. Its why Wojo came here, and we are all thankful to have him. Each Coach at MU has put his own unique stamp on the program. In Madison, Bo Ryan IS the program. They have the campus, facilities, etc., but it will be interesting to see if they can maintain success with a different style of play and/or recruiting philosophy. Tony Bennett would be the ideal coach to provide continuity. It's difficult to follow a legend, and that fact is MU's best friend when Coach K calls it quits.I'd bet it keeps TB at UVa as well.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2015, 08:29:43 PM »
The easiest thing for them to do is to hire Gard.  That is why they are going to do exactly that.  May not be the best hire, but its the best way to ensure program continuity and to keep the current boosters happy. 

• Walk-On
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2015, 08:33:05 PM »
The easiest thing for them to do is to hire Gard.  That is why they are going to do exactly that.  May not be the best hire, but its the best way to ensure program continuity and to keep the current boosters happy. 
Good point. By "continuity" as it pertains to Tony Bennett, I guess I meant a more prominent "name brand" continuity.

• All American
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2015, 08:34:25 PM »
I'm not informed enough to opine on the first thought but it would be very hard to argue over your top 6.....we could quibble over the ranking i.e. MD is based off of future promise and WI off of recent past, and following Thad's legacy may be more desirable than the IU gig, but essentially you are correct.

That isn't a shame on the position.  Aren't those 6 of the top 25 HC jobs available in the country?  As the program is performing since this century, that is a pretty good situation to take over.

If I was to be the Prince of Whales and the 6th seed to The Crown (Benny B please don't fact check this) would I complain to QE that there were 5 royals in front of me?  
for poops and laughs here's my list of top 25 jobs... order within groups are debatable but I'd say these are the appropriate tiers.

My idea is, if all coaches quit and had the chance to be be bid on, here's the rough order of who would "get their man" first

Top 5:
- Duke
- Kentucky
- Kansas
- Indiana
- UNC

Nos 6-10:
- Michigan State
- Arizona
- Louisville
- UCONN
- Kansas

Nos 11-15:
- Ohio State
- Syracuse
- Michigan
- Florida
- Texas

Nos 16-20:
- Oregon
- UCLA
- Marquette
- Villanova
- Pittsburgh

Nos 21-25:
- Notre Dame
- Harvard
- Wisconsin
- Oklahoma State
- Pittsburgh
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:37:32 PM by Grayson Allen »
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2015, 08:34:35 PM »
Two thoughts ...

Which is a more prestigious job at Bucky, football or basketball coach?

I say football and Bucky has pretty much established itself as a stepping stone job.

Second ...

Michigan
Michigan State
Indiana
Maryland
Wisconsin
The rest
Ohio

Death on call

• All American
« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2015, 08:35:37 PM »
Earl Tatum post says it all. Marquette has been fortunate to have experienced sustained excellence, whereby each coach (save Piano Bob,) since Al has achieved varying degrees of success over time. Its why Wojo came here, and we are all thankful to have him. Each Coach at MU has put his own unique stamp on the program. In Madison, Bo Ryan IS the program. They have the campus, facilities, etc., but it will be interesting to see if they can maintain success with a different style of play and/or recruiting philosophy. Tony Bennett would be the ideal coach to provide continuity. It's difficult to follow a legend, and that fact is MU's best friend when Coach K calls it quits.I'd bet it keeps TB at UVa as well.
I agree - I'd posit that the biggest single reason for MU's sustained success is its commitment to the program in terms of $.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2015, 08:38:56 PM »
Good point. By "continuity" as it pertains to Tony Bennett, I guess I meant a more prominent "name brand" continuity.

But you have to understand the dynamics involved here.  Barry and Bo are friends.  Barry knows the boosters and people who have supported Bo, some since his days back in Platteville, want Gard to get the job.  And then there is the whole Dick Bennett v. Bo Ryan thing that is another complicating factor.  Furthermore, I think Barry might be gun shy given the issues with Gary Andersen.

