[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2017 pg Markus Howard receives MU offer  (Read 28390 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: 2017 pg Markus Howard receives MU offer
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2015, 06:09:49 PM »
Hopefully he can scrimmage against the coaches. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2015, 06:25:34 PM »
If Wojo could pry this AZ kid away from AZ-ASU-UNLV it would be a major recruiting coup.  Nice that he is visiting though....

http://runrebs.com/2015/07/23/markus-howard-ready-move-las-vegas/
Markus Howard Ready to Make Move to Las Vegas
Recruiting Thursday, July 23 9:32pmBy Mike Grimala

After scoring 32.4 points per game as a sophomore for his Arizona high school team in 2015-16, Markus Howard decided he needed a change of scenery and a step up in competition. So the 5-foot-11 point guard is packing his bags and heading to Findlay Prep.

“I wanted to be challenged more,” Howard said. “I wanted to play with the best players and against the best players in the country. So it was real easy to make that decision because Findlay Prep is a national powerhouse.”

It’s an intriguing development from UNLV’s perspective. Dave Rice offered Howard in the spring, just a week before Howard announced his move to Findlay Prep, so the Rebels appear to have an inside track. Howard has also joined the Las Vegas Prospects, an AAU team that features several other UNLV recruiting targets, including Troy Brown, Oshae Brissett and Charles O’Bannon Jr.

After playing with the Prospects on Thursday in the Las Vegas Classic, Howard said he’s just starting to dip his toe into the recruiting process.

“I’m very open to any school that’s willing to recruit me,” Howard said. “Probably around the beginning of my senior year or the end of my junior year, I’ll start to cut my choices down and begin to make my decision.”

In addition to UNLV, Howard said he’s also hearing from Arizona, Arizona State, San Diego State, Baylor, Indiana, Marquette, Wichita State, Nebraska and Oregon. For the Rebels, it’s been Rice and assistant coach Todd Simon maintaining contact, according to Howard.

Howard doesn’t arrive in Las Vegas full-time until late August, so he hasn’t had a chance to survey the UNLV campus yet. But he’s smart enough to give Rebels fans what they want to hear.

“I know it’s a great history with coach Tarkanian building that program,” he said when asked what he knows about UNLV. “And that national championship run they had in the 90’s was awesome with Larry Johnson and Anderson Hunt. I’m very familiar with the program.”

Howard is a deft ball-handler with a natural knack for finishing in the lane despite not possessing elite athleticism. While his size limits him to the point guard position, Howard is most definitely a scorer. He averaged 2.8 assists per game last year, but shot 47.2 percent from the field, 38.2 percent from 3-point range and 87.0 percent from the free-throw line.

He’s rated as the No. 31 player in the Class of 2017, and he counts his scoring mentality as a strength.

“I’m a very explosive scoring guard,” Howard said. “I can also lead a team and I’m a very good defender as well. I’m a point guard that can score.”
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2015, 09:33:35 PM »
Does anyone know if he's in town for an AAU event?  If not, It seems to be good news that he's paying his own way from Arizona.

Travel season ended last weekend

STAN-LEY!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2015, 03:53:56 AM »
Ha, ha, ha...

Everyone knows North Luzon Institute of Technology is where you want to go.

Northern Luzon is too cold. If you can find Central Luzon it is anything but frigid.

Death on call

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2015, 10:41:15 AM »
Stan Johnson has already paid immediate dividends since being hired.  The fact that we are now getting access to several top recruits from the west coast speaks volumes.  Excellent hire by Wojo, IMO.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2015, 11:53:25 AM »
Stan Johnson has already paid immediate dividends since being hired.  The fact that we are now getting access to several top recruits from the west coast speaks volumes.  Excellent hire by Wojo, IMO.

I am optimistic, but I will wait until we land one to declare that it is paying dividends
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2015, 12:54:36 PM »
I am optimistic, but I will wait until we land one to declare that it is paying dividends

After what MU plunked down for Isaac Chew to not land big recruits, I think this is a wise move.

MuMark

• All American

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2015, 02:31:21 PM »
Matt Velazquez ‏@Matt_Velazquez  4h4 hours ago
Markus Howard told me he's very close with #mubb assistant @MUCoachJohnson. Marquette wasn't on his radar until Johnson was hired.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2015, 02:49:28 PM »
Apparently, we're da only non-left coast team on his radar, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2015, 04:13:30 PM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2015, 05:39:57 PM »
After what MU plunked down for Isaac Chew to not land big recruits, I think this is a wise move.

Chew was the guy who got JJJ. I know he hasn't yet lived up to the hype, but he was the highest rated recruit (going by RSCI) of Buzz's tenure. He was also the lead assistant on Ahmed Hill.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2015, 01:56:05 AM »
How come Matt's blog doesn't feed automatically anymore?

It happened when scoop got a makeover
TAMU

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2015, 10:17:54 AM »
Apparently, we're da only non-left coast team on his radar, hey?

Not the case.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2015, 09:16:50 PM »
@markushoward11: Great visit today @MarquetteMBB thanks to all the coaches and staff that showed me a great visit

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2015, 10:07:59 PM »
Good thing it wasn't snowin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2015, 10:39:25 PM »
@markushoward11: Great visit today @MarquetteMBB thanks to all the coaches and staff that showed me a great visit
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2015, 12:00:48 AM »
The way he talked about Stan Johnson he definitely seems to have a very strong relationship with him.  We just might have a shot on this guy...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2015, 01:48:04 AM »
The way he talked about Stan Johnson he definitely seems to have a very strong relationship with him.  We just might have a shot on this guy...

I hope we do. We'll be in bad need of a PG by 2017. Will also need to find a big man somewhere.
TAMU

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2015, 05:45:01 AM »
I hope we do. We'll be in bad need of a PG by 2017. Will also need to find a big man somewhere.

Really? Traci will be a Junior.  Sure we'll need and want one to groom but it's not like the year Travis got hurt and we couldn't get the ball over half court.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2015, 09:59:13 AM »
Really? Traci will be a Junior.  Sure we'll need and want one to groom but it's not like the year Travis got hurt and we couldn't get the ball over half court.

I'm off the opinion that you need to recruit a PG at least every other year. It's the hardest position to learn at the college level. You want your future starters to have an opportunity to be a backup for a year or two.
TAMU

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2015, 10:19:17 AM »
I'm off the opinion that you need to recruit a PG at least every other year. It's the hardest position to learn at the college level. You want your future starters to have an opportunity to be a backup for a year or two.

Like, for example, Diener did behind Cordell Henry.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2015, 10:21:28 AM »
Like, for example, Diener did behind Cordell Henry.
Now there were two studs!!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2015, 09:47:49 PM »

A circumstance that led directly to one of the most shameful moments in the long, proud history of Marquette hoops. Who didn't feel the sting of humiliation as we were thrashed soundly by Western Michigan on our home turf? 

Death on call