[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Costco to start selling weed in WA  (Read 15366 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"

Death on call

tower912

• All American
Re: Costco to start selling weed in WA
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 08:29:22 PM »
Large quantities, low prices, satisfied employees.    Plus, they already have huge amounts of chips and guacamole available. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 08:48:18 PM »
Large quantities, low prices, satisfied employees.    Plus, they already have huge amounts of chips and guacamole available. 

I wonder if they will have a sample table set up??

Death on call

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 09:02:01 PM »
I wonder if they will have a sample table set up??

Yeah I believe it will be right next to the Vitamix one. In fact I heard that you can make weed soup, smoothies, ice cream in just seconds with one of those

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 09:07:08 PM »
Offering BOGO's.  Bogart One, Get One

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 07:55:49 AM »
and the dumbing down of our country continues-keep 'em all fat(not if mickey can help it though?), happy and stoned while rome is on fire-meh-hey dude, whatchasay we head on down to costco for happy hour-heyna. 

how soon before we need to classify pot-aholics a disability.  i'm all for legitamate medical uses, but to add another drug to the arsenal?  many of these people can't afford a pot(no pun) to p!ss in, but they sure can afford the hundreds of dollars on tatoos, peircings and drugs.  i believe the root of most familial problems begins with substance abuse
don't...don't don't don't don't

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 10:20:22 AM »
and the dumbing down of our country continues-keep 'em all fat(not if mickey can help it though?), happy and stoned while rome is on fire-meh-hey dude, whatchasay we head on down to costco for happy hour-heyna. 

how soon before we need to classify pot-aholics a disability.  i'm all for legitamate medical uses, but to add another drug to the arsenal?  many of these people can't afford a pot(no pun) to p!ss in, but they sure can afford the hundreds of dollars on tatoos, peircings and drugs.  i believe the root of most familial problems begins with substance abuse

Because of some legacies from the war I am extremely limited in my alcohol consumption these days. But if Uncle Sam allows Scottish craftsmen to sell single malt then we should allow Indian tribes to sell weed.

If one looks at the history of the anti-marijuana crusade in this country it has a lot more to do with a distaste for Mexican immigrants and less to do about the weed itself. Here is a timeline from PBS Frontline:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/dope/etc/cron.html

1600-1890s

Domestic production of hemp encouraged

American production of hemp was encouraged by the government in the 17th century for the production of rope, sails, and clothing. (Marijuana is the mixture of dried, shredded flowers and leaves that comes from the hemp plant.)

In 1619 the Virginia Assembly passed legislation requiring every farmer to grow hemp. Hemp was allowed to be exchanged as legal tender in Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Maryland.

Domestic production flourished until after the Civil War, when imports and other domestic materials replaced hemp for many purposes. In the late nineteenth century, marijuana became a popular ingredient in many medicinal products and was sold openly in public pharmacies.

During the 19th century, hashish use became a fad in France and also, to some extent, in the U.S.

Pure Food and Drug Act

Required labeling of any cannabis contained in over-the-counter remedies.

1900 - 20s

Mexican immigrants introduce recreational use of marijuana leaf

After the Mexican Revolution of 1910, Mexican immigrants flooded into the U.S., introducing to American culture the recreational use of marijuana. The drug became associated with the immigrants, and the fear and prejudice about the Spanish-speaking newcomers became associated with marijuana. Anti-drug campaigners warned against the encroaching "Marijuana Menace," and terrible crimes were attributed to marijuana and the Mexicans who used it.

1930s

Fear of marijuana

During the Great Depression, massive unemployment increased public resentment and fear of Mexican immigrants, escalating public and governmental concern about the problem of marijuana. This instigated a flurry of research which linked the use of marijuana with violence, crime and other socially deviant behaviors, primarily committed by "racially inferior" or underclass communities. By 1931, 29 states had outlawed marijuana.

Creation of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics (FBN)

Harry J. Anslinger was the first Commissioner of the FBN and remained in that post until 1962.

