[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Dish Network's Sling TV  (Read 5010 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Dish Network's Sling TV
« on: May 19, 2015, 11:49:28 AM »
Dish Network's Sling TV...

Any users out there? Even non-users, just looking for some thoughts, pros/cons, etc?

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
Re: Dish Network's Sling TV
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 02:11:37 PM »
LOVE IT!!  :)  :D

I cut the cord a few years ago when I got a Roku but missed live sports. Sling is great as I've been able to watch the NBA playoffs thanks to Sling's offering of ESPN, ESPN2 and TNT.

Pros:

• Works great. There are occasionally times where the stream gets choppy or freezes, but it usually remedies itself quickly.
    Can't beat the price and the fact you can cancel at anytime.
  • A Sling subscription also gets you access to the WatchESPN app so you can watch ESPN content through that avenue too.
  • The channel selection is limited, but fits my needs, I get ESPN, ESPN2, TBS, TNT, CNN, History, HGTV and a few others. This is more than adequate for me as I mostly got it for the sports, but the wife enjoys HGTV and the Food Network.
  • I have not had any issues using it on different devices, Roku, tablet, computer, it works great on them all.
  • It does offer on demand movies, have not tried this feature but it is nice to know it is there if I want to watch something before it gets to NetFlix or Amazon Prime.
  • For an additional $5 they offer extra content packages, a sports package (mainly ESPN channels, i.e. ESPNU, Goal Line, etc), news package and family package.

Cons:

• You can't watch content on multiple devices at the same time. So if you want to watch the game on tablet and the wife wants to watch HGTV at the same time on Roku, only one of you will be able to watch. I believe you can pay additional to get an extra screen added.
  • DVR capability is only offered for a few channels, HGTV and Food Network for sure, but not ESPN, ESPN2, TNT or TBS.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I am hoping they add Fox Sports 1 before basketball season starts!

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 08:33:18 AM »
Also looking to move to Sling TV...do you use the Roku or Roku stick? Recommendations on which to use?

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 09:14:54 AM »
I have a Roku 3.

Currently Sling is running an offer in which they will give you a Roku Stick for FREE if you pre-pay for 3 months of service. So I am guessing it works well on the Roku Stick too.  ;)

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 04:49:07 PM »

Cons:

• You can't watch content on multiple devices at the same time. So if you want to watch the game on tablet and the wife wants to watch HGTV at the same time on Roku, only one of you will be able to watch. I believe you can pay additional to get an extra screen added.
  • DVR capability is only offered for a few channels, HGTV and Food Network for sure, but not ESPN, ESPN2, TNT or TBS.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I am hoping they add Fox Sports 1 before basketball season starts!

Unfortunately, those are some massive cons for me.

About to move, looking at all the options for TV, and they all suck. Problem is that what I "need" (ESPN/2, FS1, NBCSN, CSN Chicago, plus DVR and two TVs) are the expensive things you can't work around with Slings and streams.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 07:48:52 PM »
Still haven't bothered to get it.  Might order it when/if I get another TV, to set up the Fire TV or Stick on that one using the discount.  I am patiently waiting the HBO Now app for Fire TV due in July.  The Apple exclusivity period has me stuck on a laptop for it.  That's been an awesome service - never had an issue streaming, new episodes of shows are always up on the site as soon as they begin to air, never a minute later.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 09:18:42 AM »
I subscribed partly because I wanted a Fire TV, so the $50 discount made the service only $10 for three months, and I needed an extra TV device for the first couple days of march madness. 

It worked well for that, and honestly if you're looking for basic TV service, I think it's great.  I dropped it because I have cable, but will probably pick it up for madness month again next year (TBS, and TNT games.  No TruTV or CBS).  Being able to subscribe and drop on a whim is great.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 10:05:27 AM »
Being able to subscribe and drop on a whim is great.