If there was another AD in place, I might agree that they would leave no stone uncovered.  I just don't think that happens now.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2015, 08:55:31 PM »
I think that we'll be able to tell how solid the Gard deal is by the quality of commitments UW-Madison gets in the coming months.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2015, 09:24:20 PM »
Tony Bennett would be a totally unrealistic pipe dream for UW fans.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2015, 09:34:26 PM »
for poops and laughs here's my list of top 25 jobs... order within groups are debatable but I'd say these are the appropriate tiers.

My idea is, if all coaches quit and had the chance to be be bid on, here's the rough order of who would "get their man" first

Top 5:
- Duke
- Kentucky
- Kansas
- Indiana
- UNC

Nos 6-10:
- Michigan State
- Arizona
- Louisville
- UCONN
- Kansas

Nos 11-15:
- Ohio State
- Syracuse
- Michigan
- Florida
- Texas

Nos 16-20:
- Oregon
- UCLA
- Marquette
- Villanova
- Pittsburgh

Nos 21-25:
- Notre Dame
- Harvard
- Wisconsin
- Oklahoma State
- Pittsburgh
Harvard isn't anywhere close to a Top 25 job. MU isn't a Top 20 job either.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2015, 09:37:53 PM »
Wisconsin is a better job than Marquette right now.  Really no question about it.

• All American
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »
Harvard isn't anywhere close to a Top 25 job. MU isn't a Top 20 job either.
I'll agree Harvard is a stretch, but MU isn't. A big part of this is pay and resources. That's a huge deal, and the reason MU reloads with great coaches even if one leaves.

• All American
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2015, 10:07:46 PM »
Wisconsin is a better job than Marquette right now.  Really no question about it.
Not based on recruiting, facilities, salaries or resources.

What's the Bucky advantage?

If you're counting heavily on the recent tourney success, you should also weight heavily on the recent recruiting success where UW has been embarrassing versus MU who was able to land a top ten class for a rookie head coach.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2015, 10:14:43 PM »
 Now back to Marquette basketball.

I'm going to miss Dracula. He was a great foil for Marquette basketball. He was evil to our good. Beating Bo was like, well, beating Digger Phelps years ago. It makes your day when it happens.

Dracula is probably the best coach I've seen since Al and maybe Dean Smith. I like Dracula because he takes average to better than average talent and reaches the Final Four. His kids play hard and disruptive basketball. When we beat a Dracula-coached Rodent team, it was because we stayed in our game and didn't let them get to us. Dracula's kids were smart, played hard and, regrettably, won too often!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2015, 10:19:09 PM »
Now back to Marquette basketball.

I'm going to miss Dracula. He was a great foil for Marquette basketball. He was evil to our good. Beating Bo was like, well, beating Digger Phelps years ago. It makes your day when it happens.

Dracula is probably the best coach I've seen since Al and maybe Dean Smith. I like Dracula because he takes average to better than average talent and reaches the Final Four. His kids play hard and disruptive basketball. When we beat a Dracula-coached Rodent team, it was because we stayed in our game and didn't let them get to us. Dracula's kids were smart, played hard and, regrettably, won too often!

+1

He was fun to hate. He coached teams that played such a different style that it was fun to hate that about them too.

I hope that they bring in an equally unlikable coach.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2015, 10:48:37 PM »
who thought that?  how long ago?

Many expected he was done after this season.  Sounds like they were very close to being correct

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=47222.0

• Walk-On
« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2015, 11:17:10 PM »
+1

He was fun to hate. He coached teams that played such a different style that it was fun to hate that about them too.

I hope that they bring in an equally unlikable coach.
+10,000,000. "Dracula" fits Bo to a "T" he rarely was whistled for. This post made me feel that big Frank is the quintessential "Frankenstein", a monster of a player who was brought back from the recruiting-ranking dead by a mad genius.  Yeah, that's right, Frankie, WE ARE MARQUETTE, it's a pride thing, not an ID bracelet, you wouldnt understand. But, since the monster's creator was actually the one named (Dr.) Frankenstein, can we find a GIF with a giant bolt through Dracula's neck?? And will the next Doctor, I mean Coach, please not try to find Frankie a bride??

• Walk-On
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2015, 11:23:53 PM »
My bad, Kaminsky as Frankenstein's monster was a bad analogy. The character played by Boris Karlov actually had some redeeming qualities.