Uniform State Narcotic Act

Concern about the rising use of marijuana and research linking its use with crime and other social problems created pressure on the federal government to take action. Rather than promoting federal legislation, the Federal Bureau of Narcotics strongly encouraged state governments to accept responsibility for control of the problem by adopting the Uniform State Narcotic Act.

"Reefer Madness"

Propaganda film "Reefer Madness" was produced by the French director, Louis Gasnier.

The Motion Pictures Association of America, composed of the major Hollywood studios, banned the showing of any narcotics in films.

Marijuana Tax Act

After a lurid national propaganda campaign against the "evil weed," Congress passed the Marijuana Tax Act. The statute effectively criminalized marijuana, restricting possession of the drug to individuals who paid an excise tax for certain authorized medical and industrial uses.

La Guardia Report finds marijuana less dangerous

New York Academy of Medicine issued an extensively researched report declaring that, contrary to earlier research and popular belief, use of marijuana did not induce violence, insanity or sex crimes, or lead to addiction or other drug use.

1940s

"Hemp for Victory"

During World War II, imports of hemp and other materials crucial for producing marine cordage, parachutes, and other military necessities became scarce. In response the U.S. Department of Agriculture launched its "Hemp for Victory" program, encouraging farmers to plant hemp by giving out seeds and granting draft deferments to those who would stay home and grow hemp. By 1943 American farmers registered in the program harvested 375,000 acres of hemp.

1951-56

Stricter Sentencing Laws

Enactment of federal laws (Boggs Act, 1952; Narcotics Control Act, 1956) which set mandatory sentences for drug-related offenses, including marijuana.

A first-offense marijuana possession carried a minimum sentence of 2-10 years with a fine of up to $20,000.

1960s

Marijuana use popular in counterculture

A changing political and cultural climate was reflected in more lenient attitudes towards marijuana. Use of the drug became widespread in the white upper middle class. Reports commissioned by Presidents Kennedy and Johnson found that marijuana use did not induce violence nor lead to use of heavier drugs. Policy towards marijuana began to involve considerations of treatment as well as criminal penalties.

Creation of the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs

This was a merger of FBN and the Bureau of Dangerous Drugs of the Food and Drug Administration.

Repeal of most mandatory minimum sentences

Congress repealed most of the mandatory penalties for drug-related offenses. It was widely acknowledged that the mandatory minimum sentences of the 1950s had done nothing to eliminate the drug culture that embraced marijuana use throughout the 60s, and that the minimum sentences imposed were often unduly harsh.

Marijuana differentiated from other drugs

The Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act categorized marijuana separately from other narcotics and eliminated mandatory federal sentences for possession of small amounts.

National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) founded

Shafer Commission

The bipartisan Shafer Commission, appointed by President Nixon at the direction of Congress, considered laws regarding marijuana and determined that personal use of marijuana should be decriminalized. Nixon rejected the recommendation, but over the course of the 1970s, eleven states decriminalized marijuana and most others reduced their penalties.

Creation of the US Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA)

Merger of the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs (BNND) and the Office of Drug Abuse Law Enforcement (ODALE).

High Times founded

Beginning of parents' movement against marijuana

A nationwide movement emerged of conservative parents' groups lobbying for stricter regulation of marijuana and the prevention of drug use by teenagers. Some of these groups became quite powerful and, with the support of the DEA and the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), were instrumental in affecting public attitudes which led to the 1980s War on Drugs.

Anti-Drug Abuse Act - Mandatory Sentences

President Reagan signed the Anti-Drug Abuse Act, instituting mandatory sentences for drug-related crimes. In conjunction with the Comprehensive Crime Control Act of 1984, the new law raised federal penalties for marijuana possession and dealing, basing the penalties on the amount of the drug involved. Possession of 100 marijuana plants received the same penalty as possession of 100 grams of heroin. A later amendment to the Anti-Drug Abuse Act established a "three strikes and you're out" policy, requiring life sentences for repeat drug offenders, and providing for the death penalty for "drug kingpins."

Bush's War on Drugs

President George Bush declares a new War on Drugs in a nationally televised speech.

