[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Recommendations: Cool places in/around Paris/France (incl bordering countries)  (Read 6995 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Thank you in advance.
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Thank you in advance.

France? That place is full of French. No thank you.

Death on call

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
Thank you in advance.

Not too many stamps on the passport, ai'na?

JWags85

• All American
The equivalent of Divvy bikes are only 1-2 Euro a day. Really easy and fun way to see a large portion of the city.  We were only there a day, but grabbed the bikes and saw all the major sites quickly and easily.

Also, the French are often as advertised, but learn a couple French phrases and lead with them, and the effort is appreciated and a good chunk of the frigid nature is mitigated.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
My wife just chaperoned a trip from her high school trip last month titled "From Paris to Berlin".
The tour started in Paris, then Brussels, a quick stop in Cologne and then a train to Berlin.  Since we are in the 100th anniversary block of WWI, on the bus ride to Brussels they stopped at Vimy Ridge (Canadian National Battlefield site, the site tour director was from Canada) as well as the location of where the Armistice to end the war was signed.  She was encouraged as she said the students "got it" and all stated they enjoyed the visit and were thankful the tour visited despite WWI not being a heavy studied high school subject.
She also mentioned her students liked Brussels the best compared with Paris & Berlin.

For the Paris portion, she convinced the tour director to include a visit to Giverny, home of Monet's Garden & Studio as part of the tour.  Something she has been waiting a lifetime for.  Unfortunately it was April, so most plants were not yet in bloom let alone filled with leaves.
The Palace of Versailles is a side trip in itself.  After visiting all I ever thought was "It's good to be the king."  (Mel Brooks reference.)

I've visited Chateaus of the Loire Valley.
I've also been to Normandy, Le Mont St. Michel, St. Malo & Bayeux.

In my experience, I always felt "Americans" confuse / make synonymous "Parisenne" for "French" as Paris is the usually the only place visited and the Parisennes pretty much treat those from outside Paris the same way Americans feel treated. 

Depends what you are looking for.  In Paris, you're really not that far from parts of Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg & Germany.

Tugg Speedman

• All American

+1

A cool place around Paris/France? 

Try England

4everwarriors

• All American
Paris Hilton might be cool to check out, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
Not too many stamps on the passport, ai'na?

Ha ha. Not in a while. Had to get a new passport.
That one had a respectable number.

Going with someone who hasn't been to France before (I've been) and I want to see Normandy.

'Murica.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:04:33 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

77ncaachamps

• All American

I hear that France about this time is swarming with your NW brethren courtesy of Rick Steves.
SS Marquette

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
Ha ha. Not in a while. Had to get a new passport.
That one had a respectable number.

Going with someone who hasn't been to France before (I've been) and I want to see Normandy.

'Murica.

Got it. Couldn't resist... the "bordering countries" part essentially makes the question "is there anywhere cool in Europe?"

I haven't been to Paris in a couple years, but Bourdain just featured the city on a badass episode of the Layover that you can stream on Netflix.

Also, the NYT published this on Sunday:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/05/20/travel/frugal-traveler-in-paris.html?_r=0

Not too far away from Paris:

- I had a frickin' blast in Luxembourg a few years back. Quick train ride from the city; absolutely amazing architecture and a feeling of being off the grid in a major European capital where you won't be surrounded by jorts-wearing Southerners taking iPhone pictures of all the purdy buildings (here's looking at you, Rome).

- unnatural carnal knowledge Brussels. Go to Antwerp or Bruges if you duck into Belgium.

- The high-speed tracks have cut the Paris-Amsterdam train to a bit over three hours; 'bout the same as London. You could base weeks-long vacations out of either city.

- A Paris-Strasbourg train gets you into the Rhine & closer to Germany.

Switzerland & Spain are a bit far afield if your base is in Paris or Normandy on this trip, but if you're dusting off the passport, Lucerne & Barcelona are a couple of my favorites in Europe, for very different reasons.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
I must disagree about Brussels. You can spend a day/night in the old city and get a nice heaping of Belgian culture. And by culture I mean beer and mussels. The Grand Place has to be one of the best plazas in all of Europe.