Huge pro to these services in my book.  MLB.TV, Netflix, etc. have all gotten more business out of me because I know I can subscribe and cancel when I don't plan on using the service or when the Brewers start sucking.  If I knew cancellation was a huge pain, I'd have cancelled once and never returned.  Contract with cable or satellite radio, who put you on hold and then draw out the cancellation process - you don't want to go back knowing what it's like to get out.  Sure, the start-up time and cost is more than a click of a button, but they also know the service doesn't have the value that they can be confident in retention without making cancellation/switching a burden.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 10:07:38 AM »
LOVE IT!!  :)  :D

I cut the cord a few years ago when I got a Roku but missed live sports. Sling is great as I've been able to watch the NBA playoffs thanks to Sling's offering of ESPN, ESPN2 and TNT.

Pros:

• Works great. There are occasionally times where the stream gets choppy or freezes, but it usually remedies itself quickly.
    Can't beat the price and the fact you can cancel at anytime.
  • A Sling subscription also gets you access to the WatchESPN app so you can watch ESPN content through that avenue too.
  • The channel selection is limited, but fits my needs, I get ESPN, ESPN2, TBS, TNT, CNN, History, HGTV and a few others. This is more than adequate for me as I mostly got it for the sports, but the wife enjoys HGTV and the Food Network.
  • I have not had any issues using it on different devices, Roku, tablet, computer, it works great on them all.
  • It does offer on demand movies, have not tried this feature but it is nice to know it is there if I want to watch something before it gets to NetFlix or Amazon Prime.
  • For an additional $5 they offer extra content packages, a sports package (mainly ESPN channels, i.e. ESPNU, Goal Line, etc), news package and family package.

Cons:

I enjoy your dram but I do not have deep enough pockets for the 18. Macallan 12 and 15 are excellent though.

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 10:02:34 AM »
I enjoy your dram but I do not have deep enough pockets for the 18. Macallan 12 and 15 are excellent though.

I understand, 18 is an expensive taste. Can count on one hand how many bottles I've bought in my lifetime. Recently I have gotten into Monkey Shoulder, it is smooth and is a reasonable enough price you can use it as a regular pour.

Have you ever tried Johnny Walker Swing? Have heard good things about it, but given that it costs around the same as Macallan 12 and 15 I've been waffling on giving it a try in case it is disappointing. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 10:40:41 AM »
I understand, 18 is an expensive taste. Can count on one hand how many bottles I've bought in my lifetime. Recently I have gotten into Monkey Shoulder, it is smooth and is a reasonable enough price you can use it as a regular pour.

Have you ever tried Johnny Walker Swing? Have heard good things about it, but given that it costs around the same as Macallan 12 and 15 I've been waffling on giving it a try in case it is disappointing. 

Haven't tried much of Johnny Walker anything. I try to stick to single malts...Macallan, Glenfiddich, and Bowmore are my favorites, with an occasional Highland Park to keep it interesting.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 05:01:54 PM »
Huge pro to these services in my book.  MLB.TV, Netflix, etc. have all gotten more business out of me because I know I can subscribe and cancel when I don't plan on using the service or when the Brewers start sucking.  If I knew cancellation was a huge pain, I'd have cancelled once and never returned.  Contract with cable or satellite radio, who put you on hold and then draw out the cancellation process - you don't want to go back knowing what it's like to get out.  Sure, the start-up time and cost is more than a click of a button, but they also know the service doesn't have the value that they can be confident in retention without making cancellation/switching a burden.

There is a reason why contracts are required in those spaces.  It costs satellite about $800 to $900 to acquire a customer, install them, etc.  That has to be paid back.  The cost of the equipment, those unionized installers, etc, so they need a 2 year lock in the pay back the investment they are making in securing a customer.

As for Sling.  It has some pros and cons to it.  If you are a single person, not bad.  Family...no thanks.  Only one concurrent stream, they black out content, they've had a lot of technical issues thus far, but it will get better.  I'm competing with them right now in the OTT space, know a bunch about them and their infrastructure.  It really depends what you're looking for.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 05:58:34 PM »
what is the easiest, most cost effective, versatile service for a 2nd home?  i have direct tv with 2 boxes down in havasu with a 3rd tv(outside) hooked up via wireless from one of the mains inside.  we go down there for many reasons; on a whim and to escape this damn climate change.  so we call to connect it in september or october, turn it off in march or april.  but i occasionally go down in june, july or august to get away.  plus it's an excuse to dip my toes in vegas as we fly in/out of there, then drive 2 hours south. 

