2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 15, 2024, 10:20:46 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

[Paint Touches] Shaka reaffirms MU commitment by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 15, 2024, 07:07:35 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MattVelazquezSays]Marquette's Haanif Cheatham won't wear No. 24  (Read 21182 times)

MattVelazquezSays

Marquette's Haanif Cheatham won't wear No. 24

A day after the incoming Marquette freshman tweeted a photo of the No. 24 on his locker and the story took off, Marquette released a three-paragraph statement with the headline that Haanif Cheatham will wear No. 25.
Source: Marquette's Haanif Cheatham won't wear No. 24

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: [MattVelazquezSays]Marquette's Haanif Cheatham won't wear No. 24
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 05:38:07 PM »
Still amazed at the PR issues that MU bball brings upon itself. Just think, this entire episode could have been completely avoided. Completely. But then there wouldn't be a controversy. Nice job.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 05:49:21 PM »
I feel better.  For some strange reason, this was really bothering me today.  I know it's not world peace or anything but...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 06:04:13 PM »
Was there any truth to the rumor that in addition to wanting number 24, Cheatham wanted them to put "Thompson" across the back?

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 06:15:14 PM »
unless the kid's last name is thompson, let him wear 24. just my opinion

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 06:45:19 PM »
Was there any truth to the rumor that in addition to wanting number 24, Cheatham wanted them to put "Thompson" across the back?
You are misinformed.  He wanted:
Thompson
Cheatham ;)

but NCAA uniform rules paragraph 6.4.c prohibits the use of emoticons.

I honestly understand the nostalgia that is driving the backlash but I don't think wearing the '24' goes against Wojo's culture of bridging the past with the present.  I hope all the players look at the list of former players to wear their # and think "Holy s@*t i recognize some of those names and they were great" and not "well Teve transferred so i hope that doesn't happen to me"

chapman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 06:46:49 PM »

Maybe George will adopt him.  

Still amazed at the PR issues that MU bball brings upon itself.

Pretty much a non-issue that it took a day to fix and he never actually wore the jersey.  Just sad that they already made the same slip nine years ago and any alumni who pay attention to basketball know #24 is kind of a big deal.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 06:49:32 PM by chapman »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 08:43:41 AM »
Still amazed at the PR issues that MU bball brings upon itself. Just think, this entire episode could have been completely avoided. Completely. But then there wouldn't be a controversy. Nice job.
That is what happens when you have a complete turnover in coaching staff and AD. However, you would think MU would of been smart enough to red flag #24 after it happen the first time. Crean said 24 was in the list of available numbers given to the players to pick from. Essentially Crean was saying it was not his fault. You can believe that, if you want to. Some how Thompson's number got back on the list of available numbers. I sure Wojo did not know, but I think he should of known. How many recruits has he talked to about MU history. How many recruits did he point out the retired jerseys to that are both hanging in the Al and the US Cellular Arena. I am sure he has met George Thompson and should of known how he is revered by the older set of fans.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 08:48:30 AM »
That is what happens when you have a complete turnover in coaching staff and AD. However, you would think MU would of been smart enough to red flag #24 after it happen the first time. Crean said 24 was in the list of available numbers given to the players to pick from. Essentially Crean was saying it was not his fault. You can believe that, if you want to. Some how Thompson's number got back on the list of available numbers. I sure Wojo did not know, but I think he should of known. How many recruits has he talked to about MU history. How many recruits did he point out the retired jerseys to that are both hanging in the Al and the US Cellular Arena. I am sure he has met George Thompson and should of known how he is revered by the older set of fans.

Is he recruiting for UWM too???

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 08:56:17 AM »
Why do they continue make poor PR decisions? First class organizations learn from past mistakes and I hope someday the MU athletic department does as well.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 08:56:33 AM »
I thought Diener called Thompson and got the okay?  Was that BS or did the MU admin over-rule Travis & George?
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 09:12:54 AM »
Why do they continue make poor PR decisions? First class organizations learn from past mistakes and I hope someday the MU athletic department does as well.

This is why we will never be a blue blood
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 09:20:45 AM »
Crean said 24 was in the list of available numbers given to the players to pick from. Essentially Crean was saying it was not his fault. You can believe that, if you want to.

Watch a Tom Crean press conference after every loss - essentially saying it's not his fault (team was well prepared, had the right game plan, etc.) is what he does.