But really, your search should start and stop at Aix-en-Provence. Take the high-speed rail 3 hours south of Paris and boom, you're in Aix (pronounced "X"). The Impressionists used to ramble through there and for good reason. Stroll through the city and the museums. Bike into the countryside and bring a couple bottles of wine with you. The food, the scenery, the air. You won't regret it.

As for Paris, the newly-reopened Picasso museum is simply spectacular. If you're into it, download the audio guide app ($1.99 I believe) on your phone before you go and it adds a bit of depth to some of works while you're there. The Clos Montmartre vineyard is a pretty cool visit if you're in Monmartre (and you absolutely should be at some point)...it's a tiny vineyard right in the middle of the city. Interesting place. Finally, if you're waiting for a train out of Gare du Nord and need a good restaurant, scope out Chez Casimir nestled down a side street. Cheapish pre-fixe menu including an incredible cheese tray. It's a real find for an area with mostly mediocre restaurants.

Bons voyages.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
I hear that France about this time is swarming with your NW brethren courtesy of Rick Steves.

You mean Comrade Rick??

I hated him for years but when he went recently to Iran and ran that piece on how wonderful the mullahs are he confirmed to many people that he's not just an idiot but a cocksucking one at that.

Death on call

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Museums/sites

Versailles:  Overrated.
Eiffel Tower:  Beat viewed from a distance.
Louvre:  Worth the wait, but skip the Mona Lisa.
Musee d'Orsay:  Underrated.
Buy the Paris Museum Pass before you go or at the airport, and skip the lines.

Food

The best meals come from a boulangerie (any), fromagerie (any) and wine shop (any), and are eaten on a park bench.
The next best meal comes from L'As du Falafel, and is eaten standing in the street after midnight.
If you must go into a restaurant, find one that doesn't have the day's specials written in English out front.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
Willi's Wine Bar and 6 New York are two favorite restaurants of mine in Paris

http://www.6newyork.fr/uk/index.php
http://williswinebar.com/
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
i don't know much about france except their ww II rifles sold for really cheap on e-bay
                          never been fired but dropped-once

and i'd steer clear of the charlie hebdo magazine factory
don't...don't don't don't don't

Benny B

• All American
I don't have a "cool place" recommendation, but I have a "travelling to France" suggestion:

Go to the library, check out a "Basic" or "Conversational French" tutorial on CD, and listen to it in the car for 3-4 weeks before your plane departs.  When I went to France, I conjured up my two years of HS French from 6-7 years prior... I can't imagine how broken my French sounded to the native speakers, but both my girlfriend at the time and I noticed a distinct difference in the way we were treated compared to the Brits around us who insisted on speaking English.

There was one exchange that was distinctly memorable (though still representative of our overall experience in France): the first restaurant we we ate at in France was a place in Calais, and shortly after we ordered, four British pensioners were seated at the table next to ours.  The same waiter tended to them, and we were caught a bit off-guard that not only did the waiter speak perfect English, he was also well-versed in both sarcastic and pejorative English.  The waiter hadn't spoken a word of English to me, I hadn't spoken a word of English to him.  Our service couldn't have been better, but we were both convinced that the old folks would simply get up and walk out with their business, but the Brits must be used to it, because they completely ignored it (or tolerated it) the whole time and didn't budge.  I slipped up on a few words ordering and asking for the check, but he quite politely corrected my French and was very patient with us while he all but pushed the other table out the door after their meal.  He even brought us a cheese course (we ordered a la carte, so this was comped to us) and kindly reminded us that le service est compris (his tip was already included in the price).  My girlfriend and I were nearly in shock at how well we were treated despite obviously being Americans.

