Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ellenson NBA prospects  (Read 25864 times)

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
Ellenson NBA prospects
« on: May 15, 2015, 06:46:40 AM »
This should be an interesting year for MU and Henry.  If HS was still eligible for draft, he would've been a lock for the 1st round this year......given his length and skill set, I think he would be looking at lotto.

The most reputable mock draft has him going #5 next year
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/

Personally,  I don't think he will be that good as a Freshman.  Solid,  but Freshman take their lumps.  Regardless, I see him as a "one and done".......every NBA team knows him.....legit NBA center size with wing skills and athleticism to boot.......NBA scouts at EVERY game this year

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 06:54:39 AM by DomJamesToTheBasket »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Ellenson NBA prospects
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 07:08:03 AM »
We'll see. While most top-10 recruits seem like one and dones, every year there are guys that come back. Justin Jackson and Theo Pinson (2014), the Harrisons and Dakari Johnson (2013), Kaleb Tarczewski and Cam Ridley (2012), James McAdoo and Adonis Thomas (2011), Harrison Barnes and Jared Sullinger (and others in 2010). Maybe Henry goes, I'd say it's probably a 60% chance. But if he doesn't adjust as quickly as we hope or simply needs polish on his game, maybe he'll end up staying. He wouldn't be the first and certainly not the last.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 07:20:30 AM »
Freshmen do not have to be that good. NBA drafts young players based on their expected improvement.  Seniors have to be very good to get drafted.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 07:22:00 AM »
I agree Brew.  I just hope WOJO isn't a dick and sits him for Frosh mistakes.  HE is one of the highest rated recruits to ever come to MU.  I will be very disappointed if HE doesn't get at least 30 minutes.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 07:24:14 AM »
Freshmen do not have to be that good. NBA drafts young players based on their expected improvement.  Seniors have to be very good to get drafted.
EXACTLY

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 07:24:58 AM »
Legit question, but I have come to the conclusion that trying to predict what an 18-20 year old kid will do is an exercise in futility.

I thought Dominic was gone for sure after his freshman year, but he stayed four years.  I thought Jerel was gone for sure after his junior year, but he stayed and made AA.  I thought Vander was back for sure after his junior year, and he left.

Add that to Brew's list of "sure" one-and-dones who stayed, and my plan is just to enjoy watching Henry as long as he is here.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 07:33:06 AM »
Legit question, but I have come to the conclusion that trying to predict what an 18-20 year old kid will do is an exercise in futility.

I thought Dominic was gone for sure after his freshman year, but he stayed four years.  I thought Jerel was gone for sure after his junior year, but he stayed and made AA.  I thought Vander was back for sure after his junior year, and he left.

Add that to Brew's list of "sure" one-and-dones who stayed, and my plan is just to enjoy watching Henry as long as he is here.

It pains me to say it as a diehard,  but Dominic should've left for the NBA after his Freshman year....he would've been a 1st round pick and made a few million.....probably a late 1st

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 07:53:19 AM »

But if a guy goes to college and doesn't look like the player you thought he was, he could easily not get drafted. Henry could come in and put up 12/6 and look like a surefire lottery pick, or put up 12/6 and hear that he needs another year to guarantee a first-round pick. It will depend a lot on if he looks NBA ready and if he is able to continue to impose his will on players at this level. If he comes in and gets numbers but doesn't do so in a way that screams NBA talent, he would likely be better served coming back.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 08:04:08 AM »
The Harrison twins are the best example I can think.  Both were projected one-n-done lottery picks coming out of HS, with one being projected as high as the 5-7 range.  Then they played in college.  After one year they were projected late 1st/early 2nd.  After two years they are now mid-2nd to undrafted.

Maybe Henry will ball out, be one-n-done, and have people wondering if Dirk Nowitzki is his real father.  But he could just as easily be a two, three, or four year player.  Let's just let it play out and enjoy the ride.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 08:06:14 AM »
It pains me to say it as a diehard,  but Dominic should've left for the NBA after his Freshman year....he would've been a 1st round pick and made a few million.....probably a late 1st

You're probably right.  But for every Dominic who might have been better off leaving early, there are plenty of kids who leave early and probably would have been better off staying.  

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 08:14:49 AM »
You're probably right.  But for every Dominic who might have been better off leaving early, there are plenty of kids who leave early and probably would have been better off staying.  

I agree.  But Henry is a different story.  His stock is sky high. He would be a 1st rounder this year if HS was eligible.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 08:19:07 AM »
I agree Brew.  I just hope WOJO isn't a dick and sits him for Frosh mistakes.

