[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kyle Washington  (Read 90119 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Kyle Washington
« on: May 18, 2015, 05:32:48 PM »
Apologies if this topic is posted elsewhere...

Hearing from a good friend of mine who is involved with Xavier recruiting that Marquette is the "clear front-runner" for NC State transfer Kyle Washington.

Do with that what you wish.

brandx

Re: Kyle Washington
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 05:40:55 PM »
Anyone know anything about his younger brother?

Is he a player? Is this another possible 2fer?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 05:56:20 PM »
Wojo in with Pulley connections.  JayBee can fill us in.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 06:00:35 PM »
Have been hopeful on Kyle since hearing of his transfer out of NC State. Him being from my high school is a plus, but really do think the fit is lovely. He liked the school back when Buzz was here.. hoping this deal is sealed soon!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 06:02:52 PM »
Dodds hinted that there was a possibility of a big transferring in. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 06:03:29 PM »
Lesseee...with the most recent commitments, our current roster, and all these guys everybody wants(Washington, the Greek dude, Coffey, Gieslo, and a few other transfers), we will have about 17 guys on the roster for 2016-17, but hey, never stop recruiting. It is all good.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 06:03:45 PM »
While it would temporarily take us out of the running for 2016s, I still think Washington is worth it. Would fit the big rebounder role we are lacking. Wouldn't help for next year, but it'd be worth taking a known quantity while we can.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 06:08:22 PM »
Lesseee...with the most recent commitments, our current roster, and all these guys everybody wants(Washington, the Greek dude, Coffey, Gieslo, and a few other transfers), we will have about 17 guys on the roster for 2016-17, but hey, never stop recruiting. It is all good.

Buzz was right about that.   Never stop recruiting.   If Henry is a one-and-done..... if one of this year's recruits doesn't fit....if Wally decided to concentrate on the high jump....if an upperclassman leaves.....

It will work itself out.   Hopefully, Wojo's recruits are of higher character than Crean's  and manage to not get run off due to weed and booze.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 06:19:26 PM »
Buzz was right about that.   Never stop recruiting.   If Henry is a one-and-done..... if one of this year's recruits doesn't fit....if Wally decided to concentrate on the high jump....if an upperclassman leaves.....

It will work itself out.   Hopefully, Wojo's recruits are of higher character than Crean's  and manage to not get run off due to weed and booze.   

I think it's most likely the bolded part above.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 06:21:00 PM »
While it would temporarily take us out of the running for 2016s, I still think Washington is worth it. Would fit the big rebounder role we are lacking. Wouldn't help for next year, but it'd be worth taking a known quantity while we can.

Would it? Isn't signing one over allowed?  Plus nothing counts until a student signs an LOI if I'm not mistaken.  November (or next March) are a long ways away.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 06:26:23 PM »
Would it? Isn't signing one over allowed?  Plus nothing counts until a student signs an LOI if I'm not mistaken.  November (or next March) are a long ways away.

We could oversign. It would be interesting to see how Wojo handles it if we do land Washington. But the only signing we'd be waiting on is Hauser. Beyond that, only a transfer or early declaration would open a spot.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 06:28:57 PM »

It would be fine. But.. just for clarification --

1) an LOI (or as I like to call it, an NLI - same thing) is done through an optional program. It's not a requirement and doesn't cause you problems from an NCAA rules perspective if you have more 'signed' to an NLI than slots "currently forecast to be" available (conferences can place additional restrictions)...

Also... not that it matters.. but, the early signing period is indeed November next year.. but the regular period is April 13, 2016 - May 18, 2016... no March.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 06:35:27 PM »
It would be fine. But.. just for clarification --

1) an LOI (or as I like to call it, an NLI - same thing) is done through an optional program. It's not a requirement and doesn't cause you problems from an NCAA rules perspective if you have more 'signed' to an NLI than slots "currently forecast to be" available (conferences can place additional restrictions)...

Also... not that it matters.. but, the early signing period is indeed November next year.. but the regular period is April 13, 2016 - May 18, 2016... no March.

Thanks Jay.  Stupid banker terminology.  I meant to say NLI.  Too many damn years.  So tell me, when does having more than 13 scholarship athletes begin to 'count'?  For grins let's consider HE and a decision next April to either enter the NBA draft or not.  Let's say he has this tweet saying that he loves MU so much that he can't leave on or about April 15th.  And let's further say that Hauser, Washington (as a transfer) and one or two others like Coffey or someone else ink in November.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 06:39:09 PM by jsglow »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 06:44:02 PM »
Can't have too many Jewish playas, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 06:50:50 PM »
Thanks Jay.  Stupid banker terminology.  I meant to say NLI.  Too many damn years.  So tell me, when does having more than 13 scholarship athletes begin to 'count'?  For grins let's consider HE and a decision next April to either enter the NBA draft or not.  Let's say he has this tweet saying that he loves MU so much that he can't leave on or about April 15th.  And let's further say that Hauser, Washington (as a transfer) and one or two others like Coffey or someone else ink in November.

Not an expert on the details of this, so don't accept what I'll dream up with certainty.. but... basically it becomes an issue if you attempt to have more than 13 guys enrolled and taking classes while receiving financial aid at the same time.

In general, scholarships are one year renewable arrangements.. and that's important to remember.. I think in most sports - including basketball (but not football)... you can even give kid financial aid in the summer before initial full-time enrollment...and if something happens and the kid leaves (Roseboro might be an example?)... he is NOT a counter.

So in your example.. things would have to get figured out by late August at the latest.. and it would be an issue if you had 14-15 guys wanting to receive financial aid for summer session...  

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 06:59:56 PM »
I could be wrong but with the logjam at shooting guard maybe JJJ is lower on the depth chart. He certainly didn't do much to warrant major minutes next year. Washington would fill a need. Personally I like the way the roster is shaping up especially if we can land Washington. With a year under his belt in the program he fits in nicely at PF
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

Marquette Fan in WI

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 07:39:46 PM »
I laughed out loud at this between this and 4everWarriors I'm always entertained by the scoop

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 08:41:53 PM »
2016 recruits will not help this year, but Washington would help in practice. Both would help next year.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 08:57:16 PM »
I laughed out loud at this between this and 4everWarriors I'm always entertained by the scoop
4ever is just an old toothache with a tacky sense of whatever.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 09:00:20 PM »
I'm really thinking '15-'16 is set with the guys in place.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 09:01:42 PM »
2016 recruits will not help this year, but Washington would help in practice. Both would help next year.

If you're going to play against talented big guys in Big East games, it's got to help to see a talented big in practice.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 09:04:09 PM »
I'm really thinking '15-'16 is set with the guys in place.

Yeah, at some point it seems the regular transfers became a greater priority than the graduate guys, probably right after Miller and Lee declared elsewhere.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 09:31:19 PM »
Yeah, at some point it seems the regular transfers became a greater priority than the graduate guys, probably right after Miller and Lee declared elsewhere.

But wait ... I was supposed to be "concerned" because Wojo didn't have a plan.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 09:38:31 PM »
If we sign Washington, does that take us out of the running for Amir Coffey?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 09:52:24 PM »

Does anyone have a grad transfer update?  I'm still concerned that next year team has 10 players (three open) so we have space and potentially time available. 

I still think a priority has to be picking up grad transfers for next year.  (At this point a 15 HS grad won't work because the roster is full after next year.