We came to find out that French and Americans are quite cognizant of the stereotypes each group has for the other... break down that wall by at least making an attempt to speak their language, and hopefully you'll be surprised at how quickly your host will abandon his/her "typical American" stereotype. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

HouWarrior

• All American
I don't have a "cool place" recommendation, but I have a "travelling to France" suggestion:

Go to the library, check out a "Basic" or "Conversational French" tutorial on CD, and listen to it in the car for 3-4 weeks before your plane departs.  When I went to France, I conjured up my two years of HS French from 6-7 years prior... I can't imagine how broken my French sounded to the native speakers, but both my girlfriend at the time and I noticed a distinct difference in the way we were treated compared to the Brits around us who insisted on speaking English.

There was one exchange that was distinctly memorable (though still representative of our overall experience in France): the first restaurant we we ate at in France was a place in Calais, and shortly after we ordered, four British pensioners were seated at the table next to ours.  The same waiter tended to them, and we were caught a bit off-guard that not only did the waiter speak perfect English, he was also well-versed in both sarcastic and pejorative English.  The waiter hadn't spoken a word of English to me, I hadn't spoken a word of English to him.  Our service couldn't have been better, but we were both convinced that the old folks would simply get up and walk out with their business, but the Brits must be used to it, because they completely ignored it (or tolerated it) the whole time and didn't budge.  I slipped up on a few words ordering and asking for the check, but he quite politely corrected my French and was very patient with us while he all but pushed the other table out the door after their meal.  He even brought us a cheese course (we ordered a la carte, so this was comped to us) and kindly reminded us that le service est compris (his tip was already included in the price).  My girlfriend and I were nearly in shock at how well we were treated despite obviously being Americans.

We came to find out that French and Americans are quite cognizant of the stereotypes each group has for the other... break down that wall by at least making an attempt to speak their language, and hopefully you'll be surprised at how quickly your host will abandon his/her "typical American" stereotype. 

All of this.
I have been to Paris only 6 or 7 times, and my longest stay was only two weeks, but I think I picked up on a few things.
Smile and greet first the person you're dealing with...waiters, clerks, museum gaurds, shopkeepers....always a friendly Bonjour . Even if they did nothing for you always end with a Merci, Merci Boucoup, adieu.
Dress native. No fanny packs, or tennis shoes. A polo,sport jacket (you need the pockets for the stuff you are hauling, anyway), long dark pants, and dark leather walking shoes. An under the shirt  neck pouch wallet secures your passport, credit cards, and emergency money from pick pockets. The Metro is great, but with time always a premium grab a cab for all but longer jaunts, such as to Versailles.
A romantic nighttime walk or ride on the river is great, as is the Eiffel tower, at night. Grab a few iPhone apps on the sights, especially as some of the best are out of the way gardens, shops, cafes museums and neighborhoods.
Get on native time. Get museum passes in advance to avoid daily lines. Remember some of the best of Paris is under your nose. The architecture means stop and admire design and aesthetic. Cross a bridge but note the artwork built right into it. Visit Notre Dame in the evening or Sunday when you can sit and listen to a choir  or concert.  When splurging on a nice meal, plan a long stay, as the french savor and doddle over their many courses. Waiters take your request for their best choices seriously...let them favor you with their skills.
Allow your self at least a day or two with almost nothing planned...just walk and wander, picnic, smile, experience and take it all in ; chances are those days will produce some of the best memories of the city of lights. Enjoy.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
All of this.
I have been to Paris only 6 or 7 times, and my longest stay was only two weeks, but I think I picked up on a few things.
Smile and greet first the person you're dealing with...waiters, clerks, museum gaurds, shopkeepers....always a friendly Bonjour . Even if they did nothing for you always end with a Merci, Merci Boucoup, adieu.
Dress native. No fanny packs, or tennis shoes. A polo,sport jacket (you need the pockets for the stuff you are hauling, anyway), long dark pants, and dark leather walking shoes. An under the shirt  neck pouch wallet secures your passport, credit cards, and emergency money from pick pockets. The Metro is great, but with time always a premium grab a cab for all but longer jaunts, such as to Versailles.
A romantic nighttime walk or ride on the river is great, as is the Eiffel tower, at night. Grab a few iPhone apps on the sights, especially as some of the best are out of the way gardens, shops, cafes museums and neighborhoods.
Get on native time. Get museum passes in advance to avoid daily lines. Remember some of the best of Paris is under your nose. The architecture means stop and admire design and aesthetic. Cross a bridge but note the artwork built right into it. Visit Notre Dame in the evening or Sunday when you can sit and listen to a choir  or concert.  When splurging on a nice meal, plan a long stay, as the french savor and doddle over their many courses. Waiters take your request for their best choices seriously...let them favor you with their skills.
Allow your self at least a day or two with almost nothing planned...just walk and wander, picnic, smile, experience and take it all in ; chances are those days will produce some of the best memories of the city of lights. Enjoy.

