[Today at 09:13:49 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Lennys Tap
[Today at 07:56:17 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Do you have a problem with #24 being reissued?

Yes. It's retired and should stay retired.
84 (39.3%)
Maybe. Numbers should not be reissued for National Player of the Year winners.
20 (9.3%)
No.  Let anyone use any number. The hung banners honor the players.
110 (51.4%)

Total Members Voted: 213

Voting closed: June 26, 2015, 09:51:32 AM

Author Topic: Freshmen starting to arrive - Anim to wear #2, Cheatham to wear #24  (Read 63325 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Freshmen starting to arrive - Anim to wear #2, Cheatham to wear #24
« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2015, 09:14:09 PM »
My source now tells me George won the rap battle vs Drake:

You Clearly Canadian while I'm Original New York
Seltzer bubble up every time I go to work
My moves are so sweet, just call me cream soda
Homer tell these fools, I'm more Brute Force than Yoda

Haanif wear 24?  Nah, that I gotta nix
Now I'm seeing ghosts again like it's 2006
'Cept Wojo ain't tan and he don't know karate
And what's this about Diener?  He never tried to call me

Now tell Haanif his choice
If he wants to stay alive
When I say it, heed my voice
Wear number 25 (drops the mic...)

"Work" and "York" don't rhyme where I come from, ai'na?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2015, 09:29:17 PM »

F#cking hilarious!

Death on call

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #153 on: May 28, 2015, 10:25:50 PM »
Back to the original post... Haanif will wear #25 next season- https://twitter.com/MarquetteMBB/status/604031669008515072

But did the staff talk to Marquette great Steve Taylor Jr. about using his former number?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

classof2k

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #154 on: May 28, 2015, 10:31:48 PM »
Gail Pudvan, so hot! Want to touch the heine, ai na?

Way before my time, but has Gail made the cut for the meme tournament yet?  I swear that name comes up about a dozen times a year and half this place loses their minds.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 10:43:23 PM by classof2k »

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #155 on: May 28, 2015, 10:55:49 PM »
But did the staff talk to Marquette great Steve Taylor Jr. about using his former number?

Did anyone talk to DWade?  It was his number freshmen year.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #156 on: May 29, 2015, 06:29:40 AM »

Lazar? Is that you?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #157 on: May 29, 2015, 07:11:37 AM »
Way before my time, but has Gail made the cut for the meme tournament yet?  I swear that name comes up about a dozen times a year and half this place loses their minds.

Think of Farrah Fawcett with knockers, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #158 on: May 29, 2015, 07:29:12 AM »
"Work" and "York" don't rhyme where I come from, ai'na?

They do where George comes from, ai'na?

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #159 on: May 29, 2015, 08:01:58 AM »
We all agree too many numbers have been retired, and that the criteria to retire jerseys is too arbitrary. The solution is simple, if an "honored" jersey is used, put a patch on it with the former player's name. Right now, nobody outside of MU fans know whose jerseys are honored. But if you go with that system, and a Marquette player is shooting a free throw on national TV/NCAA Tournament, you'll have thousands of people going "Oh yeah, George Thompson/Doc Rivers/Earl Tatum played for Marquette." It also connects the past and the future and avoids situations like these in the future.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #160 on: May 29, 2015, 08:03:58 AM »
We all agree too many numbers have been retired, and that the criteria to retire jerseys is too arbitrary. The solution is simple, if an "honored" jersey is used, put a patch on it with the former player's name. Right now, nobody outside of MU fans know whose jerseys are honored. But if you go with that system, and a Marquette player is shooting a free throw on national TV/NCAA Tournament, you'll have thousands of people going "Oh yeah, George Thompson/Doc Rivers/Earl Tatum played for Marquette." It also connects the past and the future and avoids situations like these in the future.

But really, no one outside of Marquette and old, hard core fans even know who George Thompson and Earl Tatum are.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #161 on: May 29, 2015, 08:20:13 AM »
Maybe too many numbers have been retired and maybe we should go toward honoring but the simple matter is nearly every sports team in America retires numbers.   When assigning numbers to new players, it probably should strike someone to say, I wonder if that number has been retired.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #162 on: May 29, 2015, 08:40:03 AM »
Maybe too many numbers have been retired and maybe we should go toward honoring but the simple matter is nearly every sports team in America retires numbers.   When assigning numbers to new players, it probably should strike someone to say, I wonder if that number has been retired.

True, but many of the teams that retire numbers are FAR more selective than MU has been.  For example, the Packers have won 13(?) NFL Championships, but have retired only 5 numbers to date.  Don't know exactly what criteria they apply, but it's a lot easier to restrict future use if the decision makers exercise some restraint.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #163 on: May 29, 2015, 08:58:12 AM »
True, but many of the teams that retire numbers are FAR more selective than MU has been.  For example, the Packers have won 13(?) NFL Championships, but have retired only 5 numbers to date.  Don't know exactly what criteria they apply, but it's a lot easier to restrict future use if the decision makers exercise some restraint.

