[Today at 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Phelps leaves for Zona  (Read 21146 times)

Oregon Warrior

• Scholarship Player
Re: Phelps leaves for Zona
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 11:49:43 PM »
Sorry guys. I'm using my phone and I can't get the link to work for some reason.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 12:04:22 AM »
http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2015/5/19/8623825/report-marquette-assistant-mark-phelps-to-leave-for-same-role-at-arizona

There will be an opening on Steve Wojciechowski's coaching staff, it seems.

Jason Scheer of WildcatAuthority.com, an Arizona Wildcats site, tweeted that Marquette assistant Mark Phelps would be joining Arizona's staff as an assistant coach, replacing Damon Stoudamire who left Arizona for Memphis on Monday.

Phelps came to Marquette last year as part of Wojciechowski's inaugural coaching staff. Prior to coming to Marquette, Phelps was an assistant at Missouri under Frank Haith alongside current DePaul head coach Dave Leitao.

Phelps also has experience at the head coaching level, having coached Drake University from 2008-2013. He compiled a 77-86 record in his time at Drake.
SS Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 12:05:03 AM »
nm
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 05:28:44 AM »
Travis Diener......come on down!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 06:22:17 AM »
Travis Diener......come on down!

Do we need someone with more experience?  Right now there is a grand total of one year's experience as a head coach on the staff.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 06:25:21 AM »
Do we need someone with more experience?  Right now there is a grand total of one year's experience as a head coach on the staff.

Bring Jerry Wainwright back.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 08:12:39 AM »
I think there's little doubt that Travis will be elevated to Asst. Coach.  But I agree with the notion that an experienced veteran x and o guy would be great in the Director of Basketball Ops. position.  Pretty sure Jerry wants to stay retired but I have high regard for him.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 08:22:17 AM »
Jeez, you'd think a team that finished ninth in its conference could keep its coaching together for at least a year. Guess not.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 08:29:54 AM »
Jeez, you'd think a team that finished ninth in its conference could keep its coaching together for at least a year. Guess not.

Evidently, the industry holds our coaching staff in high regard in spite of their first year results.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 08:34:19 AM »
Well, if it's not players leaving, it's assistant coaches. Stability doesn't have much of a home at MU.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 08:45:31 AM »
Well, if it's not players leaving, it's assistant coaches. Stability doesn't have much of a home at MU.

Program stability depends on stability at the head coach spot.  Since Al, I don't think that Marquette has had the same guy for as long as a decade.  IIRC, Crean came closest at nine years.

As for assistants, you want guys that other programs covet.  As long as assistants are leaving for promotions or spots at just a few programs that can be considered a step up, it's all good.  Didn't Duke lose a top assistant two years in a row to become a head coach at a Midwest school?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 08:50:25 AM »
Do we need someone with more experience?  Right now there is a grand total of one year's experience as a head coach on the staff.

I think that Wojo's a fast learner.  I'm all for letting him in the pool this year without the floaties.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 08:57:21 AM »

The recruiting under the new regime has been getting an A+.

The in-game coaching last season probably got about a C.

If Phelps was our experienced guy who was supposed to educate Wojo on in-game issues, I'm not too concerned about his departure.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 09:19:14 AM »
The recruiting under the new regime has been getting an A+.

The in-game coaching last season probably got about a C.

If Phelps was our experienced guy who was supposed to educate Wojo on in-game issues, I'm not too concerned about his departure.

Yeah, I think that is pretty much where I fall on this.  Who was the Scooper who knew Drake pretty well who never thought this was a good hire?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 09:19:25 AM »
Program stability depends on stability at the head coach spot.  Since Al, I don't think that Marquette has had the same guy for as long as a decade.  IIRC, Crean came closest at nine years.

As for assistants, you want guys that other programs covet.  As long as assistants are leaving for promotions or spots at just a few programs that can be considered a step up, it's all good.  Didn't Duke lose a top assistant two years in a row to become a head coach at a Midwest school?

After how many years on the Duke staff?

I get it that assistants leave. But it would be nice to keep the same staff together for a few years...rather than having to recalibrate already.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 09:21:43 AM »
Now they can nab one more former top player and make the coaches daily basketball game even better!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 09:23:27 AM »

Yeah, I think that is pretty much where I fall on this.  Who was the Scooper who knew Drake pretty well who never thought this was a good hire?

Yet, Sean Miller must have seen something there.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 09:25:04 AM »
Now they can nab one more former top player and make the coaches daily basketball game even better!

Hopefully its Scheyer so we can see ChiTown's head explode

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 09:27:44 AM »
Hopefully its Scheyer so we can see ChiTown's head explode

And here I was hoping Tim Duncan was gonna retire this year and we could get him.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 09:34:07 AM »
First people bemoan hiring a "loser like Phelps".

Then Arizona hires him and people bemoan "losing assistant coaches".

This isn't a mass-exodus situation.  Wojo is bringing back 80% of his bench back.  People need to settle down.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 09:42:50 AM »
Time for an upgrade!  Go Marquette!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 09:46:57 AM »
Yet, Sean Miller must have seen something there.

Sean Miller may have been looking for something different from what Wojo needs.  Wojo is still learning how to be THE guy for in-game situations.  Miller seems to have a pretty good handle on that already.

Win-win.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015, 09:55:58 AM »
If we allegedly spend the second-most money on our basketball program, how is it that we lose coaches to lateral moves? Is Phelps taking a pay cut? Or do we just not get into bidding wars?