[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Where is Marquette? by muwarrior69
[Today at 09:46:37 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Phelps leaves for Zona  (Read 21015 times)

Oregon Warrior

• Scholarship Player
Re: Phelps leaves for Zona
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 11:49:43 PM »
Sorry guys. I'm using my phone and I can't get the link to work for some reason.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 12:04:22 AM »
http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2015/5/19/8623825/report-marquette-assistant-mark-phelps-to-leave-for-same-role-at-arizona

There will be an opening on Steve Wojciechowski's coaching staff, it seems.

Jason Scheer of WildcatAuthority.com, an Arizona Wildcats site, tweeted that Marquette assistant Mark Phelps would be joining Arizona's staff as an assistant coach, replacing Damon Stoudamire who left Arizona for Memphis on Monday.

Phelps came to Marquette last year as part of Wojciechowski's inaugural coaching staff. Prior to coming to Marquette, Phelps was an assistant at Missouri under Frank Haith alongside current DePaul head coach Dave Leitao.

Phelps also has experience at the head coaching level, having coached Drake University from 2008-2013. He compiled a 77-86 record in his time at Drake.
SS Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 12:05:03 AM »
nm
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 05:28:44 AM »
Travis Diener......come on down!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 06:22:17 AM »
Travis Diener......come on down!

Do we need someone with more experience?  Right now there is a grand total of one year's experience as a head coach on the staff.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 06:25:21 AM »
Do we need someone with more experience?  Right now there is a grand total of one year's experience as a head coach on the staff.

Bring Jerry Wainwright back.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 08:12:39 AM »
I think there's little doubt that Travis will be elevated to Asst. Coach.  But I agree with the notion that an experienced veteran x and o guy would be great in the Director of Basketball Ops. position.  Pretty sure Jerry wants to stay retired but I have high regard for him.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 08:22:17 AM »
Jeez, you'd think a team that finished ninth in its conference could keep its coaching together for at least a year. Guess not.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 08:29:54 AM »
Jeez, you'd think a team that finished ninth in its conference could keep its coaching together for at least a year. Guess not.

Evidently, the industry holds our coaching staff in high regard in spite of their first year results.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 08:34:19 AM »
Well, if it's not players leaving, it's assistant coaches. Stability doesn't have much of a home at MU.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 08:45:31 AM »
Well, if it's not players leaving, it's assistant coaches. Stability doesn't have much of a home at MU.

Program stability depends on stability at the head coach spot.  Since Al, I don't think that Marquette has had the same guy for as long as a decade.  IIRC, Crean came closest at nine years.

As for assistants, you want guys that other programs covet.  As long as assistants are leaving for promotions or spots at just a few programs that can be considered a step up, it's all good.  Didn't Duke lose a top assistant two years in a row to become a head coach at a Midwest school?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 08:50:25 AM »
Do we need someone with more experience?  Right now there is a grand total of one year's experience as a head coach on the staff.

I think that Wojo's a fast learner.  I'm all for letting him in the pool this year without the floaties.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 08:57:21 AM »

The recruiting under the new regime has been getting an A+.

The in-game coaching last season probably got about a C.

If Phelps was our experienced guy who was supposed to educate Wojo on in-game issues, I'm not too concerned about his departure.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 09:19:14 AM »
The recruiting under the new regime has been getting an A+.

The in-game coaching last season probably got about a C.

If Phelps was our experienced guy who was supposed to educate Wojo on in-game issues, I'm not too concerned about his departure.

Yeah, I think that is pretty much where I fall on this.  Who was the Scooper who knew Drake pretty well who never thought this was a good hire?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 09:19:25 AM »
Program stability depends on stability at the head coach spot.  Since Al, I don't think that Marquette has had the same guy for as long as a decade.  IIRC, Crean came closest at nine years.

As for assistants, you want guys that other programs covet.  As long as assistants are leaving for promotions or spots at just a few programs that can be considered a step up, it's all good.  Didn't Duke lose a top assistant two years in a row to become a head coach at a Midwest school?

After how many years on the Duke staff?

I get it that assistants leave. But it would be nice to keep the same staff together for a few years...rather than having to recalibrate already.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 09:21:43 AM »
Now they can nab one more former top player and make the coaches daily basketball game even better!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 09:23:27 AM »

Yeah, I think that is pretty much where I fall on this.  Who was the Scooper who knew Drake pretty well who never thought this was a good hire?

Yet, Sean Miller must have seen something there.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 09:25:04 AM »
Now they can nab one more former top player and make the coaches daily basketball game even better!

Hopefully its Scheyer so we can see ChiTown's head explode

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 09:27:44 AM »

And here I was hoping Tim Duncan was gonna retire this year and we could get him.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 09:34:07 AM »
First people bemoan hiring a "loser like Phelps".

Then Arizona hires him and people bemoan "losing assistant coaches".

