[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Restaurant thread (was: Re: 2017 SG LJ Figueroa)  (Read 11393 times)

LAMUfan

• All American
Re: Restaurant thread (was: Re: 2017 SG LJ Figueroa)
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2015, 02:26:45 PM »
So blues egg and maxies southern comfort have the same owners FYI and they have a 3rd place called story hill BKC on bluemound, so if you guys like the first two I would check out the new one.  It's a little fancier but they do fill growlers which is always a sign of a fine establishment.  Also for growlers, rays growler room in tosa is the best... why am I talking about beer?  all of this food talk must be making me thirsty

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2015, 04:31:09 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 09:34:17 AM by Michael Kenyon »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2015, 06:21:42 PM »
Does Mad Rooster serve alcohol? More specifically, do they have bloodies?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2015, 06:36:18 PM »

So, ya wouldn't do a virgin, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2015, 10:15:42 AM »

Yes and they are solid, wouldn't say great but they are good enough considering how good the food is.  Probably comparable to Blue Egg bloodies
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: 2017 SG LJ Figueroa
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2015, 10:50:57 AM »
For southern cuisine, I'd take Palomino (Bayview) over Maxie's every night of the week and twice on Sat/Sun (when they are open for brunch).  Maxie's has good food but also gets packed, whereas I've rarely had to wait at Palomino.  There isn't a ton of menu overlap, so maybe I just prefer the options at Palomino.  Maxie's is the place if you're looking for seafood (although Palomino often has specials that incorporate fried catfish and they are awesome). Palomino's fried chicken and sandwiches blow Maxie's out of the water.  Palomino is also an underrated brunch spot IMO.  Can't go wrong with the chicken & waffles, biscuits & gravy, or chicken fried steak.  Beer list isn't extensive, as their specialty is whiskey, but they have good options and rotate the taps frequently.

All things considered, I'd reccommend trying both places if you like comfort food.

Palomino sucks now compared to when it was straight hipster fare. The reboot of the menu & concept ruined the place. The food is just ok now and the place just isn't fun. If you're in that hood go to Goodkind or even better go to Pastiche.
But I like to throw handfuls...

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2015, 12:26:55 PM »
Palomino sucks now compared to when it was straight hipster fare. The reboot of the menu & concept ruined the place. The food is just ok now and the place just isn't fun. If you're in that hood go to Goodkind or even better go to Pastiche.

Your tag line indicating you take your Real Chili with "noodles and sour cream" undermines your gastronomic credibility...

Death on call

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2015, 03:49:21 PM »

I went to Palomino last year after about 10 years away. Not nearly the same place it once was.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »

Or Lazy Susan or Odd Duck or Braise.  All great places.  The Walkers Point and Bay View neighborhoods are where it's at for food in Milwaukee.

ANother breakfast/brunch place I like to recommend is Engine Company No. 3 on National.  The food is very good, but the real kicker is that they have a gorgeous, spacious second floor where you can hang out and drink coffee and bloodies (and enjoy a pastry if that's your thing) while you wait for your table to clear downstairs.  It really takes all the angst out of going out for brunch without a reservation.   

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2015, 01:09:48 PM »
Just finished our brunch at Mad Rooster. Very, very good. Great flavor, big portions, and bloodies that didn't need a forest on top to be worth drinking. Much better than Blues Egg, and only a 5 minute wait. Always nice to have another brunch spot.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2015, 01:17:34 PM »
Your tag line indicating you take your Real Chili with "noodles and sour cream" undermines your gastronomic credibility...
[/quote

So the Marquette Special at Real Chili undermines my thoughts on food - good to know. Thanks for the heads up.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2015, 11:02:39 AM »
Looking for a lunch spot to take the wife in a couple weeks.  Considering both Alem and Ethiopian Cottage but wondering what other options.  Looking for something that is open around noon.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2015, 12:14:22 PM »
Looking for a lunch spot to take the wife in a couple weeks.  Considering both Alem and Ethiopian Cottage but wondering what other options.  Looking for something that is open around noon.

As mentioned earlier, Rickey's on State has some specials for lunch.

Talk to Goose and he can get you guys comped for some upgrades!

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2015, 12:36:35 PM »
Lay the parameters, dude. How much, what part of town, special occasion, etc.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2015, 01:07:48 PM »

Heard very good things about Alem, but not been there yet myself. Are you specifically looking for Ethiopian cuisine?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2015, 01:23:14 PM »
Just a day trip to Milwaukee on Wed July 29.  Going to the art museum for the Jackson Pollock exhibit. Any cuisine will do.  Mentioned the two Ethopian places since they were mentioned in this thread and they are both relatively close to the museum.  But we live in Madison so any places out in the western suburbs that is on our way home works too.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2015, 06:43:55 PM »
Eddie Martini's, Parkside 23, Carson's, Capital Grille, The Knick, Simple, Wicked Hop, Harbor House.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2015, 07:32:24 PM »
Just a day trip to Milwaukee on Wed July 29.  Going to the art museum for the Jackson Pollock exhibit. Any cuisine will do.  Mentioned the two Ethopian places since they were mentioned in this thread and they are both relatively close to the museum.  But we live in Madison so any places out in the western suburbs that is on our way home works too.

