'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA Rules Change Proposal  (Read 11216 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
NCAA Rules Change Proposal
« on: May 16, 2015, 06:09:40 AM »
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/men-s-basketball-rules-committee-recommends-package-proposals-improve-game

Lots of big changes seem to be coming. Here are a few of the highlights...
  • Expanding 3-foot arc to 4 to reduce collisions around the hoop.
  • Reducing moving screens.
  • Reducing shot clock to 30 seconds.
  • Remove one timeout in the second half.
  • If a timeout is called within 30 seconds of a media timeout or at any time when a dead ball would cause a media timeout, that timeout becomes the media timeout (e.g. 16:30, 12:20, 7:55 without stoppage, etc.)
  • Coach cannot call live ball timeouts. Must be called by player on the court.
  • Only 10 seconds to cross the timeline. Presumably will not reset with a timeout.
  • Faked fouls are reviewable and can be punished (cough, Gasser, Kaminsky, cough).
  • Shot clock violations or non-violations are reviewable.
  • 6 fouls proposed for postseason play. Guessing will be experimented with in the NIT/CBI first.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 06:14:19 AM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: NCAA Rules Change Proposal
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 07:32:10 AM »
Anything that reduces timeouts is a winner.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 07:33:25 AM »
Not a big fan of that media timeout rule. I plan my runs to the Tap House when someone fouls right before a media timeout.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 07:40:45 AM »
I love going to 6 fouls before disqualifying a player.  Right now I suspect that at times fouls aren't called by refs who don't want to be accused of deciding a game by disqualifying a key player.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 08:09:52 AM »
I love going to 6 fouls before disqualifying a player.  Right now I suspect that at times fouls aren't called by refs who don't want to be accused of deciding a game by disqualifying a key player.
I totally agree that fouls aren't called but I hate the idea of having different rules for the post season versus regular season.  Test it out in the NIT/CBA like with the 30 second clock but don't have the rules change in March.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 08:17:54 AM »
I love the new timeout rules.  It's so annoying when you get a TO, then they play for a few seconds, and suddenly you get another.  And taking away a second half one is even better.  Just play the game.

Wonder if they're going to call the fake foul thing the "Bo Ryan rule."

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 08:43:10 AM »

And how will this change in the rules change a referee's MO/fortitude/integrity?
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 08:47:48 AM »
I would like a sixth foul in overtime, but not regulation. No need, IMO.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 12:09:01 PM »
If a timeout is called within 30 seconds of a media timeout or at any time when a dead ball would cause a media timeout, that timeout becomes the media timeout (e.g. 16:30, 12:20, 7:55 without stoppage, etc.)

Thank GOD

Edit: Eliminating the five-second closely guarded rule while dribbling the ball. why???????
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 12:12:28 PM by theburreffect2 »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 12:59:18 PM »
I think the best thing is not allowing coaches to call time outs when the game is in progress. I do not think we need a 6Th foul, but should make charges just be turnovers and not a foul. I like the fake foul rule, but I do not think it will really work. I hate it when the player with the ball jerks his head like he was fouled even though he was not even touched. As long as they are going to penalize the fake foul they should also penalize the players who after knocking the ball out of bounds point as if it is their ball to influence the refs call.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 01:44:37 PM »
- Allowing officials to use the monitor to review a potential shot clock violation on made field goals throughout the entire game.

Combining this with the shorter shot clock could spell trouble. Flow-of-game issues caused by more monitor reviews. Awful.

- Eliminating the five-second closely guarded rule while dribbling the ball.

I need to understanding the thinking on this one.

- Removing the prohibition on dunking in pregame warmups.

Wait til a couple of rims are eff'd up during warmups...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brandx

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 02:19:17 PM »
The one rule I would favor over any of these is that only the offensive team can call a time out.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 07:53:31 PM »
I would like a sixth foul in overtime, but not regulation. No need, IMO.

Completely agree.  Five fouls in 40 minutes is plenty.  The NBA has six because they play 48 minutes.  In overtime period(s) they should go up to six.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 09:00:26 PM »
Completely agree.  Five fouls in 40 minutes is plenty.  The NBA has six because they play 48 minutes.  In overtime period(s) they should go up to six.