Medical Use Legalized in California

California voters passed Proposition 215 allowing for the sale and medical use of marijuana for patients with AIDS, cancer, and other serious and painful diseases. This law stands in tension with federal laws prohibiting possession of marijuana.

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 10:49:02 AM »
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 12:15:44 PM »
snopes shoots it down

http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/costcopot.asp

Thanks for spoiling it!

The KR is a local version of The Onion

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 12:22:29 PM »
Thanks for spoiling it!

The KR is a local version of The Onion

Hey. I didn't believe it when I saw it so I naturally had to look it up!
SS Marquette

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 01:38:47 PM »
I figure people have been buying the stuff all along anyway - might as well get some tax revenues from it.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 07:01:11 PM »

Judging by your sentence structure and lack of coherence it seems you've already taken a pretty big sample.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 07:24:17 PM »
Judging by your sentence structure and lack of coherence it seems you've already taken a pretty big sample.

and that was before it was legalized-dipshot- what are you an english teacher?  i'm just a lazy scooper p1ssing off people who are anal about capitals, sentence structure and coherence. 

hepennypacker5000

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 09:12:24 PM »
i believe the root of most familial problems begins with substance abuse

Then quit blaming the unnatural carnal knowledgeing substances. If you believe that drug abuse is a symptom of a larger problem, stop demonizing the substance and address the actual problem. Criminalization or legalization of marijuana won't change the underlying issue you claim to care about. Your statement (as you probably realize) is just as true if we talk about alcohol, but as we know alcohol prohibition didn't work out so well.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 09:56:23 PM »
Then quit blaming the unnatural carnal knowledgeing substances. If you believe that drug abuse is a symptom of a larger problem, stop demonizing the substance and address the actual problem. Criminalization or legalization of marijuana won't change the underlying issue you claim to care about. Your statement (as you probably realize) is just as true if we talk about alcohol, but as we know alcohol prohibition didn't work out so well.

i'm not quite sure what you mean by "blaming the unnatural carnal knwledgeing substances".  never heard the term used in that context before, but i think i can address the rest of your, umm post.  imho-i believe legalization will change the underlying issue that i do care about.  decriminalization takes away the stigma and leads to further drug abuse.  pot is known to be a gateway drug.  lives are "carnal knowledged" all along the chain from the growth/manufacture of it, to selling it, to using it.  young children get a hold of it much easier-cookies et.al. in families, you'll see generations of the problems it causes.  i don't give a rats arse if prohibition didn't work.  it's still not a good thing to ingest for many people.  if people need drugs-go see a doctor.  i've seen too many cases of abuse and the problems it causes.  i believe pot is bad in many ways so, in your words-"stop demonizing the substance"?  umm...no. did i use and/or abuse pot when i was younger?  yes.  does that make me a hypocrite?  yes, but at this point all i can do is talk about my experience, strength and hopes to whoever wants to listen.  you don't have to agree with any of this, but i'd love for you to show me where i am wrong

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2015, 10:14:41 PM »
i'm not quite sure what you mean by "blaming the unnatural carnal knwledgeing substances".  never heard the term used in that context before, but i think i can address the rest of your, umm post.  imho-i believe legalization will change the underlying issue that i do care about.  decriminalization takes away the stigma and leads to further drug abuse.  pot is known to be a gateway drug.  lives are "carnal knowledged" all along the chain from the growth/manufacture of it, to selling it, to using it.  young children get a hold of it much easier-cookies et.al. in families, you'll see generations of the problems it causes.  i don't give a rats arse if prohibition didn't work.  it's still not a good thing to ingest for many people.  if people need drugs-go see a doctor.  i've seen too many cases of abuse and the problems it causes.  i believe pot is bad in many ways so, in your words-"stop demonizing the substance"?  umm...no. did i use and/or abuse pot when i was younger?  yes.  does that make me a hypocrite?  yes, but at this point all i can do is talk about my experience, strength and hopes to whoever wants to listen.  you don't have to agree with any of this, but i'd love for you to show me where i am wrong

I'm glad you overcame your pot addiction.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 11:38:39 PM »