If Henry isn't playing well, and Wojo sits him, that means he's a dick?

The head coach has to worry about more than one player.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 08:21:33 AM »

You sit a guy making frosh mistakes in the hope that he doesn't make the same mistake again. There's a big difference between sitting a guy down for a couple minutes to clear his head and having him ride pine the rest of the game. Carlino was a great example this year, Wojo would sit him for mistakes, but usually get him back in quickly. Some others, like Jajuan or Steve, would end up with much longer spells for the same mistakes. It will probably depend on how well Henry learns from his mistakes and how necessary he is on the floor.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »

Openly advocating for head games, ai'na?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 08:27:19 AM »
Openly advocating for head games, ai'na?

Maybe I should change my handle to Western Texas, hey?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2015, 08:29:52 AM »
I agree Brew.  I just hope WOJO isn't a dick and sits him for Frosh mistakes.  HE is one of the highest rated recruits to ever come to MU.  I will be very disappointed if HE doesn't get at least 30 minutes.

I don't get this.

So if he makes freshman mistakes, he should not be sat because he is a higher rated prospect?  If he is truly a good player, he won't make as many mistakes.  So he won't sit.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2015, 08:50:34 AM »
If/when HE leaves for the NBA it will pain me as a MU fan, however when you hear "....starting at forward from Marquette University.......Henry Ellenson!"

A 5 star HS kid says to himself...didn't Jimmy Butler go to Marquette?, didn't Jae Crowder go to Marquette? I think D Wade went there too.

It's a win/win.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2015, 10:05:09 AM »
I'm super excited to see both Ellenson's playing togther....Henry and Wally.....I ironically see the big man throwing the oop

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2015, 10:57:32 AM »

I agree with all of this (and with what brew says).

The one factor nobody is mentioning:

What if he simply likes being in college? What if he wants to play another year with his brother? What if he wants to be a kid a little longer? What if his parents really want him to stay in college longer -- kind of the opposite of when not-ready-to-play kids have advisers whispering "Go!" in their ears.

There are all kinds of reasons Henry could decide to stay a second season. There is only one reason to go -- $$$$ -- and yes, it is a compelling one.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2015, 11:17:54 AM »
The only reason Henry will be at MU is to play out the rest of his brother's career with him.

I agree with all of this (and with what brew says).

The one factor nobody is mentioning:

What if he simply likes being in college? What if he wants to play another year with his brother? What if he wants to be a kid a little longer? What if his parents really want him to stay in college longer -- kind of the opposite of when not-ready-to-play kids have advisers whispering "Go!" in their ears.

There are all kinds of reasons Henry could decide to stay a second season. There is only one reason to go -- $$$$ -- and yes, it is a compelling one.

No.  If you are dominating your competition your rate of improvement will plateau.  Sometimes you need a new challenge.  Oh, and being able to focus on your career without the other commitments (such as being in school and having to study).

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2015, 11:20:48 AM »
I want Henry to do what's best for him in a year. Part of that is a personal decision and feeling. I'm OK with whatever path he chooses.

This year for him will be a lot about eFG%. His shot selection will dictate much of this. Lots of possibilities for him with regard to eFG%.

Finally, I know others have crapped on Andrew Harrison, but I think he's legit. Would be thrilled to get him in the second round.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2015, 11:29:26 AM »
Andrew Harrison had a strong day in the first day of scrimmages.  Calipari didn't really do much to develop him though.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2015, 01:09:39 PM »
Having Wally for two obviously increases the chances big time.

It's tough though. I want him to do as well as possible but I also know that 2016-2017 would be our year. So if he goes off too much he won't be around lol.

But ultimately it's up to him. I just hope if he does go 1 and done it's because he had a great 1 and done type of year. Not leaving off potential.

Want that year to be worth it at least!!
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2015, 01:12:33 PM »
Respect the process, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2015, 01:15:27 PM »
Henry will be with us all four years. We need to tone down the expectations. He is a very solid All State talent for sure and one of the better players that has come along in recent years. But remember all the highlight videos you are watching are against kids who are smaller and less talented. It will take some time for him to adjust. I am confident he will make the transition but I just think it will take some time.

When Henry got to the U-17 he rode the pine a lot and was not nearly as dominant, and that was against other national teams that were not necessarily great either. His best games were against very weak teams. He is not NBA ready yet.

I think his freshman stats will be similar to Lukes this year. By the time he is a senior he will be one of the better players in the Big East.  
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

feedback