[Today at 10:43:30 AM]

NCSTATE is evil by tower912
[Today at 10:37:58 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette's connection to Teddy Roosevelt's assassin  (Read 5029 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Marquette's connection to Teddy Roosevelt's assassin
« on: May 21, 2015, 09:43:56 PM »
It's not what you think. ;)

I didn't know about the Teddy assassination attempt in MILWAUKEE until the PBS special on the Roosevelts.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Flammang_Schrank
SS Marquette

brandx

Re: Marquette's connection to Teddy Roosevelt's assassin
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 11:07:23 PM »
Didn't know he was assassinated. Schools must have sucked back in the day. ;D

chapman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 07:50:29 AM »
Who would (attempt to) assassinate one of the most badass Presidents in history?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 08:26:24 AM »
Who would (attempt to) assassinate one of the most badass Presidents in history?

The assassination attempt added to his badassery.  He was shot by the would be assassin right before giving a speech....he then completed the speech before seeking medical attention.  BAD ASS
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 08:52:54 AM »
Chuck Norris + Mbakwe < Teddy Roosevelt

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 09:02:35 AM »
I read (what is Part 2 from the author) of his biography.

If I recall correctly he swam in the Potomac every morning regardless of weather because the cold water was invigorating.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 02:57:09 PM »
Isn't there a plaque of some sort at the MAC?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 03:06:21 PM »
The assassination attempt added to his badassery.  He was shot by the would be assassin right before giving a speech....he then completed the speech before seeking medical attention.  BAD ASS

Absolutely f#cking awesome.

Edmund Morris' work on TR is superb.

Death on call

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 03:25:16 PM »
Isn't there a plaque of some sort at the MAC?

I think it's at the Hyatt.  The Hyatt almost sits on the same site as the Hotel Gilpatrick, which was across the street from the Auditorium

Concur.   Despite massive amounts of information, all three volumes read like novels.
Ludum habemus.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 07:05:01 PM »

Theodore Rex - That's the one.  A fun read.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 07:13:51 PM »
I think it's at the Hyatt.  The Hyatt almost sits on the same site as the Hotel Gilpatrick, which was across the street from the Auditorium

You are correct.  Plaque in the Hyatt lobby.  Any one remember the Lincoln plaque on Schroeder's front lawn?

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/31048

http://www.suvcw-wi.org/memorials/milwaukee_lincoln.html

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 07:16:21 PM »
Yes I remember the Lincoln plaque.  I didn't realize that Marquette stands at the site of the original state fairgrounds.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 07:58:33 PM »
You are correct.  Plaque in the Hyatt lobby.  Any one remember the Lincoln plaque on Schroeder's front lawn?

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/31048

http://www.suvcw-wi.org/memorials/milwaukee_lincoln.html

It's still there.
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 08:35:24 PM »

Concur.   Despite massive amounts of information, all three volumes read like novels.

Morris and McCullough are both masters of presenting meticulously researched material in a gripping narrative that makes it difficult for the reader to set down the book. They vest remarkable personality in their subjects to where one feels a sense of familiarity with these larger than life men.

Morris' biography of Reagan, Dutch, required that he employ a radical convention of author as character because Reagan was so obtusely opaque about who he really was. It is fascinating that one of America's most beloved leaders was perhaps known only by his wife while not even understood by himself. In many ways, Morris likely saw the real Ronald Reagan better than Reagan saw himself.     

Death on call

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 09:09:46 PM »

Morris' biography of Reagan, Dutch, required that he employ a radical convention of author as character because Reagan was so obtusely opaque about who he really was. It is fascinating that one of America's most beloved leaders was perhaps known only by his wife while not even understood by himself. In many ways, Morris likely saw the real Ronald Reagan better than Reagan saw himself.     

On that recommendation, ordered it up on Amazon.  Thank you.
Ludum habemus.

brandx

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 10:47:27 PM »
Morris and McCullough are both masters of presenting meticulously researched material in a gripping narrative that makes it difficult for the reader to set down the book. They vest remarkable personality in their subjects to where one feels a sense of familiarity with these larger than life men.

