[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by tower912
[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bulls fire Thibodeau, will Hoiberg be next coach?  (Read 24774 times)

GOO

• All American
Re: Bulls fire Thibodeau, will Hoiberg be next coach?
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 10:03:40 AM »
Actually a pet peeve of mine is that most of these guys coming out of high school say they can play down a position or two.  There are probably about 1/3 go guys who think they can play point and they can't.  It is so common.  When I see he can play 1-4, I take that as he will be a 2 or 3 or maybe a 4.  Probably a 3.  If the same came from Wojo, and not the players side, I'd give it a lot more value.

I have no idea on Coffey, and maybe he develops into a point or can play the point.  But I am always skeptical when I hear from the players side that they can play point when they are not the primary point in high school.

For Haanif, we shall see.  Wojo has said he can play some point.  I take that at face value at this point, but wouldn't expect him to be a natural point guard or the preferred option.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2015, 11:24:22 AM »
If Coffey wants to come here, I promise a scholarship will present itself. Rowsey signing here has zero impact on Coffey's recruitment.

I don't think that HaywardsHeros really thinks that Coffey is less likely to come here because of Rowsey.  He just really doesn't like Rowsey as a player and this is another chance to say that signing Rowsey was a mistake. 
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2015, 11:57:30 AM »
I don't think that HaywardsHeros really thinks that Coffey is less likely to come here because of Rowsey.  He just really doesn't like Rowsey as a player and this is another chance to say that signing Rowsey was a mistake. 

+10
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2015, 12:30:48 PM »
If Coffey wants to come here, I promise a scholarship will present itself. Rowsey signing here has zero impact on Coffey's recruitment.

That's not what I'm saying though. I know Coffey will get a spot(I mean we still have 1 schollie anyways).

But that means someone currently leaves or we don't get Kostas/Washington. I for one like every player on our roster right now and I'd rather not bank on them leaving.

Also as I've said its the position thing.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2015, 12:34:13 PM »
You missed the point of my post. Nowhere did I compare Coffey to those players. The comparison is that what a player and his dad think his position should be and what it will actually be isn't the same.

I can't count how many people said Looney was a 2, that anyone recruiting him as a 4 shouldn't bother. So what happens when he gets to UCLA? He plays the 4 like everyone knew he would. Coffey will be the same. They can hem and haw about wanting him to play the 1, but when he gets to college, he'll be a 2/3, and my sneaking suspicion is that it'll be more 3 than 2.

That's just the reality of being 6'7". Unless you go to Kentucky where they have a bigger roster than NBA teams, guys' positions are determined as much by their size as their skillset.

But Coffey has always been a guard. The other two have not. He knows that his NBA prospects will be contingent on his guard ability. The guy is very clearly a guard. Now maybe he agrees to mostly play the 3 for a school he desires(hopefully us). But what him and his dad "want" is a legit desires. Not some Maymon family delusion.

Also, you can compare the basketball background between the two fathers. I think Coffeys dad knows what he's doing. They have been really good throughout the process.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2015, 12:34:50 PM »

Yep. One has to assume there will be always be a  transfer somewhere in the mix.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2015, 01:12:28 PM »
When did MU become involved with Coffey?  Were we in on him when Bert was here, or was it Wojo?  Was Wojo already recruiting him when he was still an assistant at Duke?  Does he have a timetable for when he would like to commit by or when he will be making his visits?

Also, when is Washington's visit?  Next weekend?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2015, 01:49:08 PM »
That's not what I'm saying though. I know Coffey will get a spot(I mean we still have 1 schollie anyways).

But that means someone currently leaves or we don't get Kostas/Washington. I for one like every player on our roster right now and I'd rather not bank on them leaving.