This isn't a mass-exodus situation.  Wojo is bringing back 80% of his bench back.  People need to settle down.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 09:42:50 AM »
Time for an upgrade!  Go Marquette!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 09:46:57 AM »
Yet, Sean Miller must have seen something there.

Sean Miller may have been looking for something different from what Wojo needs.  Wojo is still learning how to be THE guy for in-game situations.  Miller seems to have a pretty good handle on that already.

Win-win.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015, 09:55:58 AM »
If we allegedly spend the second-most money on our basketball program, how is it that we lose coaches to lateral moves? Is Phelps taking a pay cut? Or do we just not get into bidding wars?

MU06CU10

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 10:31:59 AM »
If we allegedly spend the second-most money on our basketball program, how is it that we lose coaches to lateral moves? Is Phelps taking a pay cut? Or do we just not get into bidding wars?

As much as I love our program, many would argue that this is not a lateral move. More importantly, there is a long lasting prior relationship between Phelps and Miller (assistants together at NC State for a number of years). Rather than assume we just didn't want to pony up the money or that we can't keep guys from making lateral moves, it might be worthwhile to consider that Phelps had an opportunity to move to one of the best programs in the country and work with a coach that he knows very well. Simply put, I doubt money was the issue, and that's not a knock on our program or head coach.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 10:59:59 AM »
Gosh, I'm tired of the self-loathing of people here.

People, he was an assistant coach. They come and go and more often than not, the good ones go. They become head coaches or number one assistant coaches.

Sure Wojo has only a year under his belt. Buz geez, he showed a great deal of progress last year and he hung in there with a reduced squad that was young, beaten up and worn down as the year went on. With more horses this year and more experience, I'm expecting good if not great things from Wojo.

I don't care if his assistant is Bozo the Clown. Just win baby!!!!

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 11:46:33 AM »
If I was 48 years old, do you want to be in Tuscon where the weather is great 9 months a year, and then the 3 months that are bad you are out recruiting in the summer, it really is a no
brainer for me and for sure his family.

Lacrosse218

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 12:01:37 PM »
Not too worried about him leaving- but was he the lead recruiter on anyone?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 12:34:53 PM »
I think there's little doubt that Travis will be elevated to Asst. Coach.  But I agree with the notion that an experienced veteran x and o guy would be great in the Director of Basketball Ops. position.  Pretty sure Jerry wants to stay retired but I have high regard for him.

I'd be totally on board with Travis replicating Wojo's career path. i.e., collegiate point guard returns to his alma matter where he spends 15 years as the assistant coach to a guy that leads the program to multiple national titles before somewhat reluctantly leaving said alma matter (for, let's say, Gonzaga) because said head coach isn't yet done winning national titles.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2015, 12:51:36 PM »
all this tells me is that wojo picked a good assistant in phelps as zona/miller wouldn't be stealing him away if he wasn't a good hire.  that said, i think his skill set would be very different than damon staudemire, so i found that interesting.  i'm good with travis being on the bench, but i'll trust wojo's abilities to make that decision over mine.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 01:44:54 PM by avid1010 »

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2015, 12:53:24 PM »
Opens a spot for some 5-star recruit's dad, anayna'a?

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2015, 01:43:50 PM »

People, he was an assistant coach. They come and go and more often than not, the good ones go. They become head coaches or number one assistant coaches.

Sure Wojo has only a year under his belt. Buz geez, he showed a great deal of progress last year and he hung in there with a reduced squad that was young, beaten up and worn down as the year went on. With more horses this year and more experience, I'm expecting good if not great things from Wojo.

+1

I don't remember reading anywhere that Mark Phelps is the world's greatest assistant coach and his KSA is irreplaceable. Feeling pretty comfortable with Wojo's ability to find a quality assistant to bring on board.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2015, 01:49:12 PM »
Opens a spot for some 5-star recruit's dad, anayna'a?

Well, Diener's cousin was just rated one of the top 15 kids in the class of 2018 by Maxpreps, if that's close enough.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2015, 01:53:55 PM »
Well, Diener's cousin was just rated one of the top 15 kids in the class of 2018 by Maxpreps, if that's close enough.

I'm assuming this is top 15 in the state rather than the country?
Bring back FFP!!!

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2015, 01:55:01 PM »
+1

I don't remember reading anywhere that Mark Phelps is the world's greatest assistant coach and his KSA is irreplaceable. Feeling pretty comfortable with Wojo's ability to find a quality assistant to bring on board.

Christ, no one said the MU program was going to crumble.::) Just saying that it would be nice to have some stability. But please take that and blow it completely out of proportion.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2015, 01:58:28 PM »
I don't know from Phelps, but I think maybe Wojo goes with a guy that's older and been around CBB for awhile.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2015, 02:00:13 PM »
I don't know from Phelps, but I think maybe Wojo goes with a guy that's older and been around CBB for awhile.

Hoopaloop it is

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2015, 02:13:54 PM »
I'm assuming this is top 15 in the state rather than the country?

