[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: golf thread  (Read 7886 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
golf thread
« on: May 24, 2015, 06:27:18 AM »
i'm surprised we haven't had one of these going-it's always fun to hear others golf experiences, whether it's about a decent round, a decent hole, a decent course you've played...wisconsin has quietly nudged itself into the world of pga golf with destination kohler and whistling straits(hosting 2015 pga champioship august 10-16 and the 2020 ryder cup), blackwolf run and the american club.    most recently with the emergence of erin hills which will be hosting 2017 u.s. open. then there are many, many other courses around the state that people like to call "the best", the "most difficult", the "prettiest", etc they have ever golfed. i have, over the past 15 years, been able to experience golf in the southwest-palm springs, northwestern arizona and las vegas.  a whole different world of spectacular experiences in itself.

as long as basketball is still 4-5 months away and as we move deeper into spring/summer, i just thought it would be interesting to hear some good/bad golfing experiences, meeting a pga dude, good clubs, bad clubs, holes in one, two, three...well i think ya'll know what i mean, so let'er rip...FORE

***disclaimer-i'm not really that good(15-16 hdcp)  just adequate enough to be dangerous and provides a great activity to bond with the wife and other couples.  hey, when my wife told me she wanted to take up golf, i cringed for many reasons.  but remember when you had to beg beg beg to get out on weekends with da boys?  since she has taken up golf, and gotten quite adequate at that, she's like seka with a golf club-read "insatiable" for those of you from...but let's leave sex on the golf course for a different thread-heyna?[color=[/color]   
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: golf thread
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 08:58:27 AM »
Why? Who doesn't like playin' the back nine, ai na? BTW, I average 22 putts/round.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 09:29:53 AM »
Why? Who doesn't like playin' the back nine, ai na? BTW, I average 22 putts/round.

So, when you play 18 holes, how many putts do you average on the front nine?
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 10:11:02 AM »

If I could putt like you my handicap would drop from a 12 to 2. How much for a lesson, Doc?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 07:35:44 PM »
wow-surprised we have so few golfers out there-back nine, front nine, middle nine-speaking of playing the back side-there was the story about johnny carson taking to winnie palmer about what she does to arnie's balls before a big match

http://www.golfspelledbackwards.com/2013/09/urban-legend-mrs-palmer-on-tonight-show.html

well snopes and urban legend debunk the story, but then read the comment section of urban legend and there are a number of people commenting that they saw it when it aired...

so, what does this tell us about these "fact" checking sites??  you make the call

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 08:53:25 PM »
Am playing the Northern Bay course with replica holes soon.  Will report back.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 09:29:30 PM »
There was a golf thread, but it went the way of the two iron.

Anyone using a smartphone app as a rangefinder? I'm trying Swing-by-Swing but am concerned about the accuracy of the yardages. Any thoughts on these?

Had an unusual incident this weekend. I drove a short par 4 this weekend for the first time...and promptly 4-putted!  :P :P :P :P (The unusual part was the drive, not the putts!)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 10:04:05 PM »
You braggin' or complainin'?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 05:48:07 AM »
Am playing the Northern Bay course with replica holes soon.  Will report back.

we've played northern bay a few times.  except for it being off the beaten path a little, it's a great golf experience.  the course has always been in excellant condition.  oh, and the replica holes are really cool.  especially the island hole-probably one of the mostrecognized holes on the tour.  then oakmont #3's church pews-do not allow your drive to go left.  they have plaques at each giving you a little history behind each.  i think you'll really enjoy.  we are going back to hit northern bay and wildrock on a weekend romp with a little respit between at ho chunk

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 06:04:12 AM »

Anyone using a smartphone app as a rangefinder? I'm trying Swing-by-Swing but am concerned about the accuracy of the yardages. Any thoughts on these?

Had an unusual incident this weekend. I drove a short par 4 this weekend for the first time...and promptly 4-putted!  :P :P :P :P (The unusual part was the drive, not the putts!)

using a garmin wrist watch-will do 36 holes on one charge.  only gives front-mid-back distances, distance to dogleg or water, has a few other features i don't bother with.  i.e. able to measure your shot.  has some other features that i don't bother with.   

comes fully loaded or capable of recognizing 30-35,000 courses-if i remember correctly, it had 2 of the three courses we played down in punta cana dominican republic.  one of them-corrales-the pebbles beach of the carribean, was out of this world. a tom fazio designed course, we met jay overton-nice guy about half our size but could jack the ball twice as far as us-amazing to watch.  the other was la cana-also a spectacular course, just half a click down from corrales-a very nice pete dye course.  but, our watches worked way down there.  those are bucket-list golf courses though.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 06:06:33 AM »

that's classic-one of the more humbling aspects of golf-just when ya think you've got your swing figured out...the golf gods come to play

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 06:53:05 AM »
Both of my damn shoulders are hurtin', and my left needs surgery.

