[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Do you have a problem with #24 being reissued?

Yes. It's retired and should stay retired.
84 (39.3%)
Maybe. Numbers should not be reissued for National Player of the Year winners.
20 (9.3%)
No.  Let anyone use any number. The hung banners honor the players.
110 (51.4%)

Total Members Voted: 213

Voting closed: June 26, 2015, 09:51:32 AM

Author Topic: Freshmen starting to arrive - Anim to wear #2, Cheatham to wear #24  (Read 63297 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Freshmen starting to arrive - Anim to wear #2, Cheatham to wear #24
« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2015, 12:32:08 PM »
And have 23 NFL HOFers to go with those 13 championships.  The 6th number gets retired next season with Favre meaning that exactly 25% achieved the higher honor (when Favre too gets inducted).  I know that the Packers are possibly the most conservative organization in professional sports as the Yankees have retired 20, the Celtics 21, and the Bears 14 (representing more than 50% of their HOFers.)

I'm all for a two tier approach going forward.

#5 has been unofficially retired by the Packers as well since Hornung retired in 1967.

Forrest Gregg actually brought it out of "retirement" to great controversy when he acquired Vince Ferragamo.  It hasn't been used since.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #176 on: May 30, 2015, 05:07:35 PM »
I had to look this up...the 61-62 expansion Chicago Packers of the NBA. You had me going there.

There's another team calling themselves the Packers other than the Chicago Packers?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #177 on: May 31, 2015, 08:55:19 PM »

#5 has been unofficially retired by the Packers as well since Hornung retired in 1967.

Forrest Gregg actually brought it out of "retirement" to great controversy when he acquired Vince Ferragamo.  It hasn't been used since.

It may not be used anymore but it is certainly not retired.  All retired numbers appear in the stadium.  #5 is not among them.  But I agree that they probably won't reissue it in our lifetime.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #178 on: May 31, 2015, 09:01:27 PM »
It may not be used anymore but it is certainly not retired.  All retired numbers appear in the stadium.  #5 is not among them.  But I agree that they probably won't reissue it in our lifetime.

That is why I said "unofficially."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #179 on: June 01, 2015, 06:39:27 PM »
Our son had an opportunity to meet and chat with Sacar and Traci yesterday.  Described them as nice young guys excited to be on campus.  Their only complaint, limited summer food choices and a too quiet campus.  He assured both that things will pick up in August. 

Hopefully the Frosh group will bond.  Hey guys, make sure Coach Wojo let's you hit Summerfest.  See you at the BBQ.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #180 on: June 01, 2015, 06:52:06 PM »
Glow, have your kid take them to RC.  Problem solved.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #181 on: June 03, 2015, 12:14:20 AM »
Glow, have your kid take them to RC.  Problem solved.
You all have to stop these abbreviations...who the hell is RC?

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #182 on: June 03, 2015, 12:33:02 AM »
Can someone please tell me what "Retiring a Jersey" means?  You retire a number, it is NEVER worn again.  What the hell is retiring a jersey?  "Thompson's jersey is retired."...well no kidding, he's not playing there any more!  Bart Miller's jersey is retired, too, as far as I'm concerned.  Maybe it means just a select few get their likeness on a banner hanging at the BC.  But then don't put their number on the banner.  In fact, don't hang any banners of players at all unless you RETIRE THEIR NUMBER.  Retire their jersey...just sounds so stupid!
LOL. Stop it. You want to know what "just sounds so stupid!" ????

This entry you composed may qualify my friend.

I voted Yes to this poll. But no you do not give out a retired number to a new recruit once it is in the rafters.

Of course you are young and you have no connection at all to the Great George Thompson. In fact, I doubt that none of you if not few of you have even seen him play! 

In many sports the players have established the acclaim of the #'s and name on the back of the jersey as much as the name on the front of the jersey.

Now many will debate this and you have many who say, "well, it is not about the name or # 's on the back of the jersey, it matters about the name on the front of the jersey [ie, team name].

And that sounds peachy and rosy and rah rah rah sis boom bah! I can deal with that. . . but some players are so instrumental to that teams success that they transcend that.