Houston just reminded me of two things (besides it helps to speak French, which I do).
* I visited the Jim Morrison grave.  I don't smoke, but my friends and I were lighting cigarettes off of devotion candles fans had left burning around his grave.  It seemed very humorous at the time.  The walk through the cemetery is intriguing.  I recall a giant tomb that read "FAMILLE HOMER" and someone scribbled SIMPSON underneath.

* One visit was in the month of May (and 1990s "pre-internet" so no weather check) and had been hot and shorts weather for weeks in Connecticut, so I packed only a pair of jeans and multiple shorts for a week and half trip to London, Paris & Amsterdam.  London weather was typical cool with occasional rain.  No shorts there.  When I got to Paris, it was finally sunny and warm so I broke the shorts out.  I kept getting asked in English "What time is it?"  I responded in French "Il est....."  I'm guessing, I stood out with the shorts as an American, so it was either some scam that I ruined by replying in French or the French persons were simply looking to practice English.    Maybe there's an answer from the Scoop group?

HouWarrior

• All American
Conneticut,
They were probably hoping you'd say, "I know its time I lose the shorts and dress like vous do". lol

Parisian french snobbery is an art form. I was checking into a hotel, in line behind some Montreal kids who, I thought, were speaking perfect french, when the clerk just looked up, smiled and replied "Sir, you may speak english here" Whoa... the kids just blushed and reverted back to canadian english, ... ok, hey.

My proudest moment was when I was ordering at the Eiffel tower. I was with lots of friends from Univ. of Madrid and we all spoke spanish like natives but only a few ventured to try our broken french. When the waiter got to me I only said, (in my best Maurice Chevallier nasal)... "Un Gran Marnier Cordon Rouge si vous plez (sp?)"   and the waiter replied in french "C'est bien dit, misseur" , which translates roughly to "that was  well said, sir" . I was in heaven having a parisian accept my  efforts, and I relished the Gran Marnier, with a great view.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Benny B

• All American

* One visit was in the month of May (and 1990s "pre-internet" so no weather check) and had been hot and shorts weather for weeks in Connecticut, so I packed only a pair of jeans and multiple shorts for a week and half trip to London, Paris & Amsterdam.  London weather was typical cool with occasional rain.  No shorts there.  When I got to Paris, it was finally sunny and warm so I broke the shorts out.  I kept getting asked in English "What time is it?"  I responded in French "Il est....."  I'm guessing, I stood out with the shorts as an American, so it was either some scam that I ruined by replying in French or the French persons were simply looking to practice English.    Maybe there's an answer from the Scoop group?

I assume those asking you the time were not native English speakers...

If it were any place but Paris, I would say that you were either about to be pickpocketed or being marked for another scam.  But I'm with Houston... the locals were simply having some fun with le bouffon.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
My wife just chaperoned a trip from her high school trip last month titled "From Paris to Berlin".

Historically, most tours go from Berlin to Paris...

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Another Paris rememberence: My friend got the switch out in a wine shop.  He wanted to buy some wine brand bottled in a specific year.  In the store they had what he was looking for and even verified himself.  The clerk went in back to wrap or bag.  Only later back at the hotel he noticed a different year had been whited out and his desired year was cursived in pen over the whiteout.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Historically, most tours go from Berlin to Paris...

The 6 months before the trip I continually asked her if the tour was on the back of a Sherman tank.