The objective of overtime is to end the game, not extend it.  Let them foul out so a winner can be determined.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 09:33:12 PM »
not a fan of many or any of these. 6 fouls for an overtime game would be good. but does someone who got disqualified for having 5 fouls before the overtime period get allowed back in the game when the overtime period starts? doesn't think that should be allowed, but then why should everyone else get an extra foul while they don't?

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 11:17:04 PM »
The objective of overtime is to end the game, not extend it.  Let them foul out so a winner can be determined.

Not seeing the correlation there.  Why would the fact that players have an extra foul have any impact on additional overtimes being played?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 12:18:06 AM »
Not seeing the correlation there.  Why would the fact that players have an extra foul have any impact on additional overtimes being played?

Because eventually, the team that brings 16 guys will be playing 5-on-3 against the team that is #7strong. Hooray for attrition!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 12:36:46 AM »
6 fouls will make it much harder to upset the better team. The one hope every team has going into a game against a higher ranked team is that their opponent's star gets in foul trouble. 6 fouls would make the outcome more predictable and therefore the games will be less exciting.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2015, 06:37:36 AM »

If a game goes to overtime, we can assume the teams are even that day.  Need to make them "uneven" to get a victory.  Foul trouble/fouling out is a good catalyst to making one team uneven to end the game.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2015, 11:13:15 AM »

it doesn't. just a way heisenberg can guarantee he gets the most quoted post on the thread. "im so popular guys!"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 11:40:22 AM »
6 fouls will make it much harder to upset the better team. The one hope every team has going into a game against a higher ranked team is that their opponent's star gets in foul trouble. 6 fouls would make the outcome more predictable and therefore the games will be less exciting.

I'd argue the opposite is often true. A lesser team competes well against a better team because of their star having an unreal game. Foul trouble can change this quickly.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2015, 11:51:24 AM »
it doesn't. just a way heisenberg can guarantee he gets the most quoted post on the thread. "im so popular guys!"

Huh?  How does one measure this?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 01:44:04 PM »
Man, Ed Cooley is gonna be pissed about the time out rule, calling TO's right before a media timeout was his jam
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2015, 01:56:34 PM »
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/men-s-basketball-rules-committee-recommends-package-proposals-improve-game

• If a timeout is called within 30 seconds of a media timeout or at any time when a dead ball would cause a media timeout, that timeout becomes the media timeout (e.g. 16:30, 12:20, 7:55 without stoppage, etc.)
  • Only 10 seconds to cross the timeline. Presumably will not reset with a timeout.
  • Faked fouls are reviewable and can be punished (cough, Gasser, Kaminsky, cough).
  • 6 fouls proposed for postseason play. Guessing will be experimented with in the NIT/CBI first.
1.  Good.   Cuts down on traffic under the rim.
2.  Moving screens are already prohibited.   Will the definition be changed?
3.  I don't like it.   If you want to promote scoring, teach shooting, cut down on hand checks, cut down on bumping cutters. 
4.  I don't like it.   Shorten the time outs, don't take them away.   I like the tension build in the last couple minutes as a team makes a run.  .
5. Neutral.
6. The arena is going crazy, the coach desperately wants a timeout, the PG isn't looking over, the play doesn't get called, the game is lost.    I don't like it. 
7.  Like this one.   Hate the TO's called at 9 with the ball still 20 feet from mid court and then getting a fresh count.   
8.  You want to speed up the game while simultaneously reviewing possible fake fouls?   Conflicting goals.
9.  This one I like.
10. 6 fouls will come eventually.   I don't like the bifurcation. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2015, 02:58:24 PM »

Wait til a couple of rims are eff'd up during warmups...

It's not 1938 anymore. The rims in 2015 can easily handle the dunking.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2015, 05:35:20 PM »
1977 scoring averages 77.4 points per game.  No shot clock, some teams playing 4 corners.

2015 scoring average with a 35 seconds shot clock.....67.74 points per game.

Outstanding. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2015, 05:39:14 PM »
1977 scoring averages 77.4 points per game.  No shot clock, some teams playing 4 corners.

Outstanding. 

Fails to mention the talent level of defenses during both eras.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2015, 05:42:08 PM »

Also fails to note that there was no 3 point shot in 1977....   ;)

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2015, 05:44:58 PM »
Also fails to note that there was no 3 point shot in 1977....   ;)

Three point line wasn't needed with how awfully spread out defenses were in the 70's.

brandx

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2015, 05:46:19 PM »

Not to mention it is an entirely different game. There was no 3-point shot and most teams won or lost based on their mid-range game and getting the ball to the low post. Chicos comment is typical of the back to the future strategy he employs for every single issue.