We can get Coffey and Washington. Someone will leave. They always do. Whether it's Henry 1 and done or a transfer, there will be someone leaving the roster. If we should have learned anything the past 10 years, it's that a scholarship will always open up.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2015, 02:01:28 PM »
When did MU become involved with Coffey?  Were we in on him when Bert was here, or was it Wojo?  Was Wojo already recruiting him when he was still an assistant at Duke?  Does he have a timetable for when he would like to commit by or when he will be making his visits?

Washington's visit is next weekend.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2015, 02:02:12 PM »
We can get Coffey and Washington. Someone will leave. They always do. Whether it's Henry 1 and done or a transfer, there will be someone leaving the roster. If we should have learned anything the past 10 years, it's that a scholarship will always open up.

Exactly. Get 'em both.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2015, 03:04:15 PM »

Him and his dad have said that a commitment could come early on but speculation is he may be waiting to see if UNC has a spark in their interest.

Best bet would be in the fall. He may decide he doesn't want to wait any longer and do it this summer but I'm going into it expecting fall.

Highly doubt he waits til the later signing period.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2015, 03:12:24 PM »

Also Kostas? Hard to let that unreal potential leave your back yard.

And I just don't like banking on anyone leaving. And I know it's hard to know what a college player is thinking but most don't even make sense to leave unless it's Henry(please stay 2).

Luke and Duane and Wally(maybe he quits bball)no chance. JJJ virtually no chance of pulling a Steve. If he stayed this year when everyone was sure he would bolt. Sandy unless he really hates his role I don't see bailing home.

Haanif, Matt and Traci would have to hate it here. Two of them are going to get minutes right off the bat(Traci a ton) and Matt has no current competition for back up/starter when Luke leaves.

Sacar is the obvious candidate. But I'd like to think he expects PT to be hard to come by to start based on who recruited him and his late blossom.

Crazy things happen. But for once I see a roster next year where all have a pretty defined role.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2015, 03:14:13 PM »

I think the jury is still out on him.  Let's see how the summer goes. 

thehammock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2015, 03:31:08 PM »
Sounds like Kostas has a long ways to go. Perhaps he does a year of prep school and reclassifies for '17.

brandx

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2015, 03:35:15 PM »
Him and his dad have said that a commitment could come early on but speculation is he may be waiting to see if UNC has a spark in their interest.

Best bet would be in the fall. He may decide he doesn't want to wait any longer and do it this summer but I'm going into it expecting fall.

Highly doubt he waits til the later signing period.

There may be a slight problem in UNC's future that will affect their ability to get top recruits.

Tums Festival

• All American
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2015, 08:12:20 AM »
But Coffey has always been a guard. The other two have not. He knows that his NBA prospects will be contingent on his guard ability. The guy is very clearly a guard. Now maybe he agrees to mostly play the 3 for a school he desires(hopefully us). But what him and his dad "want" is a legit desires. Not some Maymon family delusion.

I'm not trying to compare Coffey's dad to Tim Maymon, but let's be honest, at 6'7" he can play the 2 or 3 and it won't hinder his NBA chances. Jimmy played the 4 and it didn't hurt him. As has been often said, you are who you guard. Coffey will usually be guarding guys playing the 3/4 in college. On our roster, I'd assume he would usually be out there with some combination of Duane, Traci, Cheatham, Anim, Sandy, Rowsey, and Hauser. Coffey will play some guard, but for at least his first two years, barring transfer, that's over 50% of the roster.

If he comes here, it will be primarily as a 3. If that impacts his decision, so be it.

And I just don't like banking on anyone leaving. And I know it's hard to know what a college player is thinking but most don't even make sense to leave unless it's Henry(please stay 2).

Luke and Duane and Wally(maybe he quits bball)no chance. JJJ virtually no chance of pulling a Steve. If he stayed this year when everyone was sure he would bolt. Sandy unless he really hates his role I don't see bailing home.

Haanif, Matt and Traci would have to hate it here. Two of them are going to get minutes right off the bat(Traci a ton) and Matt has no current competition for back up/starter when Luke leaves.

