Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA Rules Change Proposal  (Read 11275 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
NCAA Rules Change Proposal
« on: May 16, 2015, 06:09:40 AM »
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/men-s-basketball-rules-committee-recommends-package-proposals-improve-game

Lots of big changes seem to be coming. Here are a few of the highlights...
  • Expanding 3-foot arc to 4 to reduce collisions around the hoop.
  • Reducing moving screens.
  • Reducing shot clock to 30 seconds.
  • Remove one timeout in the second half.
  • If a timeout is called within 30 seconds of a media timeout or at any time when a dead ball would cause a media timeout, that timeout becomes the media timeout (e.g. 16:30, 12:20, 7:55 without stoppage, etc.)
  • Coach cannot call live ball timeouts. Must be called by player on the court.
  • Only 10 seconds to cross the timeline. Presumably will not reset with a timeout.
  • Faked fouls are reviewable and can be punished (cough, Gasser, Kaminsky, cough).
  • Shot clock violations or non-violations are reviewable.
  • 6 fouls proposed for postseason play. Guessing will be experimented with in the NIT/CBI first.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 06:14:19 AM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: NCAA Rules Change Proposal
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 07:32:10 AM »
Anything that reduces timeouts is a winner.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 07:33:25 AM »
Not a big fan of that media timeout rule. I plan my runs to the Tap House when someone fouls right before a media timeout.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 07:40:45 AM »
I love going to 6 fouls before disqualifying a player.  Right now I suspect that at times fouls aren't called by refs who don't want to be accused of deciding a game by disqualifying a key player.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 08:09:52 AM »
I love going to 6 fouls before disqualifying a player.  Right now I suspect that at times fouls aren't called by refs who don't want to be accused of deciding a game by disqualifying a key player.
I totally agree that fouls aren't called but I hate the idea of having different rules for the post season versus regular season.  Test it out in the NIT/CBA like with the 30 second clock but don't have the rules change in March.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 08:17:54 AM »
I love the new timeout rules.  It's so annoying when you get a TO, then they play for a few seconds, and suddenly you get another.  And taking away a second half one is even better.  Just play the game.

Wonder if they're going to call the fake foul thing the "Bo Ryan rule."

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 08:43:10 AM »

And how will this change in the rules change a referee's MO/fortitude/integrity?
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 08:47:48 AM »
I would like a sixth foul in overtime, but not regulation. No need, IMO.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 12:09:01 PM »
If a timeout is called within 30 seconds of a media timeout or at any time when a dead ball would cause a media timeout, that timeout becomes the media timeout (e.g. 16:30, 12:20, 7:55 without stoppage, etc.)

Thank GOD

Edit: Eliminating the five-second closely guarded rule while dribbling the ball. why???????
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 12:12:28 PM by theburreffect2 »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 12:59:18 PM »
I think the best thing is not allowing coaches to call time outs when the game is in progress. I do not think we need a 6Th foul, but should make charges just be turnovers and not a foul. I like the fake foul rule, but I do not think it will really work. I hate it when the player with the ball jerks his head like he was fouled even though he was not even touched. As long as they are going to penalize the fake foul they should also penalize the players who after knocking the ball out of bounds point as if it is their ball to influence the refs call.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 01:44:37 PM »
- Allowing officials to use the monitor to review a potential shot clock violation on made field goals throughout the entire game.

Combining this with the shorter shot clock could spell trouble. Flow-of-game issues caused by more monitor reviews. Awful.

- Eliminating the five-second closely guarded rule while dribbling the ball.

I need to understanding the thinking on this one.

- Removing the prohibition on dunking in pregame warmups.

Wait til a couple of rims are eff'd up during warmups...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brandx

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 02:19:17 PM »
The one rule I would favor over any of these is that only the offensive team can call a time out.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 07:53:31 PM »
I would like a sixth foul in overtime, but not regulation. No need, IMO.

Completely agree.  Five fouls in 40 minutes is plenty.  The NBA has six because they play 48 minutes.  In overtime period(s) they should go up to six.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 09:00:26 PM »
Completely agree.  Five fouls in 40 minutes is plenty.  The NBA has six because they play 48 minutes.  In overtime period(s) they should go up to six.