Coast is good. Located where Wisconsin meets Prospect, if you sit by the windows it actually overlooks the Art Museum, allowing diners to watch the MAM wings open and close. Might be a nice touch for a Museum day.

EDIT: Looks like Coast cut their hours, only open 5-9 pm now, and very unfortunately no more brunch. One of my coolest dining experiences in Milwaukee was watching the morning sun over the MAM as the wings opened. Too bad.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 07:36:44 PM by brewcity77 »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2015, 10:12:10 PM »
Some nice looking options.  Thanks!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2015, 09:26:10 PM »
Going to Manny's tomorrow night. Haven't been there in years.  Got my eye on the 85....yes, 85 day aged bone in ribeye.

Anyone try it yet?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2015, 10:36:29 PM »
Going to Manny's tomorrow night. Haven't been there in years.  Got my eye on the 85....yes, 85 day aged bone in ribeye.

Anyone try it yet?

Best steak in America: Peter Luger

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2015, 06:40:32 PM »
One of the larger than life figures at Marquette back in the day was Nestor Figueroa. He did public radio in Milwaukee but was proud to work at the Danish World smut shop on Wisconsin Avenue.

Nestor was Ed Figueroa's cousin and he would get us player tix at Will Call when the Yankees were in town. We watched in stunned silence one night as Nestor pounded six Hot Bean's at Real Chili after a hard night at the 'Lanche.

Somehow, the world was different after that event. There were gas lines, the prime rate was north of 20%, and a peanut farmer was President but we had watched a man down six bowls of Real Chili in less than 30 minutes. We knew that America would be all right after that night. 

wow-you knew nestor??  1977-78 9th floor mccormick. nestor was DA MAN.  he had one of the what we called the suites of the floors.  great guy. he had an elevator key so he always drew a crowd at the 'vator.  b/c of his, umm girth, space was a little limited and you had to be assertive.  he got us hooked on "one life to live" a bunch of us scheduled our 2nd semester classes around it's noon or 1:00 show to watch and see if/when samantha would lose her virginity-what a gas

i'll never ever forget and can still hear him say...wait for it...most famous line on the floor...

"i don't geeeeve a flyin f**k

he had a standing offer to anyone who would get him the cbs sports banner $100 and i was 1 inch from getting it at old county stadium after a brewers game.  it was hanging right there wire tied to the fence separating the fans from the field nesdt to the visitors dugout.  as the game ended, i made it down to the banner and started to untie it thinking this was the easiest C-note i've ever earned.  then an usher came.  he didn't really prevent me from taking it, but kinda asked what i was doing...i wasn't drunk enough, so i just laid off and the rest is just a woulda coulda shoulda story.  $100 at that time bought a lot of red white and blues at the 'lanche-hey i woulda splurged and got myself an andeker or two
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2015, 07:02:19 PM »
and don't forget to check out the waitress' ankles...if they're dirty, the chili is good" 

al mcguire

mexican-conejitos

steak-mr. b's bartolotta's steak house brookfield's version of  gibsons in chicago
        wards-delafield or milwaukee   
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2015, 10:36:48 PM »
Conejito's = awesome.

Kind of a fancy joint.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2015, 11:55:38 PM »
wow-you knew nestor??  1977-78 9th floor mccormick. nestor was DA MAN.  he had one of the what we called the suites of the floors.  great guy. he had an elevator key so he always drew a crowd at the 'vator.  b/c of his, umm girth, space was a little limited and you had to be assertive.  he got us hooked on "one life to live" a bunch of us scheduled our 2nd semester classes around it's noon or 1:00 show to watch and see if/when samantha would lose her virginity-what a gas

i'll never ever forget and can still hear him say...wait for it...most famous line on the floor...

"i don't geeeeve a flyin f**k

he had a standing offer to anyone who would get him the cbs sports banner $100 and i was 1 inch from getting it at old county stadium after a brewers game.  it was hanging right there wire tied to the fence separating the fans from the field nesdt to the visitors dugout.  as the game ended, i made it down to the banner and started to untie it thinking this was the easiest C-note i've ever earned.  then an usher came.  he didn't really prevent me from taking it, but kinda asked what i was doing...i wasn't drunk enough, so i just laid off and the rest is just a woulda coulda shoulda story.  $100 at that time bought a lot of red white and blues at the 'lanche-hey i woulda splurged and got myself an andeker or two

I had forgotten the Molester's Trade Mark line, "I don geeeeeef a flying foo huck!"

He had that fro, the tinted glasses, and the fractured Spanglish that gave him a rakish "Pimp cum Drug Lord" aura.

My favorite remains Nestor inhaling six bowls of hot in well under 30 minutes. The only thing that really slowed him down was the server. It was clear that the only thing stopping him at six bowls was our unwillingness to fund any more for we knew the chili was cascading down into that bottomless 300 pound cylinder he called a torso.

The Molester added considerable girth and mirth to an already surreal Marquette experience.

Death on call

feedback