Crash, I have a question for you since you are a huge history buff and Middle East war vet.

Have you read the book Redeployment by Phil Klay? It's been compared very favorably to Tim O'Briens's The Things They Carried.  It's a series of stories based on the Iraq War (rather than vietnam like O'Briens book). I just bought the book and was wondering about your opinion of it (if you have read it).

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 01:11:02 AM »
On that recommendation, ordered it up on Amazon.  Thank you.

Enjoy. Reagan was so evasive that Morris was forced to insert himself as a fictional narrator in order to bring as much of Reagan's true identity to the surface. It is remarkable that a man who espoused family values and such never visited his own grandchild or consoled his wife on being diagnosed with breast cancer. Reagan was a product of Hollywood's Golden Age in more ways than I think even he realized. A remarkably confounding man whose impact was greater than it should have been yet not nearly so grand as we now hold to be true.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2015, 02:24:00 AM »
Crash, I have a question for you since you are a huge history buff and Middle East war vet.

Have you read the book Redeployment by Phil Klay? It's been compared very favorably to Tim O'Briens's The Things They Carried.  It's a series of stories based on the Iraq War (rather than vietnam like O'Briens book). I just bought the book and was wondering about your opinion of it (if you have read it).

I have not read Redeployment but I will on your recommendation.

I did two deployments for OIF and it always seemed a more problematic war than Afghanistan for me and many other USAF, USMC, USN, and Army officers with whom I served. I did one tour flying A 10s and another as a JTAC running the Close Air Support mission in Iraq and the perspective one has between the two is huge. Being on the ground gives one a grittier sense for the war and certainly puts one in intimate contact with the Iraqi people.

One of my biggest takeaways from being on the ground in '07 was that we were disliked intensely by virtually every faction save for the Kurds. Our Shock and Awe fundamentally fractured Iraq's economy, services, political infrastructure, and social fabric. Beyond the physical destruction was the gross mismanagement of the recovery by the civilians who infested the Green Zone. Every time I went into the Emerald City I left with a profound disgust for the charlatans who thought Iraq was Age of Empires on a bigger canvas.

As for good reads on that war...I have read more on Iraq than Afghanistan...something common among guys who have done both OIF and OEF. Off the top of my head I would recommend -

Night Draws Near by Anthony Shadid. Superb insight into how the Iraqis really saw the US, George Bush, and the grunts on the ground. A must read for how others see us.

Fiasco by Thomas Ricks. I have always respected Ricks' work as a journalist and this study is superbly documented and unflinching in its criticism of the Bush team in the run up to war and how misguided policy has crippled America's stature in the Islamic world, likely for decades.

One Bullet Away: The making of a Marine Officer by Nathaniel Fick. Fick goes from Dartmouth to leading a platoon of Marines in combat.  His insights are compelling - people sitting in their offices or suburban homes have no idea of the incredible pressures confronting these 23-25 year olds just a few years removed from high school. Fick's narrative is testament to the awful demands of the crucible of war and how not every man has the fortitude, attitude, or courage to meet that challenge. 

Generation Kill by Evan Wright. Generation Y goes to war. Interesting look at the camaraderie inside a Marine Force Recon unit. If Fick focuses on the life of the platoon leader set against the backdrop of America's strategic interests Wright shows how young enlisted men bond and cope with the insanity of combat in a foreign land. They are not there to defend America's interests but, rather, to have each other's back.

Imperial Life in the Emerald City by Rajiv Chandrasekaran. Paul Bremer is a flaming a$$hole. Chandrasekaran has the evidence. A must read.

The Forever War by Dexter Filkins. A collection of vignettes from our wars in SW Asia. Filkins writes for the NYT but his work is characterized by tremendous empathy for the grunts and civilians caught up in the vortex of war. A remarkably perceptive work that illuminates the human dimension of combat.

Death on call

feedback