[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Fellow chicagoins please help!  (Read 5044 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Fellow chicagoins please help!
« on: May 22, 2015, 04:12:15 PM »
Looking for new great sub sandwich, wings and Italian beef/sausage places to go to. Any suggestions?
Maigh Eo for Sam

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Fellow chicagoins please help!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 04:21:38 PM »
Looking for new great sub sandwich, wings and Italian beef/sausage places to go to. Any suggestions?

Philadelphia

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 04:23:00 PM »
You're axin' the wrong guy, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 06:21:02 PM »
Chickies on 18th and Wolf Road in Hillside. Many, many, many years ago they were on 28th & Pulaski in the city. I lived on their Italian beef and Home Run Inn pizza. I think the current Chickies is owned by a family member and use the original recipe.

http://www.originalchickies.com/
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 06:26:08 PM by mr.MUskie »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 06:16:32 AM »
portillos?  i know it was sold, but their eyetalian beef was pretty good.  whoever bought it would have been a fool to make many if any changes.  don't think they had pizza pie though?
don't...don't don't don't don't

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 06:36:51 AM »

In the city?  Big Gs, Birds Nest, and Toons for wings. All Lakewview/ Wrigley area

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 08:54:04 AM »
BPB:  

Forget new; stick with the tried and true best, which I know that you know well:  

Johnnies, for the best Italian Beef in the world (and don't forget the ice; and, during Lent, a Friday pepper and egg visit is a must); and its neighbor down the block, Alpine, for superior subs, in particular, the Italian version (called, of course, "The Alpine").

I cannot help you with the wings, which I view as an abomination.

Also, look at page 1 of the Trib sports section today for an article on the intersection of  bagpiping and sports (unfortunately, it centers on ND lax bro culture).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:53:50 AM by LloydsLegs »

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 08:55:51 AM »
Philadelphia

The Philadelphia cheese steak is a distant, troubled cousin to the Chicago Italian Beef.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 09:18:57 AM »
For hot dogs and Italian beefs hit up Murphy's at Belmont and Racine. The place is money. Also I agreed with whoever said Birds Nest for wings. That's definitely my favorite wing spot in the city
Bring back FFP!!!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 10:56:42 AM »
portillos?  i know it was sold, but their eyetalian beef was pretty good.  whoever bought it would have been a fool to make many if any changes.  don't think they had pizza pie though?

Never been a huge fan. I've had a thousand better places that are wholes in the wall.

BPB: 

Forget new; stick with the tried and true best, which I know that you know well: 

Johnnies, for the best Italian Beef in the world (and don't forget the ice; and, during Lent, a Friday pepper and egg visit is a must); and its neighbor down the block, Alpine, for superior subs, in particular, the Italian version (called, of course, "The Alpine").

Also, look at page 1 of the Trib sports section today for an article on the intersection of  bagpiping and sports (unfortunately, it centers on ND lax bro culture).

Every time I go home I pick up either an alpine or Italian sausage from johnnys to bring back. It's saving on gas which is why I'm reaching out for more local options haha

I'll check it out, oddly enough when I was a freshman I tried to get TAMU (my RA) to get me into the band so I could play thunderstruck for the opening of the basketball games but got shot down. Still played the pipes at the old club lax house a ton though.

Maigh Eo for Sam

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 11:32:01 AM »
BPB:  

Also, look at page 1 of the Trib sports section today for an article on the intersection of  bagpiping and sports (unfortunately, it centers on ND lax bro culture).

Explain?  You don't like wings at all you mean?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 12:10:23 PM »
If anyone has been to the Point East Pub in Milwaukee those are the type of wings I'm looking for in Chicago. They Dip the sauce and them grill it in on a low heat charcoal grill. They're incredible and haunt my dreams
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 12:40:19 PM »
The Philadelphia cheese steak is a distant, troubled cousin to the Chicago Italian Beef.

Thank you Lloyd.  Damn straight.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 01:23:45 PM »

Really...

Perhaps I have not given the Chicago sammer a fair shake. Tough to beat a Philly Cheese Steak

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 01:30:58 PM »
Al's ain't bad. Dipped.  Hot giardiniera. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2015, 01:49:28 PM »
Al's ain't bad. Dipped.  Hot giardiniera. 

There was a place down near the airport in Milwaukee called Al's Custard. They had 'Butter Burgers' that were incredible. One of the best meals in Milwaukee, back in the day

Death on call

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 02:23:38 PM »
If anyone has been to the Point East Pub in Milwaukee those are the type of wings I'm looking for in Chicago. They Dip the sauce and them grill it in on a low heat charcoal grill. They're incredible and haunt my dreams

Points East is a gem. I've never been able to find wings exactly like theirs, but I wish I could. Also the place that introduced me to the Moscow Mule. I too have fond memories of that place.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2015, 03:18:31 PM »

Big Gs on Clark. They grill theirs like you're saying. I used to live across from Pointes East so I know of their wings.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 03:21:07 PM by mugrad2006 »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2015, 01:56:24 AM »
If you're ever down by the cell there's a fantastic pork sandwhich place on 31st. Can't remember the name but it's so good.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 09:51:16 AM »
Points East is a gem. I've never been able to find wings exactly like theirs, but I wish I could. Also the place that introduced me to the Moscow Mule. I too have fond memories of that place.

Love the food too but the owner is kind of a jag.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2015, 10:01:53 AM »

This is interesting. I was a aware they sold. Stopped by one earlier this week for the first time in a while, and without knowing that news, felt that it was not quite as good as I remember. The beef sandwich was smaller and not as good as I remember. Coincidence? Perhaps, but I find it interesting.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2015, 10:29:07 AM »
If you're ever down by the cell there's a fantastic pork sandwhich place on 31st. Can't remember the name but it's so good.

Maxwell Street Depot at 31st and Canal. A stop at Triskillions Tavern (30th and Canal, owned and operated by Frank Nardi)  followed  by a pork chop sandwich smothered in onions on the way to the ballpark were important parts of the White Sox experience. Sadly, the tavern is no more.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2015, 11:30:35 AM »
Berkshire Hathaway bought Portillo's last year. Expansion plans into WI, TX, western FL in the next few years.

They did subtly raise some prices since the purchase.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2015, 11:44:21 AM »
Berkshire Hathaway bought Portillo's last year. Expansion plans into WI, TX, western FL in the next few years.

They did subtly raise some prices since the purchase.

Slight but important correction, but Berkshire Partners bought them, not Buffett.  Similar names, but no connection.

Agree on Johnnies Beef.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2015, 11:46:20 AM »
Slight but important correction, but Berkshire Partners bought them, not Buffett.  Similar names, but no connection.

Agree on Johnnies Beef.

Ahh, my mistake. Good correction.

feedback