Also, Dean's strategy was for when they were ahead - it wasn't a wire to wire plan.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2015, 05:47:56 PM »
Three point line wasn't needed with how awfully spread out defenses were in the 70's.

Just a hunch, but I'm going to say that kids playing all 4 years back then, understanding systems, playing purer form of basketball and less of the individual crap we too often see, also made more efficient offenses back then.

The three point line has given teams the ability to score more points on a possession and also opened up lanes by spreading the court, but scoring levels are still down since then.  Just as they went down from the 45 second shot clock to the 35 second shot clock over time.

brandx

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2015, 05:54:33 PM »

Outstanding. 

Wow. Silly Stats that means nothing.

In the last year without the 3-point shots, the scoring average was 69.4 ppg. So I guess that means that the 3 pointer in college basketball reduces scoring

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2015, 07:19:56 PM »
Just a hunch, but I'm going to say that kids playing all 4 years back then, understanding systems, playing purer form of basketball and less of the individual crap we too often see, also made more efficient offenses back then.

The three point line has given teams the ability to score more points on a possession and also opened up lanes by spreading the court, but scoring levels are still down since then.  Just as they went down from the 45 second shot clock to the 35 second shot clock over time.

Are you trying to tell me that college teams in the 70's would beat the ones in 2015? Cause you would be dead wrong. Just like the 80's nba teams would be annihilated by the physicality of todays teams.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2015, 07:22:49 PM »
Are you trying to tell me that college teams in the 70's would beat the ones in 2015? Cause you would be dead wrong. Just like the 80's nba teams would be annihilated by the physicality of todays teams.

Yeah, I think some of those college teams of the 1970s' with UCLA, Kentucky, etc, would do just fine against today's teams.  Just fine.  Experience alone. 

I don't agree with your 80's NBA team comments either.  It's funny how quickly we forget about great players or teams and just assume that the most recent version is the best version.  That isn't always the case.  Yes, players get bigger, stronger, etc and its tough to compare against eras, in fact it is foolhardy. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2015, 07:27:36 PM »
Yeah, I think some of those college teams of the 1970s' with UCLA, Kentucky, etc, would do just fine against today's teams.  Just fine.  Experience alone. 

I don't agree with your 80's NBA team comments either.  It's funny how quickly we forget about great players or teams and just assume that the most recent version is the best version.  That isn't always the case.  Yes, players get bigger, stronger, etc and its tough to compare against eras, in fact it is foolhardy. 

Why do the leading scorers of today score so much less than the top scorers of the 70's, would you say?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2015, 07:43:58 PM »
Why do the leading scorers of today score so much less than the top scorers of the 70's, would you say?

Defenses are so much more sophisticated, intricate, and physical.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2015, 07:46:09 PM »
Defenses are so much more sophisticated, intricate, and physical.   

But why isn't TEAM scoring down as much as the top individual scoring? Better balance on rosters? More talented players? I could go with that... but, seems like there's something more.

brandx

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2015, 07:49:03 PM »

Jim Boeheim disagrees. He thinks it would be no contest.

And I think the Lakers / Celtics teams of the 80's would be just fine today. Actually better than fine.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2015, 07:50:32 PM »
Because defenses are so much better, it is easier to slow down the great scorer.   Helping, switching, forcing the guard to the sideline on the high pick and roll, bumping the cutter, better scouting, etc.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2015, 10:19:25 PM »

Way too simple to say just the defenses are better, though I see that is a common theme.  Yes, defenses are intricate, but so are offenses. 

In my view, the fundamentals aren't there across the board.  The AAU nonsense doesn't help IMO.  Also kids don't play together as long, so the cohesion isn't there.  The more you play together as a unit, the better the offense and defense will be. Kids bailing early, transferring at alarming rates, too much focus on the name on the back of the shirt instead of the one on the front (trying to make a statement).  In my view, the shot clock hasn't helped things.  Scoring is down and our solution is to keep speeding it up, make these kids think even faster, shoot when they aren't ready. 

