[Today at 05:29:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Woj: JFB would reject max offer  (Read 15062 times)

drewm88

• All American
Woj: JFB would reject max offer
« on: June 16, 2015, 08:39:03 PM »
Woj reports that Jimmy wants to pursue a short-term contract to keep his options open once the cap skyrockets.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--bulls-restricted-free-agent-jimmy-butler-plans-to-pursue-shorter-term-offer-sheets-212134060.html

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: Woj: JFB would reject max offer
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 09:38:42 PM »
A few months ago, it looked like both Wes and Jimmy would be getting max contract offers this off-season.  Today, it looks very likely that both will be getting short-term deals for next year.  I'm a Bulls fan (lifelong), but I hope Jimmy gets paid maximum (whether by the Bulls or another team).  He deserves every penny.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 10:02:10 PM »
Jimmy doesn't want to play with Drose either

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 12:21:30 AM »
Ballsy risky move. I like it.

mcderjim

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 12:59:54 AM »
Before I even read about the rumors of JFB and D Rose, I just had a gut feel that they didn't have rhythm together on the court. Jimmy has always been respectful of his teammates and he says the right things but you just don't see that camaraderie. Some of Jimmy's best games (and the Bulls) were early in the season when Rose was out. They just don't mesh and Jimmy would take a back seat during the regular season. In the playoffs, Jimmy tried to step up and get the offense going but that Rose/Butler magic never developed. So know I'm hearing that this problem relationship may be a factor in Jimmy looking to get out of Chicago (including the loss of Thibs and maximizing his value for the long term). Personally, I would like the Bulls to trade Rose while there's still some perceived value there. Would love to hear the thoughts from others

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 05:25:03 AM »
Before I even read about the rumors of JFB and D Rose, I just had a gut feel that they didn't have rhythm together on the court. Jimmy has always been respectful of his teammates and he says the right things but you just don't see that camaraderie. Some of Jimmy's best games (and the Bulls) were early in the season when Rose was out. They just don't mesh and Jimmy would take a back seat during the regular season. In the playoffs, Jimmy tried to step up and get the offense going but that Rose/Butler magic never developed. So know I'm hearing that this problem relationship may be a factor in Jimmy looking to get out of Chicago (including the loss of Thibs and maximizing his value for the long term). Personally, I would like the Bulls to trade Rose while there's still some perceived value there. Would love to hear the thoughts from others

You know, I hadn't even pondered the Bulls trading Rose. But it makes a lot of sense if they can get great value for him.

PG is such an important position that one is loathe to give up a great one. Which leads to the questions: Is Rose a great one? Is he a PG around whom you can build a championship team? Is he "worth" anywhere near the contract he received? Is he reliable enough and durable enough to be a long-term, championship-level PG?

The answer to the last question obviously is No, and it might be No to the other questions, as well.

Why wait until he gets hurt again and his value declines markedly? I think I'd shop him.

Nice conversation-starter, mcderjim!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 06:04:33 AM »
Ballsy risky move. I like it.

Smart move as the max contract will increase by $100 million in the next few years.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 08:15:33 AM »
I'm not sure there's a trade market for Rose. That's a monster contract for a guy that just can't stay healthy. Maybe after next year if he stays healthy, but with two years on his contract, that's a lot of money to pay for a guy with all his issues.

The question for Chicago is if Jimmy can be the best player on a title winning team. They'll certainly match any offer this year, but that next contract will determine if they mean him to be the centerpiece or that 2nd/3rd option.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 08:31:49 AM »
If the bulls can trade Rose and get some value, not even great value, but some value, they should do it. He's a classic tragic guy who but for injuries could have been something incredible. He's just not the same as he was.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 08:42:18 AM »
A few months ago, it looked like both Wes and Jimmy would be getting max contract offers this off-season.  Today, it looks very likely that both will be getting short-term deals for next year.  I'm a Bulls fan (lifelong), but I hope Jimmy gets paid maximum (whether by the Bulls or another team).  He deserves every penny.

The cap is the exact reason Lebron only signed for 2 years in Cleveland (1 with an option for next year). Waiting for that new TV money to kick in. Wouldn't be surprised to see Love give it another go in Cleveland next year with a short contract and then get max the year after. Of worried about an injury you can always do what Russell Wilson has and take out a huge insurance policy for that season.

I hope they both get paid, but would love to see Butler leave the Bulls so I can actually root for him again.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 08:51:10 AM »
Rose is frustrating. The problem is he's an attacking, scoring point. That's fine when you have otherworldly athleticism, but he simply hasn't been the same since the injuries and hasn't learned to play another way.

Derrick at his peak truly was one of the best in the game and had enough supporting cast to make the Bulls a contender, but he never learned to make his teammates better. And being the hometown hero, I'm not sure his ego will let him do that.

Maybe get 2-3 expiring contracts for him before Durant hits the market? Probably the best case scenario if they want to trade him this year. They certainly won't get anyone of true high value.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 08:56:41 AM »
If you can get some Gatorade powder for Derrick Rose, do it.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 09:04:39 AM »

Well I mean not for purple.  Orange or red and we can talk.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 09:07:27 AM »
Rose has always reminded me of a Carmella Anthony or a Big Dog.  Not in style, but highly skilled players who are great as individual players.  All three would be nightmares in one on one games or even 2 on two games.  But the NBA is played with 5 on the court and a rotation of at least 7 guys.  