Sacar is the obvious candidate. But I'd like to think he expects PT to be hard to come by to start based on who recruited him and his late blossom.

Crazy things happen. But for once I see a roster next year where all have a pretty defined role.

Bottom line, Rowsey is here. Washington visits next weekend. We have one opening for 2016. And 60% of our active 2015-16 roster has never played a competitive minute of basketball for Marquette. There is absolutely no sense speculating on transfers. If Washington fills the last '16 opening, so be it.

If that means we lose Coffey or Kostas, oh well.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2015, 08:24:26 AM »
I'm not trying to compare Coffey's dad to Tim Maymon, but let's be honest, at 6'7" he can play the 2 or 3 and it won't hinder his NBA chances. Jimmy played the 4 and it didn't hurt him. As has been often said, you are who you guard. Coffey will usually be guarding guys playing the 3/4 in college. On our roster, I'd assume he would usually be out there with some combination of Duane, Traci, Cheatham, Anim, Sandy, Rowsey, and Hauser. Coffey will play some guard, but for at least his first two years, barring transfer, that's over 50% of the roster.

If he comes here, it will be primarily as a 3. If that impacts his decision, so be it.

Bottom line, Rowsey is here. Washington visits next weekend. We have one opening for 2016. And 60% of our active 2015-16 roster has never played a competitive minute of basketball for Marquette. There is absolutely no sense speculating on transfers. If Washington fills the last '16 opening, so be it.

If that means we lose Coffey or Kostas, oh well.

+1.  This isn't fantasy basketball.  We're talking about real people here.  Be thrilled if Washington commits.  And we keep actively recruiting Coffey and Kostas to a lesser extent.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2015, 10:45:16 AM »

Don't need to bank on it. It will happen.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2015, 02:01:31 PM »
Sounds like Hoiberg to the Bulls is immanent:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/12978240/chicago-bulls-confident-fred-hoiberg-accept-head-coach-offer

NBC sports update just said Hoiberg is expected to take the Bulls job.

Tim Floyd v2.0?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2015, 03:04:35 PM »
NBC sports update just said Hoiberg is expected to take the Bulls job.

Tim Floyd v2.0?

Simply because he coached at ISU?  Or do you have something more substantive reason to compare them.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2015, 05:17:14 PM »

Simply because he coached at ISU?  Or do you have something more substantive reason to compare them.

One other thing they have in common is that they were both good friends with the Bulls GM at the time of their hiring.  (assuming Hoiberg gets hired)
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2015, 05:54:28 PM »

Jerry Krause hired Forman when he hired Tim Floyd.  Forman recruited and coached The Mayor at ISU.  Forman is a ten on the Squirm-O-Meter. Michael Reinsdorf should have cleared the decks of this dysfunctional crew although I have hope for Fred the in the NBA as he is a players' coach in a players' league. Gar/Pax are on the clock.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2015, 06:55:11 PM »
Jerry Krause hired Forman when he hired Tim Floyd.  Forman recruited and coached The Mayor at ISU.  Forman is a ten on the Squirm-O-Meter. Michael Reinsdorf should have cleared the decks of this dysfunctional crew although I have hope for Fred the in the NBA as he is a players' coach in a players' league. Gar/Pax are on the clock.

I said Tim Floyd 2.0 because most college coaches that jump to the big chair without having any NBA coaching experience do poorly.  

Who made the jump from college (with no previous NBA experience) and did well?  The list that did not do well is very long (including Floyd, Cal and Pitino)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 07:02:35 PM by Heisenberg »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2015, 07:16:14 PM »
I said Tim Floyd 2.0 because most college coaches that jump to the big chair without having any NBA coaching experience do poorly. 

Who made the jump from college (with no previous NBA experience) and did well?  The list that did not do well is very long (including Floyd, Cal and Pitino)

In the past 20 years, the only college coaches to make the jump to the NBA and make the playoffs are PJ Carlesimo and Brad Stevens.

feedback