The objective of overtime is to end the game, not extend it.  Let them foul out so a winner can be determined.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 09:33:12 PM »
not a fan of many or any of these. 6 fouls for an overtime game would be good. but does someone who got disqualified for having 5 fouls before the overtime period get allowed back in the game when the overtime period starts? doesn't think that should be allowed, but then why should everyone else get an extra foul while they don't?

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 11:17:04 PM »
The objective of overtime is to end the game, not extend it.  Let them foul out so a winner can be determined.

Not seeing the correlation there.  Why would the fact that players have an extra foul have any impact on additional overtimes being played?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 12:18:06 AM »
Not seeing the correlation there.  Why would the fact that players have an extra foul have any impact on additional overtimes being played?

Because eventually, the team that brings 16 guys will be playing 5-on-3 against the team that is #7strong. Hooray for attrition!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 12:36:46 AM »
6 fouls will make it much harder to upset the better team. The one hope every team has going into a game against a higher ranked team is that their opponent's star gets in foul trouble. 6 fouls would make the outcome more predictable and therefore the games will be less exciting.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2015, 06:37:36 AM »

If a game goes to overtime, we can assume the teams are even that day.  Need to make them "uneven" to get a victory.  Foul trouble/fouling out is a good catalyst to making one team uneven to end the game.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2015, 11:13:15 AM »

it doesn't. just a way heisenberg can guarantee he gets the most quoted post on the thread. "im so popular guys!"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 11:40:22 AM »
6 fouls will make it much harder to upset the better team. The one hope every team has going into a game against a higher ranked team is that their opponent's star gets in foul trouble. 6 fouls would make the outcome more predictable and therefore the games will be less exciting.

I'd argue the opposite is often true. A lesser team competes well against a better team because of their star having an unreal game. Foul trouble can change this quickly.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2015, 11:51:24 AM »
it doesn't. just a way heisenberg can guarantee he gets the most quoted post on the thread. "im so popular guys!"

Huh?  How does one measure this?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 01:44:04 PM »
Man, Ed Cooley is gonna be pissed about the time out rule, calling TO's right before a media timeout was his jam
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2015, 01:56:34 PM »
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/men-s-basketball-rules-committee-recommends-package-proposals-improve-game

Lots of big changes seem to be coming. Here are a few of the highlights...
  • Expanding 3-foot arc to 4 to reduce collisions around the hoop.
  • Reducing moving screens.
  • Reducing shot clock to 30 seconds.
  • Remove one timeout in the second half.
  • If a timeout is called within 30 seconds of a media timeout or at any time when a dead ball would cause a media timeout, that timeout becomes the media timeout (e.g. 16:30, 12:20, 7:55 without stoppage, etc.)
  • Coach cannot call live ball timeouts. Must be called by player on the court.
  • Only 10 seconds to cross the timeline. Presumably will not reset with a timeout.
  • Faked fouls are reviewable and can be punished (cough, Gasser, Kaminsky, cough).
  • Shot clock violations or non-violations are reviewable.
  • 6 fouls proposed for postseason play. Guessing will be experimented with in the NIT/CBI first.
1.  Good.   Cuts down on traffic under the rim.
2.  Moving screens are already prohibited.   Will the definition be changed?
3.  I don't like it.   If you want to promote scoring, teach shooting, cut down on hand checks, cut down on bumping cutters. 
4.  I don't like it.   Shorten the time outs, don't take them away.   I like the tension build in the last couple minutes as a team makes a run.  .
5. Neutral.
6. The arena is going crazy, the coach desperately wants a timeout, the PG isn't looking over, the play doesn't get called, the game is lost.    I don't like it. 
7.  Like this one.   Hate the TO's called at 9 with the ball still 20 feet from mid court and then getting a fresh count.   
8.  You want to speed up the game while simultaneously reviewing possible fake fouls?   Conflicting goals.
9.  This one I like.
10. 6 fouls will come eventually.   I don't like the bifurcation. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2015, 02:58:24 PM »

Wait til a couple of rims are eff'd up during warmups...

It's not 1938 anymore. The rims in 2015 can easily handle the dunking.