[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Scout: Haanif one of five players outside the Top 50 who could have big impact  (Read 5030 times)

Pakuni

• All American
"The freshman that gets the most attention at Marquette is Henry Ellenson, and there is no doubt that he will have a big impact, but don’t overlook the No. 93 player either in Haanif Cheatham. Cheatham has a ton of versatility and brings a high IQ and impressive skill set to Milwaukee.
Though Marquette has a lot of their key pieces back, one area where there is a major opening for minutes is on the wing, and that is where Cheatham should step right in. He has the ability to make shots, is solid off the dribble, and also is a pretty good passer.
While Cheatham isn’t a tremendous athlete, he does know how to play and that allows him to be solid on both ends of the floor. At Marquette that is needed, and he should get a chance to prove himself right away.
With Ellenson likely next to him at power forward and shooters in Jajuan Johnson and Duane Wilson in the backcourt, look for Cheatham to have plenty of room to work, and make a big impact from day one. "

http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1544075-five-outside-top-50-who-could-have-big-impact?s=75

tower912

• All American
"The freshman that gets the most attention at Marquette is Henry Ellenson, and there is no doubt that he will have a big impact, but don’t overlook the No. 93 player either in Haanif Cheatham. Cheatham has a ton of versatility and brings a high IQ and impressive skill set to Milwaukee.
Though Marquette has a lot of their key pieces back, one area where there is a major opening for minutes is on the wing, and that is where Cheatham should step right in. He has the ability to make shots, is solid off the dribble, and also is a pretty good passer.
While Cheatham isn’t a tremendous athlete, he does know how to play and that allows him to be solid on both ends of the floor. At Marquette that is needed, and he should get a chance to prove himself right away.
With Ellenson likely next to him at power forward and shooters in Jajuan Johnson and Duane Wilson in the backcourt, look for Cheatham to have plenty of room to work, and make a big impact from day one. "

http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1544075-five-outside-top-50-who-could-have-big-impact?s=75

...Though Marquette has a lot of their key pieces back....       While I want to believe that Haanif is going to contribute right away, that sentence makes me seriously question the rest of the article. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
...Though Marquette has a lot of their key pieces back....       While I want to believe that Haanif is going to contribute right away, that sentence makes me seriously question the rest of the article. 

I questioned it right as I read "shooters in Jajuan Johnson..." Not quite.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
This unfortunately reminds me of when reggie Rankin wrote an article about 5 players not in the top 25 who could be one and doneS. He listed jjj.

Fortunately, I do think haanif is in the rotation from day 1. He supposedly has ridiculously high bball iq and great instincts. Can't teach that
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
I questioned it right as I read "shooters in Jajuan Johnson..." Not quite.

Depends on how you define "shooter." JJJ was 3rd on the team in field goal attempts last season despite being 7th in minutes played  ;)

tower912

• All American
So he was very good at shooting.    'Making' is a different question.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Lennys Tap

• All American
So he was very good at shooting.    'Making' is a different question.

The very definition of a chucker.

tower912

• All American
That's what I learned playing basketball in high school.

MUMonster03

• All American
The very definition of a chucker.

JJJ just needs to cut down on his amount of 3's. Overall Duane was a better shooter all year at 39.4% to 37.3%, but when JJJ didn't fall in love with the 3 ball he was actually a better shooter then Duane at  44.7% vs 42.6%. Hopefully Wojo and the staff can coach him into better shot selection. He has the skills just hasn't been able to consistently put it together.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
JJJ just needs to cut down on his amount of 3's. Overall Duane was a better shooter all year at 39.4% to 37.3%, but when JJJ didn't fall in love with the 3 ball he was actually a better shooter then Duane at  44.7% vs 42.6%. Hopefully Wojo and the staff can coach him into better shot selection. He has the skills just hasn't been able to consistently put it together.

My one area of hope is that JjJ is at the same point and timeline of his career that Vander was when he made the leap.  Not saying it will happen, but they have similar styles and deficiencies so maybe there is a parallel.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
This unfortunately reminds me of when reggie Rankin wrote an article about 5 players not in the top 25 who could be one and doneS. He listed jjj.

Which reminds me of Buzz praising JJJ effusively before the 2013-14 season ... and then quickly deciding, "Nah."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
This article was written by a guy who think Duane is our starting PG, when Wojo was telling media that Duane's future is at the 2.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

_____

• Walk-On
shooters in Jajuan Johnson...

That should tell you how much this guy knows

GGGG

• All American
My one area of hope is that JjJ is at the same point and timeline of his career that Vander was when he made the leap.  Not saying it will happen, but they have similar styles and deficiencies so maybe there is a parallel.

Offensively yes.  All around game, JJJ is way behind Vander.

Benny B

• All American
You guys reading something different, because the link I click says "scorers in JaJuan Johnson and Duane Wilson"

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

bilsu

• All American
The only thing that bother me about the article was that it said Cheatham was not a tremendous athlete. Maybe he is another Koenig.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast

Offensively yes.  All around game, JJJ is way behind Vander.

Yes you are correct, should have said from an offensive standpoint.  Vander (and JFB) were the best on ball defenders I've seen at Marquette ever.

I do think JjJ is a hybrid of Jerel and Vander.  He's got Vanders offensive style/capabilities and plays a gambling defense like Jerel did.  I think as of right now he's inferior to both but could have a real leap with an actual coach wanting to work with him this off season
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."