Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Do you have a problem with #24 being reissued?

Yes. It's retired and should stay retired.
84 (39.3%)
Maybe. Numbers should not be reissued for National Player of the Year winners.
20 (9.3%)
No.  Let anyone use any number. The hung banners honor the players.
110 (51.4%)

Total Members Voted: 213

Voting closed: June 26, 2015, 09:51:32 AM

Author Topic: Freshmen starting to arrive - Anim to wear #2, Cheatham to wear #24  (Read 63339 times)

slack00

• Starter
http://www.anonymouseagle.com/2015/5/27/8663217/marquette-basketball-sacar-anim-haanif-cheatham-george-thompson-lazar-hayward

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I have no problem with Cheatham wearing Thompson's #24.  I'm too young to have watched him play so for me someone else wearing #24 brings Thompson's accomplishments back to the forefront.

chapman

• All American
I'm all for retiring jerseys, not numbers.  Though it's not that difficult to find another number to avoid the retired ones, at least while there's still negative reaction to it being used.  I hope they ran it by GT and didn't make the same mistake nine years later.

The Lens

• All American
George Thompson is Marquette Basketball and is Al McGuire Basketball.  If you are going to put Al on your jersey, trumpet that you play on the Al McGuire Court, practice in the Al McGuire Center and have an annual Al's night, I would hope you would clear with Brute Force the "unretiring" of his number.

I was born in 1975 but in my opinion, no one means more to MU hoops as a player, not Bo, not Butch, not Dwyane,
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
The number belong to George Thompson who is the "godfather" of all that is modern Marquette Basketball.
It was retired and should stay retired. To "recycle" it cheapens the tradition of the program.

Have you seen any NY Yankee wearing number 3?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Did somebody talk to George about this? There was little doubt Lazar was given the number by Crean out of spite (Crean also orchestrated his ouster from the booth).

How would people feel if #3 or #15 were re issued? I don't understand why it always seems to be #24.

The Lens

• All American
Let me also add, that I have been very impressed with how Wojo incorporates the past by listing every player who wore that number, in the current player's locker.  More than with TC or Buzz, I would think Wojo handled this correctly.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

warriorchick

• All American
Let me also add, that I have been very impressed with how Wojo incorporates the past by listing every player who wore that number, in the current player's locker.  More than with TC or Buzz, I would think Wojo handled this correctly.

I can totally picture Wojo handing out that #24 uni and as Haanif reaches out to take it, Wojo pulls it back, leans over, pauses, looks him straight in the eye, and says, "You better damn well do this jersey proud."
Have some patience, FFS.

DienerTime34

• All American
Anon Eagle makes a good point when he says 25% of jersey numbers available at Marquette have been retired. That's ridiculous. Retiring so many makes it lose its value.

Here's an idea: Do what Michigan football does. If a player wears a jersey that is honored, they also wear a small patch with the name of the former player. Very cool from a tradition and marketing standpoint. The school also connects the current player with the honored one, and acts as a mentor.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Anon Eagle makes a good point when he says 25% of jersey numbers available at Marquette have been retired. That's ridiculous. Retiring so many makes it lose its value.

Thanks Crean! And can we stop the ridiculousness and unretire #11?

GGGG

• All American
Retire certain numbers that should never be worn again.

3 - Wade
15 - Lee
24 - Thompson
31 - Ellis

The rest are jerseys that can be honored at a much lower standard.  That standard could include people like Jerel McNeal, Wes Matthews, Jae Crowder, Jimmy Butler, Tony Smith, etc.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Freshmen starting to arrive - Anim to wear #2, Cheatham to wear #24
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 10:49:02 AM »
Retire certain numbers that should never be worn again.

3 - Wade
15 - Lee
24 - Thompson
31 - Ellis

The rest are jerseys that can be honored at a much lower standard.  That standard could include people like Jerel McNeal, Wes Matthews, Jae Crowder, Jimmy Butler, Tony Smith, etc.

I'd keep 77 retired, as well.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 11:03:57 AM »
I think Haanif won't be stranger to what the number means. I don't know this for sure by any means but Wojo just seems like the type of guy who would do a hour crash course on MU Basketball history. Like a super version of that remember the Titans video.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 11:04:31 AM »
I'd keep 77 retired, as well.

Not a number that can legally be worn anyway, so I'm fine with it staying retired too!

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 11:05:48 AM »
When is a retired jersey "not" retired?    What does George think about this?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 11:06:02 AM »
What do they do at places like Duke and Kentucky, who have scores of players who are good enough to have their numbers retired (at least in comparison to most other schools)?

Maybe Wojo thinks that in the next couple of decades we are going to have so many great players, we might as well part with tradition now.   ;)
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 11:07:23 AM »
I'm pissed off at this. It's disrespectful, unnecessary, and diminishes the accomplishment, duly earned, of one of our greatest Warriors. There remains a plethora of other numbers to choose. That ass hole Crean started this bullchit and his sorry ass needs to be hung out to dry for it.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 11:10:23 AM »
For all we know they may have asked George for permission.  If he is okay with it, everyone else should be.
Have some patience, FFS.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 11:11:21 AM »
Not a number that can legally be worn anyway, so I'm fine with it staying retired too!

I never knew there was a restriction on what numbers were allowed. I punched some coordinates into the google machine and found this: Legal numbers are: 00, 0-5, 10-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45, 50-55. Team rosters may not include both 0, and 00. Members of the same team can not use the same number.

What is the point of that?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 11:15:12 AM »
The 3 blind mice can't handle a more complicated system, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

uncle zeffy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 11:15:59 AM »
I never knew there was a restriction on what numbers were allowed. I punched some coordinates into the google machine and found this: Legal numbers are: 00, 0-5, 10-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45, 50-55. Team rosters may not include both 0, and 00. Members of the same team can not use the same number.

to make it easy on the ref. they can easily tell the scoreboard foul on whatever player by holding up their fingers

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 11:17:26 AM »
to make it easy on the ref. they can easily tell the scoreboard foul on whatever player by holding up their fingers

Yep.  I have seen someone get a technical foul for wearing jersey #17.  Why her school would even print a jersey like that is a mystery.
Have some patience, FFS.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 11:18:53 AM »

Ah yes. I remember the near collapse of numerous NBA officials when calling a foul on Rodman.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 11:19:04 AM »
It's just a number.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 11:20:33 AM »
In all fairness he lead us to two ncaa appearances and an NIT finals appearance. I think he was great and on the ground floor of the modern era of MU basketball. But did he give us much more than someone like Jerel McNeal? Both all time scorers after leaving, both lead us to great success but no championships or final fours. Didn't exactly have a massively productive professional career where we'd retire him for that (Rivers) I just kind of think if we're going to retire numbers they should have gotten us a final four at least.

It's not like it's Wade.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2015, 11:21:03 AM »

College refs use one hand to notify the official scorer of the number of the person fouled.  

NBA refs, because they are more advanced, are able to manage to use both hands without confusion.