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 09:34:43 AM »

The only place this is a PR issue is on this board.  99% of the Marquette community has no idea the number was assigned, and nobody else will care by the time midnight madness rolls around with the exception of a few on the boards.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 09:38:01 AM »
The only place this is a PR issue is on this board.  99% of the Marquette community has no idea the number was assigned, and nobody else will care by the time midnight madness rolls around with the exception of a few on the boards.

So 99% of the MU community does not read the JS? because it was a front page story the other day.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:43:51 AM by hairy worthen »

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 09:42:37 AM »
I still like the way UNC and Duke handle it.

If you are a national player of the year, you get your number retired, nobody wears it again.  UNC has 8 such numbers.

If you are not a national player of the year, then you get your jersey honored and hung in the rafters, but the number goes back into circulation.  UNC has 47 such examples.

That would provide for players like McNeal to be honored, but leave the 22 in the rotation.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 09:53:06 AM »
I don't know George T, but he has to let this go in my opinion and should strongly consider allowing his number to be used.  Maybe the policy should be to do so only if he talks to the player to wear the number and agrees to do so.  There are only so many numbers.

The PR blunder is a minor one.  And it shows what happens when the collective knowledge of an institution changes.  The people in charge have no idea what happened 10 years ago and most likely assumed that the number wasn't retired.  But, they at least quickly undid any potential damage. 

Hopefully Wojo and George T can talk this out.  I would think it would be an honor to have the right kind of player, with good character wear one's number, as long as they fulfill the character requirement. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 09:57:07 AM »
Ziggy

More comments on JS article yesterday than almost any JS article on MU ball this year.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 10:07:28 AM »
Ziggy

More comments on JS article yesterday than almost any JS article on MU ball this year.

And the radio guys (Belling/Sykes) used it to again mock the PR problems at Marquette.
Ludum habemus.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 10:09:53 AM »
The only place this is a PR issue is on this board.  99% of the Marquette community has no idea the number was assigned, and nobody else will care by the time midnight madness rolls around with the exception of a few on the boards.

I got more calls / texts / emails from my non MU fans yesterday about this than I have since Buzz quit.  This hit nearly every sports talk show yesterday and was on top of JSOnline.

This a big deal and an incredibly stupid deal.

And for those of you who think George should get over it, well why shouldn't Wade or Doc.  Let's hand out their numbers too.

MU slaps Al's name and image on every G'D thing they can.  If you're going to do that, then you better show some respect to Al's favorite player, the one who proverbially "paved his driveway".   This is unreal to me.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 10:15:48 AM »
I don't get the "there are only so many numbers" argument. 

They only need to use 15 at a time, which means at present the have 24 numbers to use without touching the retired ones.  That would seem to be plenty.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 10:25:45 AM »

The 1st thing I heard from my boss (UW grad) this morning was him laughing at this and then sending me an email with this which I had to google before I believed it:
MADISON - The University of Wisconsin produced the highest multiyear Academic Progress Rate (APR) of any FBS football team in the country according to an NCAA report released on Wednesday. UW’s APR was 998, coming in ahead of Northwestern (992), Duke (992), Michigan (990) and Stanford (987).

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 10:27:11 AM »
I got more calls / texts / emails from my non MU fans yesterday about this than I have since Buzz quit.  This hit nearly every sports talk show yesterday and was on top of JSOnline.

It was a slow sports day yesterday.  They had to fill the air/paper with something.  This "PR Issue" will be properly forgotten as soon as there is another headline.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 10:53:27 AM »
I think the number/jersey retirement argument is a joke.  I really don't care what number a player wore during his career. 

GT and those up in arms over this, need to get a life and get over it. 

He was a great player and ambassador for Marquette.  Awesome!!  He was recognized for his achievements.  Him.  George Thompson, the player, the man, not some stupid number.  Get over it. 

If someone wants number 24 or 3 or 31 or whatever.  Great.  Give it to them.  I don't see the big deal. 

Imagine if some once in a generation recruit wanted to come to Marquette and his name was George Thompson.  Would we tell him to go away because we once had a George Thompson at Marquette and he was the end all be all to all the George Thompsons of the world, at least Marquette world, so now change your name or just go away...shoo. 

As usual, making a mountain out of a mole hill.   

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2015, 11:06:11 AM »

I'm hear ya ... but other than about 7 people on this board, no one else cares.  It will be forgotten by dinner.