John Diener from Cedarburg in the 10 more to watch, he's Tom's son.
http://www.maxpreps.com/news/b92coYV8S0CtWMCsqbIHBA/maxpreps-2014-15-boys-basketball-freshman-five.htm

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2015, 02:15:59 PM »
Christ, no one said the MU program was going to crumble.::) Just saying that it would be nice to have some stability. But please take that and blow it completely out of proportion.

Retaining 80% of the below is stability.   You are the one blowing things out of proportion.

Steve Wojciechowski - Head Coach
Chris Carrawell - Assistant Coach
Brett Nelson - Assistant Coach
Mark Phelps - Assistant Coach
Travis Diener - Director of Player Personnel
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2015, 02:43:23 PM »

Hoopaloop it is

Boom!

Love it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 02:45:30 PM by LittleWade »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2015, 03:20:45 PM »

Maybe he didn't like Wojo.  Maybe Wojo didn't like him.

Good lord, IT IS AN ASSISTANT COACH. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2015, 03:22:54 PM »

By calling the MU program unstable, you are the one blowing it out of proportion in the first place.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2015, 03:29:01 PM »

This just in: moving from the Marquette program to the Arizona program is NOT a lateral move.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2015, 03:31:35 PM »
Guy's a loser.   Good riddance.

brandx

« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2015, 03:33:01 PM »

Agreed.

It is a good thing when an assistant leaves like this. It means he is desired at the Blue Bloods. It means Wojo is able to attract coaching talent as well as players.

Good coaches have good assistants. Other programs will look to grab them. Once we are back in the Dance a couple years. our assistants will be poached for head jobs. That's how it works - especially with relatively young assistants.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2015, 05:57:02 PM »
Wojo' tree got shaken early. That's a good sign. Go Eijo. Go Marquette!!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2015, 06:04:00 PM »

Digger is lined up.  MU saving on the name tags to pay for the highlighters now needed.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2015, 06:49:52 PM »
Retaining 80% of the below is stability.   You are the one blowing things out of proportion.

Steve Wojciechowski - Head Coach
Chris Carrawell - Assistant Coach
Brett Nelson - Assistant Coach
Mark Phelps - Assistant Coach
Travis Diener - Director of Player Personnel

Sigh. This board makes my head hurt.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2015, 07:12:40 PM »

But will there be a beer summit?
Relax. Respect the Process.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2015, 07:19:28 PM »
But will there be a beer summit?

Respect yourself.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2015, 07:45:36 PM »

He wont, he's too stupid to handle a position like that.

ShootinOutWallsofHeartach

• Walk-On
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2015, 09:44:32 PM »

I hope this doesn't affect our recruitment of that Tempe guard Barcello. That kid is unreal!! I swear he broke about three defenders' ankles on the same play in that video.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:46:24 PM by ShootinOutWallsofHeartach »

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2015, 01:07:09 AM »
Maybe we nab Scott from the women's team to work with the big guys, or even get another former NBAer/Duke player to work with the big guys like Emeka Okafor.
SS Marquette

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2015, 07:20:07 AM »
Who was Phelps recruiting for us? Or was he mainly focused on being the big man coach?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2015, 10:00:31 AM »
Maybe we nab Scott from the women's team to work with the big guys, or even get another former NBAer/Duke player to work with the big guys like Emeka Okafor.

Emeka was a UConn Huskie.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2015, 11:03:09 AM »

You don't need to be a big to coach bigs, though. Wojo was the big man coach at Duke for a long time, and one of his claims to game that I recall was every big man he coached ended up playing in the NBA. That could be as much a product of recruiting, but it's still impressive.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2015, 11:04:38 AM »
Any names been thrown out there for a staff replacement?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2015, 11:11:09 AM »
Any names been thrown out there for a staff replacement?

Ners?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2015, 12:19:24 PM »
Ners?

I only have junior high experience. But I am really good at cleaning wood floors. I hear that was a good quality to have with the previous staff.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2015, 05:56:18 PM »
Ners?

Wow, decades of living an exemplary life, and now you're going to hell anyway.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2015, 06:04:46 PM »
Emeka was a UConn Huskie.

HAHA.

How come I thought he was a Dookie?!

LOL

I guess I meant to say Elton Brand.

You don't need to be a big to coach bigs, though. Wojo was the big man coach at Duke for a long time, and one of his claims to game that I recall was every big man he coached ended up playing in the NBA. That could be as much a product of recruiting, but it's still impressive.

You're right.

But when it comes to showing off moves, tricks of the trade, bodying up against a big player, I think it helps if you have a big man's coach who's a big man (like Dwayne Stephens).

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:11:04 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2015, 09:28:25 AM »
But when it comes to showing off moves, tricks of the trade, bodying up against a big player, I think it helps if you have a big man's coach who's a big man (like Dwayne Stephens).

Stephens making Z-Bo look slim.  Basically means he's a mountain of a man