[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bo Retiring  (Read 88822 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Bo Retiring
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 01:07:28 PM »
Also interesting that Alvarez basically asked him to retire. A bold choice for an AD without a stellar history of coaching hires.

Not how I interpreted that tweet at all.

I think Bo wanted to leave on top...he just made the National Championship game with a lot of his top players leaving.

Alvarez probably sh!t his pants and begged him to stay for a year to try to get a transition plan in place, and Bo acquiesced.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 01:08:37 PM »

Because Barry like Bo and is going to allow him to retire on his own terms.  Whether or not that is smart or not can be discussed.  But Barry very much respects Bo.  Barry also doesn't want to piss off any donors.
According to your theory, Barry already got involved in trying to get Bo to extend his career beyond what he intended. That's respecting his terms?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

chapman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2015, 01:10:51 PM »
Old vampires never die, they just fade away...

So it's not really, really messy like on True Blood?

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2015, 01:11:07 PM »
Barry cooled on Bo.

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
Barry cooled on Bo.
Well done and fantastic
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 01:13:22 PM »
According to your theory, Barry already got involved in trying to get Bo to extend his career beyond what he intended. That's respecting his terms?

Are you having reading comprehension problems or are you simply being argumentative?

Bo sat down with Barry after the season.  Said he was contemplating retirement.  Barry encouraged him to take some time and not make the decision immediately after the season was over.  Bo took a few weeks to think about it and told Barry he wanted to coach one more year.  Barry agreed.

Is that hard?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2015, 01:14:58 PM »
Buzz to Wisconsin.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2015, 01:15:50 PM »
If you find the next Bo, sure. But what coach would want to step into that program with the lack of recruiting pipeline? Bo weaves straw into gold.

As the flagship university in a state with a growing pool of high level basketball talent, UW will always have a recruiting pipeline.
Whether the next coach is able to take advantage of that, we'll have to see, but it'll be there for him.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2015, 01:16:06 PM »

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2015, 01:17:09 PM »

Are you having reading comprehension problems or are you simply being argumentative?

Bo sat down with Barry after the season.  Said he was contemplating retirement.  Barry encouraged him to take some time and not make the decision immediately after the season was over.  Bo took a few weeks to think about it and told Barry he wanted to coach one more year.  Barry agreed.

Is that hard?
Probably the reading comprehension problem.

That's a pretty forgiving interpretation, and you clearly think more highly of BA than I do.

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2015, 01:19:06 PM »
As the flagship university in a state with a growing pool of high level basketball talent, UW will always have a recruiting pipeline.
Whether the next coach is able to take advantage of that, we'll have to see, but it'll be there for him.
Call me old fashioned but I'd consider a pipeline to be one with demonstrated history of success. What percentage of the last five Mr. Basketball's that UW was in on ended up going there?

UW has a pipeline into Wisconsin Basketball talent the same way DePaul has a pipeline on Chicago basketball talent.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2015, 01:21:53 PM »
Buzz to Wisconsin.

TC to Wisconsin.

Co-coaches!

uncle zeffy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2015, 01:22:14 PM »
Preview of Bo's retirement ceremony

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hqOOUJFv1n0?version=3&amp;autoplay=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hqOOUJFv1n0?version=3&amp;autoplay=0</a>

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2015, 01:27:33 PM »
Call me old fashioned but I'd consider a pipeline to be one with demonstrated history of success. What percentage of the last five Mr. Basketball's that UW was in on ended up going there?

UW has a pipeline into Wisconsin Basketball talent the same way DePaul has a pipeline on Chicago basketball talent.

Really? That's how you judge it ... by percentage of the last five Mr. Basketballs?
By that standard, I don't think any school anywhere has a recruiting pipeline within their state.
After all, only one Kansas Mr. Basketball has gone to KU in the last eight years.

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2015, 01:28:53 PM »
Really? That's how you judge it ... by percentage of the last five Mr. Basketballs?
By that standard, I don't think any school anywhere has a recruiting pipeline within their state.
After all, only one Kansas Mr. Basketball has gone to KU in the last eight years.

Has UW gotten the cream of the crop from Wisconsin? I think that's been a Marquette habit the past five years, no?

Not even saying I'm a homer; it's not like UW is MSU, Ohio State, Indiana, etc

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2015, 01:29:18 PM »
For us Marquette fans:  UW is going to solid still.  Unless whomever they hire (Gard, etc.) is a total dud, they have a program not just a good coach.

For Badger fans:  can you now stop with the whole Bo rumors were done by Marquette and Wojo to hurt UW's recruiting.  We've been hearing that since the Final Four.  Now we know there is some truth to the rumors not some recruiting tricks.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2015, 01:31:34 PM »
Has UW gotten the cream of the crop from Wisconsin? I think that's been a Marquette habit the past five years, no?

UW is consistently in the running for the top players in the state. They don't always get them.

brandx

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2015, 01:36:04 PM »

Very true. UW under Ryan only goes to the big Dance as much as Michigan state and more often than the others than Ohio State and Indiana.

Indiana may be a "blue blood" but they are nowhere near the program UW has been under Ryan.

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2015, 01:36:45 PM »
UW is consistently in the running for the top players in the state. They don't always get them.
So... it's a school steeped in tradition of moral victories

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2015, 01:38:01 PM »
Very true. UW under Ryan only goes to the big Dance as much as Michigan state and more often than the others than Ohio State and Indiana.

Indiana may be a "blue blood" but they are nowhere near the program UW has been under Ryan.
I agree - I'm talking about recruits. In case you missed it, Ryan will no longer be coach at UW. I am arguing that the program for a new coach is not as attractive as it's made out to be. Bo is an exceptional coach, but the program itself hasn't built recruiting pipelines or a demonstrated intent to invest in the program at a high level.

If all of the above mentioned jobs opened up at once, UW would be the least attractive job.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2015, 01:38:51 PM »
Should UW@Madison consider Lamont Paris?  I think he was key in recruiting success in the last few years?

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2015, 01:46:00 PM »
So is he doing this to be like Derek Jeter and get presents on his farewell tour?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2015, 01:46:19 PM »

Not really.
Over the last five years, MU has landed Ellenson, Heldt, Cohen, D. Wilson and Burton.
UW has landed Pritzl, Koenig, Dekker and Showalter.
Seems like both schools have done well in-state.

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2015, 01:46:28 PM »
Not to beat a dead horse, but UW's recruiting class isn't even in the top 40 according to ESPN. That's after back-to-back final fours.

I'm not sure there's a ton of momentum for an incoming coach.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2015, 01:47:02 PM »
Shaka to Madison