[Today at 12:59:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: STJ to Toledo  (Read 13104 times)

pacearrow02

• Starter
STJ to Toledo
« on: May 16, 2015, 08:25:03 AM »
Wonder if playing time was his only concern or if there was a lack of teams calling for his services?  Either way best of luck to him!!

🏀

• All American
Re: STJ to Toledo
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 08:28:57 AM »
Wow, I thought UIC was a lock

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 09:13:34 AM »
Another sad ending to a kid I thought was going to be a good player,lack of development and injury derailed his b-ball
future,but a degree will get him futher!

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 09:35:35 AM »
He could have filled an important role this year.  Oh well.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 02:37:26 PM »
He could have filled an important role this year.  Oh well.

Doubt it.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 02:39:49 PM »
Good Luck  and hope he is happy there

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 02:44:48 PM »
Nice young man. Wish him all the best.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 04:19:44 PM »
Good Luck  and hope he is happy there

Can anyone really be happy in Toledo??

Death on call

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 04:56:55 PM »

Maybe he really loves college. One year at Toledo will feel like four.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 11:18:18 PM »
Disappointing but I wish Steve luck and much happiness.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 12:20:18 AM »

Colonel Maxwell Klinger

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 02:07:32 AM »
Horrendous decision... he might as well stayed here. I am shocked he couldn't have done better than that.

He might as well gone to UWM.

Does he have to sit out a year? That makes it double worse if he does. Ruined his career.

Best of luck. He'll need it. 

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 02:12:07 AM »
Wonder if playing time was his only concern or if there was a lack of teams calling for his services?  Either way best of luck to him!!
No. He just wanted to play. But he could have done that here. Too late now.

But has hot as MU players are now in the NBA and in the D-League whether they are drafted or not.

He would have been better working on his game here unless they were pushing him out the door.

But I agree, great young man though. I wish him nothing but the best.

But I was sure he could land a better situation then that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 03:16:26 AM »

Why? He was a backup forward on a team that finished 9th out of 10th in its conference and was ranked 110 by KenPom (Toledo was ranked higher BTW). What team wants to give up 2 years of scholarship for 1 year of a backup player from a bad high major team?

He stays, he is the backup forward to a freshman on a team that might make the tournament but is probably NIT bound. At Toledo he will be the starter on a team that has a great shot at winning its conference and making the dance as an autobid. If playing time is his priority, seems like a good choice to me. Best of luck to him.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 06:09:20 AM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 07:59:09 AM »

But has hot as MU players are now in the NBA and in the D-League whether they are drafted or not.

How much would he have played at MU?  And you really think Taylor has a shot at the NBA? 

I don't know if it is due to injury or simply being overrated, but Taylor looked slow and mechanical without much of an offensive game.  I just don't think that he is a high major player and a place like Toledo would be good.  Furthermore it gives him an extra year to finish up his degree.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 08:09:02 AM »
Doubt it.

I think we could really use a good, experienced, back up PF to help with rebounding and give us a solid 10-15 mpg next year.  STJ would have been a nice fit for that role and then opened up the scholarship the next year.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 08:16:32 AM »
Good for SJT; after all those years pretending not to be a basketball player, he finally qualified under Rule Section 8 to get out of Milwaukee and back to Toledo

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2015, 08:26:10 AM »
Why? He was a backup forward on a team that finished 9th out of 10th in its conference and was ranked 110 by KenPom (Toledo was ranked higher BTW). What team wants to give up 2 years of scholarship for 1 year of a backup player from a bad high major team?

He stays, he is the backup forward to a freshman on a team that might make the tournament but is probably NIT bound. At Toledo he will be the starter on a team that has a great shot at winning its conference and making the dance as an autobid. If playing time is his priority, seems like a good choice to me. Best of luck to him.

Wow, you follow that MAC that closely to know what Toledo & the rest of the conference's roster makeup will be for the 2016-17 season?

Hard to believe the chance to play bigger minutes for a year at Toledo hoping for a MAC autobid after sitting out a whole season is really worth passing up a Marquette degree, but best of luck to the guy. Feel bad his career didn't go as planned due to injury. He showed a lot of promise his freshman year.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2015, 09:21:28 AM »
Is there any chance Steve graduates from MU with summer school and transfers as a Grad, not sitting out? I don't believe this to be the case, but would make a hell of a lot more sense.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 09:23:29 AM »
Is there any chance Steve graduates from MU with summer school and transfers as a Grad, not sitting out? I don't believe this to be the case, but would make a hell of a lot more sense.

From what I understand, he will not earn enough credits.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2015, 10:14:10 AM »

He would have been better working on his game here unless they were pushing him out the door.

But I agree, great young man though. I wish him nothing but the best.

That seems hard to believe.  But does anybody know for sure?  Did he leave just to get more PT someplace else?

And as for UWM, IIRC, I think they have to sit out the postseason one more year (possibly two)

EDIT: PT=Playing Time (not Paint Touches...though I suppose both work in that context)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 11:06:29 AM »
Wow, you follow that MAC that closely to know what Toledo & the rest of the conference's roster makeup will be for the 2016-17 season?

I actually do  :D. Of course anything can happen, transfers, injuries, etc. But Toledo will be a very good MAC team for at least the next two years.

Hard to believe the chance to play bigger minutes for a year at Toledo hoping for a MAC autobid after sitting out a whole season is really worth passing up a Marquette degree, but best of luck to the guy.

I think you vastly overestimate how much a guy who plans to play professional basketball for a career values what school his degree is from.

Taylor was going to be a senior. He was going to come off the bench behind a freshman and a junior. That wouldn't sit well with a lot of people. Gets to go be a starter in Toledo.
TAMU

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2015, 04:17:26 PM »

I actually do  :D. Of course anything can happen, transfers, injuries, etc. But Toledo will be a very good MAC team for at least the next two years.

I think you vastly overestimate how much a guy who plans to play professional basketball for a career values what school his degree is from.

Taylor was going to be a senior. He was going to come off the bench behind a freshman and a junior. That wouldn't sit well with a lot of people. Gets to go be a starter in Toledo.

What could Taylor's realistic professional aspirations honestly be though? He's not very skilled and after the knee injury  isn't very athletic. I get maybe wanting to sit a year and rehab, but we have a ton of open schollies, he could havd accomplished the same thing redshirting here and replacing Ellenson as starter after his 1 & done year.

If you feel you need to go down to the MAC to get PT, you're not going to have much of a professional career anyway. Obviously he sees it differently and I hope it works out for him.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2015, 04:56:47 PM »
What could Taylor's realistic professional aspirations honestly be though? He's not very skilled and after the knee injury  isn't very athletic. I get maybe wanting to sit a year and rehab, but we have a ton of open schollies, he could havd accomplished the same thing redshirting here and replacing Ellenson as starter after his 1 & done year.

If you feel you need to go down to the MAC to get PT, you're not going to have much of a professional career anyway. Obviously he sees it differently and I hope it works out for him.

I didn't say NBA professional. He'll be playing in Europe...or maybe South America. But he'll be playing.
TAMU