I suspect the volume of D1 teams has not helped as some kids playing DI today wouldn't be back in the day....resulting in dilution.  Though, having said that, a lot of people think that today's players are so much better than players in the past that would not fit well with their argument as presumably today's players on the 300th ranked team are better than those on the 250th ranked team from the 1980's when DI was smaller. 

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2015, 09:00:29 AM »
6. The arena is going crazy, the coach desperately wants a timeout, the PG isn't looking over, the play doesn't get called, the game is lost.    I don't like it. 

This is the only one that jumped out at me as wrong. I mean, god forbid these guys have to actually use what they were supposed to have learned pre-game without needing to be told again.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2015, 10:09:36 AM »
This is the only one that jumped out at me as wrong. I mean, god forbid these guys have to actually use what they were supposed to have learned pre-game without needing to be told again.

What they should have learned in the pre-game is to call a timeout when your coach is jumping up and down screaming for one.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2015, 10:27:04 AM »

I like a lot of these. Getting rid of one time out and ending the time-out/play 10 seconds/ media time out fiasco are especially good.

I don't like the 6th foul for postseason; play the same rules as regular season, please. Not a huge fan of reviewing shot-clock violations because it's bound to ruin the flow of games, but I guess that's balanced by getting the call right.

I'd especially like to see them enforce moving-screen rules, because it has become an epidemic. I first noticed it in college ball with the 2005 Illinois team. James Augustine, an athletic big man, seemed to set a dozen moving screens per game and was just about never called. It probably happened plenty before that, but that's when I started noticing.

Today, the big men in pro and college ball stick out their butts, stick out their legs and hook defenders with their arms. DeAndre Jordan probably did it 10 times just yesterday. Kevin Garnett used to do it every position. I don't know how it isn't an offensive foul when Dwight Howard hooks a defender with his arm when the defender is trying to stay with Harden.

What's especially comical is when, on the 20th time a guy does it in a game, a ref calls it. This happened to Garnett a few years ago, and he went ballistic. It was an obvious offensive foul - but the refs let him do it all season and probably a dozen times that game, so it's hard to blame him for wondering, "Why this time?"

Teach your guys how to set screens properly and then have the refs enforce the rules. That's all you need to do. I mean, Malone didn't grab the defender every time he set a pick-and-pop screen for Stockton -- because if he did he'd have been called for it and because Sloan emphasized doing it right.
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2015, 05:20:21 PM »
It may not be that defenses have inherently improved, but it could be simply that basketball players are now taller and wider than they were in 1977, which may look as though better defense is played now relative to the 70s.

For example, Dikembe Mutombo had a wingspan of like 7 feet ten inches or some ridiculous number.  LeBron is 6'9 250.  Players from the 70s don't look nearly as, well, huge as they do now.  Yet the court is the exact same size.  So, while the court size has stayed the same size, the players playing on it have grown in both weight, wingspan, and likely speed (covering more area in a shorter span of time).  This clutters up the court, causing fewer close shots and ultimately fewer points scored.

brandx

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2015, 06:25:26 PM »
But why isn't TEAM scoring down as much as the top individual scoring? Better balance on rosters? More talented players? I could go with that... but, seems like there's something more.

Maybe the summer circuits have something to do with it?

Kids are ready to play now coming out of HS. Back in the 70's and 80's most high school kids played 20 or so games in their HS schedule and that was it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2015, 10:57:59 AM »

Looks like 1, 3, 4 and 5 were approved by the NCAA.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2015, 07:53:32 AM »
Looks like 1, 3, 4 and 5 were approved by the NCAA.

I wish they bring back the jump ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2015, 08:08:22 AM »
And the women are going to 4 10-minute quarters.  Are the guys next?
Have some patience, FFS.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • βœ… Verified Member
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2015, 08:59:04 AM »
And the women are going to 4 10-minute quarters.  Are the guys next?

4 10-minute quarters with no timeouts would be my ideal game to watch.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2015, 09:05:09 AM »
4 10-minute quarters with no timeouts would be my ideal game to watch.

Four, 10 minute quarters with TV timeouts after 5:00 would be fine with me.  Give the networks an extra :30 seconds of timeouts in between quarters to make up for the difference.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2015, 09:13:18 AM »
I like all the changes.  Now reduce the time on flagrant foul reviews and we're in good shape.  Nothing like an unnecessary five minute delay for a call that should take 15 seconds to review.