[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Phelps leaves for Zona  (Read 21107 times)

MU06CU10

• Scholarship Player
Re: Phelps leaves for Zona
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 10:31:59 AM »
If we allegedly spend the second-most money on our basketball program, how is it that we lose coaches to lateral moves? Is Phelps taking a pay cut? Or do we just not get into bidding wars?

As much as I love our program, many would argue that this is not a lateral move. More importantly, there is a long lasting prior relationship between Phelps and Miller (assistants together at NC State for a number of years). Rather than assume we just didn't want to pony up the money or that we can't keep guys from making lateral moves, it might be worthwhile to consider that Phelps had an opportunity to move to one of the best programs in the country and work with a coach that he knows very well. Simply put, I doubt money was the issue, and that's not a knock on our program or head coach.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 10:59:59 AM »
Gosh, I'm tired of the self-loathing of people here.

People, he was an assistant coach. They come and go and more often than not, the good ones go. They become head coaches or number one assistant coaches.

Sure Wojo has only a year under his belt. Buz geez, he showed a great deal of progress last year and he hung in there with a reduced squad that was young, beaten up and worn down as the year went on. With more horses this year and more experience, I'm expecting good if not great things from Wojo.

I don't care if his assistant is Bozo the Clown. Just win baby!!!!

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 11:46:33 AM »
If I was 48 years old, do you want to be in Tuscon where the weather is great 9 months a year, and then the 3 months that are bad you are out recruiting in the summer, it really is a no
brainer for me and for sure his family.

Lacrosse218

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 12:01:37 PM »
Not too worried about him leaving- but was he the lead recruiter on anyone?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 12:34:53 PM »
I think there's little doubt that Travis will be elevated to Asst. Coach.  But I agree with the notion that an experienced veteran x and o guy would be great in the Director of Basketball Ops. position.  Pretty sure Jerry wants to stay retired but I have high regard for him.

I'd be totally on board with Travis replicating Wojo's career path. i.e., collegiate point guard returns to his alma matter where he spends 15 years as the assistant coach to a guy that leads the program to multiple national titles before somewhat reluctantly leaving said alma matter (for, let's say, Gonzaga) because said head coach isn't yet done winning national titles.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2015, 12:51:36 PM »
all this tells me is that wojo picked a good assistant in phelps as zona/miller wouldn't be stealing him away if he wasn't a good hire.  that said, i think his skill set would be very different than damon staudemire, so i found that interesting.  i'm good with travis being on the bench, but i'll trust wojo's abilities to make that decision over mine.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 01:44:54 PM by avid1010 »

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2015, 12:53:24 PM »
Opens a spot for some 5-star recruit's dad, anayna'a?

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2015, 01:43:50 PM »

People, he was an assistant coach. They come and go and more often than not, the good ones go. They become head coaches or number one assistant coaches.

Sure Wojo has only a year under his belt. Buz geez, he showed a great deal of progress last year and he hung in there with a reduced squad that was young, beaten up and worn down as the year went on. With more horses this year and more experience, I'm expecting good if not great things from Wojo.

+1

I don't remember reading anywhere that Mark Phelps is the world's greatest assistant coach and his KSA is irreplaceable. Feeling pretty comfortable with Wojo's ability to find a quality assistant to bring on board.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2015, 01:49:12 PM »
Opens a spot for some 5-star recruit's dad, anayna'a?

Well, Diener's cousin was just rated one of the top 15 kids in the class of 2018 by Maxpreps, if that's close enough.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2015, 01:53:55 PM »
Well, Diener's cousin was just rated one of the top 15 kids in the class of 2018 by Maxpreps, if that's close enough.

I'm assuming this is top 15 in the state rather than the country?
Bring back FFP!!!

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2015, 01:55:01 PM »
+1

I don't remember reading anywhere that Mark Phelps is the world's greatest assistant coach and his KSA is irreplaceable. Feeling pretty comfortable with Wojo's ability to find a quality assistant to bring on board.

Christ, no one said the MU program was going to crumble.::) Just saying that it would be nice to have some stability. But please take that and blow it completely out of proportion.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2015, 01:58:28 PM »
I don't know from Phelps, but I think maybe Wojo goes with a guy that's older and been around CBB for awhile.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2015, 02:00:13 PM »
I don't know from Phelps, but I think maybe Wojo goes with a guy that's older and been around CBB for awhile.

Hoopaloop it is

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2015, 02:13:54 PM »
I'm assuming this is top 15 in the state rather than the country?

John Diener from Cedarburg in the 10 more to watch, he's Tom's son.
http://www.maxpreps.com/news/b92coYV8S0CtWMCsqbIHBA/maxpreps-2014-15-boys-basketball-freshman-five.htm

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2015, 02:15:59 PM »
Christ, no one said the MU program was going to crumble.::) Just saying that it would be nice to have some stability. But please take that and blow it completely out of proportion.

Retaining 80% of the below is stability.   You are the one blowing things out of proportion.

Steve Wojciechowski - Head Coach
Chris Carrawell - Assistant Coach
Brett Nelson - Assistant Coach
Mark Phelps - Assistant Coach
Travis Diener - Director of Player Personnel
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2015, 02:43:23 PM »

Hoopaloop it is

Boom!

Love it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 02:45:30 PM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2015, 03:20:45 PM »
If we allegedly spend the second-most money on our basketball program, how is it that we lose coaches to lateral moves? Is Phelps taking a pay cut? Or do we just not get into bidding wars?

Maybe he didn't like Wojo.  Maybe Wojo didn't like him.

Good lord, IT IS AN ASSISTANT COACH. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2015, 03:22:54 PM »

By calling the MU program unstable, you are the one blowing it out of proportion in the first place.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2015, 03:29:01 PM »

This just in: moving from the Marquette program to the Arizona program is NOT a lateral move.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2015, 03:31:35 PM »
Guy's a loser.   Good riddance.

brandx

« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2015, 03:33:01 PM »

Agreed.

It is a good thing when an assistant leaves like this. It means he is desired at the Blue Bloods. It means Wojo is able to attract coaching talent as well as players.

Good coaches have good assistants. Other programs will look to grab them. Once we are back in the Dance a couple years. our assistants will be poached for head jobs. That's how it works - especially with relatively young assistants.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2015, 05:57:02 PM »
Wojo' tree got shaken early. That's a good sign. Go Eijo. Go Marquette!!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2015, 06:04:00 PM »

Digger is lined up.  MU saving on the name tags to pay for the highlighters now needed.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2015, 06:49:52 PM »
Retaining 80% of the below is stability.   You are the one blowing things out of proportion.

Steve Wojciechowski - Head Coach
Chris Carrawell - Assistant Coach
Brett Nelson - Assistant Coach
Mark Phelps - Assistant Coach
Travis Diener - Director of Player Personnel

Sigh. This board makes my head hurt.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2015, 07:12:40 PM »

But will there be a beer summit?
Relax. Respect the Process.

feedback