Haven't played golf since early fall, and I'm bummin'.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 07:11:43 AM »
Both of my damn shoulders are hurtin', and my left needs surgery.

Haven't played golf since early fall, and I'm bummin'.

i feel your pain-my left shoulder feels like a ligament is a little loose from weight training, but don't want to give up the weights.-doesn't hurt during the swing, but have to think it's affecting it a little. sometimes it benefits the swing by slowing it down a little.  i've seen and heard rotator cuff surgery is a beech.  not lifting to become a weener pumper, just that they say better tone increases metabolic rate over fat(of course).  a gentle mix of aerobics and weights just seems right for one in the 50's(age, not golf score).  buying stock in ibuprofen and naproxen for the moment...and looking for a cute physical therapist ;D

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 07:14:09 AM »

try nRange Golf

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 07:46:15 AM »
i feel your pain-my left shoulder feels like a ligament is a little loose from weight training, but don't want to give up the weights.-doesn't hurt during the swing, but have to think it's affecting it a little. sometimes it benefits the swing by slowing it down a little.  i've seen and heard rotator cuff surgery is a beech.  not lifting to become a weener pumper, just that they say better tone increases metabolic rate over fat(of course).  a gentle mix of aerobics and weights just seems right for one in the 50's(age, not golf score).  buying stock in ibuprofen and naproxen for the moment...and looking for a cute physical therapist ;D

MRI shows no rotator tear but the shoulder hasn't responded to P.T. so the doc wants to go in there with a scope, clean out the bursitis and scar tissue, and see if there's something in there that the MRI isn't showing.

Because he doesn't think I will make it any worse by waiting, I basically can choose the timing of the scope. I ump youth baseball and my season still has a few weeks to go, so I'm looking at early July probably.

Fall in NC is beautiful, so maybe I'll be able to golf by then. And hey ... maybe the surgery and the time off will miraculously turn me into a 4 handicap!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2015, 12:51:38 PM »
I started a golf thread a few years ago.   It is accurate to say that it went the way of the 2 iron.   I mentioned I had a hole-in-one earlier this year, it went nowhere.     I am a passionate golfer, an 8 handicap and am leaving tomorrow for 3 days at the Treetops resort in northern Michigan.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 01:00:21 PM »
I feel your pain 451. Had a hole-in-one once at Congo River off I-94 too. Didn't get any traction with either, hey?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 01:03:05 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 01:03:06 PM »
Used to golf.  Then it got too expensive and too time consuming. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2015, 01:04:29 PM »
Don't remember when it was cheap and took less time.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2015, 01:08:56 PM »
Don't remember when it was cheap and took less time.

Everything is relative.  It became an issue when I had kids.  Now I look at even municipal rates and thing "man, I can think of better things to do with my time and my money." 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2015, 01:18:19 PM »
It is my last bad habit.   And with the firefighter schedule, I can get out for a (pick a weekday) tee time, miss the crowds, get my work out in by walking 18 holes carrying my bag, be done by noon and on to the rest of the day.    It is even more fun now taking my 8 year old with me.    Go to a little pitch-and-putt 15 minutes away, have him walk with me.... nothing finer.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2015, 01:22:41 PM »
Nothin' better than hangin' with the young'ns grippin' and rippin' it, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2015, 01:29:32 PM »
I started a golf thread a few years ago.   It is accurate to say that it went the way of the 2 iron.   I mentioned I had a hole-in-one earlier this year, it went nowhere.     I am a passionate golfer, an 8 handicap and am leaving tomorrow for 3 days at the Treetops resort in northern Michigan.

i remember that-i asked what course and where-michigan-right?  then you posted the scorecard.  good for you!  unbelievable how the closest i've come is about 2 feet after about a gazillion rounds and then ya here about some blind octagenarian(no offense) getting 2 in one week ?-(

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2015, 01:33:59 PM »
i remember that-i asked what course and where-michigan-right?  then you posted the scorecard.  good for you!  unbelievable how the closest i've come is about 2 feet after about a gazillion rounds and then ya here about some blind octagenarian(no offense) getting 2 in one week ?-(

I have had two aces.   The day I had my first one, later in the round at a short down-hill par 4, I hit the flag on the second hop using a 3 wood.   It ended up 20 feet away.     I have either hit the stick or been within a foot about a dozen times.   Pure luck when it actually goes in.   

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2015, 01:38:15 PM »
You braggin' or complainin'?

Neither - beggin'. Need your help on the putting green.