[Today at 03:00:28 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Pakuni
[Today at 02:26:49 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette University honors ’70s cop-killer Assata Shakur with mural  (Read 110240 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Marquette has 700 full time tenure track faculty members.  500 part time.  Is 60 a lot in that context?

I never thought how many faculty members there were at Marquette so that number seemed unusually high. We have access to the UDub GAL so I did a quick pull and there are 4,428 faculty at the Seattle campus. That really surprises me.

Death on call

Benny B

• All American
I never thought how many faculty members there were at Marquette so that number seemed unusually high. We have access to the UDub GAL so I did a quick pull and there are 4,428 faculty at the Seattle campus. That really surprises me.

I assume these numbers include a fair number of adjuncts... how many full-time, tenured professors?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American

Yeah your post made me rethink the information I received.

According to Marquette's web site, Marquette has 11,745 students (undergraduate, graduate and professional) and a ratio of 14:1.  That would mean a faculty FTE of about 840.  So that could be 700 full time, but not 500 part time.  I wonder if the 500 figure I got includes all non-faculty employees.  (administration, non-faculty instructors, etc.)

PBRme

• All American
Seems right

If the 11,000 plus students average 4 classes that's 44000 classes
If the ave FT instructor teaches 3 and the ave PT teaches 2 that's (700*3=2100)plus (500 * 2 = 1000)

44000/3100=14.19
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
I assume these numbers include a fair number of adjuncts... how many full-time, tenured professors?

I don't know the composition of the faculty numbers. Two of my colleagues are full professors at Fred Hutch/UDub and two on the tech side were adjuncts in the past (UDub has a program with Microsoft where MS technologists teach classes on their domain expertise at UDub.) 

The use of industry experts as adjuncts is an interesting concept. Marquette might have a similar opportunity being in Milwaukee. Does anyone know if they are doing this?

Death on call

StillAWarrior

• All American
Well... that's a lot better than we usually do.

Never gets old.  For me, at least.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GGGG

• All American
I don't know the composition of the faculty numbers. Two of my colleagues are full professors at Fred Hutch/UDub and two on the tech side were adjuncts in the past (UDub has a program with Microsoft where MS technologists teach classes on their domain expertise at UDub.) 

The use of industry experts as adjuncts is an interesting concept. Marquette might have a similar opportunity being in Milwaukee. Does anyone know if they are doing this?

Yes.  I don't know to what extent, but I do know they have similar people on their staff.  They wouldn't be classified as "faculty" however.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"

Yes.  I don't know to what extent, but I do know they have similar people on their staff.  They wouldn't be classified as "faculty" however.

The two colleagues who did stints at UDub as adjuncts were considered faculty members. MS included that terminology in their official corporate bios.

I like the idea of bringing in expertise from industry to the academic world. This has long been done for statesmen and politicians but much less so for people from industry. I have always questioned why practical perspective from business was devalued by tertiary education.

Death on call

Benny B

• All American
Never gets old.  For me, at least.

I'd say the YouTube gets at least three hits a year from me on average... And I haven't played in 7 years.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Marquette University honors ’70s cop-killer Assata Shakur with mural
« Reply #434 on: June 08, 2015, 07:56:27 AM »
is this old news?  if it has been posted somewhere else, i apologize-petition/protest of mural and firing of gsrc director susannah bartlow

http://mu-warrior.blogspot.com/2015/06/petition-protesting-removal-of-cop.html

was there a petition for/against the removal of prof. mccadams?
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
Re: Marquette University honors ’70s cop-killer Assata Shakur with mural
« Reply #435 on: June 08, 2015, 08:18:04 AM »
It's old news.  The petition began immediately after she was fired.  It really isn't going anywhere and isn't the sign of the apocalypse like McAdams portrays it. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

feedback