Lol, I'm glad you had the strength to overcome your pot abuse  ::) Such a tough addiction to kick huh? Did you get the shakes when you gave it up?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2015, 06:44:33 AM »
I'm glad you overcame your pot addiction.

thanks guys, BUT, i didn't have a pot addiction.  i knew (seriously) of a few who did though, but i don't remember them talking about experiencing the shakes.  i have a brother in law who was a very functioning "pot-aholic"  he would get up in every morning and walk past the coffee maker, over to the coffee table and roll himself a joint.  then, probably 6,7, 8 or more times throughout the day, burn another one down.  all this while working various jobs, but he never missed work.  he quit about 25-30 years ago with few physical issues other than mood changes and now has like 30 years in with a food distribution company, selling to resturants-many of them upscales places. he never into legal problems, but family problems were the biggest issue.  another was a roommate-smoked all day, every day-he didn't make it thru his sophomore year.     

as i said in my post, i smoked my fair share of the stuff in high school-marquette-then very little after i graduated, BUT, the one thing that kicked my ass was alcohol.  i am a recovering alcoholic-about 10 years sober.  i did experience some mild shakes, but not near what i saw on some of the people i met in detox prior to entering actual rehab.  i didn't need librium or the like to ease myself off the alcohol completely.  so, back to hennypacker5000-alcohol prohibition was a failure on more than one front for me.

i have many problem drinkers and a number of alcoholics in my family.  i am not against drinking,  people can drink around me all they want-sometimes it's great therapy, reminding me of why i can't/don't drink anymore.  if they want my advice, i offer it to them.  if they don't, i mind my own business. 

bottom line however, i'm against legalizing another drug to be put out there for the abuse to get even worse.  it wrecks families, lives...  alcoholism and any other drug for that matter is only a symptom of the disease.  the addict is merely self-medicating for something his/her brain really needs-the serotonins, dopamines, etc   pot for medicinal purposes-excellant.  but not for another "recreational" escape.  we have enough things that cause societal problems, why add to it?

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 07:15:30 AM »
thanks guys, BUT, i didn't have a pot addiction.  i knew (seriously) of a few who did though, but i don't remember them talking about experiencing the shakes.  i have a brother in law who was a very functioning "pot-aholic"  he would get up in every morning and walk past the coffee maker, over to the coffee table and roll himself a joint.  then, probably 6,7, 8 or more times throughout the day, burn another one down.  all this while working various jobs, but he never missed work.  he quit about 25-30 years ago with few physical issues other than mood changes and now has like 30 years in with a food distribution company, selling to resturants-many of them upscales places. he never into legal problems, but family problems were the biggest issue.  another was a roommate-smoked all day, every day-he didn't make it thru his sophomore year.     

as i said in my post, i smoked my fair share of the stuff in high school-marquette-then very little after i graduated, BUT, the one thing that kicked my ass was alcohol.  i am a recovering alcoholic-about 10 years sober.  i did experience some mild shakes, but not near what i saw on some of the people i met in detox prior to entering actual rehab.  i didn't need librium or the like to ease myself off the alcohol completely.  so, back to hennypacker5000-alcohol prohibition was a failure on more than one front for me.

i have many problem drinkers and a number of alcoholics in my family.  i am not against drinking,  people can drink around me all they want-sometimes it's great therapy, reminding me of why i can't/don't drink anymore.  if they want my advice, i offer it to them.  if they don't, i mind my own business. 

bottom line however, i'm against legalizing another drug to be put out there for the abuse to get even worse.  it wrecks families, lives...  alcoholism and any other drug for that matter is only a symptom of the disease.  the addict is merely self-medicating for something his/her brain really needs-the serotonins, dopamines, etc   pot for medicinal purposes-excellant.  but not for another "recreational" escape.  we have enough things that cause societal problems, why add to it?