would sling be an option for this?  a call and subscribe and use as needed? or is there another service available?
don't...don't don't don't don't

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 06:29:12 PM »
what is the easiest, most cost effective, versatile service for a 2nd home?  i have direct tv with 2 boxes down in havasu with a 3rd tv(outside) hooked up via wireless from one of the mains inside.  we go down there for many reasons; on a whim and to escape this damn climate change.  so we call to connect it in september or october, turn it off in march or april.  but i occasionally go down in june, july or august to get away.  plus it's an excuse to dip my toes in vegas as we fly in/out of there, then drive 2 hours south. 

would sling be an option for this?  a call and subscribe and use as needed? or is there another service available?

Why don't you just bring your DTV receivers with you when you go to Havasu?  Or do you need tv at both locations at the same time?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 06:49:01 PM »
Why don't you just bring your DTV receivers with you when you go to Havasu?  Or do you need tv at both locations at the same time?

i leave them in havasu as i have time warner cable and internet up here in wisconsin

(welcome back-hope you had quality time with mom-et.al.)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 06:50:23 PM »
i leave them in havasu as i have time warner cable and internet up here in wisconsin

(welcome back-hope you had quality time with mom-et.al.)

Good times.  Putting together video and photo book now to preserve the memories for her while we can. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2015, 07:29:06 PM »

No need to call with the new services.  Just click a button to subscribe, click a button to cancel whenever you please.  Best bet is probably a Leaf/equivalent antenna and streaming box (Roku/Fire TV), which will get you the basics and access to your pick of Sling/Netflix/Prime/Hulu and a bunch of other stuff.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2015, 07:45:59 PM »
Just know what you are getting yourself into....they've had some ups and downs.  No service is perfect, that's the nature of the beast.  For $19.99, maybe people don't care.

If you are used to a DVR, it doesn't exist for some channels (i.e. pause, rewind, etc).  If you are used to having multiple different channels on, that isn't going to happen either.  Those are rights issues, not technical issues.

Also a number of high profile issues.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dishs-sling-tv-experiences-issues-788277

http://recode.net/2015/04/05/sling-tv-says-it-dropped-the-ball-during-march-madness-when-will-web-tv-be-ready-for-primetime/

http://www.tvpredictions.com/sling041215.htm

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
thanks!  i'll check them out.  i just watch reg. channels plus golf channel. espn is not what it used to be.  the 30-30's are pretty good.  time warner removed golf ch, from their basic and now need a box for it.  watching movies is nice, but not a deal breaker for me.  the wife however...?  otherwise, i'm just looking for convenience of turning it on/off when we come/go.  the price really doesn't matter all that much. thanks again

82fanatic

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 11:04:14 PM »
I have dish with sling here in milwaukee.   I travel a lot, and the sling is great.  Never miss an MU or packer game.   Sometimes up at 3 am in a foreign country. But always get to watch.   Would not get cable service at second home.   Just good internet and log on and watch tv from Milwaukee.   Love the sling. . 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 11:07:01 PM »
I have dish with sling here in milwaukee.   I travel a lot, and the sling is great.  Never miss an MU or packer game.   Sometimes up at 3 am in a foreign country. But always get to watch.   Would not get cable service at second home.   Just good internet and log on and watch tv from Milwaukee.   Love the sling. . 

Are you talking the sling box, or sling TV?  Two different things.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2015, 02:59:57 AM »
Macallan, Glenfiddich, and Bowmore are my favorites, with an occasional Highland Park to keep it interesting.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2015, 03:19:40 AM »
Good times.  Putting together video and photo book now to preserve the memories for her while we can. 

Jams

I just noticed this. I hope all is well with your mom.

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2015, 05:06:00 AM »

i am not the most techno-sophisticated person.  however, if you can tell me what i need outside of good internet, which i have, this sounds like something that would fit my needs perfectly down in arizona.  do i get a stick, like roku?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2015, 09:58:29 AM »
Jams

I just noticed this. I hope all is well with your mom.

She has a long journey ahead of her, as does the family.  Been through this once before with my wife's mother, not the way I would wish for anyone to go and the long process it takes.  Thank you for the well wishes.

feedback