All of these guys were/are high volume shooters/scorers, but they don't seem to be the type of player who's teams play well with them.  Maybe Rose's contract won't look so big in a year if the cap goes way up and thus someone will take a chance on him in a trade.  Otherwise, I don't see much trade value for his services.  

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 09:15:48 AM »
Rose is frustrating. The problem is he's an attacking, scoring point. That's fine when you have otherworldly athleticism, but he simply hasn't been the same since the injuries and hasn't learned to play another way.

Derrick at his peak truly was one of the best in the game and had enough supporting cast to make the Bulls a contender, but he never learned to make his teammates better. And being the hometown hero, I'm not sure his ego will let him do that.

Maybe get 2-3 expiring contracts for him before Durant hits the market? Probably the best case scenario if they want to trade him this year. They certainly won't get anyone of true high value.

I don't agree about Rose not making his teammates better early in his career, but I'd agree with that now. Everyone who watches the Bulls can see that Rose isn't the player he was before the injuries. Unfortunately, Rose hasn't figured that out yet, which means he hasn't adjusted his game. From a metrics standpoint, Rose was barely above average last season and he was wildly inconsistent in the playoffs. He still considers himself to be an elite player in the NBA, but he's just not. He's still good enough to be an All-Star and still good enough to be a key piece to a championship team, but the Bulls are Jimmy's team now and the fact that Derrick hasn't recognized that (or won't admit that) killed the team against Cleveland.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 09:19:08 AM »
Good analogy, GOO. In the NBA, even guys like Jordan and Lebron weren't good enough to win titles without a supporting cast. I'm confident the Bulls know that Rose can no longer be that guy, but for now that contract is an anchor they can't shed.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 09:36:53 AM »

Toss in Ryan Braun too, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 10:08:48 AM »
Rose has always reminded me of a Carmella Anthony or a Big Dog.  Not in style, but highly skilled players who are great as individual players.  All three would be nightmares in one on one games or even 2 on two games.  But the NBA is played with 5 on the court and a rotation of at least 7 guys.  

All of these guys were/are high volume shooters/scorers, but they don't seem to be the type of player who's teams play well with them.  Maybe Rose's contract won't look so big in a year if the cap goes way up and thus someone will take a chance on him in a trade.  Otherwise, I don't see much trade value for his services.  

Like MM just said, currently, with his decreased play and unchanged mindset, but early in his career he averaged plenty of assists cause his penetration opened up SO much.  He was a lethal scorer and distributor.  Its a shame that we'll never see that Rose again.  To compare him to Carmello, and his black hole ball holding, is very unfair.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 09:32:03 AM »
Jimmy and Thibs dining it up together at Gibson's. Jimmy's contract play will be interesting.  He is obviously very close to his former coach.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7/71/725518/jimmy-butler-tom-thibodeau-dinner

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 11:33:54 AM »
Maybe Thibs just wants to be his agent and grab 4%, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 03:25:32 PM »
Looks like LBJ made his decision. Paydays are bigger somewhere else.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13163726/lebron-james-bypass-option-cleveland-cavaliers-become-free-agent

The risk for players like Wes and Jimmy is they don't have the LBJ label and a dramatic injury, like Wes's, really puts them in a bad bind contract-wise. Jimmy's ceiling and age helps him out though.
SS Marquette

mcderjim

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 09:09:10 PM »
Some news is just no news at all....Tribune trying to make up a story with Thibs and Jimmy.  Perhaps Jimmy just appreciates the hell out of Thibs. The coach saw the skills in Jimmy and gave him a huge break. I'm sure there's a ton of mutual admiration as Thibs respected Jimmys work ethic. End of story...two guys that appreciate each other and are both the better for it. And Gibsons gets to put their picture on the wall.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 09:14:53 PM »
Some news is just no news at all....Tribune trying to make up a story with Thibs and Jimmy.  Perhaps Jimmy just appreciates the hell out of Thibs. The coach saw the skills in Jimmy and gave him a huge break. I'm sure there's a ton of mutual admiration as Thibs respected Jimmys work ethic. End of story...two guys that appreciate each other and are both the better for it. And Gibsons gets to put their picture on the wall.

...yeah, and 1 of those 2 guys who "appreciate the hell" out of the other was fired.

mcderjim

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2015, 09:55:29 PM »
My guess is that Jimmy signs a nice short term contract with the Bulls. He can then take advantage of the upcoming increases. It gives him time to see what the Bulls do with the team. I think he genuinely likes his teammates but lots of contracts expiring in the next couple years. If all goes well, advantage to the Bulls to sign Jimmy long term but I believe there is an underlying issue with how Rose and Jimmy play together. Hope Hoiberg figures it out or Jimmy will end up in a couple of years on a team that thinks they can beat CLV with Jimmy defending LeBron.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 08:00:45 AM »
The Bulls can match anything. He'll be in Chicago next year.

Jimmy doesn't want a long-term contract this summer. He'll likely be doing this again next year.

feedback