So, the takeaway is that alcohol was problematic, marijuana wasn't nearly as problematic, but we should keep alcohol legal and criminalize marijuana because of..... reasons.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 09:16:09 AM »
So, the takeaway is that alcohol was problematic, marijuana wasn't nearly as problematic, but we should keep alcohol legal and criminalize marijuana because of..... reasons.

fine, let's criminalize alcohol too, but i'll let you go first. 
last time i checked, pot is still illegal in most states and believe it or not, jamaica included.  you must still be smoking as i listed my reasons for why i believe pot should remain illegal 2 posts ago-the stigma of using is diluted by decriminalizing, it's a gateway drug that many times leads to harder drugs, it is often used in conjunction with alcohol.  the last thing we need is another way to impair oneself within our society.  people complain about the costs of smoking; the costs of any impairment(lost time at work, inefficiency at work, injuries, etc.) and or treatment is staggering.

there are substances all around us that can be abused-i'm not saying make them all illegal. 

my point is-
          we don't need another mind altering substance legalized.  just because i couldn't handle alcohol, doesn't mean it should be illegal. many many people have shown the ability to drink responsibly.  but make and enforce the laws we have punitive enough so it will deter people from harming others while under the influence.  yeah i know-many people have shown the ability to use pot responsibly-but it is still illegal right now-keep it that way.  everyone wants to compare it to alcohol-apples and oranges guys.  why stop with pot then? let's let the gubmint regulate it, then we can control the strength and get taxes...bullhockey-the cartels are not real happy about losing some of their market share here and colorado is already bitching about....the taxes.   

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 09:42:17 AM »
What is apples and oranges about pot and alcohol?  They are both substances that can be used responsibly, and can be abused.  Both *can* be gateway drugs, and both *can* cause a lot of family-related issues.  (Although my guess is alcohol is a lot more in that regard.)

So your response to the question "why shouldn't pot be legalized since alcohol is" seems to be "because it is illegal."  That is a circular answer though.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 10:20:24 AM »
What is apples and oranges about pot and alcohol?  They are both substances that can be used responsibly, and can be abused.  Both *can* be gateway drugs, and both *can* cause a lot of family-related issues.  (Although my guess is alcohol is a lot more in that regard.)

So your response to the question "why shouldn't pot be legalized since alcohol is" seems to be "because it is illegal."  That is a circular answer though.

Ha know what, a quick google of alcohol vs pot as gateways seem to show alcohol as having more of a gateway effect.

My opinion-i don't want to see pot legalized.  At what point with pot is one impaired? Too impaired to drive, etc?  Most times alcohol and pot are used together.  What is the synergistic affect? 

How much pot can one smoke just to get "a little high"?  What is too high to function and at what point is impairment.

Marijuana is a schedule I drug. Right in there with all the big dogs- lsd, heroin, ecstasy, peyote
This is above the schedule II drugs which include Vicodin, Demerol fentanyl OxyContin, to name a few

Pot is easier to get than alcohol-read, young kids can get it easier than alcohol(fact)

Listen, they both can be bad- I just don't want to see another mind altering substance entered into our smorgasbord of drugs.  If pot, then what next? Peyote lsd?  They are in the same classification.  What about codeine, keyboard duster, glue...lets just allow the gubmint to tax and regulate it.  Then we'll know what strengths and how much people are buying And it'll be safer-heyna?  Alcohol causes enough problems as it is

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2015, 09:29:15 PM »
Pot can be serious, even cause death.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v=V1kTZRcKZ6Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v=V1kTZRcKZ6Y</a>

(can someone fix the embedding ish?)

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2015, 09:14:33 AM »
thanks guys, BUT, i didn't have a pot addiction.  i knew (seriously) of a few who did though, but i don't remember them talking about experiencing the shakes.  i have a brother in law who was a very functioning "pot-aholic"  he would get up in every morning and walk past the coffee maker, over to the coffee table and roll himself a joint. 

Walking past the coffee maker to smoke a joint is a very healthy decision.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 10:10:35 AM »
fine, let's criminalize alcohol too, but i'll let you go first. 
last time i checked, pot is still illegal in most states and believe it or not, jamaica included.   

um, not really, possession of less than 2 oz. = $500J fine (currently about $4.31 US)

the only reason it was previously illegal was due to pressure from the US tied to loans, now that Jamaica has seen so much change in the US regarding pot laws they decided a little fock you to the US was in order