NFL teams have to be very careful about retiring too many numbers, as they have 55 or so active players on the roster.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #164 on: May 29, 2015, 09:03:11 AM »

What's done is done.  For those who have been retired, they should continue to honor them and not allow the jerseys to be worn (unless, of course, the player comes to them and says it's OK -- which won't happen).  I do agree they need some clear criteria going forward.  They've got 27 numbers to work with.  They need a criteria that will be rare enough that it's unlikely to lead to too many more.  Perhaps first team AA, but even that could lead to problems given enough time.  I think that UNC's "player of the year" criteria is good, but perhaps a little too stringent for Marquette.

And I'm honestly not sure they could use patches like you suggested.  I wonder if there are rules that require all uniforms to be...well...uniform.  I'm not sure if players can have different patches on their uniforms.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #165 on: May 29, 2015, 09:05:35 AM »

It doesn't matter.  Let's say we only retired Bo Ellis and of course Dwyane Wade, you still would expect an equipment manager to cross reference that retired list.  It should not be this hard.  One way to prevent getting shot, is to not shoot yourself.  Marquette seems to inflict more damage upon themselves than any other program I follow.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2015, 09:22:21 AM »
Off topic a bit but if little Wade were to come here would we allow him to wear 3?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #167 on: May 29, 2015, 09:27:42 AM »
It doesn't matter.  Let's say we only retired Bo Ellis and of course Dwyane Wade, you still would expect an equipment manager to cross reference that retired list.  It should not be this hard.  One way to prevent getting shot, is to not shoot yourself.  Marquette seems to inflict more damage upon themselves than any other program I follow.

This. Every frickin' guy who posts on Scoop knew this could be a problem the minute the news was released that Hanif was wearing #24 but nobody working at Marquette did? Incredible.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #168 on: May 29, 2015, 09:31:30 AM »
This. Every frickin' guy who posts on Scoop knew this could be a problem the minute the news was released that Hanif was wearing #24 but nobody working at Marquette did? Incredible.

Geez, pick your battles, man.

It was a mistake that, while high-profile, was easily corrected, and it's extremely unlikely it will ever be repeated.

I don't know why Marquette went to all the effort to hire Wojo when apparently, there are dozens of people on this board who could run the basketball program so much better.
Have some patience, FFS.

mujersey

• Walk-On
« Reply #169 on: May 29, 2015, 09:37:38 AM »
Can someone please tell me what "Retiring a Jersey" means?  You retire a number, it is NEVER worn again.  What the hell is retiring a jersey?  "Thompson's jersey is retired."...well no kidding, he's not playing there any more!  Bart Miller's jersey is retired, too, as far as I'm concerned.  Maybe it means just a select few get their likeness on a banner hanging at the BC.  But then don't put their number on the banner.  In fact, don't hang any banners of players at all unless you RETIRE THEIR NUMBER.  Retire their jersey...just sounds so stupid!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #170 on: May 29, 2015, 09:38:10 AM »
It was a mistake that, while high-profile, was easily corrected, and it's extremely unlikely it will ever be repeated.

Gotta admit that is what I thought when it happened in 2006.

But, I agree...it's honestly not that big of a deal.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #171 on: May 29, 2015, 10:27:55 AM »
So much butt hurt over this, within my lifetime, someone will wear #24, unless they officially retire that number.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 10:31:40 AM by PTM »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #172 on: May 29, 2015, 11:18:55 AM »

I rather doubt Nike ships Marquette a box with jerseys numbered 1-55 so that the equipment manager is simply handing them out and yelling, "Next!"

Death on call

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #173 on: May 29, 2015, 11:23:23 AM »
True, but many of the teams that retire numbers are FAR more selective than MU has been.  For example, the Packers have won 13(?) NFL Championships, but have retired only 5 numbers to date.  Don't know exactly what criteria they apply, but it's a lot easier to restrict future use if the decision makers exercise some restraint.

And have 23 NFL HOFers to go with those 13 championships.  The 6th number gets retired next season with Favre meaning that exactly 25% achieved the higher honor (when Favre too gets inducted).  I know that the Packers are possibly the most conservative organization in professional sports as the Yankees have retired 20, the Celtics 21, and the Bears 14 (representing more than 50% of their HOFers.)

I'm all for a two tier approach going forward.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:28:17 AM by jsglow »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #174 on: May 29, 2015, 12:24:31 PM »

THIS!!!!!

It is not that difficult, but for some at MU it seems to be.

feedback