[Today at 09:23:57 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by avid1010
[Today at 09:16:40 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Northwestern Fans Want To Play MU!  (Read 4744 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Northwestern Fans Want To Play MU!
« on: May 06, 2015, 03:48:55 PM »
Boy do I agree with the first highlighted part! (no more Mississippi Valley State!!!)

5 teams for Northwestern Basketball to play in non-conference

By Ben Goren @BenG412 on May 5, 2015, 3:37p

http://www.insidenu.com/2015/5/5/8556021/5-teams-for-northwestern-basketball-to-play-in-non-conference

Please please please please please don't make me watch Mississippi Valley State again.

Our clickbait hard hitting analysis of NU’s non-conference slate continues, this time focusing on Northwestern basketball.

Last season non-conference play was objectively sucky. Sure Northwestern got Butler on the road and Northern Iowa in Mexico, but those were the only games that even had vague overtones of being meaningful.

North Florida? Snooze. Directional Michigans parts one and two? Boring. The big B1G/ACC Challenge opponent, Georgia Tech? Immensely unexciting. Next year already promises to be more exciting, with the Wildcats entered in the same preseason tournament as North Carolina, but let’s shoot a little higher.

I certainly hope last year was the last meeting with Mississippi Valley State.

Here are the top-five teams I want Northwestern basketball to schedule:

1) William & Mary

Everyone knows that Northwestern has never made the NCAA Tournament, but did you know that there are other teams who have been around a long time who have also not made the tournament? The most notable of these teams is the William & Mary Tribe out of the Colonial Athletic Association. Last year, the Tribe came really close to making the Big Dance and came up just short. Wildcat and William and Mary fans should be friends. Let’s all get together and drink to our past sorrows and bright futures.

2) Notre Dame

The last time Notre Dame and Northwestern played in basketball, Northwestern beat Luke Harangody and the rest of the Fighting Irish at the UIC Pavillion. Northwestern went on to lose in the first round of the NIT. Northwestern is kicking Notre Dame’s behind in everything from head-to-head football games to getting NFL players drafted, so why not extend the domination to the basketball court? Plus there's the Duke coaching tree angle with former Duke assistant Mike Brey leading the Irish.

3) Harvard

Tommy Amaker vs. Chris Collins? A year after fighting it out for Aaron Falzon’s commitment? Two nerd schools going at it? Harvard kids versus kids who wish they were Harvard kids? Sign me right up. Harvard, against all odds, is actually a pretty darn respectable college basketball program. I’d like to see a couple of Coach K disciples go at it, just like Notre Dame. Amaker didn’t have the best of times in the Big Ten during his tenure at Michigan. Chris Collins hasn’t been lighting it up just yet, but I’m sure both coaches would want to one-up each other. Plus the student section heckling would be delightful.

4) Marquette

Steve Wojciechowski is looking like Chris Collins 2.0 up at Marquette. Heir apparent at Duke, heads to get a head coaching job and starts raking in recruits. The difference is that Chris Collins is pulling top 100 guys and Wojciechowski is pulling a top 10 guy in Henry Ellenson. Marquette’s 2015 recruiting class is ranked 12th nationally by 247Sports and is headed by Ellenson, the 9th ranked recruit in the nation. Marquette, according to who you talk to, also beat NU to the commitment of three-star wing Sacar Anim. Not only would this be a fun game to watch, it would be a good boost to NU’s strength of schedule, something they need to do if they want to make the NCAA Tournament.

5) Kentucky

Kentucky didn’t even have the best recruiting class in the country so how good can they really be? Not only is Chris Collins a better coach than John Calipari, but NU is also more talented. I’d love to watch the good Wildcats beat up on the bad Wildcats for 40 minutes. Bring it on, Kentucky.

I won’t stop until my mentions on twitter are full of angry Big Blue Nation fans.

swoopem

• All American
Re: Northwestern Fans Want To Play MU!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 04:17:44 PM »
My brother is a junior at MU right now and he took Sports Marketing with Joe Terrian this semester. Anyone who's taken that class knows that guest speakers are the entire class. Last week their last speaker was Bill Scholl and he told the class that ND owes him a favor and that he's going to get them back on the schedule. I talked to my brother yesterday about this and he said that it seemed like it was something that would happen 5 years down the road rather than immediately, but it's still good to know that we're going to get a chance to beat the Domers again.
Bring back FFP!!!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 04:21:10 PM »
My brother is a junior at MU right now and he took Sports Marketing with Joe Terrian this semester. Anyone who's taken that class knows that guest speakers are the entire class. Last week their last speaker was Bill Scholl and he told the class that ND owes him a favor and that he's going to get them back on the schedule. I talked to my brother yesterday about this and he said that it seemed like it was something that would happen 5 years down the road rather than immediately, but it's still good to know that we're going to get a chance to beat the Domers again.

I think there are some issues with scheduling right now. Someone asked a question to Wojo about it the other day and he sounded pretty flustered about it. Said something like "we'll scheduling is something two teams have to agree upon"

It very well could be he just didon't want to get into logistics of scheduling with students but who knows. Getting a good mix of quality and cupcakes is hard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 09:55:19 PM »
Northwestern seems unlikely. Other than forced meetings like tournaments, the guys on K's tree have said they prefer to avoid each other since they are all friends and prefer not to have to watch a friend lose.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 09:16:48 AM »

Steve Wojciechowski is looking like Chris Collins 2.0 up at Marquette.

Words I hope I never read again...
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 09:17:27 AM »
Northwestern seems unlikely. Other than forced meetings like tournaments, the guys on K's tree have said they prefer to avoid each other since they are all friends and prefer not to have to watch a friend lose.

And Crean wouldn't schedule Izzo for the same reason, but It's Indiana.........   ;)

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 10:02:10 AM »
Haha, does this title have the most superfluous exclamation point ever?

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 03:14:01 PM »
Haha, does this title have the most superfluous exclamation point ever?

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 03:53:50 PM »

Apparently no one told this guy because you could strike Notre Dame and Harvard on that basis too. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 07:14:41 AM »
Apparently no one told this guy because you could strike Notre Dame and Harvard on that basis too. 

Indeed. I think he's looking at coach connections too much and not closely enough at AD connections. Three Duke assistants, another team with no NCAA appearances, and Kentucky just for fun. That list makes no sense.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 09:05:36 AM »
Agreed.  He tries to draw parallels between William and Mary on one hand and Marquette on the other with Northwestern.  I think the William and Mary parallel is much more apt.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.