But you puzzle me with this post. You don't give out a retired # if indeed it is officially retired or even unofficially. The manager should have know that. . . be contacted to your past glory.

You asking "What does retiring a jersey mean?" is outrageous. It means very much sir...

And unless you are a big time athlete in any sport and not just a fan-student you cannot conceptualize what it means to the one so blest.

It is an HONOR to have your # retired by. Why do I have to waste time telling you that? Come on man!

It means a whole lot. It means respect and it means honor it means pride and it means accomplishment and it means appreciation and success and so much much more . . . etc.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:45:10 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #183 on: June 03, 2015, 06:36:31 AM »
You all have to stop these abbreviations...who the hell is RC?

I don't want to speak for real chili 83, but maybe Real Chili?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #184 on: June 03, 2015, 06:50:43 AM »
Ding ding.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #185 on: June 03, 2015, 11:01:41 AM »
^^^ hahahahaha for some reason I'm really getting a kick out of seeing muhoopsfan getting worked up in all these threads.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #186 on: June 03, 2015, 11:08:28 AM »
^^^ hahahahaha for some reason I'm really getting a kick out of seeing muhoopsfan MHF getting worked up in all these threads.

FIFY

Sharpie

• Team Captain

warriorchick

• All American
Have some patience, FFS.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #189 on: June 03, 2015, 11:42:01 AM »
^^^ hahahahaha for some reason I'm really getting a kick out of seeing muhoopsfan getting worked up in all these threads.

MHF obviously has a broader perspective borne of experience, than you do.  Translation, he's older and seen what George Thompson meant to Al's early success, has seen him play, and has a better appreciation of Thompson's contributions than you do. Me, too.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #190 on: June 03, 2015, 11:58:41 AM »
I hope that's sarcasm because not anywhere or in any post have I mentioned that I don't have a great appreciation for GT, his play, his legendary status as an MU basketball player, or his number.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #191 on: June 03, 2015, 11:59:25 AM »
I hope that's sarcasm because not anywhere or in any post have I mentioned that I don't have a great appreciation for GT, his play, his legendary status as an MU basketball player, or his number.

He was being completely serial.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #192 on: June 03, 2015, 12:09:48 PM »
I do think it's interesting that eight pages and a couple hundred votes into this thread, only a minority (currently 37%) say GT's number should not be used.

Not getting back into right/wrong or good/bad, but a pretty interesting reflection of the thoughts of a group of fans who are hard core enough to hang around a college hoops message board in June....

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #193 on: June 03, 2015, 12:34:48 PM »
It doesn't matter what people on a message board think, what matters is:

A) Former players were told their jersey number was being retired
B) Marquette used to print in their media guides that the jersey numbers were retired

Marquette broke their word / promise to George.  Twice.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #195 on: June 03, 2015, 12:56:12 PM »
It doesn't matter what people on a message board think, what matters is:

A) Former players were told their jersey number was being retired
B) Marquette used to print in their media guides that the jersey numbers were retired

Marquette broke their word / promise to George.  Twice.

Enough with your facts and logic. Facts and logic are irrelevant. What's truth when stacked up against brilliance like "A number is just a number" and "Who is George Thompson?"

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #196 on: June 03, 2015, 02:01:09 PM »
May have been talked about...just curious...any inside info on #'s for the other Frosh? Thanks guys!
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #197 on: June 03, 2015, 02:01:36 PM »

Totally serious.  Are you saying that you were around in the George Thompson era and did see him play?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #198 on: June 03, 2015, 02:06:33 PM »
May have been talked about...just curious...any inside info on #'s for the other Frosh? Thanks guys!

It's mentioned in the other thread, but the roster is updated.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/marq-m-baskbl-mtt.html

Rowsey will be #30.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #199 on: June 03, 2015, 02:13:29 PM »
I do think it's interesting that eight pages and a couple hundred votes into this thread, only a minority (currently 37%) say GT's number should not be used.

Not getting back into right/wrong or good/bad, but a pretty interesting reflection of the thoughts of a group of fans who are hard core enough to hang around a college hoops message board in June....

The 37% probably coincides with the age demo that frequents the board.